Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

So many people were going around saying "only 0.4% mortality rate" when I really doubt they'd be saying "chill out, it's only somewhere between untreated polio and yellow fever".

The number of people who haven't taken their kids to get their polio booster suggests there are, in fact, plenty of people who think polio is a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Lee Anderson is the epitome of Tory Boy Cuntdom.
It's pure "have you thought about not being poor" dickwittery writ large.

[edit]
To add to this, he was clearly made Deputy Chairman of the Tories to appease the Liberal Ultras-wing of the party. Because if there's one thing the Tories have shown they value more than literally the ground they stand on, it's the Party and the fascists who keep voting them onto the gravy train.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Imagine how poo poo he'd have to be to lose in this climate.

And the funny thing is I can actually imagine him loving it.

Starmer is in deep poo poo if the media decide to turn this into a feeding frenzy. He's a corrupt, uncharismatic, political windsock with no friends in the media and a shadow cabinet cabinet in waiting filled with other corrupt uncharismatic political windsocks who'll gleefully stab him in the back the moment the polls start heading in the wrong direction.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
A Labour win under Starmer at the next election will result in a Tory win at the following GE and possibly another 10-15 years of utter misery.

If Labour don't win in 2024, there is a chance that the sensible politicians will have a tantrum and gently caress off to join the Tories where they belong. Which also means there is a chance for Labour to become better.

It's definitely not certain that Labour can turn a corner, but it's a gently caress of a lot more likely if Starmer loses.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

It's remarkable how little self-respect these cunts have, considering most of them are sociopaths.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Drone_Fragger posted:

Is neil coyle smoking something, the guy will not shut up begging to be let back into labour after bringing the party into disrepute for merely sexually assaulting several people and drinking 20 pints a night.

Edit: huh, someone bought me a new Av and flair. And I have no idea why. Oddly suitable given my partners family is from northern Ireland and escaped persecution in the troubles (for the ""crime"" of being catholic) by emigrating to birmingham.

Neil Coyle previous claim to fame was that 4-5 times a week he'd get piss drunk and tweet a bunch of poo poo.
That, or going out campaigning with his infant child strapped to his chest, which was a totally normal thing to do and not at all because he was being shadowed by a friendly journalist.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The 'Small Boats' thing is, I'm sure, almost entirely manufactured outrage.
It's a useful issue the frothing-at-the-mouth wing of the Tories can point at when they want to have any and all human rights legislation burned, and the New Labour ghouls are fully on board with that as well.
The people ranting the loudest about it are some of the least affected by it. So yeah, total manufactured outrage, to distract (momentarily) from all the things the Tories are loving up all over the place.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Also, the usual free-fall to the bottom of the talent pool that comes when you're the biggest political party. See also: the Tories and Labour.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Most medical professionals you talk to are going to have seen people whose illness/issue is a lot worse than yours. Honestly, if I went to see a consultant and they looked mildly bored by my medical condition, I'd probably be more relieved than anything. It's when they get excited or surprised that it's time to start worrying.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fuctifino posted:

Blair pretended to like D:Ream, and it put a curse on them

Remember their keyboard player? He looks like this now:

He aged better than Blair though

Strange AI mashup of Pierce Brosnan and Brian Cox, but okay.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/Iromg/status/1634679942959988738

A lot of the right wing personalities on twitter are really melting down at the moment
It's quite entertaining

That's almost certainly a libellous statement, too in case known knobhead James O'Brien fancies sueing someone.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The icing on the cake. Another plastic labour face (is there a cloning factory somewhere?)

This very morning:

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1635184281667665922?s=20

Ashworth is married to known racist and misogynist Emilie Oldknow.
So, is he upset that Linekar used the bland, boring language he did when criticising the Tories?
Is he upset that Linekar refused to use any racist or misogynist language in his tweets?
Or is he just another performative hang-wringing New Labour oval office desperate to show how serious the party is about winning the votes of racists everywhere?

Who can tell?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

TACD posted:

i thought making the uk so lovely as to be unappealing even to refugees of war was the explicit goal

And, not for the first time, shows that they don't have a clue about what's going on.
People decide to move to the UK for a variety of reasons, and lots of those include being lied to about what their life will be like when they arrive.

This loving government is so incompetent at messaging - despite having the media on their side; quite literally the only thing they should have going for them - that they can't even persuade the UK public that what they're doing is both needed and helpful, so there's no chance anyone in a different country is going to believe their bullshit for a moment.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Burchill's the one who possibly has brain damage from all the drugs she did when she worked for the NME in the late 70s.
Or who possibly has brain damage from having had a relationship with Tony Parsons.

Or both. Who can tell?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I feel as if there's a difference between me spraying "Cofiwch Dryweryn" on the wall where they replace an independent coffee shop with a Starbucks and me using a word from another language because I think it sounds nicer than the one in my own.
I just can't quite work out what that is.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I genuinely cannot imagine the starmer ultra who would be willing to behead pensioners in support of his leader.

What would such a person be like?

Peter Mandelson?
Easier to suck out the marrow if the head's been cut off, no?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm not convinced there's a country in the world competent enough to pull that off, tbh.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/reformparty_uk/status/1637816613427634178

I'm genuinely worried about Reform now it's in Tice's hands, as he's someone who has the money and connections to do some real harm. Getting Farage back onboard is going to win back a lot of gammon votes, but he also almost definitely has access to Hancock's WhatsApp message archive through his partner, which is a literal MyCrimes.txt implicating everyone in power. It wouldn't be hard to blackmail Tory candidates to step aside, or just release weaponised messages from the WhatsApp archive at the right time through his media connections.

If the Telegraph starts backing Reform, then Tice might be our next dictator, I mean stranger things have happened, and I don't trust the voters anymore.

Reform splits the Tory vote.
For every gammon who would vote Reform, someone else sticks with the Tories because they think Reform go too far.
If they kick up enough of a stink, it makes a Labour government more likely. I'm not sure that's much of an improvement, but there you go.

The big risk is that the Tories get scared and go even further right to try to suck up to the fascists who've been on the fence so far. And that's only a real risk if Labour follow them, since the Tories are too incompetent to actually pass much atrocious legislation in a calendar year.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My train was cancelled, so I'm having a quick look through the first part of Baroness Casey's Review.
Interesting to note that she explicitly calls out Austerity for impacting on the operational effectiveness of the Met and its ability to have ties to local communities.
I'm sure that point will come up in the rounds of interviews today.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's interesting to see a bit of wider discussion about OFSTED.
My experience - as someone who works in schools but isn't a teacher - is that their reports often border on the useless; I've seen schools get praised for aspects of their role that they simply don't do.
So if a school can be considered by OFSTED to be doing something "to a high standard" when in reality they're not doing it at all, why even bother with the charade?
Oh wait, it's because 90% of this is so that middle-class parents can shop around for the 'best' school.
And it's partly why lots of academy chains pay Executive Headteachers a lot of money - they know next to gently caress-all about teaching, but they know how to game an inspection carried out by morons.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Props to the young man driving a BMW (lol, of course) at 7:20 this morning whose car absolutely reeked of weed as it crawled past my bus stop in traffic.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fuctifino posted:

The laughing gas ban has nothing to do with evidence based drugs policy and everything to do with a country that is goose stepping into fascism. It gives the police more excuses for stop and searches with the chance of the CPS criminalising more of the population. There's a lot of money to be made in private prison and probation services. It also cruelly takes away a relatively safe form of escapism compared to what young people could be using, and the Tories love being cruel and increasing the risk of harm.

The cannisters themselves just create a litter problem, which isn't really much of a problem when compared to <points at everything else>. The main issue is that old people are seeing groups of young people enjoying themselves and being loud in public, and for some reason, some old people take offence at that. Kids shouldn't be heard or seen these days, so it seems....

I hope the youth rebel like they did in 2011

I'm not going to argue that there's a fair amount of 'moral panic' about this, but there are serious long-term effects to laughing gas use.
It can cause a functional neurological disorder that can have a huge impact on someone's physical wellbeing. Formerly-healthy teenagers who can't climb stairs or need a walking stick to go down the road.
Dismissing it as "a relatively safe form of escapism" isn't helpful or accurate.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've said it before, but known electoral fraudster Lutfur Rahman's first act as (returning) Mayor of Tower Hamlets was to order the reversal of a bunch of LTN-type infrastructure. He still went ahead with it even when school children were essentially blockading the roads in protest.
For some people, the inability to drive your car WHEREVER I drat WELL WANT TO is an affront to civil liberty that takes precedence over all actual affronts to civil liberty that they don't give a poo poo about.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, every heroin-addicted, khat-chewing, white-cider-drinking muslim is putting on a good show for the fam right now because of Ramadan.
Honestly, it'd be pretty odd if - as a newly-important muslim - he didn't tweet something about it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fuctifino posted:

This has just blown up in my local facebook group - Anger as two-thirds of DMAT staff face redundancy in staffing restructure proposal

DMAT is the Dartmoor Multi Academy Trust which has absorbed ~14 primary schools and 3 secondary schools, There are already major issues with insufficient staffing levels and lack of support for the kids. But they now want to take it further:

In the same local facebook group, there are plenty of posts from boomers complaining about unruly children causing mischief and vandalism, but these fuckwits can never put 2+2 together.

I'm just glad I don't have kids

Nah, it's cool.
They'll just permanently exclude any of the 'problem' children, like every other multi-academy trust run by cunts does.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

Oh god. We’re at the stage of the election cycle where focus groups start pulling these stupid loving stereotypes out of their arses

The kind of charisma that clears entire shopping centres

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Miftan posted:

The obvious follow up is "if Rwanda, a much poorer country, can re-settle that many refugees successfully, why can't we? We've got teacher shortages, nurse shortages, etc. A lot of refugees who come here speak English. This seems like a win-win for the UK?"

That assumes that LauraK actually wants there to be some debate. She doesn't.
Like far too many journalists, she just wants a gotcha answer, so she structures a bunch of her questions to try to get one.
But even someone as hopelessly incompetent as Braverman can have media training to avoid some of those - particularly from an equally-incompetent interviewer.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

Incredible stuff here from the Catholics

If society has broken down to the point you're worried about IEDs on the streets, I think a 15-minute city is the least of your problems.
But I'm not catholic, so who knows.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Rishi, finding out that buses are real and not just something made up for books

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I had that last night, lost access to random bits of the internet, couldn't get on a bunch of sites but youtube and google still worked. Was beginning to wonder if someone hit an undersea cable or something.

I could access BBC, Google (+affiliates) and Amazon but not a few other places and then had moment of sleepy paranoia where I wondered if the anti-Net Neutrality brigade had somehow won while I was asleep.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Does he actually pay people to write tweets like that, or has he let an AI take over?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Nuclear Spoon posted:

had our unison branch meeting today and basically. yeah. the NHS pay deal isn't great. but if we say no then what. we did a poo poo job of getting people to strike the first time round and there's no reason we'll be any better this time.

deadline to vote is friday next week, will probably wait until then to see if anything new comes out.

but a few members did feel kinda pissed that the messaging from unions has been VOTE FOR THIS. OR YOU'LL GET JACK poo poo (but we will be holding a vote about it)

organising in the NHS is loving hard because you're trying to lead hundreds of tired horses to water while also having a job which is also very loving stressful and made hard by the reasons you're trying to strike in the first place

it just feels like poo poo having the tories' boot on our neck for an eternity and having to be grateful for the scraps and whatever you do will be spun to make poo poo harder for you down the line

i'm so tired

Voting No was pretty easy, imo
You just have to click the button

[edit]
The point I've made to others is that this is the same messaging we got from the unions with the 2018 pay deal. "This is a good deal and you should accept it" - it got accepted and then, oh look, when people did the sums it turns out it was a poo poo deal. Bad enough that heads rolled at the RCN.
If we keep accepting poo poo deals from the government, the only message they learn is that they can keep offering us poo poo and we'll eventually accept it.
If the unions can't get a better deal than that, then we need better unions.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 5, 2023

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's good to be reminded that 'tedious middle-class terf oval office' is a type found around the UK, and not just in England.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I enjoy the film of The Martian, but I'd also pay good* money to watch a version scripted by KRS-One.

* - £12 or less

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's the facial expression of a man who's been told he left the kettle on, but he's confused because he doesn't remember boiling his whiskey

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

josh04 posted:

when you're definitely not psycho-sexually obsessed with your predecessor. you're just walking around all day smelling their phantom piss, like a regular election-winning party.

It's also arguable that it's better to have your party based in slightly grotty offices* when you're in opposition, since you can then incentivise people into working extra hard to win an election so that you can move into plushier digs.
But no, these are a bunch of middle-class-with-aspiration manbabies who can only function effectively when the biggest problem with their office is the white powder that weirdly keeps popping up everywhere.

* - we can add 'grotty offices' to the stdh_starmers_labour.txt, I think

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

In the grim darkness of the VIX futures, there is only policy fund collapse.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy I have my NHS pension, because it is really good.
But, I'll be astonished if - given the way things are going - it's still intact by the time I get to the retirement age. It's far too tempting for the Tories (red or blue) to resist selling off to their friend/coke dealer forever.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fuctifino posted:

It's nice to see this reported about on sky news
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1645678794861080578

It was grimly ironic to see that - about a day after Braverman and Sunak were spewing this lie - over a dozen white middle-aged arse-faced cunts got sentenced for running a paedophile ring.
But sure, it's Pakistani men who are the problem.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jedit posted:

Even more so in that they and Patel are gladly selling out their own people to appeal to the racist Tory base who will hate them anyway.

Sunak and Braverman are both Indian, though, by heritage.
I bet they'll both get along grand with Modi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

"there are lots of people to the left of tony blair and to be electable starmer must alienate them"

These people are aware that more people didn't vote at all than voted Tory at the last election, right?
Labour and the media cretins are fascinated by a tiny fraction of the population. For Labour, it's because the 'polling experts' they employ can set up one office and spend the bare minimum necessary to focus on about 5 constituencies worth of Tory swing voters. For the media, it's because the narratives for "we like this person more than the other person" is just within the limits of their talent.