Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

The main reason we need to keep fluorescent lights is that LEDs don't make for very good weapons in deathmatch wrestling, where as long fluorescent tubes are great.

P sure you can get polycarbonate LED lightsabers that will break your opponent's skull first these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The only possible advantage of incandescents (other than tiny signal lights which still have niche uses) is when you need a lot of waste heat for any amount of light. So keeping your shed from freezing in winter, hatching eggs, growing sensitive plants outdoors when they're small, etc.

You can do all of that with flat low wattage heat mats now and not scorch things or set them on fire though.

Incandescents are better for planted aquariums since any old Incandescent will put out the necessary spectra for photosynthesis and heat the tank up to boot. For LEDs you need to be careful as the cheap and cheerful ones might not have the necessary wavelengths.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

CGI Stardust posted:

£6 million for the tumour-detection AI that has 100% accuracy at identifying images containing a measuring tape or ruler

Only applicable to white patients. If you're black or Asian it might misdiagnose your head as a tumour.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, I think it's the other way around - since Starmer's continuity Cameron, a bunch of Eastern Europeans are nervous about him joining those papers in bashing them for cheap pops.

I wouldn't go around pissing off the people who have easy access to man-portable anti tank weapons to be honest.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

*holding chin thoughtfully*

... dunny kruger

Isn't that someone who has a total lack of insight into their own (lack of) capability?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsPR/status/1634248119415353344?s=19

Topping off a banner day at the BBC. Remember, she got the context wrong and said repeated domestic abuse was a one off.

Wonder how'd she feel if she got lamped and was told 'first time's free'.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

To my knowledge, the answer to domestic violence is not usually more violence, and I don't think it's even very good at changing people's minds about violence

I think you'll find that the commentator suggested that just once is fine and not violent at all.

It's only a problem if you make a habit of it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

Cocaine one of the few things immune to inflation. Price of a gram pretty much static for 40 years. Quality is another matter

SMH we should have kept foreign reserves in the white powder instead of the petrodollar.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I mean that is a good idea for datacenters, they generate a huge amount of heat so finding ways to use it is a good idea.

The next time Eve Goons have a gigantic mashup with the rest of the nerds some swimming pool in London is going to turn into a hotpot.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

I wish that ghosts and other supernatural phenomena did exist, because it would be exciting and spooky, but they don't.

We have hugely impressionable minds, which literally just make stuff up all the time (eg everything we think we see in our peripheral vision) ; the closest you'd ever come to 'proving' the existence of ghosts would be proving some kind of psychological trait we have as a species which leads us to believe we see/hear/feel their presence as the result of some kind of stimulus.

You just need to get the BBC and tabloids to publish some stories confirming ghosts exist and they will soon enough.

They managed to create antifa super soldiers, EU immigrants and refugee boats out of thin air, your nan's tortured soul would be a walk in the park by comparison.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone who suggests cats as a humane solution to a rodent infestation has not seen the corpse of a pregnant mouse at the end of a 3m trail of blood and a proud kitty sat on the other end.

They're effective, mind you, but they're about as humane as the plod.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Also because the corruption is kept well veneered from ordinary life. Or at least was.

Having to pass a collection box around on the bus to get the border guard to lift the gate, or know the guy you have to send an envelope of cash to in order to get your electricity or water supply fixed in less than 6 months, or obvious bribery around the planning process for your garden shed, that's the sort of corruption that would annoy the people who write letters to the editor, whereas keeping it all at the level of institutional landlords and contracts and property developers and nebulously worded conflicts of interest makes it more palatable to them.

Corruption for me but not for thee.

Imagine if you could just slip the the DWP assessor :20bux: to pass your application.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jel Shaker posted:

best one i’ve heard is a guy who managed to get an intact lightbulb up there

of course surgeons didn’t piss about with risking the thing popping as they tried to pull it out, guy had surgery and they got it out from above

There was a copy pasta from one of the other subs (GiP?) about a bored Marine who managed a live 40mm grenade/mortar round.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Where was that fighting spirit five years ago!

He saved it for Keith's Final Solution to the Corbyn Question.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
A tank of algae like that will need feeding and constant water flow otherwise you'll end up with dead and rotting zones inside. Also there is always the possibility of contamination and you grow something other than nice green algae, much of which will make that tank look utterly horrid.

You also can't seal off the tank to make a closed system (which can survive), otherwise how would you get the clean air out?

fuckingusername posted:

I don't make a habit of posting but this is twice in two weeks that my other half has dropped my toothbrush in the lav and I have to express my frustration somewhere. My local Boots is an absolutely terrifying place

Might be a bit of a silly question but why is the toothbrush being moved over the lav in the first place? Surely you brush over the sink or if you're a multi-tasker you'd sit on the lav for a casual piss/poop/wank while brushing

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

fuckingusername posted:

Unfortunately our bathroom is without exaggeration slightly smaller than some first class aeroplane cubicles (or so I have been told). The tooth brushes are stored in a cupboard over the lav.

Get one of those toothbrush holders and suction it to the mirror/wall above the sink?

Unless the mirror is above the lav as well :rip:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Microplastics posted:

Put your other half's toothbrush in the lav. Eye for an eye

Brush for brush leaves the whole world caries.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

fuckingusername posted:

I'd be staggered if that poll turned out to be correct. A Labour majority seems relatively likely but not that large. Unless Sunak gets papped eating a bacon sandwich on camera or something.

It'd have to be a steak sandwich for im.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

So he's going to be a tory oval office until 3 months before the election, at which point he'll have a total turnaround.

He's going to be Adolf Hitler until 3 months before the election at which point he goes mask off and full Imperium of Man.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Camrath posted:

Though admittedly my absolute favourite subject was chemistry taught by the great Dr Szydlo. Which if you think about it is just cooking on a very small scale..

Also got taught enough about making explosives to start a pretty good insurgency should the need arise lol

Was there every a high school chemistry class that didn't immediately devolve into attempts to make explosives.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Camrath posted:

To pretty good results actually- we eventually iterated designs for self-igniting Molotovs and thermite grenades. And yes, we did test them out successfully- frankly it amazes me that we made it to adulthood with all our fingers and no criminal records.

Someone is making the entry "useful for the revolution" next to your name in goons.xlsx.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Diet Crack posted:

same family

Wasn't there a chair like this in an Iain Banks novel?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

It's certainly not something to celebrate, but it's an inherent cruelty of hereditary aristocracy. You read any ancient Chinese literature, for instance, and it's astounding how utterly casual they are about total family exterminations as an appropriate way to deal with badly-behaving nobles.

Ironically, though, the way China dealt with its last emperor was rather charmingly humane in comparison.

If you were utterly incompetent and let the rebels walk all over you without putting up much of a fight you got to retire to become the Marquis of Bumfuck in perpetuity. Being overly competent or irritating is what got your family exterminated.

Which probably explains the state of the aristocracy these days.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Once again my moral stance against the death penalty has found the weak link in the chain.

Although in this case the earth-salter does genuinely appear to have the intended effect of people dying of starvation, so a wannabe torturer/murderer.

No need for the death penalty when you everyone has 10 fingers.

One finger per offence. You can do it 4 times before it starts to become a problem :v:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

About as hosed up as pugs. Somewhere some aristo bloodline obsessive is probably trying to crossbreed them.

Crossbreeding aristos makes them less idiotic though. Do we really want competent aristocrats?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pffft that's chump change for an oligarch.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

Forums drama is so upsettingly opaque if you don’t spend your entire life posting across multiple specific threads. It’s like trying to play Elden Ring and understand what the fucks happening.

Someone should make the Saclopedia a wiki and keep it updated for once.

Really weird when you're reading a thread with a couple of camps feuding and suddenly everyone gets together to laugh at some other weirdo instead.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

Good to hear that while our geopolitical opponents are so dangerous that they're threatening the Western Way of Life, they're simultaneously so corrupt and incompetent that their nukes will fizzle out on the launch pads like faulty fireworks :)

Even if it's all true, and 99% of their nukes don't work because of corruption, all it takes is for one to go off to cause the US to massively overreact.

Or would the US be happy to not retaliate with a barrage of (totally functional) nukes and let Washington DC/New York being nuked slide.

Now if that one functioning Russian nuke landed in London/Paris/Berlin they might not kick off thermonuclear armageddon. They might even send Putin a thank you card.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The thing that would have to not work would be the missiles themselves. Like, the outcome of "Russia attempts a first strike but none of its nukes work" would be the US bombing Russia (and likely its other geopolitical rivals) into the stone age before it lost its capability, then looking very silly when all the nukes just plow into the ground.

A side order of nuclear winter and 50% reduction of the global population would do wonders for climate change.

Ecosphere remains hosed though.

And that's assuming the US nukes work as planned and decades of cost cutting and austerity haven't led to the silo doors not being oiled.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

GRRM worked on setting and backstory. Hence all the royal incest.

I bet GRRM intended for "two fingers" and "three fingers" to be some Petyr Baelish character instead of whatever we ended up getting :cthulhu:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm willing to believe the reality is more nuanced than that mental headline but still, wa wa wee wa

I incurred some brain damage for my curiosity but the article is slightly more nuanced and the ex-gf left because she was unable to handle the stress of it all. Still a bit of a dick move but not unexpected and probably better than having a mental breakdown and doing something stupid.

I guess the general thought is where is the balance to be had? Used to be it would all be bottled up until it boiled over in some dramatic fashion, but it sounds like these days it's entirely acceptable to check out and abandon your (former) loved one.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The actual balance is that it's something that men (e.g. Boris Johnson) always did far more often than women, but now that a woman has done it (even after a long discussion) the Mail is interested.

While I would agree with you in principle. She did freely give an interview to the Daily Mail so her decision making process is already highly suspect.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1649424034407280646?cxt=HHwWjMCz7fKa9-MtAAAA
i clicked on this expecting a 30 or 60 day sentence, but no, it's three loving years in prison on a conviction of 'causing a public nuisance'

Don't worry we have free speech and totally don't jail protestors like those China and Russia places.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

verydarkblue posted:

Had not heard of Fiesta Cat before now. I usually work in plush or fleece for bodies but I'll definitely look into it.

Voodoo dolls of reknowned assholes.

Wonder how quickly the police would appear if you had a string of lynched plushies of Tories outside your door.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It underscores how pathetic it was for factions of the 'soft left' to be handwringing about how The Big Lie sounds a bit like an antisemitic conspiracy theory if you have an in depth knowledge of those when Johnson was running around screaming "I am the fuhrer" with his cock hanging out of his trousers.

The actual fuhrer should just have blamed everything on Eva Braun and Himmler instead.

He'd probably have been NATO secretary General.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

MeinPanzer posted:

Anyone else observing the MAB? Thoughts?

Why not do the reverse and max out all the student's scores?

Devalue the university's degrees and gently caress them over.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

I don't think that's right, people in the past placed importance on ceremony just as we do today. They may not have needed the town crier tweeting out announcements on who was carrying what relic to the masses, but I expect the various dukes and earls of medieval England would have cared a great deal about who was carrying the Rod of Many Parts and the Biggoron Sword and so on, because those would be political decisions. Doing a proper coronation would have been an important part of cementing your legitimacy as king because "able to organise a public ceremony" is a key attribute of a good king. In a sense your own coronation is the first big test of your abilities as a king.

Coronations also usually involve senior nobility from the length and breadth of the kingdom (sometimes even other kingdoms) coming to publicly pay homage to the king as an outward sign of loyalty so you usually wouldn't want to rush the process unduly--unless something went seriously wrong in succession you should in principle be surrounded in your first weeks as king by your father's most loyal men, people you should be able to count on to support you, doing a coronation quickly with just these people is kinda pointless. The coronation gets in the nobility from far away, who've maybe never met you, or last met you as a child, and gets them to recommit and swear oaths of loyalty to you. That's the actual important bit of the ceremony for you as king--the crown isn't magic, it's the oaths which give you the ability to rule the kingdom, not the shiny hat.

Also gathers all your potential rivals into the same spot so if you wanted to indulge in a little house cleaning and extermination as a treat you could.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Quiche is gross. Also French, which is the traditional place that failed British kings run away to.

If Britain is supposed to be Global Britain now, and making a show of friendship with the Commonwealth and the CPTPP, they should have gone with Coordination Poutine or Coronation Meat Pie or something. Maybe not Coronation Grilled Sausage, he doesn't like people noticing.

Coronation Pink Slime from the USA.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

Half the world's royals are going to be at the coronation, this could be a real bumper weekend for small businesses in London who sell guillotines.

Corbyn should show up with a hammer and sickle and challenge the King's Champion for the Divine Right of KingsChairmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looks like the outfit from this classic