Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Camrath posted:

(For the record, as I’m sure I’ve stated before, I’m pretty sure ghosts are a natural phenomenon that we just haven’t figured out the mechanism for yet. They’ve been common to every human culture and society across the planet going back to prehistoric times.)

the mechanism is human brains op

the way they work, they make humans imagine ghosts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
I don't understand the thread title

The USA version I do understand, it goes like this: drink a fifth - plead the fifth

"A fifth" is 1/5 of a gallon which is approx 0.7 in actual units, i.e. a wine bottle or whatever

Pleading the fifth means not talking to the filth (probably always a good idea, at least in the US)

Tanks for comin gto my ted talk

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

His Divine Shadow posted:

I never constructed a building before either but I gave it a try and it looks pretty good IMO, I loving hand hewed the logs that make up the roof beams, with an axe, that I rehung myself! If I went back in time and told 20 year old myself what I've done he would not believe me.

Link doesn't work m8

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Lt. Danger posted:

if I were in this situation I would simply not create a taxonomy of different bigotries

Yeah, this thing is just incredibly frustrating. I love Diane Abbott but this letter is such a massive own goal for literally no reason, just indefensible bullshit. I had heard she was having some health issues, massive stress for sure... wish she had just retired or something before writing such letters. Now she's done massive damage with this thing and will be forced to retire anyway. :(

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

forkboy84 posted:

Prefects weren't a thing in my school until I was in 5th year IIRC. Maybe 4th, but at least half way through High School. It was loving pointless, people only wanted to be a prefect because they got to go for lunch 5 minutes early, in theory because they were meant to spend lunch overseeing everyone else but in reality that absolutely did not happen. Seemed a waste of time but apparently universities liked it on applications

i don't have kids so i don't actually know much about the uk school system, despite living here, but literally everything i learn about it just makes me want to both laugh and cry

religion in schools, school uniforms, "free school meals" (?????), loving prefects and head boys and valedictorians, public schools, on and on

e: also schools segregated by gender

jaete fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
The mortgage situation is pretty weird, since it also affects landlords massively, and one would think the tories would do everything they possibly can to make sure landlords don't suffer

Of course the simplest explanation is that the tories have no idea how to do anything at all about... well, anything, but especially not about inflation