Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haakman
May 5, 2011
Goons, I could do with some advice/a soundboard if possible?

My wife and I purchased a leasehold in 2019. The freeholder is the Council. In 2021 we received a bill for 5 grand out of nowhere for maintenance costs. After much investigation it turns out this was for work undertaken in 2015/2016. The council didputed the cost of this work (for communal areas) and only settled in 2020 - thus the final invoice to the council was raised, paid and recharged in 2020/2021. The council are insisting that as we are the current leaseholder we are liable.

We contacted our solicitors who acted for us and they confirmed the enquiries to the seller were blank on this matter. One even asks if you are aware of any works which invoices haven't been raised for!

Our solicitor then calmly washed their hands of any liability and has now asked us to litigate against the previous owner

Finally on closer inspection of the purchase documents I can see that the previous owner *did* say they had paid for works on the balcony (false, but not blank) - did my solicitor drop a bollock here?

I'm sure it is all perfectly legal in this hellcountry but it just seems drastically unfair that we can be lumbered for a 5k debt for something we had no idea about - we would've just bought a different house!

haakman fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU