Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Renfield posted:

My experience of getting a mortgage - offer accepted on flat for £111k. Flats in the same block had recently sold for 115-120.. the bank valued the property at 80k *just* low enough to incur the "Higher Lending Charge" with the deposit I had, by pure coincidence.
This was 2007, so I was lucky that I didn't go through with it just before the big crash.

I'm buying a flat at £110k right now, higher priced than the others in the block but it has been fantastically done up and I wanted to move in the instant I set foot in it, compared to the featureless white-walled boxes in the rest of the block that made me pull a :geno: face.

I am now envisioning the bank deciding that it is actually a valueless shitbox, but I am fortunate enough to work for a large estate agency firm (in IT) and got some employee perks, so if it all goes horribly wrong then I haven't actually had to spend much money up front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Getting flashbacks to when I saw comments on BBC articles about ZaNu Lie-bour under Tony B-Liar from people who then turned around on a dime to suck the collective dick of Tory austerity despite it blatantly making GBS threads up the economy, likely for them specifically too.

What was that ZaNu thing about anyway? I didn't know then and I can't even hazard a guess now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm sorry, the ambassador of what now.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/13/fiona-bruce-to-step-down-as-refuge-ambassador-over-stanley-johnson-comments

loving parody country.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

"Your lot"

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

He's still a oval office, obviously, but maybe this is a sign of the tide turning on the "trans debate".

Allowing themselves to be associated with literal sieg heiling Nazis might not have been the winning move that the terfs thought it was. That might genuinely have been the last straw that gave some people pause for thought.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

kecske posted:

what happens when a company you engage in presumably good faith to clear out some rubbish goes and dumps it in a layby somewhere, and then something with your name and address on is later found in the pile? are you liable?

Keep the invoice and you should be fine.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Harshly fining people while not making any provisions is extremely bad, but litterers are total cunts and smokers have gotten away with being defacto exempt for way too long, so buy a little stub holder and don't complain about getting rightly called out for being a selfish prick.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Can it, poindexter!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You should all check the rest of that thread, it's a train wreck from start to finish.

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1642810189102428161?t=2eyj0RkrqvT_kSOD2InMUQ&s=19

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1643520691013054465

:toot:

e: There is no answer to the equation φ(x) = 114, making 114 a nontotient.

Does this mean they're planning to leave the trash where it is until the perpetrator is caught, assuming they are (which they won't be, because people will just go to anywhere that doesn't have a security camera)?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

myfriendsarejustoffscreen.png

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yay, larp chat. Curious Pastimes in a couple of weeks, I am going to spend most of it hiding in bushes and jumping out at people, because that's just the kind of game I like to play.

I am currently in the middle of buying my first home and am less stressed about moving than I am about still being stuck in a rat infested shithole with no insulation and too many people and also it's the reason I decided to buy in the first place, so it's been really hard to get in the mood for spending a weekend hauling around the absolutely stupid amount of gear my character has, but I really need a solid weekend away from this place.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Camrath posted:

All of us should decide on a system, turn up and rock some sort of monster-munch themed cult or something of similar cringe levels.

Some people I know are running a new British-themed post-apocalyptic system called The Gritlands, and as one of the guys has Oxo cube armour you could absolutely do a Monster Munch cult.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I got turned off Curious Pastimes after one event when I met a character called "Mister Fu" who was a white guy doing a stereotypical racist "ah so" asian impression.

I understand he's no longer there, but it really soured it for me. The whole vibe felt really old school in an unpleasant way. That and the fact that I don't want to be stabbed when I go to the loos.

Yeah, those are definitely artefacts of another time, it's still a pretty white-rear end system of course but a lot more inclusive than it ever was; there's a number of visible trans people there and they've been making a lot of effort the last few years to make the events more accessible for people with disabilities.

The system is much more geared towards cooperation now and facilities are fully OOC too; there's kids nowadays who'll never know the thrill of random muggings or your camp getting steamrollered by three other factions. They don't know they're born these days. :corsair:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I found a sweet set of dragon-themed armour in Farum Azula and stuck a giant pair of horns on my head and I look rad as poo poo.

I went full bleed with shitloads of Arcane, and while I very much love it I'm extremely mad that everyone talked me out of Madness "because it only deals good damage against NPCs and players" and it turns out that no, it's absolutely ludicrously OP against most bosses as well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Apologies for bringing the mood down on a Friday, but I'm not seeing the usual clues that this 2000AD-rear end tweet is satire?

https://twitter.com/DWPgovuk/status/1648998758766575619?t=HcA49efFkwKzNIgYwSDgtA&s=19

And it seems that our absolute normality is starting to concern some people:

https://twitter.com/rosekilnwitch/status/1649099272418213898?t=UorvD19fwK1qiHNfuokHjA&s=19

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My phone didn't go off, but one of my housemates did. I know they need people to hear it but drat, maybe something a little more pleasant.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's a perfectly painted picture of a Lads Lads Lads guy

It's just this, goons. That's all it is.

Please, it is Friday. I beg of you.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Britons have a pathological obsession with Enjoying The Sun - if the sun comes out then they will immediately say they need to go outside "because there's a lovely bit of sun for a change" and would cook themselves alive in 60C heat in pursuit of this.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The royals and the media going for Diana 2.0:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/17/prince-harry-and-meghan-in-near-catastrophic-car-chase-with-paparazzi

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There was a large crowd marching through Manchester just now against what appeared to be every wingnut conspiracy theory going - vaccines, digital currencies, fifteen minute cities, you name it. Just absolutely uncoordinated and bizarre.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The first episode of each season of Lower Decks has always been the weakest, and the very first episode in particular has big pilot episode energy.

I liked seasons one and two and they were clearly written by people who loved TNG-era Trek, but they did often feel like sitcoms in Star Trek clothing, because they feel kind of nervous and unconfident in their ability to tell a story and have a tendency to undercut any serious moment and cram in too many gags.

Season three is an absolute glow up, it feels much more relaxed and confident and while not fundamentally different it does now feel like actual Star Trek, just lighter and punchier.

All of the new live action series are utterly wretched. Strange New Worlds isn't any better, it is exhausting to watch and RLM were bang on the money when they said that everyone talks like high school students.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Time to switch to the superior Ripple.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No, a Ripple, because it tastes so much better. I will accept Twirl as a substitute though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gorn Myson posted:

If Labour get elected I'm going to take bets on how long it takes for Dunt to post about how disappointing Starmer is as a PM.

He's already arguing that Starmer can't be expected to do anything good in his first term and that it all hinges on a second term, so they are just full-on cultists now where success will always be another term away and always being thwarted.