Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Good news, guys. Journos have decided that it’s safe to admit the Panorama episode on Labour antisemitism was bullshit now that there’s no danger of any meaningful change

https://twitter.com/georgemonbiot/status/1630655197683806209?s=46&t=aMjF0h9kLuBVAKyZ-PPWUw

Yes, I don't know what's happened over there! Also published a letter from the two Jewish women accused of a potential-future-thought-crime that never was, as well as the Monbiot thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

domhal posted:

If someone hasn't got a hang of percentages vs decimals by 16, the A-level math curriculum is unlikely to be of much use.

I don't think he meant for them to study A-level maths in particular, just keep up with some maths. People seem to lose whatever they might have known at school within a year or two of leaving.

The standard of maths throughout British population including many senior people in senior posts is dreadful as I discovered when reporting to various Boards of large organisations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

domhal posted:

That makes more sense. In Scotland, if you don't do well enough at 16 to go into the next level of maths (used to be called Highers), you would instead take a sort of repeat of 15-16 year olds' maths (used to be called Intermediate 1 or 2). Dunno if England has something similar.

There is a 'stand alone' Level 3 maths qualification.
And if you do IB (no idea how many schools in UK do that) there is (or used to be anyhow about 10 years ago) a compulsory 'maths studies' thing you had to do if you weren't doing SL maths or HL maths.
I expect there are other options depending what else you might be doing for the 16-18 years.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I just did a tweet at the tories including the words 'tory idiots' and twitter said "most people don't tweet like this are you sure you don't want to change it" (or something like that). Anyway, I tweeted it. But I mean, has twitter auto-mod ever read twitter?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Poor families in the past had quite decent council houses with gardens. I know not all - but he's from Nottinghamshire and they probably did better than the Gorbals or the most desperate parts of other cities.

Quite how you're supposed to grow your own food in a high rise block where you might have a couple of windowsills you could put a window box on, I don't know. And the waiting for allotments where they exist is years' long.

Our local allotments have a 5 year waiting list and some of the allotments have fallen in to rack & ruin but because whoever the 'tenant' is continues to pay the annual sub, there's apparently nothing anyone can do about it. If I were on the council, I would get that changed.

I was going to say undoubtedly his family and neighbours had a lot of donated help from lefties during the miners' strikes (when he would have been in his teens) but then remembered Nottinghamshire miners didn't go in for the strikes as hard as Yorkshire etc. I have some vague memory that the Nottinghamshire miners set up an alternative union to the NUM maybe - it's almost 40 years ago.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 2, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I worry sometimes that if you brushed my hair wrong and stuffed me into a suit I would look like a youngincreasingly middle aged tory.

Like is it style or is there actually some skull measuring you can do to find tories?

I know the answer to this, but it contains a derogatory term which seems to have originated from an Old Norse term for lady bits. With 'ometer' on the end.

If you hold it up and it glows red, you are a tory, if it glows green you are safe.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I was more meaning that it really feels like you can clock a tory just by looking at their head shape, which worries me because I don't feel like that's true in any other instance but god drat do young tories have a really distinct look, and it feels like it runs deeper than just a bad haircut and a suit.

Young tories have a certain look which I'm sure they cultivate. My nephew, son of Tory Boy, has gone out of his way to cultivate that kind of "Junior Rees-Mogg" look despite being considerably more round in shape than the Haunted Pencil.

But when you get older it's harder to tell just by looking, which is not to say people won't 'decide' based on their own prejudices.
Woman in a business suit? Defo a tory. Not.
Woman in long floaty skirt with umpteen scarves - defo Green. Not.
Woman with short hair, dangly earrings, stripey trousers and those weird vegan black strap shoes, definitely the L part of LBGT+. Not.

I'm just laughing because for some reason this reminds me of when two gay male friends stayed overnight with me on their way cross country to Ireland and they sported wedding rings. They took mum & me out for a meal and my mum suddenly rushed off to the loo. Later she said "I was just about to ask about whether their wives minded them going off on a trip together when it suddenly clicked! So I went to the loo to stop myself blurting it out about wives".

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 2, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/Obsayxx/status/1631225759900549121?s=20

I wonder how many people expelled from the Labour Party have actually been expelled SPECIFICALLY for anti-semitism rather than other trumped up charges?
I would have thought LP would have been careful not to state anti-semitism given libel / slander etc laws?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I always remember Mick McGahey on tv during the strikes saying "Get out ma bloody road". I'd love to find a clip of it but alas it was years before youtube existed!

I still mutter it under my breath when I'm undergoing trolley rage in the supermarket or pool rage at the swimming pool.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Anyone know about s20 notices here?

If there is enough money (say £20k) in the sinking fund to cover the cost of remedial works to the roof (£20k), do you still need to serve a s20 as the notional cost per flat (albeit no extra charge will need to be raised) is above the £250?

Prof Google has not assisted in my search for an answer.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I looked up what Chief of Staff does a couple of weeks ago. Seems they're like the Office Manager and get the photocopying done for the 'important' people.
Sounds so grand though.

Anyway:

Is it 'hubris'? "Major coup for the Labour leader and part of an effort to prove the party is preparing for govt."

15 seconds in:

quote:

The shadow cabinet which labour has taken to calling 'the cabinet in waiting'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TOgB3Smvro

Narrator: Reader, it wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh8ktNsie0I

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 2, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jakabite posted:

The lead officer on my case just got fired for extremely gross misconduct including lying, misogyny, racism, homophobia, joking about Sarah Everard, drinking on the job and a litany of things. He also sent my solicitor evidence from a whole other case which is a criminal offence. The prosecution have missed all their disclosure deadlines so I suspect this is why. Lol. Gonna get a big fat Chinese takeaway to celebrate. And it was my birthday yesterday, best present ever. Sorry I know this is just me blogging my life but thought some of you would want to know, and it’s nice to have some good news for once.

gently caress you Giles you smug piece of poo poo. Who’s laughing now, oval office?

(If anyones interested, his last name is the room you prepare food in but with an er on the end)

Good news for you (I hope!)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

It gets worse!

https://twitter.com/driandunce/status/1631061654988259328?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not sure but Dr Dunce sounds like a parody account

Already had bluebells out here. And the daffodils are poking through the ground now & will probably flower in the next week.

Could be! Trevor Bastard-adjacent shitposter Dr. Ian Dunce

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Simon Harris (the RNLI Flying Farage guy) is running one of his periodic fundraisers some might be interested and in a position to contribute:

This one follows 30p's comments about people using food banks then being seen in McD (and who knows if it was a gift from a grandparent, or apparently some local McDs are donating vouchers to local food banks) or just maybe it's cheaper for the family to eat & stay warm there than at home.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/maccieswithoutmalice

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

cat botherer posted:

people getting free green beans from a food bank and then going out for prime rib - makes me SICK

Actually, canned green beans do literally make me sick.
Frozen ones are fine though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

That reminds me I had been reading up on the history of the Miami Showband massacre a while back. That one turned out to be a botched Boomerang*.

*= This was a term I learned from "Condor" ,the TV adaption of the film "Three Days of the Condor" which was an adaption of the book "Six Days of the Condor".
Basically it is when an intelligence service stages a terror attack against it's enemies but does it in such a way as to look like their enemies accidentally killed themselves. The classic example is a bomb maker accidentally blowing up their own HQ.

I'd forgotten about that massacre. I just skimmed the wiki on it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Showband_killings

And quelle surprise, "UK Home Secretary Roy Jenkins introduced the Prevention of Terrorism Act, which gave the government unprecedented powers against the liberty of individuals in the United Kingdom in peacetime" (Jenkins was labour at the time).

I'm thinking of the back history of the Labour party and without researching all the details just going on half-remembered memories, the 'Westminster' party have been 'establishment men' from the start. Didn't they betray the South Wales miners back in the 1920s or did I imagine that?

(Aside: why can I smell meat pies being cooked (I never buy meat pies) and I just went out to the corridor and noone is cooking them in their flats either? I keep smelling odd things around this time of night, it seems to be phantosmia. Weird. Or what?)

Just reading more of that Miami Showband article. No wonder the establishment are so keen to prevent military from being prosecuted. What else will come out if they get in the dock?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 3, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

The one good thing I can think of to say about Jenkins was that he did say that he didn't care how much Ronnie Biggs stole compared to the costs of extraditing him, bringing him back in front of a court was more important, which makes him look almost principled compared to "we will break international law to make sure that we never have to see Shamima Begum again because the Mail said she isn't really british and we're more scared of them" from more recent home secretaries.

That's a very small one good thing.

Sounds like left utopianism to me.

Dragging out names of people that are on the edge of my memory when I first became aware of politics as a thing - Manny Shinwell!
My first instinct on reading his name just now in your link was "mate of Tony Benn" so now I have to google and see if they were on the same side.

Ed Well he gets a mention in the same breath as Corbyn, Benn & Nye Bevin. So maybe!
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/sunderland-echo/20150903/281663958775172

Just Another Lurker posted:

You can choose anything from a cold to a mini stroke for that one, takes very little for the sense of smell to go all weird.

Not a cold and I don't think it's a mini stroke. I know a couple of people (including my dad who had those) and they were hopelessly confused for a few hours. I don't think I've been hopelessly confused lately (with my 'being serious' hat on).

Ed2:

quote:

(8) Henry (Chips) Channon, diary entry (4th April, 1938)
An incident in the House of Commons. Mr Shinwell made himself highly objectionable, and unfortunately, Commander Bower, the (Conservative) member for the Cleveland Division of Yorks shouted 'Go back to Poland' *- a foolish and provocative jibe, though no ruder than many that the Opposition indulge in every day. Shinwell, shaking with fury, got up, crossed the House, and went up to Bower and smacked him very hard across the face! The crack resounded in the Chamber - there was consternation, but the Speaker, acting from either cowardice or tact, seemed to ignore the incident and when pressed, refused to rebuke Shinwell, who made an apology, as did Bower, who had taken the blow with apparent unconcern. He is a big fellow and could have retaliated effectively. The incident passed; but everyone was shocked. Bower is a pompous rear end, self-opinionated, and narrow, who walks like a. pregnant turkey. I have always disliked him, and feel justified in so doing since he once remarked in my hearing 'Everyone who even spoke to the Duke of Windsor should be banished - kicked out of the country'. But the incident does not raise Parliamentary prestige, especially now, when it is at a discount throughout the world.
*Shinwell was Jewish.
https://spartacus-educational.com/TUshinwell.htm

LOL - Bower is a pompous rear end, self-opinionated, and narrow, who walks like a. pregnant turkey. - Sounds like BloJob.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 3, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Times is reporting this morning that the energy price guarantee will continue from 1st April for another 3 months.
I don't see it reported anywhere else (other than references back to this Times article).

https://archive.is/qM0Hf

UK energy price guarantee ‘to remain for another three months’
Bills limit was due to rise to £3,000 a year from April but Jeremy Hunt set to keep it at £2,500

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

A 'poo poo cow' scenario, if you will.

With the 'smart cow' situation, only one cow needs to figure out how to open the gate for all the cows to leave, so with 'build a better lightbulb' multiple competing ideas are a good thing.

With many cows figuring out how to poo poo in my yard without me noticing only one of them needs to succeed for me to have a big poo poo in my yard.

Can't you use the toilet like normal people? ;)

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What loving justification does anyone have to argue for incandescent light bulbs? Do they feel their energy bills are too low?

I remember the last place I rented, probably around 2011, had a living room lit by 9x 50W GU10 halogen bulbs. 450W just to keep the lights on.

Some reckon the new sort of lights flicker and give them headaches. (I think that was more the CFL light bulbs rather than the LEDs but they probably have fixated on that from CFL days, or maybe they still haven't blown.), or just 'bloody EU'.

But worth considering that incandescents would provide more heat to the room than low watt bulbs so the energy isn't necessarily wasted in the winter at any rate.
I did get my dad's mother & child lamp after he died. The elongated bulb in the top bit went and I discovered on going to renew it that it was 150 or 250W (can't remember now!) and I used to run it 5-6 hours every evening. Stopped using it and made no other changes to my electricity usage and my bill went down £5 a month just by that. (This was 2016!)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 3, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

did she do anything?

i can't remember anything about truss being PM because the queen died and there was a lot of stuff about that

The best thing Trussy did was manage to be PM when Brenda died. I'm sure she (Brenda) hung on just long enough to see off Boris.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Persons living in Wales - avoid Newport on 28th/29th April. Either that or turn up with a placard & loud hailer.

https://twitter.com/AndrewRTDavies/status/1631596401644675072?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

domhal posted:

Bring back chokes!

Bring back starter handles!

Meanwhile: the question is, will the Starmeroid boot Hodge out of the party?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/03/benjamin-netanyahu-israel-jewish-diaspora-palestinians
Netanyahu has brought Israel to a dangerous moment. We, the Jewish diaspora, cannot just stand by
Margaret Hodge

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 3, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Ideally of course you avoid tsunamis by being not near the coast or high up, but failing that if you do a frame perfect dodge cancel you can clip through the tsunami's damage field and then you just have to swim for a while.

Reminds me of that time they did a "property hotspots for if nuclear war breaks out" and for some reason they suggested whitby, despite RAF fylingdales being like 10 miles down the road and being the first thing that gets turned into a glowing crater.

When you hear the air attack warning you and your family must race up to Whitby buy all the property and let it out at extortionate rent to all the nuclear refugees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO1HC8pHZw0

If I were in the strike zone then yes, run out and make sure I'm wiped out in the first blast. Otherwise I'm too much of a FOMO to do that. I always wonder how I'd work out in a post-apocalyptic world. What is the perfect amount of obesity to (a) have enough in built fuel storage to keep me going (b) but not so obese as not to be able to run from the cannabalistic skinnies. Wish I'd passed that CBT test now instead of mowing the cones over and then when I finally got out on to the road going A over T over the handlebars and ending up on the road with a motorbike on my back.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 4, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1631733960588816387?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

It's like people who move next door to 1000 year old churches and complain about the call to service bell ringing on Sundays.

Anyway muckspreading complaint

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/londoner-claims-smell-muckspreading-forced-9469813

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 5, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Erm .. aren't you supposed to want to rule in perpetuity not just give the other guys respite care for 5 minutes!
https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1632642841892605952?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just came across this link posted in a comment on the Graun:
Maybe of use to some of you wrangling with the DWP.

quote:

The Free Representation Unit provides free legal representation for people in this type of situation. We represent people in tribunal hearings and have a very high success rate as DWP decision making is often poor. 68% of PIP decisions were changed by the tribunal in the latest statistics. Unfortunately people do have to wait months before the independent tribunal reviews their case. Our service can be accessed and supported at this link https://www.thefru.org.uk/donate.

https://www.thefru.org.uk/

Article the comment is under:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/06/england-2023-welfare-system-debt-state-support

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oh now they want martial law (in the UK) because of Ukraine

https://twitter.com/ricwe123/status/1632870765115629568?s=20

Oh so what would that mean for us?

Being shot for 'sedition' - that's contributors to this thread all on the Marlboros then for a start off.

Ration books, black markets, rampant identity theft... Must give Foyle's War another watch.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Angrymog posted:

Apropos of nothing, does anyone know how working for a UK company works if you're living abroad? (My post is work from home except for 1 day a month)

Things may have changed as what I know from living abroad is a few years ago now:

(a) I have a friend who worked for a UK-based company but which operated globally. She was paid in sterling into a UK account. She has an Egyptian husband and spent most of her time based in Cairo because her work's opinion was 'we don't care where you live so long as you still do the travelling' (which was actually easier from Cairo than UK!)

(b) I did some work abroad and when I was paid by an Egypt-based company into my Egyptian account, I paid Eyptian taxes. But I didn't always work in a financial year and after a consultation with HMRC, their decision was that if I was paid in the UK into a UK bank account I should pay UK taxes (I did some remote self-employed work then over the internet- years before covid was twinkle in a virus' eye). Egypt & UK have (had?) a double-taxation agreement so if you paid tax on income in one of them you didn't have to pay further tax on that same income in the other. This is NOT the case with some other countries - I believe Canada is (was?) one such from things friends who have moved to Canada have told me - you would pay the tax in the country in which you were paid and then pay further tax in Canada on the SAME income. *looks like the position re Canada may have changed since 2019.

Found this link for you

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides...esident%20here.

List of countries with double-taxation treaties with UK:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/tax-treaties

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 7, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

You should arrange to have that from the moment you own the bricks and mortar, even if you don't want the contents insured.

It's insurance against you having to pay the bank for the rest of your life while still having to pay rent somewhere else if something bad happens to the whole structure of the building.

I think it's from date of EXCHANGE you need it.

This seems more and more to be the same as the completion day which alarms me when thinking about it as the whole thing can fail 1 nanosecond before exchange and you might be left homeless or in a collapsed chain.

If the mortgage co (bank or building society) offer you less than you have offered for the property, then either you go back to the seller with a revised offer or you have to find the difference from somewhere else - Dear Uncle Bart, I know we've never been close, but I need £10k sharpish. Your loving nephew Homer.

This can have a knock on effect on other aspects of the purchase but I can't think what they are right now!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 8, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

bornbytheriver posted:

Can I just say thank you to all of you. I really appreciate it. Please excuse my inexperience and forrinness.

Also depending where you live you might well want to fork out £30 or so for Chancel Repair insurance.
There are some old clauses where if the chancel of a local parish church needs fixing you're in for a share of that. Given the amount of money you're shelling out to buy somewhere, for £30 (well that's what I paid in 2019 and there are several churches within a mile of my flat), it's worth the peace of mind.

Read about it here - I have no ties to compare the market and I don't think I insured via them anyway! It was just a reasonable overview that came up on google!

https://www.comparethemarket.com/home-insurance/content/chancel-repair-liability/

There's other insurances you might want to consider depending on the location - eg mines & minerals insurance if there's any possibility of mining having gone on.

Other things you might want to do, join the facebook nimby/curtain twitchers page for the area you're planning to buy in. (It won't call itself that btw!) good way to find out about planning development proposals in the area that are nowhere near permission level (and not come up in legal searches) but you can bet the local greens (aka nimbys in tory town) will be on the case for anything in the wind.

(And yes, insurance can be a scam but with a large purchase, it's a judgement call).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 8, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV11t_qYikg

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

fuctifino posted:

I assumed those pledges were already shredded.

I thought that was a Trevor Bastard affiliated satire account....

.... it's not, is it?

Don't think so. She has a slot on GBNews here re Hancock threatening to withhold funding for a disability centre from a fellow tory mp's constituency:
(1 minute in)
Spoilered for those who don't want GB News on their gadgets.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1633233686119186433?s=20

But I might be wrong, I've been taken in a couple of times by TBEU.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Cairo - 3 days between offer and completion. Cannot believe the palaver this end.
I managed to buy my flat here in 6 weeks (not including the 2 weeks my seller disappeared immediately after I made the offer). But as no-one gives mortgages to old biddies pushing 60 with small incomes had to raid every spot of savings and pension I could to be a cash buyer. Did my own searches and saved a couple of months.
It's 26sqm NIA but it's all mine. And thank goodness I did because when COVID hit 3 months after I moved in my main savings account from which I was paying £600pm rent was frozen for over a year and I'd have been in deep doggy do.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I think "Modern Slavery System" is a jargon used by ministers etc, but to we the plebs it reads completely differently to what they intend.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/confusing-government-language-migrants-left-213019872.html

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

(From 2021 under the Patel regime).

The language seems rather inflammatory to me.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/alarming-rise-of-abuse-within-modern-slavery-system

quote:

Major increases in child rapists, people who threaten national security and failed asylum seekers clogging up modern slavery system.

In 2019, of those referred into the National Referral Mechanism after being detained within the UK (totalling 1,949), 89% received a positive initial decision which means their referral is considered further with more rigorous assessment.

etc

So 89% get a positive initial decision but major increases in bad guys. Doesn't quite add up IMHO.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Skull Servant posted:

I swear to God someone needs to show these people another political poster. Maybe they'll realize part of the reason they look similar on the surface is because that's what political advertising looked like during that time.

Yes, they didn't have the colour printing capabilities we have now and for all I know they may have been printed using silk screens or giant blocks of jelly and maybe only 4-6 colours available. When I was at junior school in the 60s, we had these roller things that you dipped in paint and ran over stencils.

This first one is very reminiscent of 'labour isn't working' and whatever the farage thing was.

Quite an interesting article on poster production:

https://www.internationalposter.com/a-brief-history-of-the-poster/

Just remembered the dreaded school banda machine:

https://www.1900s.org.uk/banda.htm

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 8, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/StevePowers_/status/1633752874596417536?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Private Speech posted:

What if my grandfather was in a concentration camp but not jewish, does that make me ineligible.

I mean I know it does for these types, but the industrial methods bit was still there.

My dad who was a young kid during WW2 was banging on about 'Why didn't the Poles do more to help the Jews' one time and my friend whose Polish non-Jewish grandfather was interred said 'Because it was happening to them too!' - dad really had no idea about non-Jewish victims.
IIRC (and feel free to correct my figures if nec) 6 million Poles were killed of which 3 million were Jewish and 3 million non-Jewish.