Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I'll be honest, I had to read that Rishi Sunak boat graphic multiple times, it took me ages to grasp what it's attempting to get across.

"If you come here by boat we won't protect you from our slavery system?...what?"

The guys team is either incredibly incompetent or he has people trying to stealth sabotage his poo poo.

Edit dog tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

Overall I'm still glad I moved here. I wouldn't move back - the political climate in the UK and the press are just too depressing.

I don't particularly think the UK political climate is all that unique. Many European countries are currently wrestling with right wing popularism. The media though is probably the worst in the world.

At least I can just disengage though. Every now and again I just unbookmark this thread and I generally feel better for it, but then some big thing happens and I just got to see what the threads take is.

My wife leads a pretty blissful life completely devoid of politics, she couldn't care less.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Can't see this happening given how much MPs, govt ministers, cops etc use Whatsapp & I'm not convinced most of them would have the know-how to get round it with a VPN.

https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/whatsapp-uk-ban-online-safety-bill-update-b2297496.html

It was always doomed to fail. Was just a case of if it failed before or after it was signed in.

Julio Cruz posted:

people on FB seem to be pushing this:

https://action.electoral-reform.org.uk/page/123606/petition/1

I haven't yet suggested crossing out "male supermajority in the"

If women want to get into the lords they can bribe their way in like everyone else, it's only fair.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

US: We'll ban TikTok for being a security risk.
UK: We'll ban WhatsApp for being secure.

Remarkable scenes.

I saw people claiming critics of the bill are "going to bat for big tech" and god drat did it boil my piss.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

keep punching joe posted:

Why do they need to ban WhatsApp again? I thought all 5 eyes intel basically had backdoor access to everything anyway?

Contrary to :tinfoil: the government doesn't have nearly as much access as they would like. This attack on end to end encryption dates back decades, but the arguments of catching standard criminals or terrorists haven't worked.

So now it's "think of the children"!

That any solution would be completely unworkable doesn't seem to register.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Testro posted:

On end-to-end encryption chat, are there any apps that people would recommend for messaging/voice calls, or are they all much of a muchness if they're declaring they're encrypted?

No not all encryption is equal.

Signal is king, whatapp is pretty good too. Both use the same open source protocol.

WhatsApp is slightly less trustworthy being owned by Facebook (or whatever they call themselves now) and have more data on who you are etc, but in terms of the content of the actual messages being sent, they are the same.

So if you are just chatting with friends then WhatsApp is fine. If you are organising protests or anything like that then i would strongly recommend using signal instead as it has more advanced security and privacy features.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 10, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

You could say, it was an own goal :laugh:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's very frustrating for me to see all of the things that were described as conspiracy theories back five years ago being called out now, often by the people who participated in those conspiracies. There was always right wing pundits getting free reign to say whatever they wanted about anyone left of David Cameron in positions of power, the BBC has always had right wing people in charge of it to the point of secret services dictating who gets to have a job with it, the press is actively in the pocket of whoever promises to do what right wing news paper owners tell them to do.

But now they hosed with Match of the Day so we're suddenly very mad!

And as always it's interesting to see what goes unsaid, such as the revolving door of BBC journalists to Tory Communications officer and vice versa.

I think for a lot of people it's never been quite so blatant. You could always point to more left leaning BBC people to counter the debate.

Now we have the BBC coming down so heavily on such a mild tweet it's just changed the light so everyone can clearly see the governments puppet strings.

I've got a lot of friends who don't watch football and don't care about match of the day absolutely furious about this, who have shrugged off my complaints about the BBC in the past.
It also helps that the Attenborough thing came out this week too.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

happyhippy posted:

I would bet they thought it would be a good way to save money if they could get rid of him.
Gary is the BBCs highest paid performer, and the Tory fucks running it thought it could get a 2 for 1 deal, getting rid of dissent and saving TV license money.

If the BBC didn't want Lineker cos he costs too much they could just get rid of him.

They don't because he's their most popular presenter probably only behind Attenborough and know he could easily make twice what he does going to sky.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 11, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Professional Footballers' Association have confirmed they will cover any fines players receive for not speaking to the BBC.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

TACD posted:

Can somebody post the tweet that started it? I feel like I probably saw it and just skipped past it when it happened.

This is the actual tweet that started this off.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

On a slightly pedantic note. People keep claiming he was referencing the holocaust. The holocaust happened in the 1940s.

The 1930s was the build up of hatred and scapegoating of vulnerable minorities to take blame and distract from the economical problems that the government (which wasn't majority Nazi to begin with) was inept to fix. And this lead to what historians recorded as "a very bad time"

So yes I think the comparison is very apt.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Delicious

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

didn’t baddiel only apologise because he was filming some documentary about racism and it was a scene for it

He'd given semi apologies before but never actually too Lee, the man he was mocking. I do believe he realises now it was wrong but it shouldn't have taken what? 15 years?

Honestly I don't really care what Baddiel thinks on matters and goons would probably do their blood pressure good by ignoring him. Now his documentary has aired he will drift back into irrelevance over time.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

JoylessJester posted:

Hitchens went from being contrarian in a slightly mad affable way to proper nuts during lockdown.

He's still upset that he still lives in his brothers shadow.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Calling them "Tories in wellies" is just a continuation of this threads habit of "no true leftist"

Policies include
- Nationalise rail and energy and water
- scrapping University fees and wiping existing sent.
- 16 and 17 year olds can vote
- replace FPTP
- scraping the home office
- scrapping sales of weapons to other countries
- switching to a housing first approach and stop criminalising the homeless
- Tax income from investments/assets at the same level as the taxation of income from work,
- introduce UBI

The E&W greens are not perfect. They have some dumb policies, they have some terfs in their ranks. Want to moan they arnt left enough then I'm with you, but to call them Tories is just loving dumb.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 13, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Although when faced with the prospect of corbyn doing a bunch of good left wing stuff they were just as keen to make cheap nonsense shots as the tories, so I don't really believe they actually care about any of that poo poo. They're in business for themselves and that's it.

Yes that was Sian Berry, she wasn't very fond of him. Contrasted with Caroline Lucas publicly saying she wanted a German style coalition with Corbyn

"Corbynism will offer the Red; it will be enormously refreshing to at last have an opposition that will make a stand against the savagery of austerity and seek to take back key strategic industries such as the railways into public ownership,"

Sadly it never came to be. It had support from the majority of greens at the time.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 13, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

domhal posted:

Can we have borderline functional investment in public resources?

No, put data centres under swimming pools!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/mar/14/innovative-heat-tech-save-england-swimming-pools-from-closure

What exactly is wrong with this? Data centres produce a lot of heat and at the moment they just blast it out into the air. Why not use it to heat a pool?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

You have a creaky house dude. I've got one too. Knocking sounds when the heating comes on in the morning, it's the wood expanding.
My sister was adamant we had a ghost at my old nans house! Until my dad fixed a tiny hole in the roof that the wind was coming into, then the ghost left by pure coincidence.

The existence of ghosts isn't just something we "can't prove yet" , it would mean a few hundred years of reviewed, tested and repeatable laws of science are completely wrong.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Kin posted:

It's almost like ghosts are a figment of people's imagination and the cultural style of one is purely based on what knowledge someone has.

You'll never hear of a "ghost" of some loving viking or French soldier or whoever the gently caress from less popular or unknown points in history because people are ignorant of that information and don't subsequently personify the odd mix of physics they've just seen to those things.

I've got no scientific basis for it, but my hunch is that belief stuff like ghosts (and even religion) is linked to our species personifying things. You get people talking to plants, objects, themselves if left alone long enough. You have folk applying genders to inanimate objects, we see faces and human shapes in things, etc.

It's maybe already been studied but why do we do that? Is it to stave off insanity? A generic need to recognise one of our own that's misfiring?

Do other creatures do the same thing? Like has anyone seen a cow treat a tree like another cow?

My super out there take is that we do it as part of some kind of psychological defence mechanism to keep our species alive.

Our brains have evolved quite a bit to the point where they question the universe and purpose itself. Left unchecked and without an (easily manipulated) belief system, people might be more inclined to sink into depression and end it?

As mentioned though, all of the above could be bollocks. But I still think it's more likely than ghosts being real.

Anthropomorohising.

It has been studied. Its something humans do from a very young age. We believe is a side effect of our empathy, need for social groups and need to understand things. It helps starve off things like loneliness and isolation as well as make things less scary and intimidating.

A basic form of it had been recorded in chimpanzees who will act gentle with toys like children do.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

What happened to everyone believing in fairies?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Camrath posted:

- A senior banker in the vaults of Coutts 188 Fleet Street (now closed iirc) called in in a panic to report that while in said vaults they had encountered a man in a 1940s suit and gas mask, who had ducked behind a set of shelves and disappeared. Said vaults had been used for shelter during the blitz, and I /believe/ (though never bothered to confirm) the building got hit.

Its no longer a bank. It's now an open plan office, that poor ghost. Forever trapped in the most depressing place created by man.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

"ACAB!"

Now now don't be ridiculous, that's an awful statement to make

"Ok fine, 'the Met is institutionally racist, sexist and homophobic' "

Yeah that's better.

I'm glad we have a report to confirm the stuff I feel like we've had confirmed a thousand times already maybe this one will actually makenq difference.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Cadburys isn't amazing, but it does punch above its weight for the cost imo.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Andoman posted:

I'm at a complete loss for words over this. How could anyone even begin to compare being called welsh to a vile racist slur? Even if I accepted his explanation of the origin of the word Welsh (which as you pointed out is incorrect) how could that possibly be seen as worse than the n word?

Yeah I've seen this brought up by people before and as a Welshman... So what? Lots of words have different meanings if you go back far enough. It's kinda how languages work.

The f slur was originally used for a bundle of sticks and then an old women. It's still used for specific types of meat balls in this country. That doesn't mean I'm not gonna punch you in the face if you call me it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My father in law removed me from his facebook and I'm 90% sure it's because I posted that meme of two dudes kissing captioned about how posting it is a great way to get homophobes to unfriend you.

(I had him muted anyway)

I'd assume the only people left posting on Facebook are old homophobes.

Darth Walrus posted:

He's echoing the bigoted idea that bisexuals don't exist, and that they're just straight people appropriating gay people's spaces.

only if you're a women. If you're a man you are just a gay person unwilling to admit it.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 22, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

mfcrocker posted:

A good reminder that the SNP, like Labour and the E&W Greens UK, is full of dickheads

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Diva or not, he was a driving force for LGBTQ+ rights in the UK. And I'm sad he is gone.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I like chess, it's fun.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

notaspy posted:

gently caress I love trees

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

once a GE campaign gets close the media are going to turn on Keith and he's going to fall apart like a wet paper bag

I'm not convinced they will. Hes giving them pretty much everything they want.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I don't know what the view numbers are for question time, but yes. The show is irrelevant.

It's not even a good barometer for the public's feelings as only a certain type of person is interested in going on.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

MonkeyLibFront posted:

It's pretty sad thread to read to be honest, I also love how context doesn't matter and how people can't actually pin down what doxxing actually is.

It's investigative journalism unless I don't like the guy doing it. Then it's doxxing.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I hadn't signed into nextdoor for almost 2 years, so I just did and one of the first things I saw was someone with a neighbour watch avatar telling someone else they should report to the police a person swearing at them.

Snipe, have a dog

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Everyone's talking about it therefore it's a success!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Green Wing posted:

Just Stop Oil are an op, right?

As a counter point, I see no evidence they are an OP.
People seem to argue its a means to bring in stricter policing laws. As long as the Government has the support of its base (which is would in this case without Extinction rebellion or just stop oil existing) its done whatever its liked.

I do though agree with the other posters, It doesn't matter really matter if they are or aren't. Well except if they are and they managed to get caught, no serious ramifications would happen of course, but it would be very funny.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Peaceful protest can work, but generally has to have over-whelming public support. To the point that "if you don't go, we can and will make you" is pretty apparent to those in power.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1648276522732535809?cxt=HHwWgoC20faw7d8tAAAA
Chat GPT, write a statement in the style of an education minister talking about parental rights and the 'importance of biological sex' in girls' schools:

Honestly, scrap gendered schools regardless.

Pistol_Pete posted:

In Elden Ring, I got with the sexy witch girl :smug:

Second best accent in the game.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 19, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I wasn't but now I'm bubbling with ideas. Probably just go to a wetherspoons though.

It probably would be a little fun to watch a room full of people all collectively look at their phones in confusion at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

What is this? Bougie souls?