Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Moon Slayer posted:

Dale Brown vs Central America

I vaguely remember the secondary protagonist was basically Pilot Not-Ding-Chavez, who listened in the briefings only for the altitude that contrails would form and then slept through the rest of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Charlz Guybon posted:

The 35th Maine Infantry regiment and the 44th New York Light Artillery battery are being shipped down to the Carolinas for an amphibious landing late in the civil war (1864ish?). A storm happens and they get Bermuda triangled to a planet tens of thousands of light years away. It might actually be in one of the Magellanic clouds because they can see the whole spiral of the galaxy laid out at night in the sky.

Anyways, they're not the first to be transported here. Many populations from all over the world and history have been transported here. For example there are Roman and Carthaginian city states (still warring against each other). Mayan city states, and where the Americans happened to pop out, medieval Rus city states.

Why only city states? Because the native species of this world does not allow human polities to consolidate. They're basically huge Wookie-like aliens who travel the steppe like a massive Mongol horde in a great twenty year loop. And when they arrive in a new human cultural area they demand a tithe. In flesh! Mwhahaha!

They are carnivores who use humans as cattle.

IIRC the Americans had like 6 months to a year to set up their own town, marry some locals and start industrializing. Windmills, waterwheels, primitive ironworks, trains, etc.

They were already chaffing at the bit against the local Boyars, who are unsurprisingly for the most part tyrannical dicks. The nobles have also long since been beaten into submission by the aliens. After all, whenever a great leader had arisen in the past and united a human culture and rebelled, they were crushed and an even larger tithe levied as punishment.

Once they find out about this the Americans flip their lid and kick their plans to a launch a widespread peasant rebellion into overdrive. They easily succeed, since they have rifles and artillery and the Rus only have knights and housecarls equipped with chainmail and such. However, the horde they're facing is 200,000 horse archers. (I forget if they had actual horses bred to be enormous, or some native animal to ride).

Also, there's a smallpox epidemic sweeping through this horde's territory and the Rus get some Mayan refugees showing up telling stories of woe. The Americans vaccinate themselves and the peasants with cowpox to solve the problem. However, this does mean the horde is hungry and the Mayans have been absolutely devastated by the twin disasters of disease and tithe.

The Americans set up a factory to mass produce smooth bore Brown Bess style muskets to arm the peasantry. They don't have time to do anything better. They train them as much as they can in like a month and build some fortifications. They're outnumbered and outranged by the aliens bows. They fight a series of hard fought defensive battles and are on the verge of getting overwhelmed when they blow up a dam and wash the aliens away.

Come back for the next book where they have to fight the much bigger and meaner alien horde from down the road, ad infinitum...

Later on in the series, a member of the alien species from when they had more advanced technology gets teleported to the world, and starts helping his nomadic descendants against the humans.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Fivemarks posted:

Later on in the series, a member of the alien species from when they had more advanced technology gets teleported to the world, and starts helping his nomadic descendants against the humans.

I never got that far. I just read the first two books.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Charlz Guybon posted:

They are carnivores who use humans as cattle.

I read a quality sci fi short story where humans make contact with an advanced alien race that in exchange for something like cell samples from the negotiator humans receive useful tech and peaceful relations. The negotiator learns that human meat becomes a core foodstuff for the aliens, except I think they make it in an ethical way where they vat grow millions of copies of the negotiator but without the brain or something similar so the copies aren’t alive. It’s still creepy for the negotiator to know every day his body parts are being devoured.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I read a quality sci fi short story where humans make contact with an advanced alien race that in exchange for something like cell samples from the negotiator humans receive useful tech and peaceful relations. The negotiator learns that human meat becomes a core foodstuff for the aliens, except I think they make it in an ethical way where they vat grow millions of copies of the negotiator but without the brain or something similar so the copies aren’t alive. It’s still creepy for the negotiator to know every day his body parts are being devoured.

This was one of the Draco Tavern stories by Larry Niven.

EDIT: "Assimilating Our Culture, That's What They're Doing"

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 13, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Also shows up in Rudy Rucker's Ware series.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If you remember the "alien Scarlett Johannsen picks up random dudes in Scotland and dissolves them" weirdfest that was Under the Skin, the book had a much clearer narrative that basically was a critique of factory farming. She lured dudes into captivity, where they castrated them and cut their tongues out and forcefed them to plump them up to eat.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Madurai posted:

After the generally excellent Red Army, Ralph Peters decided to do something a little more technothrillery, and so launches into the career of a tough-as-nails US Army airmobile officer who, after losing most of his command in an intervention action in central Africa to orbital lasers (again, the 1980s and their laser satellites), goes on a sort of walk in the wilderness to find themselves. And by "wilderness" I mean, "Mexico" and by "themselves," I mean "Mexican rebels backed by the cartels and also armed by Japan." (Another 80s-ism it might be difficult for younger folk to relate to is the idea that Japan was an unstoppable economic juggernaut). Our Hero gains some very war-crimy rep in putting down those darn rebels, bringing him to attention as just the sort of can-do officer to take charge of a new, experimental unit.

There's a lot of hoo-ha about what air cav is and what it's for, but the nut of this one is tiltrotor gunships that are A) armed with a railgun and B) capable of hands-off computer controlled flying to lay said gun. The US goes back to Africa (I seriously don't remember which countries they were) for a proxy rematch with Japan again, who have updated their laser tech to put them on high-tech choppers of their own. Anyway, big aerial showdown, good guys win.

This was The War in 2020 and it was such a letdown after Peters' first book. I meant to review it in 2020 but, :effort:

Was that the one where one side, I can't remember which, reveals their new super-sekret 'Author is bored with lasers' weapon. And it turns out to be some total SciFi Neural Disrupter-like weapon that blasts people into a permanent vegetatative/locked in/quadraplegic state, again I don't remember the details but it was pretty hosed up.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Also I'm pretty checked out of that scene, but I'd be interested in a nostalgia visit.

Are there any good* modern military techno-thrillers? I'm assuming China is the new default bad guy.

*Decently readable might be more realistic.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Why would you want decent, it seems the abortions are a lot more fun

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The Cold War is Over and Dale Brown is Struggling

-or-

The fall of the Berlin Wall was basically 9/11 for these authors (not to be confused with actual 9/11, which was basically Christmas)

With the Soviet Union in the dustbin of history, Dale Brown lasers in on the newest global conflict flashpoint that's sure to dominate the headlines: Latvia vs Lithuania. I'm not 100% sure which one was the good guy and which one was the bad guy (I think Lithuania was the good one?) but one is an emerging democracy and one is a warlord state run I believe by a former Soviet general. Border conflicts are flaring and the Dreamland team are sent in to ... do something I guess. Patrol Lithuanian airspace?

A slight divergence, but Brown as a former Air Force guy writing firmly in the post-Gulf War I era is clearly absolutely certain that air power is the be all and end all of combat. No combined arms tactics here, all conflicts will be resolved by dropping bombs. Maybe some special forces will go in and knock out air defenses but it's the noble knights of the skies that'll be keeping the world safe from now on, not some grunts with rifles.

Anyway, this incredibly low-stakes dispute between two small former Soviet states is suddenly very personal when they find out that the guy who they lost on the B-52 raid into the Soviet Union in the very first book is alive! And he was captured and brainwashed and thinks he's a Soviet scientist! He's got a new personality and everything (something I'm pretty sure is entirely the realm of science fiction). He's been helping the Soviets (now Russians and Latvians (or possibly Lithuanians)) build their own super awesome stealthy all-in-one flying fortress.

I don't remember very much about how the book ends but I believe that the American and Russian superplanes go head to head and after about fifteen chapters of playing cat and also cat good old-fashioned American know-how wins out. I also seem to remember the captured scientist getting rescued by Delta Force who come in on -- you guessed it -- V-22s.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Deptfordx posted:

Also I'm pretty checked out of that scene, but I'd be interested in a nostalgia visit.

Are there any good* modern military techno-thrillers? I'm assuming China is the new default bad guy.

*Decently readable might be more realistic.

I don't know if it's any good, but the DC blob was really into Stavridis and Ackerman's book "2034" about a war with China a few years ago.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I should definitely talk about the Destroyermen books sometime- where the ultimate endgame is "Everyone teams up to fight the Nazis and the Hypercatholics", and the prequel series Artllerymen, where book 2 has a twist ending that they foreshadow and you hope for but don't expect.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Notahippie posted:

I don't know if it's any good, but the DC blob was really into Stavridis and Ackerman's book "2034" about a war with China a few years ago.

Actually that reminds me, I did read Ghost Fleet. Which is definitely heavily inspired by Red Storm Rising. And has a subplot involving, and I swear this was written as a bet to top the infamous Iceland sideplot from RSR, of a vigilante super sexy serial killer. It's genuinally WTF, how did this get past the editors?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Taking a break from Dale Brown to play "guess that novel." This one'll be easy.

Our super-secret team of awesome high speed low drag tier one operators is flying coach across the Atlantic when terrorists hijack the plane. They immediately kick their asses as this is just the prologue. They are going to England and establish a super elite SWAT team right as a bunch of hostage situations kick off across Europe. These are mostly resolved through sniping.

Anyway it turns out all of these various attacks were orchestrated by the big bad as a distraction from their real plan; releasing a bioweapon to cull humanity while a select few bunker down and then repopulate the planet. Their plan is foiled and the team round them up at their base in the Amazon, strip them all naked, and leave them to die.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Moon Slayer posted:

Taking a break from Dale Brown to play "guess that novel." This one'll be easy.

:rory:6

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Even as a middle schooler the ending to rainbow 6 crept me out

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Made for some pretty cool early 00's video games though.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Clancy also had a novel out at this time where the Russians put a bomb in the Time's Square ball on New Year's Eve 1999. I'm not sure why they did this or what the goal was or absolutely anything else about the book but I remember the cover had an American flag with a hammer and sickle branded into it and my 13-year-old self thought that it was the sickest poo poo.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wasn't the R6 heartbeat sensor thing something that someone was shopping around back in the day, and it was as bogus as those wands with fake/useless electronics that were supposedly bomb detectors, but Clancy totally fell for it and thought the tech was real?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Deptfordx posted:

Wasn't the R6 heartbeat sensor thing something that someone was shopping around back in the day, and it was as bogus as those wands with fake/useless electronics that were supposedly bomb detectors, but Clancy totally fell for it and thought the tech was real?

I'm too lazy to go find the source for this but yes, I recall that being the case.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So something I always found kind of interesting is how Dale Brown and Tom Clancy went completely opposite ways on Russia. Where Brown has at least three or four books where Russia's government is overthrown by a radical nationalist general who brings back the good old days of fighting an evil empire, Clancy decided that Russia was going to be on the side of the angles, which leads us into The Bear and the Dragon.

Despite being the most recent and last Clancy novel I ever read I don't remember too much other than the fact that China's economy crashes at the start and they decide that seizing Siberia is the best way to get them out of the hole. This leads to, over the course of the novel, Russia joining NATO and the west going to war with China. In the end a pro-democracy revolution occurs in China but I guess it doesn't stick because I thought I saw that his next (and final, RIP to a real one) book was about China vs Taiwan?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Moon Slayer posted:

So something I always found kind of interesting is how Dale Brown and Tom Clancy went completely opposite ways on Russia. Where Brown has at least three or four books where Russia's government is overthrown by a radical nationalist general who brings back the good old days of fighting an evil empire, Clancy decided that Russia was going to be on the side of the angles, which leads us into The Bear and the Dragon.

Despite being the most recent and last Clancy novel I ever read I don't remember too much other than the fact that China's economy crashes at the start and they decide that seizing Siberia is the best way to get them out of the hole. This leads to, over the course of the novel, Russia joining NATO and the west going to war with China. In the end a pro-democracy revolution occurs in China but I guess it doesn't stick because I thought I saw that his next (and final, RIP to a real one) book was about China vs Taiwan?

Also notable for a repeated discussion of how the Chinese are like Klingons whose way of thinking we in the West will never truly understand and the classic racist line "They just don't value human life like we do."

And the abortion thing. Ugh.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

And the abortion thing. Ugh.

Babies crowning! Get the needle ready!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

Babies crowning! Get the needle ready!

Darkest sketch award goes to....

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

After I swore off Clancy for good after Debt of Honor, multiple people I know and used to trust urged me to read Bear and the Dragon. I no longer take recommendations from these people.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Deptfordx posted:

Not as bogus as - it was those exact loving things.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Ok so I'm going to stretch the definition of military thriller here and do The Road to Damascus 1 and 2 by Gerard de Villiers, whose whole oeuvre is just :discourse:. Also I have belatedly realised I am not in CSPAM but I'm already committed to making the post

Our golden eyed Austrian prince ubermensch protagonist takes a break from sex with his royal fiancee to get briefed by a CIA guy who is blatantly based on someone who leaked information to the author, probably in a fancy steakhouse. The situation in Syria circa 2011 is outlined - Obama is worried that Assad will be too weak to win the upcoming civil war, and doesn't want to leave the fractured country in the hands of "brothers", which I assume refers equally to jihadis and the Muslim Brotherhood. I think the plan is to kill him and have Hafez take over? Theres also a Mossad head there and he's tired.

They decide that Assad will react poorly to being asked nicely to step down, so they try to do a palace coup. I don't remember how exactly this goes down but there are car bombs involved, a brutal torture scene, some dude gets poisoned, and part 1 ends with the Syrians killing everyone involved. At some point at the beginning too a Syrian guy takes an extra minute for roadside sex with his Lebanese girlfriend because she put on her stockings over her panties, a delay which costs him his life. Anyway I think the Israelis have a mole or something because they get a Hamas executioner whose sister needs Israeli chemo to put a bomb on the car of some minister on the baath military committee so their guy can take his place, but Assad and his brother (neither of whom get a sex scene) have already decided to take the guy out and they're like wait what are the Americans trying to do.

Anyway they suss out the main plot and kill and/or torture everyone involved then the Israeli plan B (coup via tank battalion) gets derailed because the main character catches feelings for a Lebanese woman with an unpronounceable name who he deflowered (and paid for hymen reconstruction surgery), who the Syrians kidnap, and he betrays the plan to save her.

And everyone lived happily ever after.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

what in the goddamn?

Is Assad the good guy in that book?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
This seems like one of those stories where the main conflict isn't man vs man/nature/society/god, but instead is closer writer vs reader and writer vs self.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Moon Slayer posted:

what in the goddamn?

Is Assad the good guy in that book?

Not really. The Syrians are portrayed as violent killers but there's a whole explanation at the beginning where the US and Israel have to weigh their appreciation for Assad's foreign policy with the prediction that he's about to lose most of his country to political Islam. If I remember right, Bashar only makes appearance, but Hafez gets more airtime and comes across as very competent.

Ronwayne posted:

This seems like one of those stories where the main conflict isn't man vs man/nature/society/god, but instead is closer writer vs reader and writer vs self.

Writer vs literary establishment, writer vs good taste, writer vs urge to dickride men of action.

I've read a lot of these for French practice so if anyone is curious about a title I can try to remember. Highlights include Israeli plotz to kill Obama, the most sympathetic depictions of Osama bin Laden in all of western literature, Uday Hussein sex scenes, and a Serbian woman getting so turned on by two guys murdering someone to protect Karadzic that she immediately allows them to double team her in a truck cab

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
I suppose the threshhold for bad military thriller memories has been met when said memories are identical to Faces of Death video summaries.

(ed: I reread that and it sounds kinda harsh, keep them coming)

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 26, 2023

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I just remember Sum of All Fears had a really long loving sub plot about Japanese monks or some poo poo buying some trees in the US, same being shipped on deck aboard a US ship that then lost them, they floated around and eventually got hit by an American SSBN.

I’m not sure what the point of it all was but there was a gently caress ton of orientalism.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FrozenVent posted:

I just remember Sum of All Fears had a really long loving sub plot about Japanese monks or some poo poo buying some trees in the US, same being shipped on deck aboard a US ship that then lost them, they floated around and eventually got hit by an American SSBN.

I’m not sure what the point of it all was but there was a gently caress ton of orientalism.

Debt of Honor was the one where the US fights Japan again Because Reasons. IMO Clive Cussler's Dragon was the better Pacific War Part 2: Electric Boogaloo novel.

Speaking of, I call dibs on recalling that plot badly in a future post.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot about Clancy's thing where he'd cut away to some totally random thing happening that wouldn't "pay off" until twenty chapters later. Like, imagine reading a spy thriller where every now and then the focus abruptly shifts to a guy working at an ammo plant in Tennessee who's going through a divorce for a few paragraphs, and then two chapters from the end the hero's gun misfires because that guy let a bad round through QA.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My favorite of those is the two guys with the truck full of ANFO slowly driving across the country to blow up the White House.

TLDR (and boy is it ever TL) they get caught by beat cops before anyone even realize they exists.

Teeth of the Tiger also had a drawn out cybersex subplot where one of the terrorist was roleplaying sexy Auswitch with what he thought was a 16 year old (turned out to be a fat middle aged german dude).

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Moon Slayer posted:

So, Dale Brown. He was an actual Air Force back-seater on B-52s in the late 70's-early 80's and clearly has a chip on his shoulder about never getting to actually drop bombs on anybody for real.

Meanwhile, Are Hero Patrick McLanahan is an Air Force officer who doesn't play by the rules all the time but gets results, damnit. He's working on a super-secret project to strap as much extra crap onto a B-52 airframe as possible. Air-to-air missiles? Sure thing. ELINT suite? Cram it in there. RADAR is cool and all but we're going to put LIDAR on this thing too because lasers are the future, baby! We're keeping the tail gunner, though, that's important.

Anyway this thing somehow flies and despite being called an AEB-52J or whatever it's named the Old Dog. The Old Dog crew get the order to fly into Siberia (it's also a stealth aircraft or can spoof IFF or something) and bomb this laser; I seem to remember that they were on a training mission or maybe their base was attacked? Either way they weren't necessarily prepared and there are a few extra people on board.

Amazing that in a genre full of self-insert fantasy fulfillment characters the biggest one manages to be an airplane. Should've named it the Airy Sue instead.

At that point why not also make it supermaneuverable and supersonic so that you've basically crafted the airplane version of the Milennium Falcon.

Moon Slayer posted:

Glad I repressed that memory. Too bad I can't also get rid of the passage in the Clancy China vs Russia book about how Chinese women don't shave their armpits and how fascinating the Japanese-American spy finds this.

Oh God I had repressed the memory of that awful book and y'all are bringing it back. IIRC in that same sex scene she also muses about how Chinese dicks are like little Chinese sausages as she prepares to blow his giant American hog

Why I remember all of this 20 years later I don't know, I thought I had managed to unremember it pretty well

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

This thread is literally going to result in bad military thriller book purchases (by me) to spur my memory, and that's just....the worst outcome

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

GD_American posted:

This thread is literally going to result in bad military thriller book purchases (by me) to spur my memory, and that's just....the worst outcome

:getin:

Dale Brown has a Deep Understanding of the Complex Geopolitics of Northeast Asia

There have been a ton of media asking the question of what happens if North Korea attacks South Korea. Only Dale Brown dares to ask: what if opposite?

The US and South Korea are conducting some annual exercises but the South Koreans are being weird and shifty. Then, halfway through an aerial drill the ROK planes suddenly break off and turn and burn north. Surprise, we decided to kick off reunification and didn't tell our chief allies because they probably would have said "no that's crazy."

Now, I'm guessing what happened here is Brown read somewhere about the times where the US had to slap down a South Korean nuclear weapons program and decided to extrapolate. Despite being a bonkers scenario for any number of reasons (not least of which that the ROK is acutely aware of the economic cost of annexing their impoverished neighbor) in able hands this could be an interesting what-if.

This being Dale Brown, of course, the "invasion" consists entirely of aerial bombing. No mention of the massive artillery barrage that would certainly reduce Seoul to an uninhabitable wasteland or really ground troops at all that I can remember. Lots of North Korean units mutiny and surrender but one SRBM unit does get a nuke off and destroys Busan. There's a scene where the ROK staff just shake their heads and go "we knew we were going to lose something."

Anyway it's all over in a few hours and the Korean peninsula is unified. China is, of course, less than pleased by this, and this is where Our Heroes come in. Brown has decided that the B-52 is old news and the B-1 is the new hotness. So a unit of the super-secret AEB-1Ts or whatever are sent to the new unified Korea right as China sends in bombers to I guess destabilize the new government? Again, air power and dropping bombs is the only thing important in international conflicts.

I don't actually remember too much about how this all goes down but in the end the Chinese head home with their tale tucked between their legs and everyone is happy except I think this is the book where one of the main characters dies? Who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Not a military thriller per se, but I once found a book on a boat (often a bad start) about a cowboy who found out about Angola prison and decided to get more cowboys to go and uh… destroy it? Idk, not-Audie-Murphy was involved, along with trick shooters and what have you. Lots of gun porn.

Title was something about a pale horse.

Edit aw poo poo it’s got a Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Horse_Coming?wprov=sfti1