Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

this isn't a deepfake this is real audio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0QxuL7StOM

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

...or Rupert Murdock throwing all of Fox News under the same bus? :)

This really surprised me.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

This really surprised me.

Where is this? I've been staying out of news squabbles, and the idea of Rupert Murdock getting upset at fox news is amusing to me.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

orange juche posted:

Where is this? I've been staying out of news squabbles, and the idea of Rupert Murdock getting upset at fox news is amusing to me.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

...or Rupert Murdock throwing all of Fox News under the same bus? :)

What's this?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

orange juche posted:

Rather than link something, here are the basics. Rupert Murdoch is in charge of 21st Century Fox (Big Fox), that has the subsidiary of Fox News. Lachlan Murdoch is in charge of Fox News.

Rupert Murdoch is trying to underbus Fox News and his son Lachlan in a deposition because Dominion is suing both 21st Century Fox and Fox News. Dominion is suing both because they want access to both Fox News's money (a lot) and 21st Century Fox's money (a whole loving gigantic shitpile lot). The Dominion theory of the case is that both are responsible for defaming Dominion with all the Fox News lies.

Would you rather sue Wal-Mart Store #4325 for compensatory and punitive damages? Or would you rather sue Walmart Inc for compensatory and punitive damages? One organization has a whoooooooole lot more money for court judgments.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

Rather than link something, here are the basics. Rupert Murdoch is in charge of 21st Century Fox (Big Fox), that has the subsidiary of Fox News. Lachlan Murdoch is in charge of Fox News.

Rupert Murdoch is trying to underbus Fox News and his son Lachlan in a deposition because Dominion is suing both 21st Century Fox and Fox News. Dominion is suing both because they want access to both Fox News's money (a lot) and 21st Century Fox's money (a whole loving gigantic shitpile lot). The Dominion theory of the case is that both are responsible for defaming Dominion with all the Fox News lies.

Would you rather sue Wal-Mart Store #4325 for compensatory and punitive damages? Or would you rather sue Walmart Inc for compensatory and punitive damages? One organization has a whoooooooole lot more money for court judgments.

So Murdoch's failson got daddy in trouble basically, and Rupert is like "gently caress you you idiot crotchspawn"

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Isn't 21st owned by Disney now?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

Isn't 21st owned by Disney now?

No, the movie side got sold to disney i believe, but 21st Century Fox still exists, for TV stuff like the simpsons I guess

e: whoops, 21st century fox (movie house) got sold, Fox still exists for TV poo poo

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

orange juche posted:

No, the movie side got sold to disney i believe, but 21st Century Fox still exists, for TV stuff like the simpsons I guess

e: whoops, 21st century fox (movie house) got sold, Fox still exists for TV poo poo

Yeah it's a loving wreck of nonsense that I started a post on and gave up as I confused myself. So it's more that Lachlan was way more exposed that Rupert, and Fox News was always Rupert's baby. Also, apparently the rest of the family hates the right-wing poo poo and Lachlan's all-in:

https://www.businessinsider.com/lachlan-murdoch-son-rupert-fox-news-host-trump-criticism-lawsuit-2023-2

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/oct/31/rupert-murdoch-successor-news-corp-paddy-manning-book

gently caress america for making this family bullshit a problem and giving Rupert any control over our lives

and australia too

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 2, 2023

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

orange juche posted:

So Murdoch's failson got daddy in trouble basically, and Rupert is like "gently caress you you idiot crotchspawn"

Lol.

Meanwhile Israel is going full fash as security services put the boot down harder on pro-democracy protestors in Tel Aviv than on settlers pogromming Palestinian towns.

Washington Post posted:

Israeli police violently crack down on protest over judicial overhaul

TEL AVIV — Israeli police launched a forceful crackdown Wednesday on thousands of protesters who were marching along a central highway in Tel Aviv calling for a halt to a rapidly advancing judiciary overhaul.

Police lobbed hundreds of stun grenades, fired water cannons and arrested at least 40 people in response to Wednesday’s “Day of Disruption,” in which flag-waving Israelis flooded the streets and blocked major thoroughfares in dozens of places across the country.

Eleven Israelis were hospitalized with injuries suffered during the violent confrontation with police, which escalated after protesters breached a barricade, shouting, “Shame!” Officers, many on horseback, scrambled to disperse the crowd, at times appearing to use indiscriminate force.

Three of the injured underwent surgery, including one man who lost his ear after being directly hit with a stun grenade. Such aggressive police tactics are rarely seen inside Israel and were more reminiscent of Israeli military operations in the West Bank, where soldiers are often heavy-handed with Palestinian civilians.

Wednesday’s escalation came after two months of anti-government protests in which tens of thousands have taken to the streets of Tel Aviv, Israel’s financial hub. They say the judicial overhaul being rushed through the Knesset by the country’s new right-wing government will weaken the Supreme Court, remove legal protections for minorities and allow Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to avoid prosecution in his ongoing corruption trial

As demonstrators marched through the streets shouting, “Democracy!” the Knesset preliminarily voted in favor of a bill to make it more difficult to declare Netanyahu unfit to serve as prime minister, and another to enforce the death penalty for convicted terrorists.

The scenes of officers wrestling peaceful protesters to the ground came as police faced mounting criticism for not doing more to hold Israeli settlers accountable for a violent weekend rampage in the West Bank.

At one point, protesters in Tel Aviv chanted, “Where were you in Huwara?” — the Palestinian town where, after a Palestinian shot and killed two Israeli brothers, hundreds of Israeli settlers attacked civilians at random, burning cars, businesses and homes, many with children inside. One Palestinian man was killed by a settler who shot him in the abdomen, the man’s family said.

“The right to protest is not the right to commit anarchy,” National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir said about the use of force by police in Tel Aviv on Wednesday, after days of refusing to condemn the settlers’ attacks against Palestinians.

Following Sunday’s rampage — dubbed a “pogrom” by several Israeli officials — Israeli police arrested 11 settlers. Police have released five of them, citing a lack of evidence, and are keeping three under house arrest; police are continuing to interrogate five others who were arrested late Tuesday, said Dean Elsdunne, an Israeli police spokesperson.

But many worry that violence by settlers will continue as long as they receive support — implicit or explicit — from the current government. Two of its most senior ministers, Bezalel Smotrich and Ben Gvir, responded to the killing of the Israeli brothers with promises of revenge. Smotrich called for the Israeli military to “strike at the Palestinian cities with tanks and helicopters, mercilessly, in a way that will send the message that the landlord has gone mad.”

“The teenagers who descended on the village knew that the security forces’ hands were tied. At most, they would be detained for a night or two. They are immune from the law,” wrote Nahum Barnea in the Israeli newspaper Yediot Ahronot. “The rampaging teenagers could see in [Smotrich and Ben Gvir] and their factions moral support for their acts.”

On Wednesday, Smotrich went further, telling a conference that he thinks “the village of Huwara needs to be wiped out. I think the state of Israel should do it.”

The judicial overhaul has revealed deep schisms in Israeli society at a time of mounting violence and instability. At least 62 Palestinians and 14 Israelis have died in the clashes since the start of the year.

As militancy grows among young Palestinians in the West Bank, and Israel increases the scope and volume of its military raids, the army now faces resistance from within, which experts say could threaten its ability to operate in the field. Veterans of the elite Israeli military intelligence unit, 8200, have joined a long list of those threatening to refuse to perform reserve service in protest of the judicial overhaul.

“We will not volunteer for a country that unilaterally changed the basic social contract with its citizens,” said a letter from 8200 published on the Israeli news outlet Walla earlier this week.

“Our new politics now includes people with messianic visions, in very high positions, who believe Armageddon-style chaos is something that could potentially lead to a better future,” said Yotam Margalit, a professor at Tel Aviv University’s school of political science. “And Netanyahu, who was always careful with the use of force, is now dependent on those people.”

In response to the crackdown in Tel Aviv and the rampage in Huwara, Netanyahu has issued statements backing his far-right ministers.

“I fully support National Security Minister Ben Gvir, the police commission and the Israel police officers, who are working against lawbreakers who are disrupting the daily lives of Israeli citizens,” Netanyahu said Wednesday.

Also while it's still incredibly deferential I never thought I'd see someplace like WaPo be this critical of Israel.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah it's a loving wreck of nonsense that I started a post on and gave up as I confused myself. So it's more that Lachlan was way more exposed that Rupert, and Fox News was always Rupert's baby. Also, apparently the rest of the family hates the right-wing poo poo and Lachlan's all-in:

https://www.businessinsider.com/lachlan-murdoch-son-rupert-fox-news-host-trump-criticism-lawsuit-2023-2

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/oct/31/rupert-murdoch-successor-news-corp-paddy-manning-book

gently caress america for making this family bullshit a problem and giving Rupert any control over our lives

and australia too

Amazing poo poo is that since this case will get zero airtime on conservative networks, the fact that Fox News et al are bald faced liars will get no traction in the conservative information bubble.

E:

https://twitter.com/Browtweaten/status/1631004274439192593?s=20

a butterfly flaps its wings

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 2, 2023

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Who is grimes and who broke up with him?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Grimes is Musks ex and baby mama, of the kid with characters in their name that I wouldn't even know where to find in my phone's keyboard.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

rip @buttraptors

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arrath posted:

Grimes is Musks ex and baby mama, of the kid with characters in their name that I wouldn't even know where to find in my phone's keyboard.

lol that you think that this uniquely identifies the kid

There are two of them.

“This is why you don’t do acid, kids.”

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Grimes is a Canadian pop musician that had a baby with Musk a few years ago. They split up and she was reportedly dating Chelsea Manning shortly afterwards, which is possibly part of Musk's transphobia kick.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Elon’s mother is the only woman in his life who has not distanced herself from him.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

also, critically, one of the middle dominoes was this shortly after anyone could get a blue check for $8

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

maffew buildings posted:

narcs don't get autobanned

OP should self-ban in a show of integrity and solidarity.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Platystemon posted:

lol that you think that this uniquely identifies the kid

There is an awfully low ceiling to the number of fucks I give about rich folk and their kids, tbh.

Other than acknowledging that Musk is a gross quiverfull breeder kind of guy.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Platystemon posted:

Elon’s mother is the only woman in his life who has not distanced herself from him.

Plus 11 kids, all via IVF or surrogacy, and some where romance wasn't even involved. Probably just a matter of time before some really twisted poo poo comes out.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

TheWeedNumber posted:

I now see a hot tag. What is this buttfucking sorcery? Where the gently caress is the auto-banned OP?

lol I changed the tag specifically to gently caress with you

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

McNally posted:

lol I changed the tag specifically to gently caress with you

my man

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Looks like hiring vets as teachers without needing credentials isn’t the stopgap some wanted.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/12/14/vets-program-was-supposed-help-fix-teacher-shortage-florida-its-only-added-7.html

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Only very desperate people want to live on a teacher's salary in Florida. You can probably make more at Publix.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Woodchip posted:

Looks like hiring vets as teachers without needing credentials isn’t the stopgap some wanted.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/12/14/vets-program-was-supposed-help-fix-teacher-shortage-florida-its-only-added-7.html

Surprise!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I do not like events currently.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/greenhousenyt/status/1631067875019571201

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Is this this first time we've seen the legitimacy of just closing the workplace that tries to unionize being questioned?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

slurm posted:

Is this this first time we've seen the legitimacy of just closing the workplace that tries to unionize being questioned?

Yes but enforcement/punishcments remains lax.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Oh no the NLRB has ruled against us.

[Pause]

Anyway start the paper trail about that location not being profitable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Just open a Starbucks inside the Starbucks.

Ain’t no way that the fractal Starbucks will unionize.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

FrozenVent posted:

Oh no the NLRB has ruled against us.

[Pause]

Anyway start the paper trail about that location not being profitable.

The Starbucks in DC's union station voted to unionize and was immediately closed because, paraphrasing, "the homeless problem has caused security incidents so we must close for the safety of our workers."

The DC police in the area spoke out against that because they resented Starbucks implying they weren't doing their jobs and also because that was the coffee shop all the foot patrol officers got their coffee at.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Soylent Pudding posted:

The Starbucks in DC's union station voted to unionize and was immediately closed because, paraphrasing, "the homeless problem has caused security incidents so we must close for the safety of our workers."

The DC police in the area spoke out against that because they resented Starbucks implying they weren't doing their jobs and also because that was the coffee shop all the foot patrol officers got their coffee at.

As a DC resident, this is basically the "multiple Spidermen pointing at each other" meme come to life because all of these things are true to some degree.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
My takeaway from the whole Havana Syndrome fiasco is that it's incredibly easy for humans to fall victim to social contagion around health issues. 1000-some individuals came forward reporting cases, a few dozen still ardently attributing serious and persistent symptoms to it. All did so in apparent sincerity, but it looks like they were largely victims of a hysteria that exacerbated their negative mental response to unrelated symptoms to the point of debilitation. They'd heard others in their community were facing this "attack", so a maladaptive response to attribute their own symptoms to the same resulted for some in a long-term psychosomatic disorder.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Sounds like there is an available prime space and highly trained labor in the area ripe to start an independent and unionized cafe

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Sounds like there is an available prime space and highly trained labor in the area ripe to start an independent and unionized cafe

There almost certainly is but I'm sure the lease is ruinously expensive. They had the best spot in the building, right in the middle of the waiting area on corner where the center corridor from the street level entrance and ticketing area empties out.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Fair, but the profit margins on a well done cafe are also anti-ruinous. The amount of customers you can service in a location like that is massive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I think Amtrak is actually trying to break the lease of the company that manages Union Station and in turn subleases to these places because Amtrak wants to remodel and modernize the place after decades of neglect and poor operational management.

DC in general is heavily suffering from the pivot to work from home and a general migration of office space to the exurbs where rents are way cheaper. The mayor caught a lot of flack for calling on Biden to end federal wfh but her full remarks were that all the empty office space is devastating local businessesnand the gov should either come back full time or sell off the excess capacity to someone who will actually use it.