Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Fair, but the profit margins on a well done cafe are also anti-ruinous. The amount of customers you can service in a location like that is massive.

Oh yeah anything you put there will print money, it's just getting past the startup cost barrier that would stop anyone who doesn't already have deep pockets.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I think Amtrak is actually trying to break the lease of the company that manages Union Station and in turn subleases to these places because Amtrak wants to remodel and modernize the place after decades of neglect and poor operational management.

DC's Union Station is inexcusably lovely and hopefully they can get someone running it who will invest more than $5/ year in maintenance and improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Midjack posted:

DC's Union Station is inexcusably lovely and hopefully they can get someone running it who will invest more than $5/ year in maintenance and improvements.

On the contrary, I think the vibe of a slowly rotting glorious building paired with extremely lovely services and random armed cops is a perfect welcome to DC.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Coasterphreak posted:

Only very desperate people want to live on a teacher's salary in Florida. You can probably make more at Publix.
I'll be honest, one reason I stuck it out for 20 (gently caress me I'm still in smodftb) was so the pension could supplement a teacher's income.

In Florida, though? gently caress that.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Would anyone be interested in bombarding their congressfucks' offices with messages of support for a bill that would allow Gold Star spouses to keep their benefits after remarriage? A bill is about to be introduced for that purpose and I can provide info on it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

McNally posted:

Would anyone be interested in bombarding their congressfucks' offices with messages of support for a bill that would allow Gold Star spouses to keep their benefits after remarriage? A bill is about to be introduced for that purpose and I can provide info on it.

:yeah:

Midjack posted:

What's stupid is I remember Union Station being relatively fine up until 2014 or so. Then everything seemingly went to poo poo overnight.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

McNally posted:

Seems ghoulish that they would rescind them in the first place but what do I know

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I need to get this info out before I start my new job and become bound by the Hatch Act lol

The upcoming bill is called the Love Lives On Act. It's being championed by the Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) and the 2022 bill (which was introduced in like November of 2022 wtf) received a letter of support from TAPS along with like 26 other VSOs. Short version is that a surviving spouse who remarries gets to keep their benefits, other than Tricare and they can get Tricare back if the marriage ends.

The argument behind it is that first responder survivor benefits generally don't go away after remarriage so service member survivor benefits shouldn't either.

I've made some documents - TAPS' one pager, their letter of support, and a draft copy of the bill available here.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

:yeah:

What's stupid is I remember Union Station being relatively fine up until 2014 or so. Then everything seemingly went to poo poo overnight.

It was kind of poo poo as far back as 2007 but yeah, mid 2010s it just fell off a cliff.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

M_Gargantua posted:

Fair, but the profit margins on a well done cafe are also anti-ruinous. The amount of customers you can service in a location like that is massive.

True, but getting a new coffee place up and running would be incredibly hard anywhere. Especially nowadays where there are such shortages of restaurant staff you’d have to outbid established places. I mean you could do it but would be an uphill climb.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

McNally posted:

I need to get this info out before I start my new job and become bound by the Hatch Act lol

The upcoming bill is called the Love Lives On Act. It's being championed by the Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) and the 2022 bill (which was introduced in like November of 2022 wtf) received a letter of support from TAPS along with like 26 other VSOs. Short version is that a surviving spouse who remarries gets to keep their benefits, other than Tricare and they can get Tricare back if the marriage ends.

The argument behind it is that first responder survivor benefits generally don't go away after remarriage so service member survivor benefits shouldn't either.

I've made some documents - TAPS' one pager, their letter of support, and a draft copy of the bill available here.

I will email my Congress critters. This may not be what you want though, they always tell me "no" and vote for the opposite.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Midjack posted:

It was kind of poo poo as far back as 2007 but yeah, mid 2010s it just fell off a cliff.

Hot take, but it all went to poo poo once the book store left.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

Hot take, but it all went to poo poo once the book store left.

How long ago was that? The Suncoast there had a fairly eclectic selection and I picked up a bunch of weird stuff there whenever I had some time before a train.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Soylent Pudding posted:

DC in general is heavily suffering from the pivot to work from home and a general migration of office space to the exurbs where rents are way cheaper. The mayor caught a lot of flack for calling on Biden to end federal wfh but her full remarks were that all the empty office space is devastating local businessesnand the gov should either come back full time or sell off the excess capacity to someone who will actually use it.

cry more american cities. you spent decades making yourselves an unlivable hellscape whose sole purpose is to funnel commuters into a center that serves $20 salad lunches to fuel a bunch of graft departments that don't actually provide the services that would make people want to, yknow, live there, not simply profit off people who are forced to work there because that's where the office is

i am all too happy to watch SF (which i figure is similar to DC in many ways) crater as the "commuters provide sales tax revenue but require no services" money faucet stops. hopefully it'll force american urbana to finally reshape itself

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I would go into SF more if there was better public transit but gently caress the bay bridge. The izakaya is much better there I'm just not dealing with traffic or parking.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

cry more american cities. you spent decades making yourselves an unlivable hellscape whose sole purpose is to funnel commuters into a center that serves $20 salad lunches to fuel a bunch of graft departments that don't actually provide the services that would make people want to, yknow, live there, not simply profit off people who are forced to work there because that's where the office is

i am all too happy to watch SF (which i figure is similar to DC in many ways) crater as the "commuters provide sales tax revenue but require no services" money faucet stops. hopefully it'll force american urbana to finally reshape itself

If you're gonna pull this "they deserve it" schtick, picking DC, a predominantly African American city allowed limited self determination at the mercy of Congress is a major yoikes.

Also at least before covid more workers commuted on metro from DC into the Virginia suburbs than the other way around.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Soylent Pudding posted:

If you're gonna pull this "they deserve it" schtick, picking DC, a predominantly African American city allowed limited self determination at the mercy of Congress is a major yoikes.

Also at least before covid more workers commuted on metro from DC into the Virginia suburbs than the other way around.

Hey, speaking of limited self-determination:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1631392285182009376?s=20

This is less about "lessening sentences" as it is "bringing sentencing guidelines in line with other states and major cities" but I wouldn't have expected anything different from President Omnibus Crime Bill of 1994. I do think we're going to see more "tough on crime" stuff out of Democrats in the run-up to 2024, which promises to be hilariously bad in terms of policy outcomes.

Meanwhile, Mayor Adams of NYC continues to reveal that he's a big loving idiot who doesn't care for one of the central tenets of this country's governing principles. What is it with NYC voters always picking the absolute shittiest people to be mayor?

[quote]
We would not have children because when we took prayers out of schools, guns came into schools. So the reflection point of today, when we do an analysis of these annual coming-together, is to state, "Are we leaving our best fight in the gym? Are we finding ways to really take what we took in the gym and bring it into the real fight?"
Don't tell me about no separation of church and state. State is the body. Church is the heart. You take the heart out of the body, the body dies. I can't separate my belief because I'm an elected official. When I walk, I walk with God. When I talk, I talk with God. When I put policies in place, I put them in with a God-like approach to them. That's who I am. And I was that when I was that third-grader, and I'm going to be that when I leave government. I am still a child of God and will always be a child of God and I won't apologize about being a child of God. It is not going to happen."

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

pantslesswithwolves posted:

When I put policies in place, I put them in with a God-like approach to them. That's who I am.

Now that's a Freudian slip!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

It'll in all likelihood be replaced by something worse knowing us

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
I've always enjoyed the DC Metro when I've gone up there. Partly because public transportation in my city is :lol:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m not really personally as into public transportation and densifying as I was before Covid, as someone who still has to take it seriously (i.e., not get it so I don’t kill my wife and kid). It still would not trouble me one bit if every federal worker in DC who could went full WFH forever and the buildings were all turned into housing, ad hoc meeting spaces, or parks.

Ending WFH solely to prop up local economies feels completely wrong-headed to me. There is not any scenario where I think that’s ok.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Ending WFH solely to prop up local economies feels completely wrong-headed to me. There is not any scenario where I think that’s ok.

But …. but … a business owner might lose money! Haven’t you considered how unamerican such an outcome would be?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Midjack posted:

How long ago was that? The Suncoast there had a fairly eclectic selection and I picked up a bunch of weird stuff there whenever I had some time before a train.

I wanna say, 2012ish?

Mappo posted:

I've always enjoyed the DC Metro when I've gone up there. Partly because public transportation in my city is :lol:

The funny thing about DC's Metro is that it isn't perfect, and it certainly needs to be improved across many areas. But compared to other cities in the US, it's probably in the top three (NYC, BART, MBTA/Metro tie).

You also get a lot of transplants that whine about some of the stupidest poo poo with the Metro but make it out to be the worlds worst transit service (or just DC in general) and it's very much "Yes, welcome to living in a major city. What did you think it was going to be like?"

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 3, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

McNally posted:

YES

I'll try to bring it up at the SCDP Convention next month

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ok but is his dick bigger than the Italians dicks is his dick the biggest in Chicago

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Soylent Pudding posted:

that is in part my point: cities with a lot of inbound commuters love neglecting to make the residential parts good because they don't have to. make the central office district clean enough and you can ignore the dilapidated residential parts

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

More of a sportsball thing, but a college basketball player just turned himself into an American soldier by accident and was hosed for a few days:

https://twitter.com/DPiper247/status/1631032122206044162?t=5hczWjXIT74jl9L56Pyaew&s=19

GAMER/TROOP FUEL

I tried to sober up with caffeine pills once. ONCE. All I wanted to do was pass out but that was not happening. I could taste the caffeine or pill filler coming out of the roof of my mouth.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I’m a modafanil man myself.

It’s a great drug.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1631445585810145280?s=20

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

weird that that doesn't even touch on the whole right wing russian moral panic about anime in Russia as the explicit embodiment of foreign lgbtq non-hyper-masculine culture

like they link this image which should give an idea of where part of the pushback is coming from but weirdly don't really bring it up

with that said, man everything about the ryodan/anti-ryodan stuff is super weird

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
it may still get weirder

https://twitter.com/HostileSpectrum/status/1629887462804684802?s=20

charlie stross is gonna have to cancel another novel

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

But who shall read the haruspex’s entrails?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

McNally posted:

gently caress yes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Kesper North posted:

it may still get weirder

https://twitter.com/HostileSpectrum/status/1629887462804684802?s=20

charlie stross is gonna have to cancel another novel

What's this mean? Not the charles stross quote, that I actually understand. Also, he probably wasn't far off on scottish independence either

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Just remember, congresspeople are generally old fucks and generally don't care about emails. And their staffers in charge of the email boxes probably get a gazillion form-letter emails that they have to cull through constantly with their eyes rolled back into their heads.

If you're going to contact your congressfucker, call their office and leave a message and/or talk to the legislative staffer. General format guide:

https://www.apa.org/advocacy/guide/phone-call

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

After a strategy of "I'll admit to 9/11 as long as I'm not found guilty of offing my kid and wife", Alex Murdaugh guilty on all counts. Currently having his nose rubbed in it by the judge before sentencing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Am I the only one who never heard of this guy before yesterday? Why was this trial big news?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Stultus Maximus posted:

Am I the only one who never heard of this guy before yesterday? Why was this trial big news?

Prominent South Carolina legacy attorney literally blew his failson's head off with a shotgun and then killed his wife to try to cover up/distract from financial crimes (stole money from his own law firm).

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

he also said under oath he had been taking 20,000 mg of oxy a day, which, lol no

the state's case was pretty weak he probably would've walked if he hadn't succumbed to BDE and insisted on testifying

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 3, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

He also admitted to all the financial crimes (in an attempt to deflect from the murders) so lol, he's doubly hosed.

There's an HBO Max documentary on the family my mom watched and said the whole family are shitlords.

shame on an IGA posted:

he also said under oath he had been taking 20 grams of oxy a day, which, lol no

I believe that as much as Casey Anthony's dad claiming he molested her.

In that case, though, it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CBJSprague24 posted:

After a strategy of "I'll admit to 9/11 as long as I'm not found guilty of offing my kid and wife", Alex Murdaugh guilty on all counts. Currently having his nose rubbed in it by the judge before sentencing.

Didn't his son supposedly kill 1 or 2 people as well? Including a House Cleaner who died under suspicious circumstances?