Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/greenhousenyt/status/1631067875019571201

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

slurm posted:

Is this this first time we've seen the legitimacy of just closing the workplace that tries to unionize being questioned?

Yes but enforcement/punishcments remains lax.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CBJSprague24 posted:

After a strategy of "I'll admit to 9/11 as long as I'm not found guilty of offing my kid and wife", Alex Murdaugh guilty on all counts. Currently having his nose rubbed in it by the judge before sentencing.

Didn't his son supposedly kill 1 or 2 people as well? Including a House Cleaner who died under suspicious circumstances?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
They are trying to undo WFH at my office, calling it 'Hybrid Work' but demanding people come in at least 3 days a week.

Its not working.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

Wtf are they doing, pushing changes to live or something?

Whatever. The roof is on fire, let the motherfucker burn.

Because they don't understand the codebase, so they are literally just throwing code at the wall with no QA and seeing what breaks.

Because they are morons.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

Elon went the fake disability route on a guy with MD? loving hell there is not a depth to which this clown won’t sink

But fully expected for a guy who claims to be a "Moderate Republican" because pretending that white males are the most inconvenienced and punching down is all they know.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

When MBS finds out he's getting nothing, financial or otherwise, from this Twitter deal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=powBr8Hobbk

MBS will harass Musk, but they throw away so much money this is practically a drop in the bucket.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

This gets better:

https://twitter.com/_ElizabethMay/status/1633132292855025666?t=blEh81qOnf5jK9cxtvSQxQ&s=19

I somehow don't think that Elmo's legal squad is going to have much luck in the Icelandic legal system if they refuse to pay out this guy.

He fired the "do not fire" guy.

It's amazing how many people he is lining up to sue his rear end to the wall, and much like his entire acquisition of Twitter he has utterly failed to read the legally binding contract.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I cannot see US forces in Mexico ending well. We've done far too many interventions in South America that have rarely, if ever, ended well for both the people there and us.

Demanding we invade and send in the troops is just the only thing people like Graham and the GOP know how to do. They don't take responsibility for actually solving or dealing with the problems. Just send guys with guns. What's Statecraft?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

New conspiracy theory: Putin is using his American politicians to steer America into a war with Mexico so America stops helping Ukraine.

As much as I'd object to a war in Mexico, I suspect we'd be able to supply both.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Considering that there is travel advisories for Mexico anyways, its a go at your own risk sort of scenario anyways.

The fact that people keep going to cartel hot spots is insane.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

I was going to ask y'all just what the gently caress Silicon Valley Bank actually loving was, because everyone is speaking gibberish about it and none of it penetrates my brain.

But lol they're gone now, officially a failed bank taken over by the FDIC:

https://twitter.com/kgreifeld/status/1634234151783022606?t=H5yng8MG__44t8o02wPJhA&s=19

I think they were just a 17-branch bank that catered specifically to silicon valley venture capital tech bro speculation and now they're the first dead insured bank since the early pandemic. RIP whatever the gently caress that bank was!

They invested a significant amount in Crypto. You can guess from there what happened. They got tied at the hip with Silvergate:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/10/crypto-bank-signature-slides-on-friday-amid-troubles-at-silicon-valley-bank-silvergate.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

The fact that FDIC took direct receivership and couldn't wait until after close of business Friday means it must have been dire, they usually fail banks over the weekend so another bank can buy their stuff up without disrupting stuff as badly. Absolutely hilarious.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bank alerted them of a pending issue that initiated the response.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

I really hope that leaves a market hole for competently made electric semis instead of poisoning the market.

There will be a role for diesel until 2075, but urban delivery is not one of them.

Diesel Electrics will probably make up the gap.

https://theintercept.com/2023/03/13/january-6-military-intelligence-hatchet-speed/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh5vb9IVAZU

Someone who does plane flying tell me how splattered on the ground a little bug in a Cessna would be if they flew into an area that was specifically declared as a Warning Area to ATC?

They will get intercepted quickly. There's usually military bird flying at the top waiting for a callout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnAcI07SWMw

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

Idk, I'm not sure we're ready for a world where the german military is competent again

I'm not sure the German Military is ready to be competent again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

From local news, so there's at least that.

God drat it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Did you miss the 'he said he is now cancer-free'?

I did, thanks. Still worries me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah I don't think this is a crash. I think it's just a symptom of corporate greed. Most of the firings are just emulating Musks takeover of Twitter (despite the fact that it's going badly) and there's not a lot of evidence that mass layoffs actually benefit any company in a crash anyways.

In reality it's more likely an attempt to disenfranchise workers by decreasing demand so they have to give up on benefits like WFH and other gains in employee rights

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Zuck just went into an employee town hall and made it clear they want people back in the office and got openly called out about it.

FB did a lot of dumb stuff but the mass firings across the tech industry are much more likely about forcing employees to bend over again for management.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pmchem posted:

I agree that a lot of companies want to make people come back to the office. I also like WFH and think full return to office is silly.

That argument about firings being the mechanism to reduce WFH doesn’t make sense though. if facebook wanted people back in, it can just mandate it. And if they don’t come back in then they have to quit and don’t get the same benefits as being fired. Banks (e.g. Morgan Stanley) are just requiring return to office.

I think meta just realized it overhired when it was seeing videos like this come from non technical employees fresh out of college who probably make more than 99% of goons:

https://twitter.com/parikpatelcfa/status/1584903790280511488

Except that everyone is firing and hiring. It's not exclusive to FB.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Seems like the Alpha Male MAGA crowd cannot stand by their man when he's in need.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Having that statement over Jewish gold is cringe as gently caress because the Nazis actually loosened gun control compared to the Weimar republic, and yet they pretend private gun ownership was going to stop the Nazis who were already in power in the first place.

These fuckers would be salivating over Gestapo jackboots as Law Enforcement

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grip it and rip it posted:

Many of the people in Colorado Springs... Suck

Yeah its been a hotspot for evangelicals and by connection white supremacists for years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1639586525825441792?t=On0iSSi71QmlNMGrsPwDqQ&s=19

gently caress out health care system, burn it down and put the executives on trial

Oh look the death panels the GOP was talking about, turns out its capitalism.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Wonder if it'll change anything anyways, Bibi has been clear about flaunting his powers and corruption, why would this change anything.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Dude is actively saying that the Right Wing counterprotest will be bigger.

He really thinks he can post through this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ASAPI posted:

Earlier, I saw that Bibi survived a no confidence vote last night/this morning.

If the entire nation is effectively striking, how does he survive such a vote? Is there going to be another one?

I didn't realize how "out of sync" the gov was with the population, or is this more of a 50/50 thing?

His government is trying to keep the end run going, already beating their chest about the reform going forward at the end of the summer and pretending nothing will change.

Because they are fascists.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Texas is apparently pushing a TEXIT (Texas Exit) Secession bill, lmao.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ASAPI posted:

They do this every session.

Some of the "statement" bills are allowed to go further than others, but they are all stopped. Besides, it would be difficult for Abbott to attempt a run for the White House if his state tried to succeed.

The dude isn't making a Whitehouse run if Desantis gets shot down by Trump and right now it seems likely he will be.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

If Desantis can't get the nomination, there's no way Abbott will, given the MAGA darlings that operate the circus tent.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

Abbott is in a wheelchair. A tree fell on him and he sued the homeowner for a large sum of money (a move he has since worked to outlaw other people from doing)

How the gently caress did I miss that!

My bad, I ruined the joke.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hasn't crypto started rapidly go out of fashion after the FTX debacle?

Scams never go out of fashion, especially during periods of financial and civil upheaval like now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/BGrueskin/status/1642135642221027329?t=pVem5uwh8jaNTVhXsA_e6g&s=19

Lol when you care more about culture war and owning the libs instead of doing the boring work of process

DeSantis was never gonna win against a super-corporation like Disney anyways, the idea that he was going to end run one of the largest, most profitable orgs in Florida is delusional on his part.

It was always about pretending he could stand up to a woke company.