Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It still wasn't a lab leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Finally, something I can put complete a professional athlete at

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Sounds like there is an available prime space and highly trained labor in the area ripe to start an independent and unionized cafe

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Fair, but the profit margins on a well done cafe are also anti-ruinous. The amount of customers you can service in a location like that is massive.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If things continue as they are I'm gonna be starting my own MIC house in a few years, because the bar for success is so very very low

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I hope someone just deletes his creds and says it was an oopsie. There's gotta be a way to just evaporate a few more billion in value with a few button pushes. Like a cat and a vase on a high shelf.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Being a business student will mean it comes to the exact wrong conclusion

Being a PhD means it will have graph crimes reinforcing the wrong conclusion

Being in academia means that they need to publish an even more wrong conclusion to simp for their future career

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I really hope that leaves a market hole for competently made electric semis instead of poisoning the market.

There will be a role for diesel until 2075, but urban delivery is not one of them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

FrozenVent posted:

I should have specified I meant real engineers, not engine operators.

I think technically he breaks more than he operates.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

FrozenVent posted:

Ukraine thread is right next door.

Occured in international airspace, ergo not Ukrainian related!

Definitely Cold War AIRPOWER thread related though - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910801&goto=lastpost
a pro follow.

Also lol

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
There are two sorts of magic Doritos in the world: Opamps and Rotary Engines.

One is glorious and the other is black magic.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
What if flying ships? No canal limits. Some sort of air...ship?

Also looking forward to the biofuel reformer fuel cell hybrid cargo ships in this make believe scifi future. Since it's the only way other than nuclear to ever get carbon neutral international shipping.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
For the audience confused by the word salad -

A bio fuel reformer takes a hydrocarbon and breaks it down into CO and H2, and then following stages turn the CO into CO2. While that hydrocarbon can really be anything one of the best candidates are the ethanols and alcohols produced by fermenting corns and sugars. Ideally the industrial waste sorts.

Then a fuel cell turns that directly into electricity. The whole process is about 20% more efficient at electrical production than if you just burnt the source hydrocarbon in an reciprocating or turbine engine.

So a ship would use one of those to drive an electric drive train. And fuel cells are expensive, but nearly 100% recyclable, and the cost scales linearly with power output, whereas big engines and turbines get increasingly expensive.

Being a bio fuel it *can* be net neutral, unlike fossil sources.

International shipping requires the energy density of fossil, or bio fuel, or nuclear, to provide for modern society, and you're not going to reform society to change that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
That's called a launch loop space elevator. Which is a slightly more sane version of the fountain style space elevator. Both are metal as hell.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

:frog:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Stultus Maximus posted:

:rolleye:
Biden beat a dozen other candidates by getting more votes. The field wasn't cleared for him. He wasn't anointed. He won elections by campaigning better.

The democrats have no bench. And the coach has every intention on keeping that bench as thin as possible so only "the right sort" get state/federal nominations

The difficulties Bernie and and AOC have are more due to the democratic party apparatus than republican voters

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Stultus Maximus posted:

The response is usually “then get rid of the appeals and execute them the day after the trial “

I am very much against capital punishment. Our legal system should not allow it.

But in the very very rare cases where society needs to remove someone to be better off, summary execution tends to be the best for all involved - Gonna use the Beria execution scene here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xcg72Qv_QE - because gently caress that guy. Sometimes heinous stuff is done by people. Often its done at the command of others, and in those cases you can arrest and imprison the perpetrators. But sometimes you have to punish someone of power, who is above all law except death. But that's beyond the scope of civilized criminal justice anyway.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Grip it and rip it posted:

A functional society doesn't need to summarily execute anyone to be better off at any point. That kind of poo poo is only a "good" move when some beleagured totalitarian group/invidivual needs to further consolidate power. The idea that it's in society's best interest is just false window dressing to sell it to the public.

Nice to see you posting from the 24th century, when we've solved all these things and can work out these things in amicable manners.

I do agree that so long as everybody is playing by the rules of society there is both a logical and moral reason for never executing anybody ever no matter how bad their crimes are. But here those are rule systems like "criminal justice" and "contract negotiation". Whereas you can occasionally run into things like "Genocide" and "Totalitarianism" in which case you get out the 1911 or the guillotine and once the needful is done you move on back to productive endeavors such as teaching or art or maybe even excel spreadsheets.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don’t think any human should decide who is beyond rehabilitation.

I have faith in people, because there are good people. I don't have faith in systems. Both systems and people require constant corrective input to avoid straying into awfulness and systems have a lot more inertia toward it than individuals.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Banning social media would do more to reduce gun violence than banning guns, because social media is one of the root causes that drives people insane enough to do so.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

bengy81 posted:

I need Twitter to be banned too. I found out last week that my old man has a Twitter account.
It's public!
He put his face in his profile pic!
He uses it to make lewd replies to thirst traps and cam girls!

Thats a more honest way to use social media than most.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Bibi will post through it, and not resign, and face no consequences. This is a post-escalator political world.

We had 200 years of "Resign or (implied) lose your head", and now its "Resign or we say mean things about you on twitter"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Its pretty obvious why the B word, covering a full half of the population in a derogatory gendered way, is an lovely insult to use 99% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Every few years we pull up to the station but cannot achieve the plurality vote to pull the stop lever, so we go around once more.