Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

facialimpediment posted:

More of a sportsball thing, but a college basketball player just turned himself into an American soldier by accident and was hosed for a few days:

https://twitter.com/DPiper247/status/1631032122206044162?t=5hczWjXIT74jl9L56Pyaew&s=19

GAMER/TROOP FUEL

And this is why you drink liquor, not energy drinks during gaming marathons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Not past 25 if you like your heart to remain operational lol

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

CBJSprague24 posted:

E- Current events thread is not the NHL thread.

However, is this the place to talk Trump throwing his whole family under the bus if it keeps him out of jail?

The only thing that’s gonna keep him out of jail is a heart attack.

Or reelection

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Only very desperate people want to live on a teacher's salary in Florida. You can probably make more at Publix.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Also in a lot of cases I noticedit was dad who had the job where he could wfh because mom had to go work at the hospital/bank/other “essential job” that put them at risk of bringing Covid home because some shithead didn’t want to wear a mask.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

FrozenVent posted:

Depends on your domain. For example in Canada maritime transport is always federal and worker’s comp is almost always provincial.

So Quebec can have a different standard for hi-visibility strips on coveralls than the federal government, and you need those coveralls unless you’re working in a fully federal domain. So if you’re on a dock, federal domain, your fed coveralls are ok.

Drive the crane off the dock, you’re suddenly* under the provincial labor code so your coveralls are no longer in regs.

In practice you’d go for the most restrictive of the two standard, but heh.

*this is kind of a legal grey area

Another example is that in the US, airplane maintenance standards and record keeping policies are tightly regulated by the FAA, but how and when you’re required to maintain your car/get an inspection/emissions standards are all regulated at the state level.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Fivemarks posted:

I work from home, and my employer micromanages our bathroom breaks. Anytime we have to go to the bathroom, that time is deducted from our break time, so if you have to go to the bathroom for a minute, one of your breaks is going to only be 14 minutes long or some poo poo.

I'm pretty sure this isn't actually legal.

This isn't even considered okay in restaurants and retail.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

MrMojok posted:

This is even funnier when you see Elon has circled back around to his “complete code rewrite” idea

There is probably nothing I wouldn’t give to see Elon and his skeleton crew actually attempt and implement a “complete code rewrite” for twitter.

It would be one of the most hilarious sagas in the entire history of information technology.

People are going to write books about this as a “here’s what you don’t loving do.”

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Mustang posted:

There's plenty of Harvard Business Review cases that cover these subjects, but Musk's Twitter fiasco is unique for doing so many things wrong all at one time.

Some business school PhD student will write a thesis on it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Yes, attempting a military occupation of your neighbor has always gone well, just ask Russia

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
At least the Mexican sociopaths are honest about it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

CommieGIR posted:

I cannot see US forces in Mexico ending well. We've done far too many interventions in South America that have rarely, if ever, ended well for both the people there and us.

Demanding we invade and send in the troops is just the only thing people like Graham and the GOP know how to do. They don't take responsibility for actually solving or dealing with the problems. Just send guys with guns. What's Statecraft?

God forbid we let them have some of the Colorado river so that farming is a reasonable livelihood in northern Mexico again.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I just want legal hallucinogens so I can take a couple days off and trip balls every so often and know what I’m actually taking.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

maffew buildings posted:

that's part of the fun of illicit chemical hallucinogens, though, how far and how off the rails is that train gonna go??

Yeah until you get something that will actually kill you

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Always keep your money in more than one place. I learned this the hard way when I was younger.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Wait, you mean taking dog medicine is a stupid loving idea?

Never would have guessed.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

shame on an IGA posted:

some of those that work forces
eat a paste that's for horses

Hey, if you can’t google wtf you’re taking in TYOOL 2023, I dunno what to tell you

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

To simplify this, you COULD cut the roof off your car and have a convertible. But it'll never be as good as a purpose built one, and will introduce a whole bunch of other problems to boot, so you are better in every regard to buy something built for that purpose.

The other thing to consider in this conversation is that the size of ships is fundamentally limited by the ability to pass through the Panama Canal/Strait of Hormuz/Suez Canal. Nobody is going to pay millions of dollars for a ship that has to sail all the way to Antarctica and back to deliver a payload, it just doesn’t make sense.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

To be fair, sandwiches are a lot more calorie dense than most people realize. Also cured pork products have a ton of sodium in them, and (for example) Jimmy Johns bread has a ton of sugar in it. A 16 inch sub there can easily break 2000 calories.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Lol buddy have I got news for you (the franchise I worked at was staffed mostly by females, but oddly all of the upper management was Christian white men, go figure)

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Also I got to see a mil drone fly over while I was on break today. Pretty cool.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

A buddy sees Ken fairly often when out on walks and receives polite nods, so Hollywood hasn’t gone to his head.

His head is too full, nowhere to put Hollywood

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You know, it’s funny that this keeps coming up. Corporate profits are still at record levels, just not growing as fast. Yet everyone seems to be convincing themselves that the economy is about to go off a cliff, and laying off people and cutting costs to get ahead of it. But it’s those cuts to employment and spending that are going to cause the recession everyone is afraid of. Predicting the economy is like predicting the patterns of herd animals in a sense, but it really feels like there are folks actively steering us towards the cliff here.

This is generally my take as well. Yes, the southwest US is tanking because of high housing prices, a collapsing tech bubble, and no water(or way too much), and a couple ports that can’t get their poo poo together, but that is not indicative of the rest of the national and international economy.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I have a ton of support to do it- I even have a friend who swears she will sell videos. I have people who can coach me and stuff, but I'm more of a 'practice 20 minutes before hit time, and wing it' type of guy.

I just have a beard that I like and don't want to shave, and have a weird aversion to bearded drag. I just need to do it.

The beard grows back whenever you want it to. Go have fun.

(It’ll itch like a motherfucker for a few days)

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I am not a fan of banning TikTok because for better or worse, posting content on there is how a lot of people put food on the table. It feels a lot like republicans screaming “kids need to get real jerbs!”

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Grip it and rip it posted:

I think McNally clarified but to add my own spin: Cops oftentimes will use the social media acconts of individuals they have arrested in order to arrange undercover buy/busts and other hosed up psuedo-undercover police tactics. They also use social media to keep tabs on invdividuals and groups they have decided are "high-risk" or "undesirable" and basically have free reign to conduct their own investigations using these methods.

It's definitely bad, and feeds into the idea that "big data" can help with policing, which is one of the loving worst ideas since Chemical Warfare.

Don’t forget Border Control/Customs, they can and will go through your devices and social media ostensibly to make sure you’re not bringing CP into the country or smuggling drugs or trying to work illegally.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

When I say social media is terrible I specifically mean the algorithms, which is why I like SA.

To be fair, they’re relatively simple to manipulate if you have a basic understanding of what an algorithm is and how it works.

Most people do not.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I just assume anyone that wants information about me will find a way to locate it, especially if I post it online.

Don’t post poo poo you don’t want people to know online. Not complicated

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
but I bet he tries to stack veteran discount with senior discount every time he goes to Golden Corral

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
My parents always have a real tree but we’re in the Carolinas so there’s tree farms everywhere.

I never buy one because I can’t be assed with the effort.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Crab Dad posted:

Lol house of Mouse loving spanked them hah

This drama has been playing out for a while, and pretty much anyone that pays attention to the industry has been laughing their asses off about it because there was no way Disney was gonna let Desantis get his paws on their poo poo. I bet they got a law passed loving decades ago to prevent exactly this kind of crap.

The Florida government was is Disney’s pocket for years.

You Do Not gently caress With The Mouse.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The other fun part is Desantis paying millions of dollars to fight it.

Which is like a tenth of what Disney pays their lawyers.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

My Spirit Otter posted:

well, not until 2053 at least

Nah, amusement parks are regulated at the state level and the likelihood of him finding a way to change that is basically nil.

Remember, RCID is pretty much it’s own little municipality in Orlando. Disneyland is very much within the city of Anaheim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

hypnophant posted:

cash or venmo, same as now

Yeah, from what I’ve heard cashapp/venmo/zelle will be just fine. And ofc we won’t stop printing money, they just want to print less of it because nfc is so commonplace now.

Also it screws North Korea over