Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

What about gigantic floods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Arrath posted:

I'm lowkey disappointed this month's thread didn't begin with an autoban.

Current events: I'm basically trapped in a little California mountain valley. The two mountain passes are snowed in, and the terrible little windy road down the river had a bigass rock fall and shut it down last night.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if some graboids appeared, honestly.

Have you got a basement full of guns

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1631734104357044235?s=20

Building new cities just for funsies is straight up dictator poo poo. Look at Naypyidaw in Myanmar, or the new capital Sisi is building in Egypt.

I made it like a minute into this before Trump started talking about flying cars or some bullshit.

I'm personally a fan of tempting fate by naming a city after the best war crimes simulator ever made

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Fivemarks posted:

I work from home, and my employer micromanages our bathroom breaks. Anytime we have to go to the bathroom, that time is deducted from our break time, so if you have to go to the bathroom for a minute, one of your breaks is going to only be 14 minutes long or some poo poo.

I'm pretty sure this isn't actually legal.

Tell them in so many words to get hosed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I still think part of my burnout at my last job was related to the personal grievance I had to take out against a dude who had some kind of a grudge against me. It's loving exhausting to have to deal with that kind of negativity and someone deliberately trying to sabotage you.
A good example of this is the first time we worked together in months, another staff member took me aside and warned me I needed to watch myself around him - barely hours into the shift.

It must be exhausting to be that bitter.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Toxic people are so, so, so destructive.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Trying to be better is hard, but rewarding. Keep going.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Maybe he thinks there's a magic hat for the person in charge

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Being a business student will mean it comes to the exact wrong conclusion

Being a PhD means it will have graph crimes reinforcing the wrong conclusion

Being in academia means that they need to publish an even more wrong conclusion to simp for their future career

you forgot it will also be cited and grossly misinterpreted by people desperate to prove how supergenius elmo is

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

When I left superyachts, one of the observations I made is that the owners were not buying a yacht so much as they were buying their own little kingdom. I can't help but feel that Musk feels the same way about Twitter, even down to the utter disregard for laws. But seeing all this in enormous publicity instead of on a secret little kingdom is just next level.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That's.... very Children of Men.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Christ the British Raj itself said they completely hosed everything up

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

weak

post through it like a real g

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

no just keep posting you totally got this bro

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

no just post harder

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

why is my lawyer scraeming "LOG OFF" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never log off

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I hope that the lawyer who counselled Musk in this matter has satisfaction in their work.

wait, 2.47am? what timezone is that? was he seriously trying to pwn this dude at 3am????

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The undiscovered country is the future though, something low tax will never be a part of

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Sicario is a great film

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i mean i was referring to the bit towards the end of the first where brolin outright says they haven't got a hope in hell of winning the war but draws the conclusion that rather than find another solution they should just do whatever might give some semblance of control

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I realize this article doesn't say anything new, but seeing it all nicely compiled together was pretty :stare:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61084161

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

The only people I have sympathy for is the folks who have money tied up in Etsy and PayPal, and some of the folks who won’t get a paycheck this week.

VCs and startup bros can figure it out themselves.

I just read Rocket Lab have $38m tied up with them, and I'm less than ok with this.

But then, I guess it was their call.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Wrong Theory posted:

Someone's never seen A Boy and His Dog before.

That film is wonderfully insane

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Idiots Tesla-splaining truck driving to truck drivers on twitter was pretty funny

:frogon:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

This is why you don’t let engineers anywhere near the production floor.

“Can’t we just weld floats to the side of the boat to make it carry more?”

You know who's worse than engineers? Naval architects.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Please no insulting the ginger bears

Are those like gingerbeers?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Well first your main constraint on how much you can load is in port, because you’re likely to hit the bottom before you finish loading. If the port’s deep enough, the next limitation is the ship’s minimum freeboard, which yeah that’s a reserve buoyancy stability thing.

It’s not so much about capsizing though, it’s about how low you are in the water and what it would take for waves to swamp the boat and how quickly she’d sink if that happened. Generally, though, the more loaded you are the more stable you are so capsizing isn’t an issue. (Yes I know the above is oversimplified)

Strapping floaties to the side of the ship to load more makes no sense because a) they’d have to be a few thousand cubic meters big b) the straps would have to be able to withstand a few thousand tons of force to keep them on the ship c) the floatie would be between the ship and the dock so the load rig wouldn’t reach d) this is a highly regulated industry and inspectors don’t like it when you point out there’s no rules that say a dog can’t play basketball.

If you want to load more at the same draft, you have to make the ship bigger. It’s that simple.

To simplify this, you COULD cut the roof off your car and have a convertible. But it'll never be as good as a purpose built one, and will introduce a whole bunch of other problems to boot, so you are better in every regard to buy something built for that purpose.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

What if flying ships? No canal limits. Some sort of air...ship?

Also looking forward to the biofuel reformer fuel cell hybrid cargo ships in this make believe scifi future. Since it's the only way other than nuclear to ever get carbon neutral international shipping.

nuclear

blimps

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress you sandwiches rule

i will never stop eating sandwiches

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i mean i'm not american so my sandwiches aren't 99% processed, so yeah

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

reporting posts, much like using the ignore button, is the cowards way

I reported this post with the reason "I am a coward"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Platystemon posted:

After making a mistake like that, I would simply fly to the other side and defect.

Note to anyone reading this in a professional capacity: the above sentence comprises a joke.

Too late, your welcome wagon awaits

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Good lord

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I have to wonder what her position on abortion is

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Don't you loving DARE, Sam Neil

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-64969344

edit: dilophosaurus snipe

quote:

When chemotherapy treatment started to fail, he began using a new chemotherapy drug that he will continue to take monthly for the rest of his life.

He said he was now cancer-free but needs to continue taking the drug.

From local news, so there's at least that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

God drat it.

Did you miss the 'he said he is now cancer-free'?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I hope that DJT isn’t indicted on the basis that U.S. Marshals lack jurisdiction in Hell.

Dear Raylan Givens:

Please be real.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Never let it be said ze Germans don't have a sense of humour:

"Silicon Valley brings Disruption to Global Finance"

https://www.spiegel.de/internationa...68-8a54d83051eb

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

A lot of the "economy gonna melt down lol" takes don't factor in all the crazy poo poo that governments can do and broker to prevent the cascading meltdowns.

it's unfortunate that the people at the banks themselves DO seem to factor these in as a business model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Wishing you all the kind of lovely Sunday afternoon/evening vibes that only a video of two Proud Boys- one with a bloodied face- being chased out of NYC.

https://twitter.com/ScooterCasterNY/status/1637508550103638019?t=854YvkZgQafAc4JhOMQoAg&s=19

don't ever gently caress with drag queens