Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What about gigantic floods
First read this as "gigantic foods" and am now disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
My takeaway from the whole Havana Syndrome fiasco is that it's incredibly easy for humans to fall victim to social contagion around health issues. 1000-some individuals came forward reporting cases, a few dozen still ardently attributing serious and persistent symptoms to it. All did so in apparent sincerity, but it looks like they were largely victims of a hysteria that exacerbated their negative mental response to unrelated symptoms to the point of debilitation. They'd heard others in their community were facing this "attack", so a maladaptive response to attribute their own symptoms to the same resulted for some in a long-term psychosomatic disorder.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
New cities?? But that's where the homeless and the libs live! What America needs is more small towns and rangelands :patriot:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Richard Bong posted:

Another thing being completely missed in this terrible idea is that the war would be on both sides of the border. The families of US troops and politicians would get targeted.

The cartels have a lot of people in the US already.

The amount of troops getting catfished and found hanging from a bridge near base would be huge.
I mean, if it's that bad, seems like a problem that'd be best to root out.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Having the option to work from home as needed is a must, but permanently eliminating one of the few remaining venues of regular socialization outside people's friend groups sounds like a great way to increase isolation and decrease empathy, both with the gloomy consequences you'd expect. Aside from workplaces with toxic cultures where in-person interaction isn't any better, most of the complaints people have about the office actually stem from other fundamental problems in the way we structure our society.

Commute too long? Well, yeah, our land use policies don't allow enough homes to be built where people most want to live, so you either get cheaper further out or pay more closer in. Couple that with transportation policy that enshrines the primacy of the personal automobile and you've got gridlock, isolation, and frustration.

I've got a vehemently anti-RTO coworker who moved out of the city during Covid who asserts the city is simultaneously dying and adding too many new residents, the latter of which will extend his commute because he made the choice to buy a McMansion in the burbs with zero transit access. His solution, aside from no RTO, is to add lanes to accommodate more vehicles—only achievable by cannibalizing pedestrian, cyclist, and bus infrastructure, forcing more people into cars.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
"Steel barricades" is an interesting framing on what appears to be a waist-high fence.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don’t think any human should decide who is beyond rehabilitation.
I'm now imagining an AirBud situation where they put the prosecutor on one side and the accused on the other and let the dog choose which one is executed.

Less adorably: ChatGPT

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Just LOL that "what about AMERICA'S exploitation of tech cos." is still used as a retort to China's exploitation of the same. It's 2023—revisionist authoritarian powers are loving with their neighbors and undermining democracies, but some still can't let a criticism against them get by without empty equivocation.

America bad and should be better, thanks. Let's just please not handwave others' abuses.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

it's a distraction to take the focus off of our actual issues. who needs to worry about all of our problems when we can point and go "china... bad!"
We can walk and chew gum at the same time. While the House GOP is making a spectacle for political points, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be thwarting any inroads made by hostile, antidemocratic powers. And maybe spreading awareness of the dangers of the privacy invasions as perpetrated by the Chinese can be a salient point for reining in similar at home.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Whataboutism:
"Do you think TikTok should be banned because of the threat posed by China using the data?"
"American companies do it and i don't see you saying anything about that!"

Not whataboutism:
"Do you think TikTok should be banned because of the threat posed by China using the data?"
"I don't think it's a big deal since my own country does it to me too"
Alright, so not tankies, just stubbornly shortsighted.

On one side, you've got a deeply flawed democracy where there are nominally rules in place to protect citizens' privacy. Sometimes those rules work, but motivated actors in the intelligence and policing communities push constantly at the boundaries, resulting in grave problems that require fixing. Citizens have the ability to demand accountability and oversight, which is occasionally heeded by their elected officials, resulting in this cycle of waxing and waning levels of abusive surveillance. It's never really been at a "good" spot, but there are real mechanisms in place that imperfectly mitigate harm.

On the other side, you've got a rising authoritarian power pursuing all avenues available to it to regain the status of its predecessor states. Prime among these avenues is undermining its chief rivals. Citizens daring to voice an iota of criticism are either forced to undergo a process of public shaming to deter others or are outright disappeared. You, as a citizen of a foreign state beyond the direct control of the autocrat, are a potential target for passive opinion shaping or active blackmail. You may benefit from a relative insignificance that keeps you from being a direct target of any machinations, but that's poor comfort.

It's all too easy to steep in all the awful abuses and violations perpetrated in the United States and numbly say, "Wow, it can't possibly get worse than this." But it can. It so, so, so can. Recognition of this doesn't diminish the fight we face for our privacy at home. If anything, it should empower our struggle by providing a crystal clear example of the horrors that lie down the road to unfreedom. I get the desire to voice frustration with the domestic situation, but there are better ways to do it than by vocally poohpoohing other real risks.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I'm honestly surprised I have yet to see a Tucker segment about how Minnie Mouse is "obviously" just Mickey in drag.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I loving hope so.
*Monkey's paw curls*

Out of the governor's office; into the Oval Office.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is my favorite part of modern US residential "planning". Tearing poo poo out and naming it after the stuff that was destroyed.
No no, we should keep doing this, but instead of giant swathes of nature, tear out urban highways and replace them with neighborhoods. "I5 Heights"; "I90 Valley"; etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Welp, OP of the April thread was proven right that y'all would keep posting in March if they didn't drop a link here. pretty lame rear end prank imho