Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Post here about Chinese balloons and train derailments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Oh no the NLRB has ruled against us.

[Pause]

Anyway start the paper trail about that location not being profitable.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Is that tant available anywhere? I’m curious.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

True crime in media is marketed to women, and anecdotally it seems to be popular with them.

Be nice to each other. Thanks.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

pmchem posted:

the cities thing is dumb but the USA will need to deal with the birth rate issue eventually, just like europe and japan. the government should better incentivize people raising families, although how exactly is a matter for debate. in the future that topic will get bipartisan legislation.

The birth rate isn’t down. The white people birth rate is down.

Whenever you see poo poo like that nowadays, it’s racism and white supremacy.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm personally a fan of tempting fate by naming a city after the best war crimes simulator ever made

He’s naming a city Rimworld?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

ASAPI posted:

Be careful. My wife watches enough of that to make me think she has a rather extensive "don't make that mistake" list.

She also started buying very specific cleaning supplies. I will start to really worry when she starts buying barrels or saws.

Whatever you do, do not make her your life insurance beneficiary.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

Technically as merchant marine you work from home too.

Says a lot that in a thread that just took a curve into what the gently caress, this is the most egregious post. What the gently caress dude? What the gently caress? No. Don’t say poo poo like that.

The rest of y’all, this is the current event thread, where we post about current events. There is no current posters thread so… idk report and move on.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

slurm posted:

There's a grain of truth in it in that I really don't understand at all what it's like to wake up every day (all year!) and grind through hours of traffic to work exclusively on a PC worse than my home PC, which I think is the traditional white collar experience honestly. I'm sorry I took a dig at WFH parents, I didn't realize the experience had been that bad for so many people because I probably only know really coddled WFHers (tech).

My dude have you ever taken care of kids?

Imagine you had to do eight hours of PMS / SMS paperwork and parts order in a day. Also you have two safety meetings.

K now imagine doing that with a five year old running around the ECR.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Depends on your domain. For example in Canada maritime transport is always federal and worker’s comp is almost always provincial.

So Quebec can have a different standard for hi-visibility strips on coveralls than the federal government, and you need those coveralls unless you’re working in a fully federal domain. So if you’re on a dock, federal domain, your fed coveralls are ok.

Drive the crane off the dock, you’re suddenly* under the provincial labor code so your coveralls are no longer in regs.

In practice you’d go for the most restrictive of the two standard, but heh.

*this is kind of a legal grey area

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Change job. What the gently caress.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It’s not about the money, it’s about the message.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Still can't find good sourcing on the $100M because the Ueno acquisition by twitter didn't have disclosed terms. But Ed Zitron posts a good question:

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1633275855580577793

:five:

Oh, honey.

https://siliconangle.com/2011/09/12/forum-user-passwords-possibly-stolen-in-bitcointalk-org-bill-cosby-hack/

Goons were loving around with Bitcoin back when Satoshi was still around.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The undiscovered country is the future though, something low tax will never be a part of

God drat

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I often wonder what kind of poster Elon would be if he were a goon.

There’s no way Elon never at least lurked the forums.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

New conspiracy theory: Putin is using his American politicians to steer America into a war with Mexico so America stops helping Ukraine.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Jimmy Smuts posted:

American invasion of Canada, round 3. Canada does have a good amount of sweet, sweet crude right? Sooo

Nah it’s really loving sour actually.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

So wait - do yall think people shouldn't visit American cities because of the gun violence?

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-states

quote:

Gun violence

The rate of firearm possession in the US is high. It’s legal in many states for US citizens to openly carry firearms in public.

Incidences of mass shootings occur, resulting most often in casualties. Although tourists are rarely involved, there is a risk of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Familiarize yourself on how to respond to an active shooter situation.

Active Shooter Event Quick Reference Guide - Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The only people I have sympathy for is the folks who have money tied up in Etsy and PayPal, and some of the folks who won’t get a paycheck this week.

VCs and startup bros can figure it out themselves.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

ivermectin influencer? more like influenza :rip:

Iverfluencer.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Room for slippers?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

This is why you don’t let engineers anywhere near the production floor.

“Can’t we just weld floats to the side of the boat to make it carry more?”

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I notice you didn't answer the question!

No, you can’t. You can’t weld floatie wings to this 30,000 ton bulk carrier to allow it to load more cargo.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You know who's worse than engineers? Naval architects.

I should have specified I meant real engineers, not engine operators.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Please no insulting the ginger bears

Yeah if they could read they’d get real upset.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Well now I want to see a cargo ship dropping enormous outriggers after getting out to sea. In theory wouldn't the extra stability let you load more since it would be ok for the ship to be lower in the water without risking capsizing?

Well first your main constraint on how much you can load is in port, because you’re likely to hit the bottom before you finish loading. If the port’s deep enough, the next limitation is the ship’s minimum freeboard, which yeah that’s a reserve buoyancy stability thing.

It’s not so much about capsizing though, it’s about how low you are in the water and what it would take for waves to swamp the boat and how quickly she’d sink if that happened. Generally, though, the more loaded you are the more stable you are so capsizing isn’t an issue. (Yes I know the above is oversimplified)

Strapping floaties to the side of the ship to load more makes no sense because a) they’d have to be a few thousand cubic meters big b) the straps would have to be able to withstand a few thousand tons of force to keep them on the ship c) the floatie would be between the ship and the dock so the load rig wouldn’t reach d) this is a highly regulated industry and inspectors don’t like it when you point out there’s no rules that say a dog can’t play basketball.

If you want to load more at the same draft, you have to make the ship bigger. It’s that simple.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Ukraine thread is right next door.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Capesizes hit the Suez Canal draft limit on occasion. Most ships are size limited by other factors long before they hit the canal limits.

There’s a reason Handysize is a whole category on the Baltic.

CainFortea posted:

That's why extra floaty bits makes sense. Going through a canal, just put the containers on the floaty bits and tow them behind you. THen when you're through, put them back on the ship and use the extra floats to keep you upright! Bing bong so simple.

I don’t have enough booze in me to address this.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Nonsense, you fold up the outriggers over top of the boat when going into a canal or docking, then drop them down when you're at sea. Same as you see on some ocean going kayaks, they're all just boats right?

Like this, but a bit bigger:

Air draft is a thing, and you’ve just hosed up your stability by hoisting up those loving things.

Alright fun boat derail over, back to current events please.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

McNally posted:

Folks, please recalibrate your sarcasm detectors before hitting the report button.

Post the report.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Was the point of spraying it with Jet-A to soak it in the hopes something sparked an explosion and Vlad could go "Not us, comrade"? :ussr:

It’s the plane equivalent of spitting on someone.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If they’re talking about bags I’m guessing it’s concentrate in big bags (intermediate bulk whatever is the official name) at like 10% nickel per weight. Those usually don’t get stolen, so either someone lied on their bills of lading and shipped gravel, or they realized some bags weren’t as pure as they should’ve been.

Edit: it’s bags of briquettes that didn’t meet specs - https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/lme-finds-irregularities-several-nickel-bags-warehouse-2023-03-17/

There’s probably fraud involved. Amazing.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 17, 2023

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

I've always what happened to the executives of places that infamously crash and burn, but didn't end up in jail. I just always assumed other execs look at that and go "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you might not be responsible for lovely finance corp inc. going under but lol I aint putting you as "chief accounts executive".

Oh my sweet summer child.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah whatever call me when something actually happens.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

ASAPI posted:

Does anyone know why they were told not to come in today?

I don't understand these "pauses" that occur during trials. How much time do these guys waste in a day? Does it all boil down to a mountain of paperwork or something? Courts seem to work less hours than S1.

Courts usually have multiple files on the go at once, they also need to do all sort of paperwork and formalities without the juries in the room. The process is intended to be thorough, that make it slow.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You don’t even need anesthesia for the nitrogen method. It’s not going to be super pretty but it’ll be painless.

Of course, the cruelty is the point.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Even the straightest of male muppet has a man’s forearm up their rear end, so they’re all bi to start with.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

My (last) Rabbi is assuring me these are “Liberal reform pro Palestinian “Israelis” protesting”

He’s an unhinged Trumper.

That was a depressing series of texts.

Oy ve

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I hope he had a good time in socialized mental healthcare and work to expand that to everyone in ‘merica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Midjack posted:

Weather Channel was better when it was elevator music and white text on a blue screen

Not empty quoting.

I also miss the classified ads channel.