Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Have things stopped getting worse, yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
"we are going to restrict api access to paying customers" is maybe not the correct approach to take when you aren't paying your bills :thunk:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
yes, hence the joke (elon has not been paying twitter's various real estate and service fees)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

CBJSprague24 posted:

There was also a noticeable but inexplicable grudge brought to my attention by 2 different members of staff that my boss had toward me almost as if he didn't want me there despite hiring me.

The boss of a place I worked at was the company owner who hired on his employees and he hated all of us.

The problem is that you are a person who has opinions and feelings and a wage, and your boss would prefer you had none of those things.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Every ounce of Elon's suffering is delicious because it is entirely, wholly, one hundred percent his fault. It's pure schadenfreude.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
If I was in charge of dealing with the Mexico cartel problem I would simply find somewhere else to be.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
funds are safu

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
isn't life expectancy going down, particularly in the us?

i'd laugh at it but

Tiny Timbs posted:

Actually SS is totally fine and definitely not under attack by devils who will probably get their way

:sigh:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

ivermectin influencer? more like influenza :rip:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
here lies danny, took horse wormer and paste away

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
if we are heading into a crash (and it's always easy to make claims of such) then like too many others it will be due to the excessive greed everywhere. can't have an economic engine if you're starving the actual people who power that engine

the easiest and most obvious solution is to stop letting people run up the high scores on the wealth chart and start actually investing in social welfare and direct cash aid, but lol

in somewhat related news:
Newsom announces $50-million contract to make California’s own brand of insulin

quote:

... Pending approval by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the deal with Civica would provide the first pharmaceutical product made under the CalRX brand of generic drugs.

Under the deal, a 10-milliliter vial — normally costing $300 — would be made available for the same $30 it costs the state to manufacture and distribute the drug, according to the governor’s office. Newsom’s office said that as a result of such sharply reduced prices, patients who pay out of pocket for insulin would save between $2,000 and $4,000 annually.

“Do not be misled. These companies that all of a sudden are jumping over each other to rush in this direction — they’re just providing discount cards,” he said. “Those costs are being borne by the plans. Those costs are being socialized and shifted to everybody else.”

“What this does,” he said, “is a game changer. This fundamentally lowers the cost. Period. Full stop.”

:sickos:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
to the surprise of nobody billionaires are sociopaths

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Work from home / return to office should be driven by what makes people the most comfortable and productive, there's not really anything to it beyond that. For some people that means being in an office environment, for some people that involves being at home. But trying to force everyone back into an office for no reason other than "butt in chair" is laughably wrong.

And yeah, seconded on the "I don't want to do my socializing at work, with people I work for/with". I would much rather have a return to actually having proper third places.

While I'm wishing for the impossible I would also like several billion dollars and a functional pancreas.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Defenestrategy posted:

I've always what happened to the executives of places that infamously crash and burn, but didn't end up in jail. I just always assumed other execs look at that and go "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you might not be responsible for lovely finance corp inc. going under but lol I aint putting you as "chief accounts executive".

e: similarly to "oh my sweet summer child", lol. after a certain point you fail upwards

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
what was that line? "i feel sorry for your country, but this is tremendous content :yooge:"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Arrath posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/23/new-starbucks-ceo-says-hell-work-a-shift-at-its-cafes-once-a-month.html

New CEO of Starbucks says he'll pull a not-so-undercover boss and work a half shift as a barista once a month.

It might be more impactful if he took a barista's pay for a month now and then, but maybe at least they'll publicise when he will work a shift so a flash mob can descend and order a big pile of 19-ingredient "secret menu" monstrosities at once?

so jaded my first thought is "now that i've worked 4 hours in their shoes i am qualified to say their current pay and benefits level is adequate and will not be improved and perhaps are even too generous"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
when china does it, that's the government doing it, and that's bad

but when the us does it, that's private corporations that are doing it, and that's good

and anyone who thinks the us government doesn't already have its fingers in pretty much every possible pie is pretty naïve. we have :nsa: for a reason

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That does make me wonder, now; given Florida's increasingly strict don't-say-gay bill, are we going to see gender and sexuality pamphlets air-dropped around schools?

What kind of recourse would FL have against someone setting up shop outside a high school offering info? I mean I know there's something, but I'm curious.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/PublishersWkly/status/1639390560820637697

greed wins

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the panic over "oh no a foreign government is running a social media website and slurping up info" really does feel completely misplaced when you consider the effect our own domestic social media platforms have had and the fact that the police in america are more than happy to do their own little social media following for their own fascist ends

it's a distraction to take the focus off of our actual issues. who needs to worry about all of our problems when we can point and go "china... bad!"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Cugel the Clever posted:

We can walk and chew gum at the same time. While the House GOP is making a spectacle for political points, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be thwarting any inroads made by hostile, antidemocratic powers. And maybe spreading awareness of the dangers of the privacy invasions as perpetrated by the Chinese can be a salient point for reining in similar at home.

being able to do something is extremely different from actually doing something. call me when there's a single iota of concern for the poo poo going on in our own borders, because until then, it's all meaningless bullshit.

basically, extremely this:

McNally posted:

Is it, though? On the one hand we have "a 'hostile foreign government' is collecting our metadata for... reasons?" On the other we have "here is proof that domestic law enforcement is collecting our metadata and employing it against us."

we have documented, very obvious, very visible problems with social media within our own borders. we have documented evidence of law enforcement using social media to go after left-leaning groups and actively working with alt-right fuckheads. we have a megalomaniac running one of the biggest social media services and openly turning it into a nazis-allowed fascist free-for-all.

but also like, gently caress does it matter? we have citizens united. the election manipulation is coming from inside the house! :wth:

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1639586525825441792?t=On0iSSi71QmlNMGrsPwDqQ&s=19

gently caress out health care system, burn it down and put the executives on trial

every one of these people needs to rot in the deepest pits of hell

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Grip it and rip it posted:

I would never vote to convict someone who murdered a healthcare insurance executive I don't think.

put the "execute" in "executive"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Elviscat posted:

That's probably optimistic, with all the debt and everything he saddled the company with, and how much talent he's let go.

yeah i'm pretty sure it's "worth less" :dadjoke:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
lol goddamn. when you said they were storming his house you really undersold just how much protesting is going on

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Okay okay guys you can stop protesting, I won't do it for another few months

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Tiny Timbs posted:

I was hoping Desantis would put up more of a fight. The humiliation is coming too fast and too strong to keep me going through the election cycle.

in case you missed it this is a poll from noted highly scientific poll taker cat turd two

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Kith posted:

god damnit.

gently caress

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
if there's one thing i'm not gonna rag on anyone for it's getting a fake tree. gently caress real christmas trees in america. boy howdy i love to buy a big mature tree just to throw it in a dumpster in two weeks.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Arrath posted:

My parents always got a live one in a pot from a nursery, kept it very studiously watered, and then we'd get to dig a hole in the rain/snow a few days after Christmas.

My folks do have a bunch of very healthy trees throughout the property now, so it seems to have worked.

poo poo like this i have no problem with, if you're getting a real tree to plant later then that's cool and good. it's the "yeah we just chopped it off at the bottom, put it in some water so it doesn't totally dry out before it turns into a shriveled husk :)" ones that can go away forever

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
we need a :america: but for :zaurg:*:

Evacuations underway after freight train derails, catches fire in Minnesota

quote:

A freight train derailed in a fiery crash near a small town in Minnesota early Thursday, forcing residents to evacuate as a precaution, officials said.

The incident was reported at around 1 a.m. CT. Multiple tankers of a train operated by BNSF Railway derailed and caught fire on the western edge of Raymond, a town in Minnesota's southwestern Kandiyohi County that has a population of less than 800. The tankers were carrying "a form of ethanol" and "a corn syrup liquid," according to a press release from the Kandiyohi County Sheriff's Office.

BNSF spokesperson Lena Kent confirmed to ABC News that "approximately 22 cars" of a train "carrying mixed freight including ethanol and corn syrup" derailed near Raymond at 1:02 a.m. The company, one of the largest freight railroad networks in North America, is investigating the cause of the incident and, so far, there were no reported casualties, according to Kent.

"BNSF field personnel are responding to assess the derailment site and will be working closely with local first responders," Kent told ABC News in a statement Thursday. "The main track is blocked and an estimated time for reopening the line is not available."

Approximately 13 rail cars were carrying ethanol. Four train cars that are on fire contain ethanol, FEMA officials said Thursday.

a few days after a different train company decided to end its push for only one conductor per train. lol

* train crashes in general, not zaurg.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Yeah the general figure I hear is that there are about 3 a day on average, so it'd really be more like :murica:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Mine (living in Vegas) was always places named absurd things, like "Pacific Islands" in Henderson that used to advertise

"Fantastic Ocean Views!*
(* just kidding)"

Better than the ones that are just random nonsense or numbers.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Also going to link the Severe Weather thread if you're interested in the ongoing weather poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Midjack posted:

Weather Channel was better when it was elevator music and white text on a blue screen punctuated with occasional maps with a person pointing at them:
https://youtu.be/QLsqM6g4g9E

Check out https://battaglia.ddns.net/twc/ :v: