Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Is this this first time we've seen the legitimacy of just closing the workplace that tries to unionize being questioned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Professional class white millennials are getting a massive childcare subsidy in the form of being WFH now and able to take care of their kids in between sending two emails a day.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
That's a really weird post. Anyway I guess the WFH people I know have really cherry jobs and I was hoping against hope that someone was finally getting a good deal in the US. I guess not.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

The WFH people here are definitely on the better end of the job spectrum but I'm bay area.

Having a lot of kids used to be the way since more hands could do more work and several would die anyways. Now the best way to give your offspring the best chances in life is to dedicate everything into one. This speaks to the high cost of medical and schooling and everything else.

You can really easily break your one kid doing that too, so it seems like kind of a nasty double bind.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

FrozenVent posted:

Says a lot that in a thread that just took a curve into what the gently caress, this is the most egregious post. What the gently caress dude? What the gently caress? No. Don’t say poo poo like that.

There's a grain of truth in it in that I really don't understand at all what it's like to wake up every day (all year!) and grind through hours of traffic to work exclusively on a PC worse than my home PC, which I think is the traditional white collar experience honestly. I'm sorry I took a dig at WFH parents, I didn't realize the experience had been that bad for so many people because I probably only know really coddled WFHers (tech).

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

Just sail 1st Engineer and rule with an iron fist. I'm so uptight I poo poo diamonds.

Remember the guy who was mad no one was working on their night watches alone, because he had done so much on his, but it was a cribbage board?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

bulletsponge13 posted:

It would be like GWOT but worse, with more casualties.

Is refighting GWOT even on anyone's radar in a post-Feb 2022 world? I don't think anyone could do whatever that was again, fall into those roles, not after everyone's had a taste of the real thing.

Edit: to be clear the fact that artillery wars of extermination are back on the menu is VERY BAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Richard Bong posted:

Another thing being completely missed in this terrible idea is that the war would be on both sides of the border. The families of US troops and politicians would get targeted.

The cartels have a lot of people in the US already.

The amount of troops getting catfished and found hanging from a bridge near base would be huge.

The big question is if they're already "near-peer ISIL" when have we lost our chance entirely? Are they close to an independent deterrent?