Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Let's not lose the last discussion in the Feb thread about the new report suggesting that Havana Syndrome might be as dumb and made up as it obviously has been all along (and how Blinken still believes in it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Midjack posted:

DC's Union Station is inexcusably lovely and hopefully they can get someone running it who will invest more than $5/ year in maintenance and improvements.

On the contrary, I think the vibe of a slowly rotting glorious building paired with extremely lovely services and random armed cops is a perfect welcome to DC.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

If this happens it'll be a lot worse than any previous military boondoggle the US has been mired in. For one thing the people being abused will be able to walk to where the ones responsible live. For another, I do believe that there would be some minds on the right dreaming up an Ultimate Answer to the Mexican Conundrum.

It's the hunt for Pancho Villa, mk II, and would probably be just as dumb.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

I haven't read anything on it, but why is the cartel kidnapping Americans on vacation significant this time? Doesn't the state department usually post warnings of "Hey if you're traveling to mexico, we have limited ways to help you and don't travel to these specific parts because it's real bad."

This one is a little more brutal than typical, apparently they may have mistaken the group for somebody else because they lit up the van first then grabbed two folks and ran off. I've seen some speculation that they thought they were a Haitian gang. It also happened not very far away from the border, rather than deeper into the interior. Normally with a kidnapping there's a lot less violence and there's a ransom negotiation that starts much sooner than this time. It's legitimately a really lovely thing that people shouldn't have to worry about, and the whole Matamoros area on both sides of the border has gotten consistently poo poo on from a great height by both governments. I just don't think deploying US troops would help with that much.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

I guess this confirms the idea that the attack in MX was an accident rather than intentional. El Grupo Escorpiones has apologized and handed over some dudes to whoever wants to take revenge.

https://twitter.com/ElParece/status/1633866013841162249?s=20

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

orange juche posted:

Lindsey Graham is just a dumbass chickenhawk but of course idiots will listen to him

Do idiots even listen to him? I get the impression he's more like a poo poo magnifier, he manages to figure out which way the turds are flowing and publicly announces how he thought of it first.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

According to V-Dem,* no.

https://thewire.in/rights/india-autocratiser-v-dem-report-2023

*There's legitimate criticisms of V-Dem's ratings, but they're at least attempting to be consistent and objective in how they rate democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

poo poo like this i have no problem with, if you're getting a real tree to plant later then that's cool and good. it's the "yeah we just chopped it off at the bottom, put it in some water so it doesn't totally dry out before it turns into a shriveled husk :)" ones that can go away forever

I strip the branches off of ours, leave it out over the winter to cure, and then have a nice 4-5' conical post to use to frame stuff in the garden or as temporary fence posts to run wire to keep our raspberries from flopping all over the place.