Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

weird that that doesn't even touch on the whole right wing russian moral panic about anime in Russia as the explicit embodiment of foreign lgbtq non-hyper-masculine culture

like they link this image which should give an idea of where part of the pushback is coming from but weirdly don't really bring it up

with that said, man everything about the ryodan/anti-ryodan stuff is super weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I think it's a lot more likely that he learned about the Saudi bonesaw squad (who by the way historically have been involved in stuff massively lower stakes than Elon's involvement with MBS) than that he's worried about a an actual corporate takeover per se

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 7, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

Musk isn't going to get a visit from the Saudi bonesaw squad. It's rather gross the number of posts approaching gore fetishization that get made every time someone speculates about it happening.

Musk has security because very billionaire is worried about financially motivated kidnapping and also random stalkers. Musk also has security because of stimulant abuse induced paranoia. Musk doesn't have security because MBS is gonna murder him for losing money on twitter. MBS and Xi are willing to murder their domestic financial elite and unimportant foreigners to maintain power but the entire system of globalization relies on the idea that super rich foreign businessmen are personally safe. The US government is going to say some disapproving words when a journalist gets murdered but none of the people with money and influence are going to tolerate Western governments allowing one of their class to get murdered.

To be clear i'm suggesting that his personal feeling of vulnerability is the driving thing here, not that the Saudis (or anyone else) are actually about to hurt Musk. Idk if Musk actually understands how the global order wrt rich business people works well enough to feel safe, nor that he would even trust his interpretation of it with his life. Way easier for him to just hire some full-time babysitters who are good at saying the words that will make him feel safe.

To add to his paranoia, he's also got a stream of sycophants' telling him that various groups are out to get him. I suspect his paranoia goes out well beyond just the potential for kidnapping or random stalkers, both of which are things he already had security for, anyways.

quote:

This also assumes that the Saudis are upset about losing money on Twitter and aren't happy that Musk ended up crippling it as a platform for fostering regime dissent.

At least on this point, twitter has been a lot more useful as a tool for shutting down activists and unwinding activist networks than it has as a tool for activism. Hence the Saud's significant personal stake in it.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 7, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I hope Trump is indicted and convicted purely so I never have to hear or see people parroting this dogshit nothing matters tweet ever again.

I'm not really an optimist about trump ever facing a proportional amount of justice, but if there's one thing that might possibly lead to that it's that a lot of people on every side of american politics want nothing more than to never hear his bullshit again or have to put up with him being relevant

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
those famously worked very well in DC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

bulletsponge13 posted:

I disagree. There are people who are beyond rehabilitation- people who can't be fixed, and will continue to do their heinous actions upon release. I think it's more humane to execute them than it is to keep them locked up for the rest of their lives.

E- I also killed people for money, so there is that.

Even in countries with no death penalty and 20 year maximum prison sentences, people deemed sufficiently predatory or otherwise incapable of existing in society don't ever get out. They end up hospitalized. It means people get a second chance and it does a ton to keep prisons from going completely batfuck insane from, basically, lifer culture and the effects of people living with zero hope of freedom.

e:

Hekk posted:

Looks like everyone has picked their side and made their claims on why the death penalty should/should not continue.

Let’s move onto some other topic now. Nothing good will come from trying to convince others why your firmly held belief is the correct one.

sorry, just saw this

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 24, 2023