Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I would go into SF more if there was better public transit but gently caress the bay bridge. The izakaya is much better there I'm just not dealing with traffic or parking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Big fan of his talking style when its happening to other people

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don’t get the birth rate thing. What’s the problem, exactly? Is there an assumption that people will just keep avoiding kids until nobody’s left? That a smaller growth rate somehow means a trend toward zero? Even if people were breeding at less than replacement rate why would that rate remain fixed as the population shrinks instead of leveling out or going back up?

Social security is already boned so that argument’s a miss for me, and I definitely don’t care about having enough strong backs around to guide the boomers into the grave.

I think the replacement rate is around 2.1 births per couple. Below that the population will shrink. When that happens it will age, meaning you have fewer young people and more old people. That means difficult things all around, not just social security. Increases in healthcare needs with fewer workers, fewer workers all around, more retirees etc. (These are just quick assumptions). Japan is a good example with high healthcare needs, a deflationary economy, fewer young workers. How this plays out according to your questions I have no idea.

Last I heard the US was above the replacement rate mainly due to immigration, not births, but I haven't looked at this in awhile so could be wrong. There are a lot of unknowns in this problem.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
The WFH people here are definitely on the better end of the job spectrum but I'm bay area.

Having a lot of kids used to be the way since more hands could do more work and several would die anyways. Now the best way to give your offspring the best chances in life is to dedicate everything into one. This speaks to the high cost of medical and schooling and everything else.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

TheWeedNumber posted:

Why do you feel that it's a weird post? It suits you to a T. If you can lust for Russian civilian death, you can be convinced to support the death of an entire people, full stop. If this bothers you, consider grabbing onto and cultivating what little empathy and humanity you still retain. Thank you.

What the

Chill ad hominem attacks don't advance an argument in either direction and he isn't the only one that thinks WFH is easy mode as evidenced by companies trying to bring people back in.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

Those companies deserve to be attacked btw

Obviously. Even more reason to respond logically with good info though.

TheWeedNumber posted:

Not talking about WFM but a prior issue. Hope that helps.

E: I didn't wanna leave it without recognizing your suggestion. I'll keep it in mind whenever I actually want to try to convince someone, not dunk on a horrible person. Thank you for suggesting it.

That issue is over and irrelevant. Just ?????? It like everyone else.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Never sweat on the clock, never poo poo off it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I still think part of my burnout at my last job was related to the personal grievance I had to take out against a dude who had some kind of a grudge against me. It's loving exhausting to have to deal with that kind of negativity and someone deliberately trying to sabotage you.
A good example of this is the first time we worked together in months, another staff member took me aside and warned me I needed to watch myself around him - barely hours into the shift.

It must be exhausting to be that bitter.

Just sail 1st Engineer and rule with an iron fist. I'm so uptight I poo poo diamonds.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

slurm posted:

Remember the guy who was mad no one was working on their night watches alone, because he had done so much on his, but it was a cribbage board?

Barely. I spent the trip partying with the 2nd and telling him not to work on watch at night by himself and the 1st hated it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
In the US it was (is?) illegals don't get constitutional protection so

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I was thinking of Trump trying to deny access to lawyers

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
He would be failed FYAD whitenoise at best

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol he'd be run out of gbs, fyad would eat him alive

He has millions of followers and can't whitenoise shitpost on his own platform. He spent $44 billion to be the main character you think he's headed to GBS??

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
What happened to rolling with the punches

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
We could call it a War on Drug Gangs. Theres no way we will be able to lose

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

Perhaps there could be a school to teach Central and South American military officers to effectively counter cartel activities. I'm not sure what this school would be called, but maybe that would help and not create conditions that lead to this sort of problem again in the future

This could work if those governments were sympathetic to our position. We might have to.... influence some presidents to ensure their cooperation.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Oh now hear me out, we could sell RUSSIA weapons in their conflict against Ukraine to fund counter cartel activity!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

That Works posted:

Legalize the drugs, forbid import of said drugs from outside the USA to claim its for health reasons (like we forbid prescription ones from Canada). Then the opium producers in the US can shift to making and selling legal coke. Your 401k does better and we get to watch the poors flush their life down the tubes while making big bank for the healthcare companies that get permanent debtors.

Meanwhile the cartel moneystream dries up and it goes to big pharma instead.

At least they would be able to branch out from booze and lotto tickets.

Maybe if the government started up an anti drug campaign challenging kids to not do drugs. Something like I bet you can't stay off drugs kids should work really well, especially in tandem with a war on Mexican drugs. I'm really surprised these things haven't been tried before.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

I was going to ask y'all just what the gently caress Silicon Valley Bank actually loving was, because everyone is speaking gibberish about it and none of it penetrates my brain.

But lol they're gone now, officially a failed bank taken over by the FDIC:

https://twitter.com/kgreifeld/status/1634234151783022606?t=H5yng8MG__44t8o02wPJhA&s=19

I think they were just a 17-branch bank that catered specifically to silicon valley venture capital tech bro speculation and now they're the first dead insured bank since the early pandemic. RIP whatever the gently caress that bank was!

They catered to startups, providing early stage funding, but also advice and connections. Close to venture capital. When I talked to them their people made it sound like they were a step closer to more traditional banks and thus a step more conservative in their investments than traditional venture cap.

They also had an investment arm in wine in Napa and a presence in Isreal to catch Israeli startups among other places.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 10, 2023

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Companies need a place to put their money, thus SVB. You would be liquidating a lot of companies letting this stand overnight. The 250k limit is just FDIC max since most normal people would be covered. Companies would be ripping their money out of there.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

pmchem posted:

a lot of the >$250k uninsured amounts will be covered as the bank's assets get liquidated

True but this is a slow process, companies, especially startups, can't wait and need access funds.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Leave posted:

Hi, I'm high and stupid; I live in the Midwest, does that bank failing affect me in any way?

What kind of far reaching effects could this have? Could it ripple across the country like that?

Currently, no. Its unlikely to go far but no promises.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
So yeah, SVB was a major bank in the wine industry and could wreck CA wineries if not bought.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

What this is saying, is there was a time you could go and sell this man a bottle of piss, claim it was a bottle of Millard Fillmores bathtub gin and make a cool quarter million? lol. lol I say

edit: I suppose this makes wine collecting the dumbest thing ever in my esteem, because apparently you can just sell this poo poo and no one would know til they drank some and potentially ruined the value.

Its even dumber if you look at the research. Price alone can make wine taste better, blind taste tests show expensive wines don't really fare any better than much cheaper wines. Also there's no guarantees it was stored properly. Chinese wine fraudsters are also able to replicate a taste profile and make it indistinguishable.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Covids a parasite, a Chinese government conspiracy, and Fauci is a liar

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Midjack posted:

source your quotes

I did my own research obviously

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Room for slippers?

I appreciate this due to all the times I've arrived on board and my wonderful union brothers and sisters never bothered to take off their boots when leaving the engine room and tracked oil all over the stateroom.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Coasterphreak posted:

The other thing to consider in this conversation is that the size of ships is fundamentally limited by the ability to pass through the Panama Canal/Strait of Hormuz/Suez Canal. Nobody is going to pay millions of dollars for a ship that has to sail all the way to Antarctica and back to deliver a payload, it just doesn’t make sense.

Panamax is the only real constraint. I'm not sure we are near Suez limit and Hormuz isn't really a constraint.

Theres plenty of cargo that could go around the Cape without needing the shorter trip, and bigger ships are usually more efficient so that would help save on fuel costs and Suez transit fees. Once speed limits come in it will be interesting to see what happens.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

I think of the central valley table grape and nut farmers wife having a slightly racist conversation about her families hired help taking a quick detour into bitching about an extreme downdraft that happened and knocked a couple rows of trees over, costing $50k+. They are easily trying to save over $100k most likely considering trees take x years to mature. So 3 <10k work trucks doesn't even register.

Edit: Someone has dishonored their posting by reporting?????

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Weaponizing the cops against your posting enemies is just smart tactics.

For weak posters

Sway public opinion and crush your posting enemies and fascist posting police with good posts. Bring honor on your posting and shower bad posters with shame.

Ganbatte poster-san!

lightpole fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 15, 2023

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

pantslesswithwolves posted:

In case you missed it, Bethany Mandel, a conservative writer who wrote an entire book about the perils of ~bEiNg WoKe~ and went viral in the literal sense of the word for her, uh, strong feelings about masks, went on Briahna Joy Gray's show "Rising." Like five minutes into the interview, she absolutely crashed and burned when asked to define what "woke" means (again, remember that she just wrote a book on it) and absolutely flailed about while trying- and failing- to provide a definition.

https://twitter.com/vanguard_pod/status/1635749284355211264

Her response was to claim that she was thrown off guard by the host apparently making a mean remark about parents before the show, which again, had been going on for like five minutes before they got to this specific question.

https://twitter.com/bethanyshondark/status/1636023822158635010

Meanwhile, Ken Klippenstein, who's a pretty great journalist who writes for the Intercept and other outlets, has been retweeting a bunch of her more ridiculous tweets, including this humdinger about her mother
https://twitter.com/bethanyshondark/status/529078590663835651

It's just about the funniest thing to happen on Twitter since the last time Elon dunked on himself.

I've been doing this when anyone mentions something about woke. Its fun to watch them dance trying to come up with an objective definition.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Drag shows and clubs are one of the positives for living in the Bay Area. The Star Wars shows are awesome.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I honestly think he'd be toxic to voters outside Florida. Guess we'll be finding out.

I am hoping this is the case. Florida has some amazing legislation going through right now that should be anathema to independents

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Platystemon posted:

It seems that Bibi…

puts on sunglasses

has reaped the whirlwind.

Seriously reconsidering my no reporting posts policy

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Crab Dad posted:

Betard?
Bigger?
Bunt?

I’m lost here help me out.

Bruh

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

Body camera footage from Nashville is out, I'm linking it as it starts "clean" and there's lots of blurring. Showdown is at 5:40 and these cops should absolutely be commended, I could only scan quick but it sure looks like they weren't loving around:

https://twitter.com/SaraGonzalesTX/status/1640722840319143938?t=JZDdc7h_go4gritzIRd2KA&s=19

Definitely not an Uvalde.

Holy poo poo I am so happy I dont go to school anymore

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Crab Dad posted:

Do you work from home?

I work on a ship duh, much safer cause people usually aren't psychopaths until we leave port.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
The one thing in common with all school shootings is school so it's pretty obvious what the problem is here.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

2 weeks my rear end, try 2 months. Gonna get our moneys worth

Christmas lasts from the day after Thanksgiving till Feb 1 at a minimum and so does my scraggly tree

I chop down my tree but those are quick growth, its not like I'm cutting down some 1000 year old piece of history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

CainFortea posted:

Wait are people actually doing christmas tree farms in the desert?

I doubt it. A lot of trees get shipped. The Christmas tree runs to Honolulu are a pretty big time of the year since it takes a lot of reefer boxes.