Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

McNally posted:

Would anyone be interested in bombarding their congressfucks' offices with messages of support for a bill that would allow Gold Star spouses to keep their benefits after remarriage? A bill is about to be introduced for that purpose and I can provide info on it.

:yeah:

Midjack posted:

DC's Union Station is inexcusably lovely and hopefully they can get someone running it who will invest more than $5/ year in maintenance and improvements.

What's stupid is I remember Union Station being relatively fine up until 2014 or so. Then everything seemingly went to poo poo overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Midjack posted:

It was kind of poo poo as far back as 2007 but yeah, mid 2010s it just fell off a cliff.

Hot take, but it all went to poo poo once the book store left.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Midjack posted:

How long ago was that? The Suncoast there had a fairly eclectic selection and I picked up a bunch of weird stuff there whenever I had some time before a train.

I wanna say, 2012ish?

Mappo posted:

I've always enjoyed the DC Metro when I've gone up there. Partly because public transportation in my city is :lol:

The funny thing about DC's Metro is that it isn't perfect, and it certainly needs to be improved across many areas. But compared to other cities in the US, it's probably in the top three (NYC, BART, MBTA/Metro tie).

You also get a lot of transplants that whine about some of the stupidest poo poo with the Metro but make it out to be the worlds worst transit service (or just DC in general) and it's very much "Yes, welcome to living in a major city. What did you think it was going to be like?"

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 3, 2023

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CBJSprague24 posted:

He also admitted to all the financial crimes (in an attempt to deflect from the murders) so lol, he's doubly hosed.

There's an HBO Max documentary on the family my mom watched and said the whole family are shitlords.

I believe that as much as Casey Anthony's dad claiming he molested her.

In that case, though, it worked.

Wait, I thought Casey Anthony said her dad molested her to the surprise of her dad and the rest of her family? IIRC, her dad tried to leap on the grenade and say Kaylee died because she drowned in the pool or something.

Also what's the name of that documentary? I've only followed the case on the margins, but if there's a solid doc on it, sign me the gently caress up.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

The documentary is called Low Country. They were showing it on CNN for a while. https://www.hbomax.com/series/urn:hbo:series:GYztM8w3XD7mRsAEAAACv

As to the Casey Anthony thing, it’s pretty clear she’s a pathological liar if you’ve followed it long enough. Randomly, on if my friend’s uncles was one of the State Prosecutors that botched that trial. She relayed to me that they were shocked she walked.

Oh I have no doubts she's a pathological liar. I was just confused because I thought she and her defense team threw the Hail Mary of her dad molesting her out there, not her dad.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

God don't even get me started on WFH.

My previous employer, prior to the pandemic, had a fantastic WFH policy for over a decade until about 2019. Well before most companies even considered letting people WFH 1 day a week. People could WFH full time with zero issues. I would WFH 3 days a week, sometimes the entire week if the weather or metro was being stupid. Or if I just didn't feel like going in that week for whatever reason. It was fantastic, and combined with a low stress job, it made not getting paid well above the market rate in DC fine by me and most of my colleagues. We saw it as an unspoken rule that we were given that flexibility, and in exchange, we wouldn't raise hell about our pay not being as much as it would be for other DC based companies that paid more but required people to be in office 4-5 days a week. People would move a few hours away or states away from DC (with their managers approving it if it was far enough away) in order to buy houses, and just live somewhere where the cost of living was lower than DC.

About a year before the pandemic, a VP got the bright idea that WFH was stupid and stifling work. So over the course of about two months, we lost roughly 30% of our staff because people were told that they either had to start coming into the office 4 days a week, or take a severance package. They offered very pitiful relocation bonuses for those who had moved far enough away. The funniest part was, they were actually surprised by the number of people who said "Nah, gently caress that, and gently caress you!" So they began throwing money at people left and right to stay since they realized they hosed up with that approach, instead of just admitting maybe their idea was loving stupid and poorly thought out.

This lasted about a year before the pandemic hit, and even before that, it was a poo poo show. They thought the best compromise would be to tell people that they could just work core hours (10AM-2PM) in office, and work the remainder of their hours at home that day in addition to one day at home every week, plus no questions asked if you needed to WFH for whatever reason (repair guy coming out, kid sick, etc). So of course, people would come in, work those core hours, then go home and turn their email on and proceed to do nothing. Pretty much shooting productivity right in the balls. Once the pandemic happened, they like many other employees, dragged their feet for about a week before saying everyone should WFH indefinitely. They finally decided last spring to just stop renting a bunch of offices, and have most of us WFH FT. :psyduck:

Anyways, WFH can be loving amazing, but it's really dependent on your manager and your job. One of my bosses was an absolute delight to work for, and let me get my poo poo done in peace when I WFH. My most recent boss (who subsequently drove me to quit) micromanaged me constantly, would get pissy when I refused to work into the evening or on weekends to catch things up, and would constantly ping me for poo poo that I was not remotely responsible for, but would ghost for hours on end whenever you needed something from them. It loving sucked, mostly because the attitude with that boss and her boss was "Well you WFH, so you're always at work, therefore..." which, no, gently caress no. I would have rather gone into an office 5 days at that point than deal with that bullshit.

TLDR: WFH can be a great perk to have, but it's not the "I can gently caress off and do whatever I want/free childcare!" scenario a lot of people who don't WFH think it is. It's extremely dependent on how good of a manager/job you have.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

FrozenVent posted:

Change job. What the gently caress.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

When MBS finds out he's getting nothing, financial or otherwise, from this Twitter deal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=powBr8Hobbk

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Look I fully realize Musk is highly unlikely to ever face any kind of threat to his physical safety from MBS and the Saudi's, but it's still fun to imagine him being worried about it, because he's a loving moron.

So in conclusion, "Bonesaw is ready!"

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Graham pushing for an all new forever war.

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1633142112031064067?s=46&t=qkLqegFdEqINeFeUz_b8fw

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Sicario 2 wasn't AS good as the first one, but I still enjoyed it.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I really like in the 2nd when Not Mike Vinning (guy from Burn Notice, im bad with names) gets shot, and how angry he gets from it. That was shockingly realistic to some reactions I've seen.

Jeffrey Donovan. And yeah the way violence in those movies is portrayed is very :stare: but as you said, still within the realm of reality.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I can't stop laughing at how awkward this entire exchange is
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1634234996843003921

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Tiny Timbs posted:

“There are no libertarians in a bank run” is definitely the phrase to take away from this

I want to give whoever came up with it a beer, because god drat, it's a good one.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

ded posted:

How will trump putin wiggle out of this one???

With any luck, through an open window.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

gently caress, this loving sucks.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

We Own This City was very good.

Rage inducing too considering it's all true.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Carteret posted:

If I didn't go to the office 3 days a week I wouldn't see another human being. WFH is great if you live with your significant other but jesus I crave the human interaction even if its being in an open concept soul sucking job prison.

Yeah my ideal scenario is WFH 3 days a week and go into the office once or twice weather/commute permitting. When I had this schedule, I was extremely happy with my work life balance. WFH full time can suck rear end if you have a manager who didn't get the memo that WFH doesn't mean "yeah I can work at all hours!" I had one manager who really respected people's boundaries and work hours, and another who would act incredulous that you didn't want to do weekend hours to make up for a volunteer day or whatever.

Honestly I think if people want to WFH full time and can do so without issue, they should be able to. But it's nice having an office I can go into a couple of days a week to help break up the work week.

In DC at least, employers seem to have gotten the memo to at least be flexible and let people WFH a few days a week.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Here in DC, we have this annual Drag Race down 17th Street near Dupont Circle, and it's a treat to watch. Not only do these queens show up in awesome outfits, but THEY. ARE. loving. FAST. There is nothing cooler (or more intimidating if you're insecure) than watching some 6' tall drag queen booking it at like 15 mph while wearing heels. I don't know how long I could run 15 mph in running shoes but it wouldn't be nearly as long.

My old roommate used to go to this all the time. I should make sure to check it out before i move back to Canada.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1639586525825441792?t=On0iSSi71QmlNMGrsPwDqQ&s=19

gently caress out health care system, burn it down and put the executives on trial

Coooooool.

Love how my in-laws still hen peck my wife and I about moving to Canada. "But the health care isn't as good as ours, Ralph! Why would you move there?"

The kicker the other day was my MIL telling us hospice care is free in America.
"Uhh, no it's not. "
"Well my brother received it and his wife didn't pay a dime."
"How old was your brother?"
"75"
"It was free because he had medicare cover it. That doesn't happen for everyone else. My step-dad was 59, and that was not the case for him when he had lung cancer. When people say medicare for all, that's literally what they're advocating for."
"Oh."

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

bird food bathtub posted:

gently caress with the money though and things can actually change when the elite see numbers in their spreadsheet get smaller. That is just intolerable and gets the wheels turning.

Yeah this is where I'm at with it.

If it was just protests, I'd be just as cynical as everyone else. But when the money starts getting involved, shits gonna happen one way or another. What that is, I don't know.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Talked to a historian friend this morning who's also Israeli.

quote:

There hasn’t been a coordinated histadrut (main union) and employers strike since the British mandate LOLOL

lol, way to go Bibi.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

loving :lol:

And people really thought Disney was just gonna let DeSantis push them around with no blow back. lmao.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkZ5e94QnWk

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Can I get a hail satan

Hail Satan!