Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

rip @buttraptors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

also, critically, one of the middle dominoes was this shortly after anyone could get a blue check for $8

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

McNally posted:

Would anyone be interested in bombarding their congressfucks' offices with messages of support for a bill that would allow Gold Star spouses to keep their benefits after remarriage? A bill is about to be introduced for that purpose and I can provide info on it.

YES

I'll try to bring it up at the SCDP Convention next month

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ok but is his dick bigger than the Italians dicks is his dick the biggest in Chicago

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

he also said under oath he had been taking 20,000 mg of oxy a day, which, lol no

the state's case was pretty weak he probably would've walked if he hadn't succumbed to BDE and insisted on testifying

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 3, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

Their outword prpblem with such a program is its not means tested

paper bag is a means

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What in the goddamn gently caress

shoulda paid for the autopilot upgrade

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CainFortea posted:

Oh god, the whole bud-tender aesthetic around here is already insufferable enough. I'm not excited for horse-tender or whatever they gonna call it.

ha ha lemme tell you about the poppy pod tea thread when half of tcc was ordering dried flower arranging supplies from ebay by the 30lb case

e: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2545580

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 10, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

I was going to ask y'all just what the gently caress Silicon Valley Bank actually loving was, because everyone is speaking gibberish about it and none of it penetrates my brain.

But lol they're gone now, officially a failed bank taken over by the FDIC:

https://twitter.com/kgreifeld/status/1634234151783022606?t=H5yng8MG__44t8o02wPJhA&s=19

I think they were just a 17-branch bank that catered specifically to silicon valley venture capital tech bro speculation and now they're the first dead insured bank since the early pandemic. RIP whatever the gently caress that bank was!

They were doing pretty normal boring bank poo poo but for whatever reason almost all their depositors were SV startup companies, it's the bank all the startups used for their business banking accounts and they all piled into the exit at the same time.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the scale of withdrawals from SVB must have been enormous, they only took an 8.5% loss on the last round of bonds they sold and that was enough to kill the bank

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the backstop for most businesses is spreading it around to more than one bank and using banks that are huge and have a diverse customer base that won't all get crunched at the same time.

There needs to be a hard look at why all the startups were using the same bank, and nobody else was using that bank. was it just inertia because all the VCs that fund them used them so internal account transfers were faster/cheaper than interbank or what's the deal there, seriously. From some analyses earlier in the year by that twitter guy that called this in Jan. it looks like the banks assets aren't terrible but they had a bunch of money flow in all at once, and bought assets all at once, which happened to be the top of the market. Once it's all parted out I'd guess the unsecured deposits get ~85-90% back

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Leave posted:

Hi, I'm high and stupid; I live in the Midwest, does that bank failing affect me in any way?

What kind of far reaching effects could this have? Could it ripple across the country like that?

no

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

haha yall think we'll get to get old

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

some of those that work forces
eat a paste that's for horses

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CainFortea posted:

That's why extra floaty bits makes sense. Going through a canal, just put the containers on the floaty bits and tow them behind you. THen when you're through, put them back on the ship and use the extra floats to keep you upright! Bing bong so simple.

this has been tried exactly twice and it was such a ridiculous idea it was used as a major plot point in Red Storm Rising

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Idiocracy Dr. Strangelove was a documentary.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I don't have much experience with the drag community personally, but nearly everyone I've known involved in the scene has been fairly heavily into 1) physical fitness, 2) assertiveness and confidence, and 3) very sturdy high heels.

It's always amusing when some idiot assumes they'd be an easy target.

The very first question I asked this afternoon when someone told me proud boys were protesting a drag event in NYC was "how many survived?"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lmao

https://www.smh.com.au/business/banking-and-finance/before-collapse-of-silicon-valley-bank-the-fed-spotted-big-problems-20230320-p5ctgy.html

quote:

The Fed repeatedly warned the bank that it had problems, according to a person familiar with the matter.

In 2021, a Fed review of the growing bank found serious weaknesses in how it was handling key risks. Supervisors at the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, which oversaw Silicon Valley Bank, issued six citations. Those warnings, known as “matters requiring attention” and “matters requiring immediate attention,” flagged that the firm was doing a bad job of ensuring that it would have enough easy-to-tap cash on hand in the event of trouble.

But the bank did not fix its vulnerabilities. By July 2022, Silicon Valley Bank was in a full supervisory review — getting a more careful look — and was ultimately rated deficient for governance and controls. It was placed under a set of restrictions that prevented it from growing through acquisitions. Last autumn, staff members from the San Francisco Fed met with senior leaders at the firm to talk about their ability to gain access to enough cash in a crisis and possible exposure to losses as interest rates rose.

It became clear to the Fed that the firm was using bad models to determine how its business would fare as the central bank raised rates: Its leaders were assuming that higher interest revenue would substantially help their financial situation as rates went up, but that was out of step with reality....

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the true issue is that chinese companies can tell the us government to pound sand

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Even Michael Bloomberg wrote an editorial opposing the judicial changes. That’s like Elliot saying Queen Deidranna has gone too far.

Multiple former mossad chiefs have called the plan too authoritarian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I laid out of work sick today and spent it all binging the first two seasons of Silicon Valley and holy gently caress is that poo poo a documentary of real events that happened in real time