Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

orange juche posted:

AI is going to be the death of all of us, seriously AI deepfake poo poo is going to ruin everything forever because you will never be sure what someone actually said unless you were there when it was said.

Yes, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLlRfC1BUOQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

pantslesswithwolves posted:

When I put policies in place, I put them in with a God-like approach to them. That's who I am.

Now that's a Freudian slip!

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

I get to say it! I get to say it!

WhO's GoNnA pAy FoR iT?!?!

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

I just fail to see how legalizing drugs would make for a friendlier nicer cartel. It just ends up rewarding them for waiting us out. The only thing I could see it is potentially a better outcome than the current system. But that's not even a guarantee. I don't even care about the legalizing drugs part I just don't like the idea of giving the keys to the cartels. What timescale would this even be looking at? For them to forego violence and human trafficking, etc...

Like others have said cartels have gone legit in other ways. Don't they basically run the avocado industry? I thought I read that years ago. Honestly not sure which is a bigger industry, avocados vs illegal drugs. It might not even be close for all I know. Has there been any noticeable shift towards more consumer specific corporate style enterprises versus what we obviously don't want? Have they shown any desire to want to go legit and just take advantage of capitalism vs people?

It's funny, I went to Yuma, AZ for a work trip this year and I asked the people I was working with about going across the border. He said they get monthly briefings on what has been going on but there are certain warnings like don't drive a nice car down there and try to stay in groups. Just some thoughts, if I'm wrong see my name.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Grip it and rip it posted:

Because legalization means that other recreational drug suppliers can compete and having a huge hitsquad of cartel murdermen becomes a legal liabitily. Nabisco doesn't firebomb the trucks of General Mills because they'd be sued if they did so. Also the price of drugs would drop substantially and Cartels wouldn't be raking in money hand over fist.

They may have inroads into other industries but their bread and butter is running drugs. Guns and people are natural synergies to the drug game, and some portion of the cartel might break off to do that full time, but that is not nearly the same size market as moving cocaine/meth/heroin/fent through the southern border.

If drugs are legalized you could get your bespoke cocaine made in the USA by local purveyors from your neighborhood drug retailer. Those sellers would be protected by the police and the cartel wouldn't be able to use affiliate gangs to control the trade in a given area. It would 100% completely reshape the way in which drugs are manufactured, sold, and consumed. Beyond the issues of consumption the major beneficiaries would likely be corporate america

If weed ever gets fully legalized I would like to see how the industry responds. It won't solve a lot of problems but even if it causes a blip on the cartels it shows they are fallible. I still feel like it rewards them but perhaps it is the best lovely option.

Between cartel and Sicario chat I really want to play GR Wildlands again. Baby makes three!

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Someone's never seen A Boy and His Dog before.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Maybe if Jimmy John wasn’t so concerned about having their kitchen staff be 45% women, 1 black, 1 LGBTQ+ and two veterans then they’d stop dumping sugar all over my sandwiches and i wouldn’t have diabetes.

Found the two veterans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtUqpOTbn4g&t=214s

Don't know why it was demonizing sandwiches, other than it is a staple of the :911: diet. The entire argument it's making could be applied to the entirety of the Standard American Diet (SAD, yes that's actually the acronym used). I have largely moved away from the wonderbread/sponge cake to bakery breads when I need it. But I also live around a lot of Italian bakeries so it would be a crime not to buy from them. The mob would come after me. I do love smoked meats though so bring on that butt cancer I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WJ7ofr1PzA

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Can I get a hail satan