Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pmchem posted:

whoa hold on that’s a pretty big accusation and certainly not something I’d want to perpetuate. to check that fact I had to google a bit, and I found this seemingly unbiased recent paper while googling on phone:

https://pubs.aeaweb.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1257/jep.36.1.151

look like at the chart in figure 2B. rates are down across all groups. do we agree on that?

It looks to me like the biggest change is women with only a high school education are having less kids. College educated women seem to be right where they were before.

The biggest drops are with younger people. Birth rates have gone up for people in their 30s and 40s. It’s most likely a wealth effect than anything else. Kids are loving expensive. One of my single women friends is struggling to find a place to buy or rent this year because $42k/yr isn’t enough to do it alone let alone having a kid.

Rich old people complaining about not enough babies is the result of them vacuuming up all of the wealth. Of course millennials and gen z aren’t having a ton of kids until their 30s/40s. We can’t afford it! More than four percent of all millennial wealth resides in Mark Zuckerberg’s pocket. If we had remotely the same amount of money as even gen-x let alone boomers, people would have more kids.

My gf and I have discussed children, but it’s not something we can even dream to afford til I get a job after graduation in 3.5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also, social security, which has plenty of money for the next fifty years or so, would have plenty of money if there wasn’t an abysmally low cap on the tax. Cuts to social security are so that already low rear end tax cap of ~$11k in annual taxes paid can be even lower for the dragons hoarding all of the wealth.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Millennials are the single largest generation in the USA yet we have a home ownership rate of 17% because they’ve all been priced at exorbitant rates and by the time most of us could afford them, interest rates are so high it’s basically impossible to finance a home and afford.

Mortgage rates are north of 7% at the moment. You want millennials and gen-z to have more kids? They need a lot more money.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Coasterphreak posted:

Some business school PhD student will write a thesis on it.

I resemble that remark. Everyone generally disagreed with me when I told them he would be forced to buy at $54.20. Most people have came around on him being a loving moron, though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I often wonder what kind of poster Elon would be if he were a goon. I know he fancies himself a Lowtax type, but even though he turned out to be an enormous piece of poo poo whose last decision was the right one, you have to admit that 1999 Lowtax had the right blend of a certain wit, charisma and circumstance that a community could coalesce around and Musk has…none of that. His tweets are like the epitome of lovely White Noise poster who is so intolerable that not only does he get run out of FYAD, but even BYOB finds him too unchill to post.

I’m basically watching Twitter waiting for something like this to happen but with Rhodesian Lowtax shrieking NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP GRIMES

https://youtu.be/9OYZ04mCGCo

Ghost Recon-ing intensifies

yospos canon is that apartheid clyde formerly posted under the name stymie who was one of the most tedious trolls who always acted like he was some sort of laborer til someone called him out as a vc or some kind of c-level, he melted down, and stopped posting after getting banned for comparing himself to a rape victim.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The circumstances that led to this aren’t really something that other banks would do. SVB had a client base with a near perfect correlation in risk/behavior coupled with some really stupid use of deposits that they would not have been able to do if they hadn’t led the charge to lobby Trump to get rid of Dodd-Frank.

Had they diversified anything, they’d be fine. Instead they locked themselves into things that pay basically nothing for ten years. When they had to sell a little bit of these things at a substantial loss to cover liquidity, it prompted a bank run. Subsequent attempts to satisfy withdrawals meant selling their reserve bonds at greater discounts magnifying their problem.

I believe they were still in the black on the books at the time the FDIC took over, so some bank will probably step in to take over their assets and liabilities.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Again, SVB would not have been in the position they were in but for the Dodd-Frank repeal they specifically lobbied for.

They would have been required to maintain more cash on hand and would have easily handled the bank run. However, they did not hedge for this risk at all because the money faucet surely won’t ever turn off!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

In less depressing current events, the tesla semis bought by pepsi are basically useless, can only tow loads of chips for a fraction of the claimed mileage, and there have been eight instances already of the trucks requiring a tow.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I wonder what the WSJ thinks is the reason SVB went down...

https://twitter.com/bcmerchant/status/1635331043216736256

...oh.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

...is he saying Floridians don't have values like attending church or earning their keep? They don't of course, but that sure sounds like he's insulting the state he's governor of.

He's pandering directly to the first primary states knowing that Florida is a lock for him.

The man and his policies are actively despised by 3/4 of Floridians but they still will vote R over D 60-40.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Is there a brief primer to the current situation with Bibi? From what I understand, he's been criminally charged with or is being investigated for corruption and was put in as prime minister again to stall said charges and is in the process of stacking the judiciary with sycophants that will close out said investigation?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CFTC is actually doing something and sued Binance.

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1640373566322491393

Click through for more about all the crimes they were doing to get one of the most ineffective/apathetic regulatory agency to actually act.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ASAPI posted:

They do this every session.

Some of the "statement" bills are allowed to go further than others, but they are all stopped. Besides, it would be difficult for Abbott to attempt a run for the White House if his state tried to succeed.

I do think Texas is trying to succeed. They’re successful at a lot of things.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

No, you see, he got a settlement while as governor he outlawed punitive damages. Nevermind that his settlement was only as large as it was due to the threat of punitive damages.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Brunch?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McNally posted:

I don't think DeSantis has jurisdiction over Disneyland

Well, yeah. Disneyland is in California.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

When stopped at the border and questioned about her phone number and address being in a drug smugggler's phone, she acted clueless and then was let to continue on to her vacation in Mexico. When she returned she blamed it on her housekeeper saying that she was probably at fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soylent Pudding posted:

In general summary judgement is "if we interpret all the alleged facts most favorably for the other party, they still lose as a matter of law." Its not super common for the entire case to be decided by one. It's basically a way to whittle down the issues into what's a question of law, what's a question of fact, and resolve the questions of law before dealing with the outstanding questions of fact.

This is close but not exactly right. The big thing for summary is that there is no dispute of material fact and the issue can be decided as a matter of law. The first prong is why Dominion did not win on actual malice against both Fox Co. and Fox News and with the publishing portion for Fox Co.

Fox and Fox News were able to present different material facts on these topics, and a jury must decide who is correct when there are disputes of that nature.