Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
The first names are also usually a nickname

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Boco_T posted:

Most Thai fighters' ring names are the name of their fight team as the last name. Tded99 is one of the more successful teams in Thailand.
https://www.siamfightmag.com/en/the-camp-teeded-99/

Cool thanks!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FishBowlRobot posted:

Cody McKenzie walked so Pereira could run

This makes me wonder: how long until fighters are obligated to pay for their fight shorts and gloves for their fights

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Boco_T posted:

Most Thai fighters' ring names are the name of their fight team as the last name. Tded99 is one of the more successful teams in Thailand.
https://www.siamfightmag.com/en/the-camp-teeded-99/

I've always loved to see Knockout P Freshmart in the Ring's boxing rankings.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

A bunch of really good fights got announced, like Ilia Topuria/Josh Emmett, Matt Schnell/David Dvorak and the return of Eryk Anders, but I don't want to talk about that, I want to talk about Joe Rogan being dumb as poo poo.

quote:

“I don’t even know if we should stop hitting people in the back of the head. It doesn’t seem to make any sense to me. Because a lot of knockouts like high kicks, they wrap around the back of the shoulder and they go right to the back of your head, and it’s legal. The guy gets KOd,” Rogan told Masvidal in a recent episode of his podcast.

Rabbit punching, as it is colloquially known, is illegal across the board in all combat sports due to the high injury risk it entails, with possible serious and irreparable damage to the brain stem, spinal cord and cervical vertebrae.

The most prominent example is the case of 30-year-old Puerto Rican boxer Prichard Colón, who suffered a career-ending injury after taking punches to the back of the head during his fight with Terrel Williams in 2015. Colón fell into a coma and has reportedly been in a vegetative state for years.

But for Rogan, rabbit punching should be acceptable since it was practiced during MMA’s early days.

“Eddie Bravo’s talked about this all the time. In the old days of MMA, when a guy got someone’s back, they would just drop elbows down on his head. Back of the head. If you have the back and the head is there, all this punching just to the side is not realistic.”

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I'm overwhelmed now that ONE is putting on weekly shows so I've been skipping a lot of them. It's like wrestling all over again.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CarlCX posted:

but I don't want to talk about that, I want to talk about Joe Rogan being dumb as poo poo.
Tragedy is when I have to get a vaccine.
Comedy is when you get punched in the medulla and die.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CarlCX posted:

A bunch of really good fights got announced, like Ilia Topuria/Josh Emmett, Matt Schnell/David Dvorak and the return of Eryk Anders, but I don't want to talk about that, I want to talk about Joe Rogan being dumb as poo poo.

The man is absolutely clapped out. What the gently caress lol how is allowing strikes to the brain stem even remotely arguable

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Unperson_47 posted:

I'm overwhelmed now that ONE is putting on weekly shows so I've been skipping a lot of them. It's like wrestling all over again.
I definitely understand that, because they don't promote them at all.

BUT in a "percentage of fights that are very good+" it is the best show worth your time more than UFC Apex or all of Bellator or whatever.

Also not to plug my own posts too hard but if you sign up for my Substack for free you'll get an email every Friday afternoon that tells you which of the fights are best to watch, that will at least cut down the amount of time investment required.
https://bocot.substack.com/

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

CarlCX posted:

lol at comparing the foot indecently hitting the back of the head during a head kick to targeted strikes to the back of the head of a grounded opponent

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

The man is absolutely clapped out. What the gently caress lol how is allowing strikes to the brain stem even remotely arguable

When you've spent thousands of hours talking publicly, eventually, you say every possible combination of words including the very, very dumb ones. Joe Rogan passed that point and kept going some time ago.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

When you've spent thousands of hours talking publicly, eventually, you say every possible combination of words including the very, very dumb ones. Joe Rogan passed that point and kept going some time ago.

This makes sense. When your job is talking then literally everything must be discussed and monetised. Eugenics? Racism? Literal death strikes? Rogan will be a contrarian and profit.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ringo Roadagain posted:

lol at comparing the foot indecently hitting the back of the head during a head kick to targeted strikes to the back of the head of a grounded opponent

Indecent feet you say? This isn’t that sort of website anymore

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
This is from a while ago but whoever brought up Sexyama (Choo Sung-hoon) being in Physical: 100 show, thank you! I really enjoyed watching that show. He did pretty well too! It's was really interesting to see how the other competitors treated him with such reverence.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

To think this guy was a huge influence in first helping me get into MMA, and now I'd rather never hear him speak on anything again

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Indecent feet you say? This isn’t that sort of website anymore

I enjoyed that autocorrect as well

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

CarlCX posted:

I think if we want to make UFC fights less safe and more like real fights instead of legalizing blows to the back of the head (which is a boring idea and would only result in more fighters getting paralyzed and retiring in their prime or whatever) they should instead increase the realism by filling the octagon with furniture and dinnerware and a random assortment of strangers who can join the action or not as they see fit.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

delightful posted:

This is from a while ago but whoever brought up Sexyama (Choo Sung-hoon) being in Physical: 100 show, thank you! I really enjoyed watching that show. He did pretty well too! It's was really interesting to see how the other competitors treated him with such reverence.

I think its because he's been a notable star in Korean celebrity circuits for a while. If I remember, his wife is a big name model in Japan as well as all the stuff he did with his daughter on TV for like the past 15 years or so.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lucasar posted:

I think if we want to make UFC fights less safe and more like real fights instead of legalizing blows to the back of the head (which is a boring idea and would only result in more fighters getting paralyzed and retiring in their prime or whatever) they should instead increase the realism by filling the octagon with furniture and dinnerware and a random assortment of strangers who can join the action or not as they see fit.

just give the fighters weapons and have them fight to the death. that's how it was back in the day!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mekchu posted:

just give the fighters weapons and have them fight to the death. that's how it was back in the day!
Book fighters against their own bad tattoos. Start with Conor against a gorilla with a live grenade.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Finally, a winnable match for Alan Belcher

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bluedeanie posted:

Finally, a winnable match for Alan Belcher
So many fighters with jacked portrait tattoos will have to throw down against their entire family as portrayed in Jordan Peele’s Us.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mekchu posted:

Actually the Colby Covington gladiator always wins, no matter what.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Is there a rough timeframe on when the next TUF season would start?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Hollandia posted:

Is there a rough timeframe on when the next TUF season would start?

It's slated to air from May 30th-August 15th.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Boco_T posted:

ONE Friday Fights 11 - 2022-03-31
Lumpinee Boxing Stadium, Bangkok, Thailand

Airs starting at 8:30 AM ET on ONE's Youtube channel

Week 11 of the ONE Lumpinee series features the first “rematch of a previous main event.” And rightfully so, as the first battle between Superball and Kongklai was in the top 5 best fights in the series to-date.

You can see that fight here, and I rewatched it in anticipation of today’s show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIu39nHxP0o&t=12754 (Timestamp 3:32:34)

Round one was fairly close, but Superball had a few more consequential blows as well as a better performance at clinch range. Superball knocked Kongklai down with a head kick early in round 2, though Kongklai protested that the momentum of Superball’s leg knocked him over rather than damage from the kick itself. Kongklai then almost immediately knocked Superball down with a right hook. Kongklai ended up landing a few more damaging strikes in the remainder of the round, which was one of the most exciting rounds of the year in any sport. In round 3 saw Superball crashing into the clinch repeatedly as both fighters were exhausted, but it didn’t look like Superball landed that many solid strikes compared to the number of punches and elbows Kongklai squeezed in. To my uniformed eyes, I would have scored it 2-1 for Kongklai. The judges, however, gave the unanimous decision to Superball. Still, it was a tremendous, legendary ONE Lumpinee fight, and both fighters earned the post-fight bonus, leading to tonight’s main event rematch.

Part 1

Aleksandra Savicheva (2-0) vs. Anelya Toktogonova (2-1) (MMA 125)
Allisson Barbosa (20-8) vs. Ali Kadbullah (7-1-1) (MMA 170)
Tatsuya Ando (13-3-1) vs. Ali Motamed (7-5) (MMA 145)
Yu Yau Pui vs. Devina Martin (MT 115)
Yodkaikaew vs. Angelos Giakoumis (MT 135)
Tyson Harrison vs. Rambo (MT 145)

Part 2

Namphongnoi vs. Songfangkhong (MT 132)
Petsommai vs. Olaylek (MT 120)
Pongsiri vs. Pettong (MT 125)
Komawut vs. Avatar (MT 145)
Apiwat vs. Yodkhunsuk (MT 130)
Superball (71-19) vs. Kongklai (75-16) (MT 138)

Starts in 20 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGn7a3W5Jkk

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Well that was quick

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Cool loving kick lol

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't get how he survive that kick

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

thank you for delivering again ONE

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

These fights rule

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Tyson Harrison vs. Rambo was a banger, holy poo poo.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Tyson Harrison vs. Rambo was a banger, holy poo poo.

This is the first time I've seen a Muay Thai fight. This is loving awesome.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Flaskraven posted:

This is the first time I've seen a Muay Thai fight. This is loving awesome.

Welcome to Muay Thai, where the prevailing ethos is that we trade until the bell and both believe the other person's body will shut down first.

Edit: Oh hell yeah, Rambo gets the bonus too. That's awesome.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Woah

Oh the 350k baht bonus is about $10k usd, less than I thought.

Brut fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 31, 2023

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Avatar and Komawut are crazy. Probably over 80 elbows thrown in this fight.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
This card has been bangers all around. Holy gently caress

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's the breakdown of Friday Fights for those seeing the posts here and not wanting to miss out. Ando/Motamed earns the distinction of being "the first good MMA fight in the history of ONE Friday Fights" and Tyson Harrison vs. Rambo is a Fight of the Year candidate that you should go out of your way to see.

The show is located here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGn7a3W5Jkk
Fights highlighted in bold were ones that I found particularly entertaining.

Part 1

Aleksandra Savicheva (2-0) vs. Anelya Toktogonova (2-1) (MMA 125) 10:22
Alisson Barbosa (20-8) vs. Ali Kabdulla (7-1-1) (MMA 170) 22:57
Tatsuya Ando (13-3-1) vs. Ali Motamed (7-5) (MMA 145) 49:10
Yu Yau Pui (23-2) vs. Devina Martin (11-5) (MT 115) 1:09:47
Yodkaikaew (60-25) vs. Angelos Giakoumis (24-5) (MT 135) 1:32:08
Tyson Harrison (22-9) vs. Rambo (70-18) (MT 145) 1:56:22

Part 2

Namphongnoi (71-40) vs. Songfangkhong (56-18) (MT 132) 2:23:52
Petsommai (80-15) vs. Olaylek (85-44) (MT 120) 2:42:13
Pongsiri (40-20) vs. Pettong (110-40) (MT 125) 3:01:09
Komawut (47-12) vs. Avatar (95-41) (MT 145) 3:13:03
Apiwat (98-25) vs. E.T. (80-38) (MT 130) 3:33:03
Superball (71-19) vs. Kongklai (75-16) (MT 138) 3:49:51

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Bellator, PFL both this weekend, but only Fight Circus has the honesty to declare their fights will be awkward slopfests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CarlCX posted:

why doesn't he just skip right to saying they should knife fight because on the streets people have knives and they're going to end the fight way quicker than a punch jamie bring that up