Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I think we're overlooking Jones' very intentional cheating during fights particularly when he's losing at range.

I would not be at all surprised to see some nasty eye poking, which can completely change a fight and although often warned on is rarely penalised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I kinda have a feeling in my waters that Jones is going to clinch and toss him and elbow a hole in his face before the end of the 2nd.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think the most likely scenario is kind of tepid kickboxing match that gane wins like 49-46. jones hasn't wrestled anyone since the second gustafsson fight iirc, his striking has looked worse in every fight and he doesn't pursue the clinch at all anymore.

but it's jon jones so he'll be physically indestructible and he'll probably have great cardio too, even with a belly, so i really doubt gane will be able to finish him unless it's become a real physical mismatch due to age and weight.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blue footed boobie posted:

What is even the appeal of the apex for the UFC? You would think they want to make money from the gates at arenas.

I guess they just want to pump out shittier and shittier events that no one will go to so they can bleed the ESPN contract for everything it’s worth.

The point of the APEX is so they can run events and cut out the middle man in the form of the arena who takes a cut. It also lets them double it as a TUF stage which they were already doing but instead of a lovely warehouse in Las Vegas its now a prettier looking warehouse in Las Vegas.

There was indications they were also going to use APEX to rent it out for smaller events (eg. LFA etc.) who wanted to do an event in Vegas but not pay the high prices for the different arenas. There was an article in early 2022 that said the idea is they're gonna add food facilities/etc. so basically at this point UFC Apex is its own regional fairgrounds building for events.

In short, its just a way for them to cut corners and pocket more money than they're spending and if they're doing DWCS, TUF, and UFC events there with people on shittier and shittier pay rates they don't have to worry about gate revenue.

Especially since their deal with ESPN requires X number events per year and to keep that they can't just do events all over the world anymore and still be profitable in that money making scheme.

Brut posted:

They want to make a lot of money per event with huge sold out crowds, but a lot of places still have (or at least had last year) various covid regulations preventing that or even market research showing that they won't sell out (cuz people don't wanna risk covid just to watch Fight Night: Who vs Huh), so they don't want to deal with those places.

They built the APEX before COVID. HTH

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 3, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

For covid they were going to build FIGHT ISLAND. Which I think bodog already had a weird version of?

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Morning fights with another banger. Both guys extremely game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would like to order one Jon Jones getting knocked the gently caress out for this weekend

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Awesome knockout lol

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah, ONE Friday Fights is on its 3rd week in a row of a FOTYC-level fight.

Also, this happened, the best possible outcome of "making a really lovely heavyweight MMA fight in Lumpinee"
https://twitter.com/ONEChampionship/status/1631662617046528002

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Boco_T posted:

Yeah, ONE Friday Fights is on its 3rd week in a row of a FOTYC-level fight.

Also, this happened, the best possible outcome of "making a really lovely heavyweight MMA fight in Lumpinee"
https://twitter.com/ONEChampionship/status/1631662617046528002

I should probably put fighter names in my posts, but this is the one that got a lol out of me.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

that was an unbelievably good card

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I would like to order one Jon Jones getting knocked the gently caress out for this weekend

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Still waiting for a few more people at the weighins including both main event fighters but Gane typically weighs in at 247~ and I'm assuming Jones also can't possibly miss weight, so really the wait is for Neal, Araujo, Garry, Martinez and Blackshear. 124.5 for both co-main fighters.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The must-see fight from this week's show is
Yodphupa Wimainair (60-9) vs. Ilyas Musaev (9-0) (MT 145)
which you can skip directly to here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrAKs62JZO4&t=6095s (Timestamp 1:41:35)

But of course the rest of the show was as good as usual.
https://bocot.substack.com/p/one-friday-fights-7-2022-03-03

Here's another KO of the Year candidate:
https://twitter.com/ONEChampionship/status/1631701749672079360

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Brut posted:

Still waiting for a few more people at the weighins including both main event fighters but Gane typically weighs in at 247~ and I'm assuming Jones also can't possibly miss weight, so really the wait is for Neal, Araujo, Garry, Martinez and Blackshear. 124.5 for both co-main fighters.

tell the man what he's won
https://twitter.com/mmafighting/status/1631728281799073817

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CarlCX posted:

tell the man what he's won

Pulled out of this same fight in January and now misses weight by 4 lbs? ouch. Hopefully this doesn't give him too much of an advantage Rakhmonov but I suspect he'll actually just gas quick.

Looks like Jones came in at 248, right around the same weight as Gane, I'd be really surprised if he was 260+.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Did he weigh in with a gun in his pants?

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/mmafighting/status/1631724948573102091

mewse
May 2, 2006

Chael is speculating that Jones is injured based on him doing pool exercises in footage from Embedded

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Jones is about the same weight as Gane, but Gane looks WAY more muscular.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Jones is about the same weight as Gane, but Gane looks WAY more muscular.

Gane has a weirdly low density. He looked like he could lift way more weights than Ngannou, but Ngannou was like 15 pounds heavier than him

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Writing off Jon Jones strength against anyone is folly. He's literally been stronger where and when it counts than everyone he's fought and the worst place to fight Jones is at his kicking range where he's just going to gently caress up your legs and interupt your timing.

Yeah he's a cheat, yeah he's a piece of poo poo, but he's also the greatest mixed martial artist above 185 in history.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Jones is going to eat his first-ever calf kick and immediately retire.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

BlindSite posted:

Writing off Jon Jones strength against anyone is folly. He's literally been stronger where and when it counts than everyone he's fought and the worst place to fight Jones is at his kicking range where he's just going to gently caress up your legs and interupt your timing.

Yeah he's a cheat, yeah he's a piece of poo poo, but he's also the greatest mixed martial artist above 185 in history.

I agree with this post unconditionally. I also have been in a coma since 2015 and only just awoke

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

BlindSite posted:

Allow me to counterpoint with a brief powerpoint presentation about the last time Jon fought someone who forced him to work at range

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Allow me to counterpoint with a brief powerpoint presentation about the last time Jon fought someone who forced him to work at range

lmao

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Considering the strong rumour mill is Cyril Gane has a broken hand Jonny gonna not have to worry about range.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Lid posted:

Considering the strong rumour mill is Cyril Gane has a broken hand Jonny gonna not have to worry about range.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/mma/jon-jones-ciryl-gane-fight-29360692

It's fiiiiiine he's fiiiiiiiine hear how fiiiiiiiine he is

https://twitter.com/BloodyElbow/status/1631469727707963392?t=NtNnwgt3BHBC_R6xoHqLeQ&s=19

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Brian Sutterer did a breakdown on the injury and isn't really worried about it.
Seems like a typically surgery scare/bruising. Just that it's on the hand it looks more pronounced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qJZILV-Fuk

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I fully expect Jon to win a boring decision and then crash a car into a strip club in like 3 weeks time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I fully expect Jon to win a boring decision and then crash a car into a strip club in like 3 weeks time.

Look at this guy crediting Jones with such enormous restraint.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Look at this guy crediting Jones with such enormous restraint.

Jones is going to set the record for felonies and then crash into a strip club in a white Bronco.

Where can I bet on that?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://twitter.com/MMAJunkie/status/1631821357683212288

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I remember when Gyllenhaal got in really good shape for Prince of Persia and complained about the process and how he'd never do anything like that again. They must have backed the money truck up to his front door.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i look forward to the gyllenhal film. i was so stoked that warrior turned out as well as it did. i seriously didn't think i'd ever see decent to good mma movie again.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Jones is going to set the record for felonies and then crash into a strip club in a white Bronco.

Where can I bet on that?
how can I prop bet this to involve recently freed man Billy McFarland?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

TheKingslayer posted:

I remember when Gyllenhaal got in really good shape for Prince of Persia and complained about the process and how he'd never do anything like that again. They must have backed the money truck up to his front door.

Look at the poster for Southpaw

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Lid posted:

Look at the poster for Southpaw

Wow I didn't even know this movie existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I assume that Ronda Rousey is still playing the lead in the Roadhouse remake, hosed up that she's gonna fight Jake Gyllenhal!