Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1631729412550053888

Congratulations to Brian Ortega for passing his drug tests lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
where’s my prize for not cheating

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Dana's posture and constant chewing remind me of the guy I saw buying drugs outside of my apartment building this week lol

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Bones looks fat. Dana’s got a lot riding on that gut.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

how can I prop bet this to involve recently freed man Billy McFarland?

Everyone needs their AC I guess.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

So I guess they burned all the copies of the Ronda Rousey Road House after it was discovered she couldn't act?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Marching Powder posted:

i seriously didn't think i'd ever see decent to good mma movie again.

If it's a proper remake of Roadhouse, it won't really be an "MMA movie". This would be backstory for the main character, which would line-up with him being on a card in 2018. I don't understand why Roadhouse needs a remake: it sort of made sense as a gender switch with Ronda in the lead (until Hollywood discovered that her acting skill was slightly worse than her striking defence) but otherwise the original holds up well enough except for maybe having Jeff Healey as the house band which was just such a bad decision that maybe it being bad was the point.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

InfiniteZero posted:

I don't understand why Roadhouse needs a remake

Half of pop culture these days is just banking on nostalgia

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Last week's Krush fights got posted and this one is fight of the year candidate level:
Semi-Final: Tomoya Yokoyama (13-4, 7 KO) vs. Phetsamui Shimura (186-42-6, 43 KO) (132) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcjkZV5uBqU

Here's my post where you can find links to the rest of the fights on the really good show:
https://bocot.substack.com/p/tape-delay-kickboxing-13-krush146

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Carl excellent writeup again brother!

Do you post these on somewhere else? I'd like to be able to point casuals in your direction for fight writeups.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Do you post these on somewhere else? I'd like to be able to point casuals in your direction for fight writeups.

carlcx.substack.com

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Yup, it's in the OP. https://carlcx.substack.com/

However I'll also say that you should totally point casuals to this thread, PSP isn't behind paywall so they can read without making an account. (Buy them an account! :getin:)

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
thank you

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/1631849812055445504

Dana is so dumb and I hate him

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Lmao just lighting millions of dollars on fire because your best asset dared to ask for healthcare

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Based on previous Dana absolute statements: Congratulations Mr. Ngannou on your new UFC contract

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Someone supercut this with Randy and half a dozen fighters I can't remember right now.

I think the only ban he's ever stuck to was Paul Daley.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Shumagorath posted:

Someone supercut this with Randy and half a dozen fighters I can't remember right now.

I think the only ban he's ever stuck to was Paul Daley.

what's his face from tuf? t money? something like that?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

what's his face from tuf? t money? something like that?

Jesse Taylor

e: who, :ortiz:, was re-hired and promptly failed a drug test

mewse fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 4, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
It's a little hard to tell from context how much of what he's saying is "I won't let him fight in the UFC" and how much is "We've failed negotiations with him for years, it's realistically never gonna happen". Now obviously the reason for the failed negotiations is probably his own greed and desire to underpay everyone etc, but like if Ngannou suddenly decides he wants to fight for the same amount he was being paid before, I have a feeling Dana won't say no.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Brut posted:

It's a little hard to tell from context how much of what he's saying is "I won't let him fight in the UFC" and how much is "We've failed negotiations with him for years, it's realistically never gonna happen". Now obviously the reason for the failed negotiations is probably his own greed and desire to underpay everyone etc, but like if Ngannou suddenly decides he wants to fight for the same amount he was being paid before, I have a feeling Dana won't say no.
That plus the retirement clause is how they starved Randy out for years. Back then you could at least make the argument that co-promoting with M-1 / Vadim Finkelstein in order to get Fedor in the cage would have been a terrible decision for the UFC, and Dana was likely still smarting from that time he let Chuck go to Pride and get trashed by Rampage (and nearly before that by desiccated Overeem). Ngannou's situation is 150% about keeping a boot on fighter pay after letting Conor get out of hand. Their biggest nightmare is someone who gets that amount of star power, performs consistently, and is too smart to self-immolate.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
This is where the exclusivity deals with Reebok and Venum kind of show how shortsighted they are. If fighters could court their own deals with sponsors, UFC would merely need to stay the biggest MMA show in town and that exposure + star power would drive up sponsorship money for the fighters without costing UFC a thing. UFC would even benefit from this if you had somebody like Ngannou appearing in a Gatorade commercial or whatever it would work around to being a low-key UFC commercial that UFC got for free.

Naturally the UFC should also be paying more.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Lucasar posted:

This is where the exclusivity deals with Reebok and Venum kind of show how shortsighted they are. If fighters could court their own deals with sponsors, UFC would merely need to stay the biggest MMA show in town and that exposure + star power would drive up sponsorship money for the fighters without costing UFC a thing. UFC would even benefit from this if you had somebody like Ngannou appearing in a Gatorade commercial or whatever it would work around to being a low-key UFC commercial that UFC got for free.

Naturally the UFC should also be paying more.

The problem is it's not really about the money, the money is just the most visible symptom of the UFC's struggle to retain absolute control of its fighters. What Ngannou was asking for was basically what Conor McGregor got--the right to his own sponsorships and the ability to pursue a boxing superfight--and the UFC almost certainly made more money directly from Conor McGregor than any other fighter in their history. But they also had to give him concessions, negotiate with his people, deal with his retirement threats and keep him placated, because Conor McGregor had actual, honest to god leverage and was willing to use it. The UFC would've gotten a big-rear end payday just getting their cut of the Francis Ngannou/Tyson Fury superfight, but they don't care about that. They need the extra few million dollars less than they need to discourage fighters from thinking they have leverage.

Sponsorships were the most basic form of leverage every fighter had. The more sponsorship money you got, the less you needed the UFC. Yeah, you would obviously prefer to stay, your sponsorships would be worth a lot less without them, but you weren't solely dependent on the UFC's penny-pay for your future. Getting rid of that was the first step on the road to a Dana White's Contender Series roster.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

IIRC, they offered Francis $10m per but he said "give me less and give other fighters more pay/healthcare" so they cut him.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
The biggest thing in my mind that Ngannou was asking for was short term contracts, 1-2 fight, 1 year deals, so that he could keep renewing for more pay each time he won, and wouldn't be locked in.

That takes away all of the control the UFC has, and they will never do that.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
How much do you all think this would change if Dana hypothetically were to uh, disappear?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

And if they'd just said 'yeah, sure' when Ngannou/Fury first became a talking point two years ago, that probably would've gotten them a bunch of press, a bunch of money AND made Francis happy enough that he didn't ask them for other (totally reasonable, it's horrifying we even have to talk about it) things.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

How much do you all think this would change if Dana hypothetically were to uh, disappear?

At this point, very little. Dana sucks as a human, but he's not a loose cannon running around doing poo poo. Endeavor keeps him employed despite his bullshit because this is what they want. If he was gone, they'd hire someone who does what he does, but politely and without the Nelk Boys photo ops.

we probably wouldn't have had slap fighting, though, so that'd be cool

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

CarlCX posted:

If he was gone, they'd hire someone who does what he does, but politely and without the Nelk Boys photo ops.

They already have, his name is Hunter Campbell.

For example, here's audio of him pitching the slap stuff to the Nevada athletic commission. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2wTARKZ4u8

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

drake dropped $500k for bones to finish so get those gane tickets in while you can

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

CarlCX posted:

The UFC would've gotten a big-rear end payday just getting their cut of the Francis Ngannou/Tyson Fury superfight, but they don't care about that. They need the extra few million dollars less than they need to discourage fighters from thinking they have leverage.

The more sponsorship money you got, the less you needed the UFC.

They can just never ever give in to anything outside slightly more money. If they give in on one thing, no matter how small, it can lead to them caving on other demands once fighters ask for other things.

And UFC wants the fighters to always think it's the UFC they need not the other way around. How many times fighters come to a post fight conference saying they had $20 left in the account, had to take the fight and that $40K they won is everything to them. (With Dana later saying how great that is they got that $40K and good the UFC is for fighters). It makes them take fights they shouldn't and give into demands when they shouldn't.

While managers are suppose to work for the fighter I don't believe that (In other sports sure). Like I highly doubt Ali is going to fight for a new guy at all cause the UFC will just go after his star fighters instead.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Probably nothing at all. Maybe something small just to show they are different and get good press for a day all the while the change is surface level and means nothing.

It's a billion dollar company controlled by a larger billion dollar company. Nothing ever changes. They are all crazy heartless rich power driven people in those top decision making spots. Changing out one won't matter.

VVV Hunter Cmapbell is a solid example. You don't get to become the Cheif Business Officer by being good to people below you. Gotta be just as ruthless as Dana

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So is the fight still on? Jon Jones hasn't done anything to gently caress it up?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ilmucche posted:

So is the fight still on? Jon Jones hasn't done anything to gently caress it up?

lol ur timing

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

JOHN CENA posted:

lol ur timing

????

Goddamnit Jon Jones

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

What happen

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1632128527792218112

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

JOHN CENA posted:

lol ur timing

JOHN CENA posted:

i can't believe this fuckin guy, hours from the fight

Quoting from two different threads, what are you talking about?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

this is also how i'm preceded whenever i arrive anywhere - grocery stores, nail salons, courtrooms,

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

As far as I know we're still on, and so is the GDT.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4026210

Come solve the Jon Jones mystery.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

GTO posted:

I would not be at all surprised to see some nasty eye poking, which can completely change a fight and although often warned on is rarely penalised.
Jones' Wikipedia page has a section on his eye pokes.

Also, lol

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Most of what CarlCX called sounds right, but I do think Dricus Du Plessis is going to drop Brunson, who really looked his age against Cannonier. My guess is that this is the beginning of the end for Brunson, and that this fight ends up being pretty lopsided for Du Plessis.

Heyyy I feel pretty good about this call. Brunson had some wrestling in round 1 go his way and traded for a little while, but was then just overpowered and blown out by the end of round 2.