Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

blue footed boobie posted:

What is even the appeal of the apex for the UFC? You would think they want to make money from the gates at arenas.

I guess they just want to pump out shittier and shittier events that no one will go to so they can bleed the ESPN contract for everything it’s worth.

They want to make a lot of money per event with huge sold out crowds, but a lot of places still have (or at least had last year) various covid regulations preventing that or even market research showing that they won't sell out (cuz people don't wanna risk covid just to watch Fight Night: Who vs Huh), so they don't want to deal with those places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Still waiting for a few more people at the weighins including both main event fighters but Gane typically weighs in at 247~ and I'm assuming Jones also can't possibly miss weight, so really the wait is for Neal, Araujo, Garry, Martinez and Blackshear. 124.5 for both co-main fighters.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

CarlCX posted:

tell the man what he's won

Pulled out of this same fight in January and now misses weight by 4 lbs? ouch. Hopefully this doesn't give him too much of an advantage Rakhmonov but I suspect he'll actually just gas quick.

Looks like Jones came in at 248, right around the same weight as Gane, I'd be really surprised if he was 260+.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

CarlCX posted:

Allow me to counterpoint with a brief powerpoint presentation about the last time Jon fought someone who forced him to work at range

lmao

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Carl excellent writeup again brother!

Do you post these on somewhere else? I'd like to be able to point casuals in your direction for fight writeups.

Yup, it's in the OP. https://carlcx.substack.com/

However I'll also say that you should totally point casuals to this thread, PSP isn't behind paywall so they can read without making an account. (Buy them an account! :getin:)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
It's a little hard to tell from context how much of what he's saying is "I won't let him fight in the UFC" and how much is "We've failed negotiations with him for years, it's realistically never gonna happen". Now obviously the reason for the failed negotiations is probably his own greed and desire to underpay everyone etc, but like if Ngannou suddenly decides he wants to fight for the same amount he was being paid before, I have a feeling Dana won't say no.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

CarlCX posted:

If he was gone, they'd hire someone who does what he does, but politely and without the Nelk Boys photo ops.

They already have, his name is Hunter Campbell.

For example, here's audio of him pitching the slap stuff to the Nevada athletic commission. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2wTARKZ4u8

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

JOHN CENA posted:

lol ur timing

JOHN CENA posted:

i can't believe this fuckin guy, hours from the fight

Quoting from two different threads, what are you talking about?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Obviously UFC should pay fighters more but the difference between MMA pay (in any organization, even for champions) and NFL pay is astronomical isn't it?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Shumagorath posted:

I can't substantiate this, but back when Jones was at his peak I recall people on this very forum saying he out-earned both his brothers.

Even if that's correct, does the answer change if we exclude exactly Jones, McGregor and Rousey?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

jonjonesvsthiagosantos.mp4

Sure but Santos is a long time BJJ black belt (Lineage: Mitsuyo Maeda > Carlos Gracie > Helio Gracie > Francisco Mansor > Carlos Henrique > André Terencio > Thiago Santos)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Mekchu posted:

How is it considered unsuccessful if the kick connected with Jones' cup and caused the fight to need a break in the action for Jones to recover from the nut shot?

I guess because in hindsight the fight getting stopped as a No Contest there would seem less embarrassing to Gane and potentially get him an "immediate rematch"? I dunno

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Lid posted:

That's true but the point was people saying at his peak he outearned his brothers is substantiated by his own brothers. A decade since does change the contracts and situation but it wasn't like people were trying to claim the average ufc fighter made more than an nfl player. Also the sponsorship era.

I think the point was why does the heavyweight division suck:

Shumagorath posted:

maybe if the UFC paid fighters instead of anyone reasonably athletic and north of 225lbs seeing the NFL as safer, more ethical, and vastly more lucrative

Which is why I think the comparison to Jon Jones specifically is a bit unwarranted, the average athletic dude considering both options is comparing 750k/year with like, 10k/10k per fight or something, it's not even close.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
If I were to offer some guidance as to prioritization of what gets typed up, it would be when exactly the card starts and where it is legally viewable for free (Usually youtube?)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Yeah it's bizarre, for a number of reasons but particularly because if the point is to photoshop the belt on to a new champ, just take a single loving good picture of the belt on it's own and use that, instead of grabbing random other fighter's entire arms.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1634769518261157890

hahahahaha, wild.

Oh wait just realized this is only main card, not including prelims. Oh well, still quite a wild comparison though not as much as I initially thought.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Eh if you care about UFC cards you should be relying on insta/twitter to tell you when there isn't a card on a Saturday, otherwise you should assume that there is. That being said, obviously, gently caress power slap and lmao at the fake tweets.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

kimbo305 posted:

Brut, did Krylov say anything about the war? Was he speaking in Ukrainian or Russian?

Uh kind of, there was this:

Brut posted:

Jesus christ, ya'll probably didn't get this on the ESPN broadcast but Krylov looked around to the crowd and shouted "USA, USA" a couple times with like a 'what now?' kinda look, then changed it to "Russia" chants with the same cadence (ro-si-ya). gently caress Krylov.

https://streamable.com/uxsbxo

I do also remember him saying something in the postfight interview along the lines of "I wish all our fighters well in future battles" but it was pretty vague. You know what, since UFC actually posts postfight interviews on youtube now and there's good footage, and since I was yelling at the translator for not paying attention during the first couple questions and just making poo poo up Wait, no, that was Usman's translator in the Bellator main event, lmao. --- anyway, let me provide a transcript:

DC: I'm here with Nikita Krylov, Nikita you guys were supposed to fight a couple weeks ago, but the moment the fight started you fought as if this was a one round fight, was this what you expected?
NK: Uhh, yeah probably blyat, if I knew things would unfold this way I would've agreed to fight the previous time, joking of course, felt very sick. I want to ask forgiveness of the organization (UFC) for the first time in my life pulling out of a performance, hope I gave everyone good emotions this time, wishing good luck to all our men in future battles.
Translator: Yeah if I knew the fight was gonna go like that I would've maybe said yes last time, it's a joke of course yeah I wasn't feeling well, I'd like to apologize to the organization for taking off that fight, this is the first time I've ever done it in the whole time I've been in the UFC, I hope everyone enjoyed the fight and I hope all the other guys that are behind me are gonna have a great fight.

Uh the rest of the interview is just about some technical stuff in the fight itself and then one answer that he gives in English about wanting to rest, not gonna bother with that.

Anyway I don't know for sure if the translator in the moment honestly thought Krylov was talking about other fighters later on the card, but from the exact language Krylov used I find it very unlikely that he wasn't referring to the war there, but it's vague enough that there's plausible deniability.

If you wanna have a go at it yourself or ask someone else the relevant part of the sentence is:
желаю удачи всем нашим парням в дальнейших боях

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
lmfao I love how Tyson's post is entirely in quotes

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Mekchu posted:

This is stupid. UFC doesn't operate on an "every weekend" schedule like every other sports leagues, so using their social media spaces to keep track of when an event is on is not absurd. Who just assumes there's a UFC event on EVERY weekend?

lmao I didn't accuse anyone of being absurd. There were 42 UFC events last year, if that doesn't count as "almost every Saturday" in your book, we don't have to agree on that. I don't specifically know that much about how other sports leagues operate but don't they generally take like full months off because there are seasons? I mean obviously "is it currently <insert sport here> season" or whatever isn't something you'd be looking up over and over every weekend, but still I thought the UFC actually operates on more weekends on average than the major sports. Point is if every Friday you thought to yourself "I'm gonna watch UFC tomorrow" then something like 80% of the time you'd be right, and the other 20% you'd be surprised with some extra free time, seems like a win/win to me.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Maybe we can create a power slap thread, you guys talk about it non-stop.

Seriously, its not MMA, why are you giving it so much attention?

It's because of things like this:

Mekchu posted:

1/3rd of the UFC's official YouTube channel in the past 8 days was PowerSlap content.

But it's the media hating on Dana that is ruining people's appreciation for PowerSlap and not, you know, how much people just don't want to watch it at all after having it attempted to be forced down their throats by the "Fight Promotion Genius."

Them putting this slap poo poo on the actual UFC channel is complete bullshit and it's this kind of poo poo that is forcing us to address it, at the end of the day while we did roll in the other MMA orgs in to the thread from the separate B-League thread, this is still a UFC-focused thread and if UFC is doing dumb poo poo we're gonna talk about it, even if said dumb poo poo isn't MMA.

That being said, I don't think I've seen a single instance ITT of anyone posting positive things about the slap poo poo

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Yo Fozzy

Brut posted:

That being said, I don't think I've seen a single instance ITT of anyone posting positive things about the slap poo poo

This part of my post was not meant to be a challenge, what the gently caress are you doing? cut it out.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Well, you pop with kickboxing testing by making up for lost time, due to being in the USADA pool for a while.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Google was telling me 12:30 (est) for early prelims the whole time :shrug:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Don't know what this was but it's gone.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

beep by grandpa posted:

from the twitter handle i wonder if it's the clip from today where Bisping mistakenly called a fighter (whose first name is malcolm) "malcolm x" lol

That dude's nickname is "X" and he's regularly introduced (by Buffer and such)as 'Malcolm "X" Gordon', so probably not that.

Edit: Wait, unless this is some kind of mistake by the caching robot it's this:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:5bmq-M4rgbsJ:https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1636889783661375490

Which uh...I guess doesn't tell me too much without the actual video being playable but it doesn't seem to be an MMA thing?

more edit: I think this is a different version of what that was https://twitter.com/colin_dunlap/status/1636888756622958592

Trillhouse was this what you were trying to post or was it supposed to be something else? I'm just confused

Brut fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 19, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Mekchu posted:

Also the tweet is fine and works.

Yeah I dunno this is weird, some people are saying it's working for them, but I'm getting:

Caching issue? If you go to the tweet itself and refresh, is it still there? If so I have no loving clue :shrug:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I stopped watching after the post-fight interviews, did they bring colby out at the presser or something?

I liked leon just not giving colby a shred of attention in his interview, it's the worst thing possible for a guy like that.
I haven't seen the presser but Megan Olivi talked to him for a couple minutes on the main broadcast

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
If Colby fought Belal the crowd would be chanting USA despite Belal being born in Chicago, and that's probably all you need to know about Colby's popularity.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

CarlCX posted:

In the midst of this argument, let me also remind the thread what really matters:

https://twitter.com/moicanoufc/status/1637615289532661761

lol

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Mekchu posted:

In his second fight with Usman he lost the "razor thin" fight you are claiming he had via a Unanimous Decision where all three of the judges only gave Covington a single round. The scores were 48–47, 48–47, 49–46. One judge only gave Colby 8pts in this "razor thin" fight.

I agree with your overall point but 48-47 is one fighter winning 3 rounds and the other fighter winning 2 rounds, 49-46 is 4-1, there's no 10-8 round in there either way.

But yeah, the rankings are bullshit and gently caress colby.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
lol I can't tell if I'm being trolled with the 10-8 thing. gently caress it, he lost all 5 rounds 10-8. 50-40 for Usman, that's the official version now.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

GTO posted:

How was last weekend's PPV? I'm spoiler free and haven't read the thread since then. It should drop on fight pass in a few hours so might watch tonight. Any must watch or skip fights?

Answering with regard to the whole (15 fight) card and not just the PPV; I think all the fights were at least pretty good, nothing boring/bad comes to mind. Obviously the co-main is a must-watch but we all knew that going in to it. The thread title for the GDT gives you a bit of a hint about several fight uh, situations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Cheating to win? someone give that man a title shot, clearly he's ready for it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
edit: lol wrong thread, oops

Brut fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 21, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I hope Colby doesn't get the title shot, but if he does, I hope Leon knocks him out in the first round and he goes away for a long time.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
They're going to keep the rankings if only because Dana enjoys lying to press and every time they ask him at pressers "So where do you think this fighter's gonna be ranked after this amazing performance" he replies "Well that's up to you guys" knowing full well it's total bullshit.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

lmao, also why is the quality just garbage on this? the part with the logo and the crowd in the background seems completely fine and then as soon as it switches to the fight it's like a complete blur, it's like the perfect shitpost

Edit: oh god drat it, I just looked closer at the name of the uploader. well done. Reminds me of those fake helwani tweets from a while back.

Brut fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 28, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Well that was quick

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
These fights rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Woah

Oh the 350k baht bonus is about $10k usd, less than I thought.

Brut fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 31, 2023