Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i look forward to the gyllenhal film. i was so stoked that warrior turned out as well as it did. i seriously didn't think i'd ever see decent to good mma movie again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Shumagorath posted:

Someone supercut this with Randy and half a dozen fighters I can't remember right now.

I think the only ban he's ever stuck to was Paul Daley.

what's his face from tuf? t money? something like that?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

man i'm real happy for grasso. i watched her last invicta (i think) fight and her first ufc fight. she looked really promising then, and really brought it to the champ today. to go back to your corner looking fresher than the dominant champ who spent the last 10 minutes chilling on top of you is genuinely impressive poo poo.

with that said either i hadn't seen valentina fight in so long that my brain made me think she was capable of things that she really wasn't even a little, or for whatever reason she fought pretty loving poorly today. but that doesn't really diminish grasso's achievement at all. it wasn't a leon edwards hail mary. she worked to that finish from the opening second and weathered serious adversity. extremely good poo poo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

mark hunt is correct lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

Alexa Grassowns.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Cheer up fella

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I'm pretty sure LeBron being on extras has been an open secret since his Miami days.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I almost can't believe that Dana white slapped the poo poo out of his wife and then went all in on white power slap hour.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Fozzy The Bear posted:

That's a poo poo rule, you can talk about slap league as long as you are negative about it?

what? i don't think anyone said that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mekchu posted:

Yeah like an Usman who has actual functioning knees probably beats Leon 9/10 times. But we don't have that and I think Leon's striking may just be a tad bit better than Usman's.

for real? am i misremembering usman easily outstriking him for 3.5 rounds?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Trillhouse posted:

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1635400405390639104?s=20
good news for people who like bad news (about power slap)

cool train wreck

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

the man will never stop loving up. what a waste man.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I'm sorry but I'm still surprised. How do you pop with kickboxing testing? Incredible.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

Good for him, but unfortunate how it happened, which was not on his terms

(turns out someone leaked a video of him doing a sex on a man so he issued a statement)

that loving sucks people suck.

i'm sure mma fans will be supportive.

just remembered the brazilian national anthem had the line 'we cannot roll, if you are gay'

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

mewse posted:

Conor went ballistic on twitter and started threatening usada?

if he keeps this up they'll give him a job

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lol nice one Dana. Worth every cent of his salary.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

dana wants his white power champion in his girdle slot which combines with his white power slap hour trinket for +6 to cocaine tolerence and a -6 to his wife's bullshit tolerence.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Can someone give a a brief synopsis of how Edwards pulled of the win? I am extremely impressed by that on paper.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CarlCX posted:

And you can't say Belal is a fan-unfriendly wrestler, because Colby Covington, and you can't say Burns already lost to the champion and doesn't deserve a fight, because Colby Covington, and you can't say Shavkat doesn't have a title-justifying victory, because Colby loving Covington.

this is a pretty persuasive piece of writing my friend.

CarlCX posted:

In the midst of this argument, let me also remind the thread what really matters:

https://twitter.com/moicanoufc/status/1637615289532661761

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Despite not caring about freestyle wrestling at all I ended up watching some stuff on Jordan Burroughs. I'm surprised he never made the transition. Absolutely crazy double leg.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I know nothing about him, so I dunno what his comfort with getting hit was -- I suspect that's a huge obstacle for a lot of wrestlers.

This old article discusses the nuance of wrestling technique when considering how well a wrestler might do:
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/4/4/2922382/a-theory-on-successful-wrestling-translating-to-successful-mma

The argument boils down to this:
wrestlers who are comfortable using feints or starting from the outside (as you would in MMA) might transition more easily than those who have lots of their game built on wrestling-specific clinch scenarios.
The author caveats that of course many elite wrestlers will be good at all 3 in large degree.

appreciated cheers man

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mekchu posted:

Speaking of rankings. Myself, CommonShore and CarlCX all got together and aggregated our rankings for MMA and wrote an article for it, as well as other articles by us, LobsterMobster, and Boco_T.

https://twitter.com/RealFightIsland/status/1637652995860230144

well done guys, hope it does well! i'll share it around with my mates.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

for two popsicles from the fridge i'll pen my magnum opus 'the high watermark of mma was the overeem / lesnar weigh in' as an exclusive for fightis.land.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

actually my keyboard doesn't have a shift key so never mind

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i was just thinking about the era where bisping and mayhem coached tuf and people loving hated bisping for being a bit of a penis, british, and annoyingly competent. am i imagining that? people hated bisping right? like people followed him around and tried to rickroll him with the hendo ko? it seems quaint that a time existeded where you could dislike someone from being annoying when now we've got people who are openly bigoted just being part of the atmosphere and one of the biggest draws in the best divisions is popular BECAUSE of saying and doing hateful things.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i remember making GBS threads my loving pants because i had like a grand on gsp and to my eyes he was visibly slowing down when he finished bisping.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i mean. Bisping called Jorge Rivera the hard -got. and Rockhold, too. he also called the Diazes White and some other stuff.

so yeah, people forget if and why they hate guys. I dislike Bisping for the original reason: he’s Polish. my family is also Polish, and Bisping once messed up the installation of a screen door on a submarine my Grandfather served on and he died.

Oh good I thought mma had somehow got it worse. gently caress old bisping. Saying that though if you were to look at my posts from the bisping tuf era I'd likely be saying some pretty heinous poo poo too. No I do not want anyone to check. I was a prick. Probably still am but haven't found out exactly how yet.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CarlCX posted:

He had a full-on meltdown on TUF about anti-British racism because someone called him whiter than a band-aid.

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

actually hang on mma is worse now. bisping was a piece of poo poo but at least he was hated for it. and he had the decency to let hendo explode his head completely the gently caress off.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

that title turnover rate is absolutely crazy.

and god bless hendo. since the first mention of him being shot i've seen him explode bisping's head, embarrass fedor, and still had some heart left to give us both late career shogun fights. not content with that absurd resume, when every person on earth was begging him to retire, he felt strongly that he needed to kill hector lombard first. which he did. god bless dan henderson.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

"Dana White Privelige"

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

while looking for brazil's national anthem i ran across this quote that made me remember that woodley / thompson had one of the most dog poo poo tedious title fights in history. in any division. so naturally they had no choice but to run it back. not with any plan to keep everyone awake or whatever like electrified octagon walls. just them in a cage for 5 more rounds. i remember anger at this booking because it was somehow obvious to me that these two aren't capable of fighting each other in a way people would want to watch.

anyway, all rise.

didn't want to gently caress my wife
had no testes all my life

had it bad, fever, dengue
we cannot roll if you are gay

was too well trained, my knee was sprained
had the flu, was feeling drained

it was not roids, 'twas novodex
off to japan, where they don't test

i hurt my back and my knees too
failed a drug test from barbeque

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I was just thinking thank gently caress Mark Hunt never had blood-lust like that and then I realised if he didn't learn to walk off KO early he'd almost certainly have murdered somebody.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

gsp is without a doubt the best fighter to ever fight at welterweight. he would beat anyone at his peak. he's too good. rogan is a loving moron.

that said, lawler's resume from knocking koscheck the gently caress out to defending against carlos condit is absurd. for almost three years he lost once to hendricks in a razor thin decision that was fotn anyway. condit and rory 2 are all time. gsp is the best fighter. lawler is the greatest ww champion.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

I would pick GSP in a GSP v Masvidal fight at this very moment without even knowing if GSPs in fight shape.

same

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

point taken. i still can't believe that happened. i love that serra is emoting for me.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

and matt brown. if you haven't seen matt brown vs eric silva, stop what you're doing. it's insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8utq0RNZ2jE

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i genuinely feel for eric silva. the loving pressure is relentless. matt brown rules.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Clearly best ever at their weightclass, no one else is close:
GSP, Jon Jones (LHW)

Mighty mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Can mma journalism induce a mid life crisis? Asking for a friend.