Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think the most likely scenario is kind of tepid kickboxing match that gane wins like 49-46. jones hasn't wrestled anyone since the second gustafsson fight iirc, his striking has looked worse in every fight and he doesn't pursue the clinch at all anymore.

but it's jon jones so he'll be physically indestructible and he'll probably have great cardio too, even with a belly, so i really doubt gane will be able to finish him unless it's become a real physical mismatch due to age and weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
shavkat is such a cool fighter. are we finally exiting the worst era of welterweight in UFC history?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

DoombatINC posted:

Hahahaha oh poo poo you weren't joking even a little

https://i.imgur.com/zPbtP3D.mp4

i'm in awe

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
makes no sense. why even hire overeem if he can't roid? why test at all, it's heavyweight kickboxing? why even test overeem when everyone loves him the most when he's got a pantastic boday

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
me irl every time i see roided out god body reem on my screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wKjP2Niu6o

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
if edwards fixed his fight brain problems the way the usman rematch suggests i think colby's gonna get loving wrecked anyway

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Marching Powder posted:

Can someone give a a brief synopsis of how Edwards pulled of the win? I am extremely impressed by that on paper.

i haven't rewatched it but it felt like he had a big advantage in footwork compared to the first two fights. he didn't give ground easily and didn't put himself against the cage, he kicked really well the whole fight, wrestled really well, hit usman with more hard decisive shots in the exchanges, worked the body a lot, and tactically cheated all fight long which is an extremely powerful skill in MMA lol. it was still a very close fight despite all that.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think he said the funny face man apologised for getting his toes stuck in his trunks so it's less of a tap and more of a no problem bud

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Marching Powder posted:

gsp is without a doubt the best fighter to ever fight at welterweight. he would beat anyone at his peak. he's too good. rogan is a loving moron.

gsp at his peak was just absurd. when he hosed his knees up he went from the best athlete in MMA history to, like, one of the top 5 athletes in MMA history

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
https://streamable.com/fepyca

koscheck wrestled his entire life only to lift a french canadian with no wrestling background into the air and still end up on his back. lmao.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

BlindSite posted:

GSP was the best we've seen from his era, but I think there's a pretty big gap between the WW division now to when GSP was king of it and the sports supposed to go that way really.

i think it's the good division that's improved the least, though i think it's largely because of the horrible booking since the division is not lacking for talent. but compared to flyweight through lightweight which have all become incredible must-watch divisions, welterweight's just kinda there except for when you get the odd well matched high level fight. better than middleweight (though nowhere near as funny) and lhw + hw but that's not saying much.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

CommonShore posted:

Even though many of Anderson's title challengers could challenge Pereira, I'm pretty sure that Pereira would beat the best Anderson Silva who ever stepped into the cage even if only from a styles-make-fights standpoint.

out of all the GOAT candidates (imo gsp/aldo > anderson/jones > MM/holloway/khabib/etc.) i think his style has aged the worst since the level of striking in MMA has so dramatically increased since he was a champ. but then i also think he's a huge reason why it's gotten so much better. rewatching some of those old fights it doesn't even feel fair, anderson feels like he's three steps ahead of everyone in the striking and 200 steps ahead in the mind games. and he was such a precise clinical finisher when he had people hurt.

if he was in his prime i think he'd still be an incredible fighter and i think he'd beat the current adesanya, but not the current perreira. whittaker would be a really really hard fight for him with all the feinting and the wrestling and the high level footwork. he'd probably beat everyone else but in competitive fights rather than with ease. actually i don't even know when his prime was since he kept improving into his mid 30's, maybe the vitor fight? the forrest fight? which is also making me reconsider if he should be in the gsp/aldo tier because that's insane when you think about it.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
today i thought about this video and laughed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV5zqPW-ukI

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
it's not his responsibility to stop fighting, that's why there's a ref and a corner. he should have stopped, obviously, and looking at the video (once, i'm not rewatching that, gently caress) he had lots of chances to. but that's why there's a ref and a corner - between the adrenaline and tunnel vision of physical violent competition, and the stress of fighting, i don't think you can expect a fighter to make rational decisions about their opponent's health. imo the biggest gently caress-up is the ref's, whose only job in there aside from enforcing the rules is to protect the fighters. second biggest is the corner's.

even if the fighter would be a psychotic murderer it's still the ref's fault. if the ref's doing their job it wouldn't matter.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
nice fight from sandhagen. he's still lacking the physical edge to compete with the best guys imo, but he is really really good at winning MMA fights with the skills he has.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
if leon's still got his new mindset i think he'll crush colby. at his peak maybe colby had the toughness, gas and skills to push leon for all five rounds (still don't think he'd win) but now he's old and his skills seem like they've degraded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think pereira is the biggest fighter i've ever seen relative to their weight class. it's just absurd but middleweight is a comedy division anyway so i think it's cool