Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

thought you said destroyer of carbs, look at that belly welly :eyepoop:

insert eight million Jon Jones quotes about taking three years to do it "the right way"

Can't believe the fight is this weekend. He's an absolute dickhead but I kind of just see Jones taking Gane down and being infinitely more experienced and better at grappling than him. Gane is technical, fast, and has great striking, but a one-legged Ngannou took him down. I just don't see it going well for him, as much as I want it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

Feel like Usman is going to regain his belt this weekend. I really like Leon Edwards but can't help but see him as one of the few people who wins fights and actually lowers his stock in the process (thoroughly beat Diaz but my prevailing image from that fight is him getting rocked and almost losing in the final round; won the championship after being thoroughly dominated by Usman but landing a beautiful kick at the very end). A slightly more prepared Usman is going to be ready for that kick, with added fire and motivation to get the title back. IMO Usman is just a much better overall fighter.

Anyway, I'll be back when Edwards wins by Round 1 submission because it's MMA and nothing makes sense.

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

I think Usman should win, but he's 35 and his knees are just little piles of dust scraping against each other, so I am doubtful

Yeah, at some point age will catch up to him. I wonder if that's now. Also getting knocked out cold can change a person.

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

COPE 27 posted:

At the very least they're earned a shot at the tag team championship

bah gahd it's belal 'remember the name' muhammad entering the octagon with a steel chair!!!

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

blue footed boobie posted:

I resisted making a post about how it actually kind of made sense to have colby be the backup, or at least it being not that big of a deal, but lol at him getting the next title shot.

Unpopular opinion but IMO Colby Covington had two long, competitive, and frankly pretty exciting to watch fights against Usman during the time when Usman seemed absolutely unbeatable.

He was up there in terms of the best in the division. A total rear end in a top hat, yes, but also a very effective fighter that was marginally worse than the dominant champion at the time.

His inactivity came right after the fight in which he manhandled and humiliated UFC Superstar™ Jorge Masvidal for five one-sided rounds, after which he was assaulted on the street by the guy he just demolished.

Sitting out since then is probably some combination of actual injuries + legal advice (much better in court to say you lost x amount of earnings due to an inability to compete.)

I don't think it's especially crazy at all that he was the back-up or that he's getting a title shot. It's somewhere just under O'Malley being catapulted into title contention for me.

CommonShore posted:

Leon Edwards has an all-time-great "caught red handed but refuses to admit wrongdoing staring right in the face of the authority figure unfinchingly maintaining innocence" face. p4p all time better than anyone. He looked as surprised as anyone else when the replay of him grabbing the fence came up.

Honestly feel that if Edwards had immediately said "Sorry, instinct, won't happen again - my bad" maybe Herb Dean would have let it go with a final warning, but the actively saying "I didn't do anything!!! What?!" while the replay on the screen shows him trying to do a human flag off the cage was not really a great look and it doesn't leave a ref with many options.

Do feel like the rules on cage grabs should be more strictly enforced though - most never get called or are just a quick warning. Don't mind the point being taken but it just feels so arbitrary when you watch it happen five times in a fight and nothing gets done about it, but then you see an immediate point deduction in a title fight.