Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Absolutly amazing write up, loving hell. I swear that's like half a magazine's worth of text. On fedor

CarlCX posted:

Fedor Emelianenko's legacy in the sport is a point of contention in the mixed martial arts fanbase.

Is such a beautiful understatement. There was a good decade where it was impossible to have a conversation about him. People who didn't like him couldn't approach the subject reasonably because they had too much hyperbole ringing in their ears from the last time they spoke to one of his fans, and his fans, who had a pretty rose tinted view of him anyway, were reacting even more effusively to that criticism. It's probably best summed up by Socrates saying, immediately after Fedor's one sided thrashing from Bigfoot "oh, I'd still favour Fedor over any heavyweight in the world"

reeg posted:

There was a moment where they tried Rampage on as a movie star and now he's in the Fight Circus

I thought he was actually a pretty decent actor. It seemed like he could have had a decent niche as a character actor/heavy. Kind of like Lavell Crawford: someone who's intimidating looking but also has plenty of personality. Wonder what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

A Passing Feeling posted:

insert eight million Jon Jones quotes about taking three years to do it "the right way"

Can't believe the fight is this weekend. He's an absolute dickhead but I kind of just see Jones taking Gane down and being infinitely more experienced and better at grappling than him. Gane is technical, fast, and has great striking, but a one-legged Ngannou took him down. I just don't see it going well for him, as much as I want it to.

Ngannou is freakishly strong and big, even for a heavyweight. Jones spent five rounds barely able to contain a one legged version of a man who got finished by David Branch.

Goddamn, Jones' latter run at LHW is loving dire. LHW is pretty loving dire generally but when you don't have a decade of Pride and TUF promotion behind the contenders, you feel it so much more. We had shitloads of Pride era highlights to tell us Rampage was good, we didn't have that for Anthony Smith.

mewse posted:

Rampage was a good actor in that A-Team reboot movie but there’s tons of footage of him being rapey with female reporters

As if that's a barrier in Hollywood. But you're probably right and that would be fair enough. There's also that terrible, transphobic comedy sketch he did. I think it came out right around the time trans rights got a little bit into the mainstream. It was bad enough that even the Sherdog forums thought it was bad. Probably a combination of that, his baggage with reporters and him just getting fatter and a lot less intimidating looking over time.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The absolute most amazing Jon Jones thing, and there are many, was the headbutting of the car. When he was arrested for domestic violence (within 12 hours of being inducted in the UFC hall of fame, no less) the police report included 'suspect headbutted a police car' and you'd be forgiven for being suspiscious. He's a black guy, confronting the police in the US. That could be a euphemism for 'we smashed his head into the car.' then the video came out and he straight head butts the car, while handcuffed, as hard as he can.

blue footed boobie posted:

Jones beat up Anthony Smith too for whatever that is worth (nothing) but yeah the talk about Jones at the end of his LHW run was whether he was just phoning it in because the competition was so lovely (it was really really lovely) or if he had actually lost it.

I personally don’t see how Jones wins against someone where he doesn’t have any obvious physical advantages, but I also have a sneaking feeling he’s going to make short work of Gane.

I don't really see the argument for him just phoning it in because the competition is lovely. Surely you just win quickly so you can go home, instead of winning so badly you nearly lose to a one legged man who, it really needs to be repeated, lost to David Branch...like...barely a year beforehand. The same argument got used when Anderson Silva fought weirdly against Leites and Maia. It was just that they didn't give him the openings he needed for his counter striking, so he was forced to fight worse.

I think Jones is a headcase. I've been seeing his tweets this week and it's all stuff about how bad Gane's resume is, how good his own is. He does seem to be gassing himself up, trying to talk himself into having some confidence. Rashad talked years ago about how weird he was and how much of his mentality is needing self belief and grounds for confidence.

There's also the stories of how much of a massive drinker he is. He would get blackout drunk most nights up until two weeks before the fight. It was so he had an excuse if he lost. Even if he's stopped doing that, and you'd bloody hope so, that takes a toll on your body. Drinking abusively while also training multiple hours a day, that poo poo knocks you around. He's my age and he looks about 8 years older than me, and I didn't have superhuman genes to start with.

ilmucche posted:

I did not know about this one.

Card sounds great, will make for some good Sunday post-f1 watching

In the same interview he talked about how important being straight edge is to him while having drugs delivered.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
All kicks landed on Jon Jones are dick kicks.

It's fitting that he won by his opponent looking like poo poo rather than him looking good. He was king of a bad division and he's moved on to a division that's even worse.

Shumagorath posted:

maybe if the UFC paid fighters instead of anyone reasonably athletic and north of 225lbs seeing the NFL as safer, more ethical, and vastly more lucrative

pretty sure you can make more as a bouncer in a mid sized city than you can in the UFC.

Actually, I said this sort of jokingly, but i picked a random heavyweight and it turns out he's on 25,000 a fight.

He actually could make more as a bouncer where I live, like really easily.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It rules that after all the years of incredibly stupid things the UFC and the sport of MMA has produced, power slap manages to be the absolute dumbest.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

made every fight a fun affair.

going to have to disagree with you pretty strongly there.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Holy poo poo Jones. Absolutely extraordinary.

There's a really good biopic that could be made about Jones. So incredibly good in the cage for so very long (last three title defences at LHW notwithstanding) while being incapable of not loving up outside of it. All his legal problems aside, he's just kind of clumsy. There's that clip of him trying to dunk a basketball and having the ball bounce out and land on his head. There's also that footage of Holly Holm casually outboxing him during sparring. Also he once came third behind Matt Riddle in a wrestling comp. He's not even good at sports or the inidvidual aspects of fighting, but he can put it all together. He put all his points into MMA and literally none into anything else.

Mekchu posted:

You guys aren't focused on his ridiculously chiseled physique 24/7?

Dude's muscles have muscles and I can't figure out how that's even possible.

I keep forgetting that Usman is fully 6'1 since he's so jacked he somehow looks shorter. Khabib had the same thing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

A Passing Feeling posted:

Unpopular opinion but IMO Colby Covington had two long, competitive, and frankly pretty exciting to watch fights against Usman during the time when Usman seemed absolutely unbeatable.

It was in the time when Usman was knocked down and nearly finished by the only non Masvidal or Covington person he defended his title against, Gilbert Burns

"He did better than anyone else" even if it were true, which it isn't, is a self fulfilling prophecy, since Usman has fought almost no one else in his title reign. It's loving annoying since WW is as good as it ever was. We've seen tons of great win streaks come and go while Usman's fought the same two people and Gilbert Burns.

We are rapidly approaching the 5 year anniversary of Colby's last win over someone coming off a win. That someone was Rafael Dos Anjos and Colby looked like absolute poo poo in it. He was outstruck and taken down repeatedly and got the decision based off enthusiasm. He's a less likeable Clay Guida

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i think it’s more that even if he’s not as big as Diaz/Masvidal, he’s way, way bigger than anyone else in the top 10. no chance Muhammad/Burns/Shavkat/Wonderboy/Neal/Brady/Luque are close. Khamzat is probably but he’s at MW now permanently supposedly.

People just say this because Dana keeps saying it. There's absolutely no data to suggest this.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

the few PPVs he's headlined have been reported to do well

Sort of. One of the PPVs he headlined, a stacked, heavily promoted one featuring another title fight and Justin Gaethje, did well. The next time he headlined, the numbers were never released.

You can't really extrapolate that he's more popular than guys who've never been in a comparable position on a comparable card. If you want to bring up his social media numbers, they were loving dogshit for years, until he started being put in main events regularly.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

easy to say Shayilan Nuerdanbieke (they're on the Izzy card I looked it up i don't know who they are) isn't a draw when they're on the second fight of the card, in an empty arena, and it's their fourth ufc fight. even Mighty Mouse at his very best struggled to draw because the UFC wouldn't do poo poo to actually help sell his fights and his name was made on the back of being extremely good at kicking the poo poo out of people.

I had a look at one point and found that a huge chunk of DJ's contenders had never even fought on a main card before they fought him. These guys, most of whom were really loving good and dangerous, were buried in the prelims, most of them on fight night cards. And then the UFC had the temerity to wonder why fans weren't that interested in his fights.

beep by grandpa posted:

wow fighters are dumb as poo poo

Nothing is going to top Angela Magana getting put in traction for not tapping to a twist in training but I see fighters will give being dumber a shot.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thank you for the correction.

There's still some beautiful timing, as the suplex-bar comes right after Joe says 'at this point, getting to the final bell would be a real achievement for Borg'

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mekchu posted:

If we totally remove the two losses this guy had in title fights, he'd be a champion.

And also ignore that he's completely untested against the top of the division for fully the last five years.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hollandia posted:

If we removed Dana White from the UFC management structure, we'd still have an organisation that puts on fights.

However I don't think there's many other people who could say, with a straight face, that Francis Ngannous isn't a draw.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Colby is genuinely amazing. He had a multi fight win streak at WW without a single actually impressive performance but which did include him getting outboxed by Damian Maia for a round. This win streak concluded four years ago, and somehow there's still people convinced he's near the top of the division despite not beating anyone in it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I'm trying to think of fighters who were mostly highly rated off competitive performance in title losses and how they did after that.

Yan in the Aljo fights, gets beaten twice more.
Gustafsson after Jones 1, lost to AJ and DC but his wins over Blachowichz and Teixiera were okay then but have aged well.
Gastelum fought the fight of his life vs. Adesanya and has otherwise been mediocre.

Who else?

Fitch went back to winning fights dully but reliably. That wasn't really competitive though, it was a steamrolling. It's just hard not to be impressed by Fitch just constantly getting up despite being comically outclassed. He really wanted it.

Mendes, after the second Aldo fight, never got on a win streak again, but only lost to champions or future champions. Nearly knocking out Volk has aged as well as anything else in MMA.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Nierbo posted:

Are you all forgetting Colby's fights with Usman? Yeah he lost and got stopped in the second fight but he fought his rear end off

This argument might apply if there was some shortage of contenders. If this was in some dumb fake division like Women's Featherweight or Men's Light Heavyweight, but Welterweight is full of actual contenders.

BlindSite posted:

He smashed maia and the outboxed thing is a weird meme that came about because he landed like 3 clean shots in one round and then got dominated for the rest of it.

Maia did decently but it wasn't a close fight.

I didn't say it was a close fight, I said he got outboxed in the first, which he did. The second and third rounds went exactly as they should between k-1 Maia and a man fully ten years younger than him, but the first round was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

The man is absolutely clapped out. What the gently caress lol how is allowing strikes to the brain stem even remotely arguable

When you've spent thousands of hours talking publicly, eventually, you say every possible combination of words including the very, very dumb ones. Joe Rogan passed that point and kept going some time ago.