Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
just watched Jon Jones' post-fight presser. he genuinely has one of the most fascinating brains I've ever seen, even by MMA standards. he answers the first 12 minutes of questions by talking about how humble he is now, how grateful, how spiritual, but especially now he's really just taking this opportunity to be humble. then someone asks him to respond to Francis saying "congrats from the heavyweight king" and he just says "Francis is a huge pussy...all that muscle with a big rear end pussy".

clipped it here:

https://streamable.com/x0wz3w

he's definitely going to drunk drive again.

also:

Bluedeanie posted:

God bless Mark Hunt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

He's smart enough to say "pride cometh before the fall" but not smart enough to like, sidestep the easily avoidable fall. Joe Rogan telling him he's cemented himself as the best fighter of all time means he's doing everything right and nobody can criticize him.

there's an Effort Post in me about this somewhere, but that's like the thing that makes him such a magnetic and compelling character. You can tell by watching any video of him that he is the most "uncomfortable in my own skin" person ever born. tragically, he was born into a Calvinist family + culture that espouses that Godliness is pre-ordained, so he has this constant nagging guilt that he just wasn't chosen by God to be drawn to the Godly things. He wants to get hosed up, gently caress everything that moves, be (deservedly) arrogant, beat the poo poo out of people, lie, be a sociopath, but he's been taught his whole life that feeling those things means you're a bad person and not capital-c Chosen. This drives him to be constantly self-conscious in a very visible way. You can tell how easily trash-talk gets to him because he is constantly scared that the chickens are coming home to roost for all of his sins. Which makes him train and focus even harder. Which makes him have more success. Which makes him think he's undeserving of it because of his inner feelings. Which makes him scared. Which makes him train harder...and so on.

As visibly tragic and sad as that is for him personally, it is also extremely funny and fascinating as an MMA fan. He will never stop dominating fights and then drunk driving. Nor will he stop giving answers about humility and then telling some guy he will literally kill them. He is just constantly lying, 24/7, nonstop, to himself, to others, and he'll never run away from it. It's such a particularly Protestant curse. He's like an MMA Jerry Falwell Jr.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

Calvinist upbringing, Calvinball lifestyle.

lmfao. picturing a coked out Hobbes just eyepoking the poo poo out of Calvin

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

It was way simpler, but that one’s nice too xD

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
surely that's gotta be per card. i can't imagine they're shelling $600,000 per 12-fight card?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

DoombatINC posted:

Hahahaha oh poo poo you weren't joking even a little

owns so much. i love him.

I took a ton of Classics classes in college and one thing that has made following sports infinitely more understandable is my professor explaining the Greek concept of "hero" and what the word originally meant. It didn't mean what it means in English today. It meant something more like "weirdo" or "someone with extremely deviant behavior, both good and bad". Oedipus for example killed his dad and plowed his mom, sure, but he was also the only one to answer the Sphinx's riddle and culturally was known for intelligence/capability/etc.

I think about that a lot with Jon Jones, or Barry Bonds, or Conor, or Tito, or any of these guys that reach such great heights and also perpetually gently caress up. Jones is the most self-conscious man alive and also tragically (the other Greek aspect of him) born into a culture where he can't do therapy or rehab or anything that might actually help him. He's extremely aware of his opponents' faults, so he has a world-class fight IQ. He's also completely aware of his own faults, so he works insanely hard and efficiently at fixing them. But that also means he needs to drink/do drugs/lift/train constantly so he can try to focus on something else other than hearing that voice in his head.

i couldn't design a more perfect metaphor of him recreationally wrestling while having a baggie of coke in his pocket. a fascinating human.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

chaleski posted:

I think he's bad because he hits women

:eng101:

speaking of steroids:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpymYHityQM/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

I'm praying that he wrote down the name of his dealer for my team

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

TheKingslayer posted:

It's WILD how much the UFC has wanted a Brit champion and they have one... but he's not the right one... for some reason... so let's hobble his run from jump with the most paper of paper contenders. It's like how in WWE they set up a guy they didn't want to be champion with a Kane feud.

I don’t really understand this take. Colby is the biggest draw outside of Masvidal they could make, and there’s a good chance that Leon wins. That gives him more shine.

They’re also 100% hoping that Masvidal wins against Burns. If they do that and Leon wins, that’ll be the next title fight, meaning that Leon will start his reign off fighting the two most popular draws, which is the opposite of hobbling IMO.

And looking after that…if they can convince Nate to come back, that’s the obvious third fight. And then if Conor beats Chandler, that’s another fight. Leon’s in pretty good shape to fight 4 out of the top 6 or 7 draws at the company. All in matchups that he should be a sizable favorite for outside of Colby imo. He would be one of the biggest stars if he can pull it off and incredibly wealthy.

Sucks to be Muhammad or Rakhmonov. I think they only get title fights if absolutely necessary.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Do we have any evidence that Colby is a significant draw? Since he’s been in the main events of ppvs I don’t think we have been getting buy rates because it’s all through espn or whatever. And of course anything dana says is to not be trusted

i think it’s more that even if he’s not as big as Diaz/Masvidal, he’s way, way bigger than anyone else in the top 10. no chance Muhammad/Burns/Shavkat/Wonderboy/Neal/Brady/Luque are close. Khamzat is probably but he’s at MW now permanently supposedly.

I think it’s also that Edwards is an exciting, charismatic, standup striker that would be a realistic sell against Jorge/Nate/Conor. i would imagine the UFC wouldn’t mind him winning at all.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

People just say this because Dana keeps saying it. There's absolutely no data to suggest this.

what are the odds that you think any of those guys is as popular as Colby? the few PPVs he's headlined have been reported to do well, but I get if you think those numbers aren't trustworthy. but he does have like 3x the social media followers of Belal, for example. and all of the video content (that seems to be a leading indicator of PPV success) with him feels like it does more views/more engagement/etc. And all of the stupid poo poo he's done has got him notoriety with the decrepit morons that buy into his gimmick. I doubt any of those people know what a Shavkat Rakhmonov is.

I think the guy is a big time doofus, but I think he's pretty clearly by far the most popular "reasonable" draw they could make. It would have been nice for him to fight a top guy before getting the shot, but I think he'll open up as a favorite against Edwards, and he probably would against everyone in the division except for Shavkat. Which is probably why it's such a quick decision for the UFC.

Flaskraven posted:

Look, I love Edwards, but calling him exciting is just wrong. He's a patient outside kickboxer that sometimes does some cool clinch stuff. He's boring but cool.

fair point. i'm probably biasing because I like watching him a lot. he seems to have good enough skills to finish high level guys and also bad enough defense to be finished. it gives his fights a nice exciting tension that's always there since it could end (both ways) at any moment.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Mekchu posted:

Then there's no need to ever do rankings or use any semblance of rankings. Neither Masvidal nor Colby realistically can claim they sit highly in if you do decide to use them.

I don’t know that that’s true. they’re rankings and not standings. I think in the eyes of the public/oddsmakers, Colby’s razor thin performances against Usman and his domination over an what looked like an over-the-hill Masvidal probably counts more than a great win over Sean Brady and a good win over Luque. As I said before, I think he’d be the betting favorite against everyone except Shavkat, including Leon, so his ranking makes sense IMO.

I think Belal would probably win vs Colby and not vs Leon. Would be nice to see those fights. But I’m also looking forward to Leon/Colby. I think Colby wins that, which will be unfortunate.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Mekchu posted:

Sorry but we're not gonna get into semantics over "rankings" versus "standings" as, effectively, they're interchangeable words for the same thing when it comes to the silver number put next to the fighter's name on the graphic.

I’m not saying Colby has had a more impressive recent run of victories. I’m saying that in the estimation of most people who watch the sport and also the oddsmakers, he would still be a favorite despite not beating anyone aside from Masvidal recently.

because of that, the semantic difference does matter here. he’s not really an egregious choice for a title shot because his skill set means he’ll be a favorite going into that. Muhammad might be, too, but I’m not sure. I would be more of a coinflip on that. I would put Shavkat as a sure favorite.

i’m with you on hoping Muhammad gets a shot. he’s an exciting fighter and it’s extremely dark that one of the most notable Palestinian fighters is getting usurped by the gimmick that supports the embassy-in-Jerusalem president. it’s just that this is much less of an lovely title shot IMO than many recent ones because the challenger will be the odds favorite against the champ and also would be against the guy he’s usurping. the second Masvidal fight for example was much worse for that.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Marching Powder posted:

i was just thinking about the era where bisping and mayhem coached tuf and people loving hated bisping for being a bit of a penis, british, and annoyingly competent. am i imagining that? people hated bisping right? like people followed him around and tried to rickroll him with the hendo ko? it seems quaint that a time existeded where you could dislike someone from being annoying when now we've got people who are openly bigoted just being part of the atmosphere and one of the biggest draws in the best divisions is popular BECAUSE of saying and doing hateful things.

i mean. Bisping called Jorge Rivera the hard -got. and Rockhold, too. he also called the Diazes White and some other stuff.

so yeah, people forget if and why they hate guys. I dislike Bisping for the original reason: he’s Polish. my family is also Polish, and Bisping once messed up the installation of a screen door on a submarine my Grandfather served on and he died.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

My stance on Anderson-Pereira is mostly based on my belief that Anderson's striking style was optimized for eating up people who don't know how to strike very well and/or for opponents who engage cautiously. Pereira is neither of those things.

I think the cautiously thing is because people saw the Leben fight and then the Franklin fights and thought "oh drat I will get the most brutal rear end kicking of my life if I engage with this guy full on". I think he would eat up Pereira real bad. I think Rockhold, Yoel, and GSP all would have great shots against him though.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Its a silly thought experiment, since we will never know for sure. But 2010 GSP would beat Usman and Edwards and Colby.

yeah. I think "if you could transport their skills/body composition/etc. into the appropriate weight class, in their prime, who would win", it would be:

1. Jones
2. GSP
3. Mighty Mouse
4. Khabib
5. Aldo
6. Volk
7. BJ
8. Cejudo
9. DC
10. Anderson

then Usman, Cruz, Conor, Stipe, etc. Not saying this has anything to do with accomplishments, just "who would win". Anderson is one of my all-time favorite fighters but he just never really had the takedown defense against truly elite wrestlers, I don't think.

I think there's a big gap between #1 and #2/3. Then another big gap between #3 and #4. Then another big gap. It's fun picturing a heavyweight Dominick Cruz.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Digital Jedi posted:

https://twitter.com/BloodyElbow/status/1640869375099158528?s=20

1) What a stupid loving thing
2) You know people will spend the money for it

wish i had money to honor my grandfather, C. Dom DePot