Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

There are freaks out there that think JBJ will have the striking advantage against Gane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

COPE 27 posted:

I've never wished covid on someone, but if Gane couldn't fight and they needed to save the card on short notice...

And NEW! Sergei Pavlovich

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/sergei-pavlovich-tabbed-as-official-backup-for-jon-jones-vs-ciryl-gane-at-ufc-285/ar-AA180Xm4

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Jones has looked pretty freaking terrible after the Cormier 2 fight. I'm sure it's a complete coincidence that was the fight that got overturned for PEDs. His offensive wrestling has regressed and his striking output has dropped especially in the clinch. As the division has gotten physically larger, he's struggled with people who have size parity and do not have to pressure to get through his reach.

Though he did truck the ghost of Gustafsson anyway.

I expect the most likely outcome is we'll see a slow paced kickboxing bout with Jones trying a couple of very awkward takedowns against the bigger man. They probably won't work and even if they do, he probably doesn't get much done with them. I think he's going to get jabbed up by Gane while landing some kicks and some inconsequential punches, and I feel like this might finally be the point where we see him crack and fall apart.

Jones is out of shape, moving up in weight, last looked good 5 years ago while doing PEDs, and is a 36 year old that has been fighting for 15 years at this point. The Jackson-Winklejohn camp that was a powerhouse when he was coming up has fallen apart.

But it's trashweight and Gane's TDD against chain wrestling sucks so really anything could happen.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think it was reasonable to expect Jones to do anything other than what he did with Gane. He's not gonna throw hands with a world class kickboxer who can't wrestle.

jonjonesvsthiagosantos.mp4

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 5, 2023

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Jones hurt Gustafsson with a spinning elbow in the critical round 4, ultimately winning him the fight. He also spammed them effectively against Rua when he won the title.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

leftist heap posted:

So how many people have won back their belts from the person who beat them? Taking a brief look it looks like Stipe, Couture, Figueiredo and Nunes?

Cain Velasquez over JDS

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Yo can I get accepted into the Tapology group? Same name as here.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

UFC, where the best fight an rear end in a top hat the boss likes

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The context is that's the mom of Spencer Lee, who just lost in the semis going for his 4th NCAA Div 1 championship. The tweet they posted had a pretty cool wrestling sequence where he lost and then that.

He's a generational wrestler, an Olympic level talent who could potentially make his way to MMA ala Kamaru Usman because his knees are similarly blown.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The only people who should be getting title shots off one bounce back win when there are any other options (much less an 8 fight winstreak including multiple top 5/10 fighters) are champs who just lost their belt or contenders who lost such a close fight against the champ that people are making the case for an immediate rematch.

P.S. Immediate rematches should only be for draws.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Do we have any evidence that Colby is a significant draw? Since he’s been in the main events of ppvs I don’t think we have been getting buy rates because it’s all through espn or whatever. And of course anything dana says is to not be trusted

The only evidence we have says the opposite. I think there was an analysis on Bloody Elbow somewhere.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 19, 2023

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

It's a weird one because he doesn't look to be in a submission at that point

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

People underestimate just how much MMA has developed in the last 10 years. Even the broad strategic strokes of a fight were different, before all the new tactical wrinkles.

"Good" wrestling defense was having a fast, heavy sprawl. The average striking pace was glacial in comparison. People who weren't BJJ world champions were happy to work from the bottom for extended periods of time to try to catch submissions.

That said, prime GSP would wrestle prime Masvidal into oblivion.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Colby's been out for so long and in a newish camp situation so what he looks like could be substantially different, but if he picks up where he left off I think he's pretty likely to win rounds while Edwards is pretty likely to KO him.

Colby's pace and pressure are similar to what Usman was doing when he was clearly troubling Leon, and I don't think Leon will push forwards enough to force Colby to go backwards like Usman did. Colby is also way more willing to take a clean hit to apply his pressure than Usman.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm trying to think of fighters who were mostly highly rated off competitive performance in title losses and how they did after that.

Yan in the Aljo fights, gets beaten twice more.
Gustafsson after Jones 1, lost to AJ and DC but his wins over Blachowichz and Teixiera were okay then but have aged well.
Gastelum fought the fight of his life vs. Adesanya and has otherwise been mediocre.

Who else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Hollandia posted:

Come on now LobMob, a jokes a joke but you're going too far with these ridiculous made up names

Jaleel “The Realest” Willis
Maria “Mouse” Henderson
“Rose City Phoenix” Randi Field

They're all so bad