Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The argument for champ Vs champ is that the UFC has abandoned all pretense of being a sport based on merit and is based on potential sales factors.

Which makes the non advertisement of Volk Islam even more baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would like to order one Jon Jones getting knocked the gently caress out for this weekend

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

there is no god

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BlindSite posted:

God is punishing you for believing in false prophets like Johnny Walker

excuse me, i believe in johnny walker so little that i don't even like the whisky

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd be shocked if they're not cheap little plastic things rather than actual rubies tbh

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

a quick google shows them starting at ~£10 lol

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stipe was always the most interesting fight for Jones at HW and it seems probable we'll get that now.
Francis was also interesting because the man has death for hands, but that's not happening so it's neither here nor there.
Assuming Jones would cruise this fight was foolish, even though that turned out true. Being incredulous that people thought he might get bullied and beaten up having made a huge gain in weight against a naturally significantly bigger fighter is peak hindsight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The take away from Brunson's payday is that Brunson will not be getting renewed.

As CarlCX says, Bo Nickal's something of an exception.
The other dudes on peanuts pay are paying out of pocket. We've heard cases of huge chunks of the show/win money going to expenses, essentially meaning the camp is a loss if the fighter loses.
Get a broken bone/doctors ban and it might be that you're only on one fight a year, so 12k, all taken by expenses for a full year.

Other than a vain hope of becoming the next Conor and making big bank, there is no reason to be an MMA fighter to earn a living.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Buffer getting 50k a card is obscene in real terms.
In fake bullshit doesn't actually matter - he brings a lot of value to the cards and is a genuine part of what made the UFC big. In some ways, he's not earning enough.

The problem that he's earning 2x as much as the dudes who get paid the minimum if they win and 4x as much if they don't for shouting is more that fighters should be earning significantly more.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2023/3/...-gave-it-to-him

Dana LIED?!?!

There's a bunch of other lovely quotes in there further proving him to be an absolute poo poo stain again.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Benson Cunningham posted:

It's really not though. He's an identifiable part of the prestige associated with the UFC. The ring announcers for ONE, Bellator, and other promotions pale in comparison. Just because fighters are underpaid doesn't mean he is overpaid.

It absolutely is obscene in real terms. When everything on earth is costing extreme amounts more and people are dying because they can't afford their meds or rent, 50k to shout for a grand total of 5 minutes is obscene.

You're talking about the same fake bullshit that doesn't matter that I did. Bruce absolutely brings a huge amount to the UFC package and it's obscene that he gets more than the fighters, because the fighters get too little.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe he should try stirring racial hatred and sedition in the US and then maybe he'll get his shot

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

elon is dumb as gently caress and broke his 44 billy toy again

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dana wants colby to be the champ because dana's a racist oval office and he wants to give his racist oval office mate title shots until he eventually wins one that's all there is to it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

sentence case is boomer core anyways

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

in a ten point must system, a 10-10 round is so rare it might as well not exist.
you can win an extremely close fight 50-45 if you win all five rounds by a thin margin.

while most 48-47 fights are close fights, it doesn't mean a 50-45 can't be and it doesn't mean the other dude got dominated

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

hendo looks like a troll doll (without the hair) that came alive solely to break peoples jaws, he's p cool

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i'm no statistician

but i would imagine there's a significant link between "fighter is a draw" and "the ufc has actually advertised one of their fights". they directly control who is and isn't a draw by how much they want to talk about them and it's only the exceptional athletes who break this as a rule.

easy to say Shayilan Nuerdanbieke (they're on the Izzy card I looked it up i don't know who they are) isn't a draw when they're on the second fight of the card, in an empty arena, and it's their fourth ufc fight. even Mighty Mouse at his very best struggled to draw because the UFC wouldn't do poo poo to actually help sell his fights and his name was made on the back of being extremely good at kicking the poo poo out of people.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 20, 2023

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The thing about Rogan's point about fighting eras isn't hugely off the mark, he just completely debunks himself by picking one of an incredibly small number of fighters to whom it simply doesn't apply, GSP, and then he uses a fighter who wouldn't land a single punch to double down on the self debunk.

In a list of all time greats from the past who you could argue would still be the clear best all time in their division now, if in their prime, the list is like:

Clearly best ever at their weightclass, no one else is close:
GSP, Jon Jones (LHW)

More arguable examples:
Anderson,
Khabib (very short reign though)

And you'd maybe say prime Aldo & prime Max makes prime Volk a fun fight, but I'd favour Volk. (Arguably, we had prime Max vs prime Volk?)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yes, good shout.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What the fucccck

He held and transitioned the sub so long that he woke up from passing out to find himself in an armbar. Unreal.
MMA kinda sucks. You've got assholes like Dana in the "good" league and outright sociopaths in the rest.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 25, 2023

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The dude choking the dude and then breaking his arm is absolutely not the least at fault.

He could have stopped choking the dude when he passed out, and then not have broken the sleeping man's arm.
He's the most at fault, he held all the power to stop and didn't.

Everyone sucks here, but the dude actually doing this is the one with the control.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ashley "Smashley" Cummins needs to meet someone with the surname Pashley

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FishBowlRobot posted:

Cody McKenzie walked so Pereira could run

This makes me wonder: how long until fighters are obligated to pay for their fight shorts and gloves for their fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CarlCX posted:

A bunch of really good fights got announced, like Ilia Topuria/Josh Emmett, Matt Schnell/David Dvorak and the return of Eryk Anders, but I don't want to talk about that, I want to talk about Joe Rogan being dumb as poo poo.

why doesn't he just skip right to saying they should knife fight because on the streets people have knives and they're going to end the fight way quicker than a punch jamie bring that up