Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Jerusalem posted:

I'm ashamed to admit I've missed all of Jon Jones' Heavyweight fights that earned him this title shot, which top ranked competitors did he beat? Actually I don't need you to be that specific, just what competitors at Heavyweight has he beaten? Actually scratch that, I'll make it easier, I just need to see one of his Heavyweight fights, which of the heavyweight fights that the fighter about to wrestle for the Heavyweight Title has fought should I watch?

Far be it from me to defend Jones, but he does have two wins over former HW champ Daniel Cormier which is the same amount of wins over Daniel Cormier that the most successful UFC HW of all time has. You could argue DC's fights with Stipe were closer as well. It's the lay-off more than the lack of legitimate competition that makes Jones' shot harder to justify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

A Passing Feeling posted:

insert eight million Jon Jones quotes about taking three years to do it "the right way"

Can't believe the fight is this weekend. He's an absolute dickhead but I kind of just see Jones taking Gane down and being infinitely more experienced and better at grappling than him. Gane is technical, fast, and has great striking, but a one-legged Ngannou took him down. I just don't see it going well for him, as much as I want it to.

Thiago Santos drat near beat Jones with straight kickboxing and I don't see why Gane couldn't do the same. A range-y active striker is so far the type of fighter Jones has had the most difficulty with (Gus I, Santos, Reyes, OSP).

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
This is where the exclusivity deals with Reebok and Venum kind of show how shortsighted they are. If fighters could court their own deals with sponsors, UFC would merely need to stay the biggest MMA show in town and that exposure + star power would drive up sponsorship money for the fighters without costing UFC a thing. UFC would even benefit from this if you had somebody like Ngannou appearing in a Gatorade commercial or whatever it would work around to being a low-key UFC commercial that UFC got for free.

Naturally the UFC should also be paying more.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Dana would absolutely give Buffer concessions to keep him going to a different organization.

He would not do that for 99% of his fighters.

Even though Buffer may not be overpaid, that he is probably seen as the harder thing to replace than the fighters is a bit tough to swallow. I like Buff fine, but I low-key prefer Joe Martinez and definitely prefer Lenne Hardt.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

leftist heap posted:

So how many people have won back their belts from the person who beat them? Taking a brief look it looks like Stipe, Couture, Figueiredo and Nunes?

Adding GSP, Moreno, and Cain, that's actually quite a lot when you consider how few people are two time champs at all.

Who would the others be? Esparza, Zhang, Namajunas, Aldo, Cruz, Hughes, Mir and Sylvia.

So roughly half of the two time champions won it back from who took it off them.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Mekchu posted:

Speaking of rankings. Myself, CommonShore and CarlCX all got together and aggregated our rankings for MMA and wrote an article for it, as well as other articles by us, LobsterMobster, and Boco_T.

https://twitter.com/RealFightIsland/status/1637652995860230144

This is great and thank you.

Small note though: Charles Oliveira is ranked twice in 155lbs. Which I'm all for.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Nierbo posted:

The vibe on this forum when Robbie Lawler was ww champ was something else too. It was like everything came full circle.

I was pretty ready for Charles Oliveira to be the next version of the journeyman-makes-good champion that everybody backs.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I think it is perfectly reasonable to be more scared of an angry Mark Hunt than an angry Francis. I feel like Mark Hunt is much less likely to be reasonable when angry.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Colby is also a smallish WW and Leon is a very big WW. I was amazed at how much bigger than Usman Leon seemed in their fight.

That said the best case scenario is Colby/Leon is set up and then falls through and Colby has to fight a late replacement who is like iunno Vicente Luque and gets starched inside the first two rounds.

Then we get Leon/Luque which would be a baller fight and Colby retires and becomes a realtor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

CarlCX posted:

A bunch of really good fights got announced, like Ilia Topuria/Josh Emmett, Matt Schnell/David Dvorak and the return of Eryk Anders, but I don't want to talk about that, I want to talk about Joe Rogan being dumb as poo poo.

I think if we want to make UFC fights less safe and more like real fights instead of legalizing blows to the back of the head (which is a boring idea and would only result in more fighters getting paralyzed and retiring in their prime or whatever) they should instead increase the realism by filling the octagon with furniture and dinnerware and a random assortment of strangers who can join the action or not as they see fit.