Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
when do the playoff schedules come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Luke Hughes played 21 minutes tonight and had two points.

Surely they start Bahl or Smith vs. the Rangers though right? There's no way Lindy is that brave?

https://twitter.com/AlexC_THW/status/1646704679802241027/photo/1

https://twitter.com/CJTDevil/status/1646704761977053186

Also won't have the balls to make Schmid the backup imo, but they should.

Still, what a season by the Devils. Biggest point improvement by a NHL team since 1992-1993, and third most ever I believe (if you count the longer 93 season which you should). I think the Rangers are a really tough series for them with their youth, but it should be a fun one. Hopefully Meier provides enough shithead.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 14, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont see the Avs losing to the Preds in any fashion but hey I love surprises

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Some good matchups though, should be a fun playoffs to watch

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Is Laurent Brossoit gonna be the Knights playoff starter?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Florida is one of only two teams (the other being Ottawa) who beat Boston more than once this year. They've been hot lately, and they're probably the wild card team that I thought could potentially upset either Boston or Carolina. Superstar forward, largely the same roster that won the President's last year, and a 2x Vezina winner in net if he remembers he's good. Should be a fun series.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Alex Lyon is gonna be the starter no?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Vegas babey :cool:

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
So its losing to the Oilers again? Fine, whatever.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

when do the playoff schedules come out?
actual matchups aren't fully set but here's the schedules:
https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/1646748687354286081

edit: full broadcast info and puck drop times to be announced tomorrow about 30 minutes after the Avs/Preds game.

fermun fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 14, 2023

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

not sure which team I would rather have Colorado face in round 1, I kinda want Seattle to win round 1, so maybe I don't mind if we match up with Minnesota instead

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Is Laurent Brossoit gonna be the Knights playoff starter?

Looks like it. He's been shockingly good, and he's a better stylistic fit with the Knights strategy of giving up lots of chances but very few high danger chances or rebounds.

He absolutely robbed Seattle a couple of times last night too.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrADNB2rD0h/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This hit me kind of hard last night. I have family connections to Sandy Hook. This kid lost his sister in the shooting and the Rangers gave him a scholarship.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Matt Zerella posted:

I remember this feeling last season right before the playoffs. “Hey, we aren’t supposed to be here, lets get the kids some experience” then a week later its just pain and anxiety.

When the Leafs made the playoffs and faced the Caps, I was pretty okay with the result, I think. Little did I know what was to come.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

So its losing to the Oilers again? Fine, whatever.

It's gonna fuckin rock.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Oilers finished at 33% on the powerplay this year, scoring 89 pp goals.

The ‘87-‘88 Oilers scored 88

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
big big Kings fan these days love adrian kempe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mennoknight posted:

big big Kings fan these days love adrian kempe

Masochist

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Someone said they were working on a playoff thread, right? Someone said that but I can't remember who.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Posted in the losers thread but Pittsburgh cleaned house today

Burke hextall and pryor gone

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

CBJSprague24 posted:

Later this summer, when we're told that some dude picked 3rd to 5th is going to be GREAT in 2-3 years, we'll remember this lineup:

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1646653092128083968?t=9wArdvs612_H9x_JksS4Jw&s=19

This is just the hockey version of the Fighting Baseball name meme.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

stab posted:

Posted in the losers thread but Pittsburgh cleaned house today

Burke hextall and pryor gone

Wow.

Deserved, but unexpected

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Hand Knit posted:

Someone said they were working on a playoff thread, right? Someone said that but I can't remember who.

I think Arivia said she was going to do it today.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/PuckPedia/status/1646909856371310593

Get paid Bouch

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1646894586206224385?s=20 :cb:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Dunno how this Rangers/Devils series will turn out. I think if the Rangers don't play aggressive and try to make plays it'll turn out badly for them. I feel like with teams like the Devils you can't play a prevent style game where you're just trying to throw the puck out of danger, because that just keeps giving them the puck back and lets them keep attacking. You have to put them on their heals by making plays to push the puck back up the ice and get zone time.

If the Rangers just go 'we know they're fast and aggressive we need to be patient and play good defense' they might be in a lot of trouble. If they try to take control of the puck and be the team pushing the pace they'll do alright

e: also lol gently caress Brian Burke

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Levitate posted:

Dunno how this Rangers/Devils series will turn out. I think if the Rangers don't play aggressive and try to make plays it'll turn out badly for them. I feel like with teams like the Devils you can't play a prevent style game where you're just trying to throw the puck out of danger, because that just keeps giving them the puck back and lets them keep attacking. You have to put them on their heals by making plays to push the puck back up the ice and get zone time.

If the Rangers just go 'we know they're fast and aggressive we need to be patient and play good defense' they might be in a lot of trouble. If they try to take control of the puck and be the team pushing the pace they'll do alright

Given how the Penguins series last year went I feel pretty good that Gallant knows how to adjust to this kind of thing.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Levitate posted:

The Devils are most vulnerable imo to teams that grind them down and cycle (Carolina at their best, Boston last week). They're pretty comfortable and good at trading chances although I'm not sure it will work in this series given the goaltending disparity.

But yeah, I'd agree that you can't let the Devils have the puck and expect to win. They're an OK team without the puck, they're an incredible team with it.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Burkextall might be dead but Barzal sure ain't! Right on time too!

https://twitter.com/AGrossNewsday/status/1646908867278778368

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Fish posted:

Burkextall might be dead but Barzal sure ain't! Right on time too!

https://twitter.com/AGrossNewsday/status/1646908867278778368

Amazing how this always happens

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

T-Bone posted:

The Devils are most vulnerable imo to teams that grind them down and cycle (Carolina at their best, Boston last week). They're pretty comfortable and good at trading chances although I'm not sure it will work in this series given the goaltending disparity.

But yeah, I'd agree that you can't let the Devils have the puck and expect to win. They're an OK team without the puck, they're an incredible team with it.

yeah and the Rangers need to focus a little more on the cycle and not every zone entry attempt a cross ice pass which usually leads to a turnover the other way. I mean, if it's there sure, but if not don't force it just get a cycle going
Just feel like the last time they played the devils in the first period at least they fell into the "just whack the puck away from a devils player oh no they recvered it ok quick just dump it out of the zone oh no they have the puck again and are attacking"
I don't really mean they should just try to trade chances and turn it into a wide open game, but like...if you get the puck in your own zone, you need to make a play and break out and attack and sustain the attack, not just throw it around the boards.

it'll be interesting to see the adjustments that come with a 7 game series

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Would have been a lot cooler if the isles pulled a Tampa and used all of Barzals cap space on upgrades elsewhere before activating him for game 1 of the playoffs but hell I'm just glad to see my little dangle buddy back on the ice finally

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i feel like the islanders would have preferred to let barzal play in a pivotal game 82 rather than potentially handicap their playoff chances. feel like you can't really compare them to some of our other uh, egregious examples.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the isle weren't even using ltir space. they could have activated barzal anytime

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

tarbrush posted:

Wow.

Deserved, but unexpected

? It was completely expected. They weren't FSG guys to begin with, and they totally blew it this year.

It would have been shocking if they weren't fired for this. Or am I missing some sarcasm here

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

the isle weren't even using ltir space. they could have activated barzal anytime

My apologies to Lou and the fine NY Islanders organization

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

? It was completely expected. They weren't FSG guys to begin with, and they totally blew it this year.

It would have been shocking if they weren't fired for this. Or am I missing some sarcasm here

I thought it was assumed that Hextall was gone and there was uncertainty on if anyone/everyone else was too

Given how the news of them missing playoffs for the first time in forever has overshadowed stuff like "winningest team in league history", I obviously agree with the decision to move on from everyone, and yeah the results alone were deserving of it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

To be fair it's been so long since the Penguins as an organization did anything smart that it just kind of comes as a surprise when they finally do, however obvious a move it is.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Chris James 2 posted:

I thought it was assumed that Hextall was gone and there was uncertainty on if anyone/everyone else was too

Given how the news of them missing playoffs for the first time in forever has overshadowed stuff like "winningest team in league history", I obviously agree with the decision to move on from everyone, and yeah the results alone were deserving of it

Hextall was assumed gone and Burke going too seemed like a logical extension of that since both Hextall and Burke were lockstep in all their decisions here.

Sullivan staying isn't surprising but could be not great unless he fixes some of the garbage he did this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Some stats on the final 30 days of the 2022-2023 Oilers regular season.

Record: 14-0-1
GF/GA/GD: 67/33/+34
PP%: 36.4%(league leading)
GF/GP: 4,47(league leading)
GA/GP: 2.20(2nd overall)
Penalty kill net percentage :siren:102.3%:siren: