Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Does the NHL not want people to watch Connor in thebplayoffs? Games are all at 10eastern so 1020 puck drop. Even the games in Alberta so those start at 820 local.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Does the NHL not want people to watch Connor in thebplayoffs? Games are all at 10eastern so 1020 puck drop. Even the games in Alberta so those start at 820 local.

They don't even market him well in the regular season so what does your heart tell you

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They want them not competing with Leafs games.

Edit: Oh they're on opposite nights.

Yeah they just hate his stupid boring robot face probably.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Oh no, they don't market western conference teams for an east coast puck drop time. How dreadful.

Seriously, they're playing the LA Kings, why would they put the games on at 4pm local.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
As a fan in CST both coasts can eat dung

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

As a fan in CST both coasts can eat dung

Right? I get that there's a lot of people in the Eastern time zone, but if the game is being played in a place, play the game at the right time for that place. You can't expect a full rink at 4 or 5pm on a weeknight. It will be, but it's going to be a less than awesome fan experience. The couch surfers can just turn it on later. Give it a sense of time and place for it being in different places.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jhet posted:

Right? I get that there's a lot of people in the Eastern time zone, but if the game is being played in a place, play the game at the right time for that place. You can't expect a full rink at 4 or 5pm on a weeknight. It will be, but it's going to be a less than awesome fan experience. The couch surfers can just turn it on later.

Are these games in Edmonton that are starting at 8:20 local time? Or just that their games in LA are starting at 7pm pacific which is 8pm in Edmonton? The former would be weird, the latter is pretty normal.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Are these games in Edmonton that are starting at 8:20 local time? Or just that their games in LA are starting at 7pm pacific which is 8pm in Edmonton? The former would be weird, the latter is pretty normal.

The schedule isn't out completely yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did scheduling like that. A puck drop for 7-8pm in the playoffs seems normal to me. 8:20pm for a local puck drop is pushing being late. But maybe they're planning for an extra 20 minutes of winding up the fans or something.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jhet posted:

The schedule isn't out completely yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did scheduling like that. A puck drop for 7-8pm in the playoffs seems normal to me. 8:20pm for a local puck drop is pushing being late. But maybe they're planning for an extra 20 minutes of winding up the fans or something.

The game would end around 11 local time, that would be pushing it, especially if there were OT. I couldn’t imagine going to a game like that on a weeknight.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Ya those are local times for the Edmonton games

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The game would end around 11 local time, that would be pushing it, especially if there were OT. I couldn’t imagine going to a game like that on a weeknight.

It's not really that bad, but does push that late boundary. The Kraken-Vegas games last night dropped the puck about 7:40 and we were out by 10:10pm and home on the bus before 11pm. But 6pm puck drops are really obnoxious because you can't really get home, go out and eat, and make a night out of it. The 5pm Sunday game and the matinee games were the absolute worst, and the already tepid atmosphere in the rink was really flat.

There's really sort of a sweet spot for timing games and getting out of the range does mess it up.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm sorry, but if you have a problem staying up past 1 am to watch a 0-0 triple OT game on a Tuesday night, then you don't really "get" playoff hockey, and should probably go post in that other thread with all the loser fans.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The problem is triple overtime is gonna keep me up past 3am

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Simplex posted:

I'm sorry, but if you have a problem staying up past 1 am to watch a 0-0 triple OT game on a Tuesday night, then you don't really "get" playoff hockey, and should probably go post in that other thread with all the loser fans.

I don't think anyone is saying they'd have a problem with that, but thank you for your contribution

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

the talent deficit posted:

the isle weren't even using ltir space. they could have activated barzal anytime

*Lou hovering his palm over a button labeled "Activate Barzal" until the second they clinch playoffs*

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
getting upset about potential overtime games not in my time zone that haven't even happened yet and may never happen

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jhet posted:

Oh no, they don't market western conference teams for an east coast puck drop time. How dreadful.

Seriously, they're playing the LA Kings, why would they put the games on at 4pm local.

yeah this. Local fans still at work when playoff games start seems like a real dumb thing to do

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Simplex posted:

If you have a problem with ppl complaining about stuff then you don’t really “get“ this thread

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

WeaponX posted:

If you have a problem with ppl complaining about stuff then you don’t really “get“ this thread

to be fair all the fanbases with the loudest complainers are supposed to be in the other thread

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I never said the game should start at 4pm pacific. It should start at 7 local time in Edmonton. The Oilers had more national games in Canada than any other team. They're a draw and have the best player in the last 30 years. Sticking them on at a time when most adults and pretty much most kids east of the mountain time zone can't watch them is a bad idea.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
It’d honestly just be nice if 7PM start meant puck drop. Not 20 mins of stupid anthems and bullshit.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

It’d honestly just be nice if 7PM start meant puck drop. Not 20 mins of stupid anthems and bullshit.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Unless it’s Vegas, I love their schtick.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

I miss going to games that don’t have 5 minutes of opening loud video crap that’s basically the same every game except for the 20 seconds they spend talking about a player. But hey, gotta release the Kraken 3x a night to start the period.

Not that it matters to get people off the concourse for puck drop.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Cartoon Man posted:

desperately hoping for an animatronic dragon :pray:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I never said the game should start at 4pm pacific. It should start at 7 local time in Edmonton. The Oilers had more national games in Canada than any other team. They're a draw and have the best player in the last 30 years. Sticking them on at a time when most adults and pretty much most kids east of the mountain time zone can't watch them is a bad idea.

7 local is too early for their opponent’s fans, even if they’re much smaller.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Simplex posted:

Im gonna stay up to watch vegas and seattle and my team has been in the loser thread since October lets go playoff hockey :cool:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/capitals/status/1646985335295942659?s=46

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

all games should cater to Gods own timezone, EST

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Cartoon Man posted:

Forgot about this and willing to make an exception.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jon Irenicus posted:

all games should cater to Gods own timezone, EST

They already do. They put SCF games on at 5pm PST/8pm EST which means west coast fans have to take time off work to go to games rather than split the difference and start games at 5:30pm PST. I have lived in the eastern time zone for 16 years and I still find that idiotic.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Hell yeah now hire Boudreau

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

HookShot posted:

Hell yeah now hire Boudreau

Im honestly ok with this. Fun and gun hockey for the next two years to get Ovi’s record and who better to be coaching on that historic night.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
So the Kraken getting to play the Landeskog-less Aves is much better for them and LA having to play Edmonton, correct?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I dunno. The Avs certainly arent the buzz saw they were last year, but they are finally (mostly) healthy for the first time all season and are playing very good hockey. They arent going to be an easy match for anyone right now.

Meanwhile the Oilers have been playing healthy all year with some crazy good luck. It could easily continue into the playoffs but Playoff Reffing is still possibly their biggest weakness for any team that can take advantage of it.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

when the avs finally won the cup they immediately graduated to Tampa-tier, where they're expected to be competitive in the playoffs regardless of how the regular season has gone

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Not having Landeskog will hurt but teams that are hot over the last few months are basically always competitive in the playoffs. Three months ago, the Avs were 14 points behind Winnipeg who were fist in the Central, tonight they're 14 points ahead of Winnipeg. Avs were 31-7-4 (P% of 0.786) to finish the season and just won the division without Landeskog. They're not the team they were last year, but they're still a good team.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Krakev vs. Avs this season was 2-1 in favor of the Kraken, each game was decided by 1 goal and 1 was overtime.
Kraken vs. Oilers was 3-1 in favor of the oilers with a +9 goal differential.
So yeah I'd rather play the Avs.
Burukovsky just had another setback and they gave up and did surgery apparently though, so the Kraken don't have any real shot of winning a playoff series against anyone.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
well, the Colorado Avalanche are going to repeat as Stanley Cup champions, so,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Jon Irenicus posted:

*Lou hovering his palm over a button labeled "Activate Barzal" until the second they clinch playoffs*

"Lane, da time has come. Deploy da boy."