Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Every hour that Dubas continues with 12F 9D and Matt Murray ready to come back makes me increasingly nervous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hronek is good but... why

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Holy poo poo what robbery

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

it’s not that other teams wouldn’t match that price, it’s that Arizona held out on an insane price too long, everyone spent their picks, and then the Yotes reduced the price after a bunch of teams dropped out because they had to move Chychrun after holding him out for so long and had no leverage. The coyotes played themselves.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Imagine you're the Kings and you didn't trade much less for friggin Gavrikov and Korpisalo lmao

Every GM other than Dorion has to be insanely pissed at that franchise right now, it’s absurd. A masterclass in anti-bargaining

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I do wonder where Bertuzzi slots in immediately, I thought Debrusk was doing pretty well in the top 6 and at some point I imagine Taylor Hall comes back.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I really don't like Bertuzzi that much as a guy, with all the ant-vax poo poo, and I don't know where he fits in when everyone is healthy, but he's a decent player. He's older than I thought too, for some reason I thought he was like 25 but he's 28. He's on a cheap deal (less than 2.5M somehow) and only signed for another year, so I guess it's a decent playoff rental. They really want to win the cup this year.

E: Detroit fans seem to really like him from what I've been reading online. So maybe I will come around on him.

Detroit’s retaining 50%, his full cap hit is $4.75M, and he’s a UFA at the end of this season

I was reading that performance bonuses could lead Boston to have a pretty sizeable cap penalty next year so yeah, they’re really committed to winning this season cause it’s gonna be tough later

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

mcmagic posted:

They are losing picks for this right?

I can’t see why, the punishment is them not getting to make the recall and having to play with a short roster. It’s not the first time this has happened, iirc Calgary had to play short for a bit due to post-trade cap problems years back.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Albino Squirrel posted:

Hey, that's just like every arena in Canada when the home team plays the Leafs or the Habs!

Also Buffalo in the same circumstances

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I think our “poster close to the family” AsInHowe is confusing a medium-popular NYR fan account with some sort of aspiring journalist or insider that would be subject to the standard practices of cronyism and access reporting, sorta like how they try to break news here.

I think the rest of the thread has properly understood that an NHL employee attempting to bully random members of their fan base in order to silence dissent, and admitting to homophobic sympathies while doing so, is actually bad and outrageous.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

Schenn is supposedly starting on the "top" pair with Rielly.

Why is any of this happening.

Given Rielly’s play this year it would be nice if this was the Leafs third pairing, but alas

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I like that headline

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

JVR's a fine depth guy still but any team getting him is gonna have to pay a ton for retention, probably makes it not worth it

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Kyle

Kyle please

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

please, kyle

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Arivia posted:

What do you want? Maybe another goalie?

I would prefer Kerfoot be replaced with someone who actually does things or fits in somewhere. But yeah the plan could easily be to keep this roster and bring Knies in and call it a day.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Seriously though I don't know how they plan to manage rostering 9D every night and keep everybody they acquired fresh and happy, 11F 7D feels like a compromise not a real roster and that still means benching two of Timmins/Liljegren/Schenn/Gustafsson/Holl

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Who the gently caress is Dryden Hunt

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

People are calling JVR to the Wings but that makes no sense

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Look, they’re all good regular season teams, the only way this means anything is if the Leafs are also an outlier somewhere else… like say postseason win% or postseason powerplay%…

wait

oh no

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Kyle Dubas: *loads up on a ludicrous amount of defenders to insulate against injury*

Hockey gods:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1632816355664691202?s=20

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Dr Zaius posted:

Was catching up on this thread and saw that Blackhawks roster, immediately checked the score and that roster won 5-0 over Ottawa?? Hockey is loving strange.

The moment people started making fun of that roster I knew they’d pick up some wins this week because hockey is a terrible, random game where nothing matters

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I spent basically the entire first month of the season lamenting the play and ceilings of Sandin and Liljergren and I haven't really changed my views on that, but yeah it is a big problem that Keefe can't identify that there are worse players in that d corps he's giving a pass for some reason. Also the Leafs' worst defenseman this year is Morgan Rielly :ssh:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Leafs broadcast tonight starting with a discussion on how Auston Matthews “needs to get going” and never mentioning both he and the team repeatedly talking about a nagging injury, him sitting out the All Star game and multiple stretches this year because of it, and anyone watching him immediately being able to see that he doesn’t have his trademark wrister and is shying away from shooting opportunities, makes me wonder how much heat this debate would really garner if he was healthy and scoring at his pace from last year.

It’s a moot point though because it’s starting to feel like he’s not getting back to his old self any time soon.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Wow he really just goes right for it

Tony D gonna eat a suspension and Corey Perry taking a stick in the nuts is about as win/win as after the whistle bullshit can get

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Ginette Reno posted the rule that the puck can’t be directed/batted intentionally with any part of the body other than a stick, kicking motion deals directly with feet yeah but that rule covers the shin. Nylander definitely had a goal called off for heading it in which also falls under that rule, so it seems like the situation room just forgot about it?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I think the Oilers should play Jack Campbell against the Leafs on Saturday. Because it’s uh… the right thing to do, for him.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

fisting by many posted:

It is Oilers' legend Ben Scrivens with 59.

Hmm… former Leafs goaltender… was actually bad… playing for the Oilers when he set the record…

I’m seeing a flaw in my plan

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1634240721564647440?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

Ol Big Brain Keefe is at it again with those forward lines. Also what the gently caress is Wayne Simmonds doing back in the NHL god drat it Kyle.

I like the look of those D pairings though

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Morgan Rielly has nightmares of Connor McDavid turning him into a pylon on Hockey Night in Canada. Good odds it’ll happen again tonight!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

xzzy posted:

Someone should clue him into the fact that calorie availability goes up when you cook stuff.

Yeah someone tell him the reason he wants more of it after eating is that he’s still hungry because human digestive tracts aren’t good at processing raw meat and a significant amount of it is just passing through his system as bulk.

Don’t teams have trainers and nutritionists that would theoretically know this stuff and call him a dumbass fairly regularly?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

:wrong: it was McCabe! :owned:

Morgan Rielly’s number is 44

McDavid didn’t actually get behind the defence this time so it was only a half break

Half of 44 is 22, which is McCabe’s number

:tinfoil:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Sandin’s on-ice shooting percentage with the Caps is 20%, his PDO is 117.4, he’s below 50% in all percentages of xG, corsi, fenwick, scoring chances and high danger scoring chances (per natural stat trick). His offensive zone starts are nearly 70%.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The game Sandin played 30 minutes for WAS in he got exactly two defensive zone face offs, I’m assuming at least one was an icing.

I find it hard to believe the Caps coaching staff really see Sandin as a top option with the lengths they’ve gone to keep him out of his own end, especially against a top team they are sheltering the crap out of him.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

If we’re really going advanced stats his offensive xGF/60 RAPM over the past 3 seasons is the highest among all defensemen in the NHL. And his overall xG impact is 11th over that same period, behind only McAvoy, Toews, Fox, Weegar, Tanev, Slavin, Pelech, Spurgeon, Makar, and Demelo. That’s pretty drat good company.

Like all those context-free on-ice numbers with the Capitals ignore the fact that the Capitals suck poo poo this year so of course his on-ice Corsi is going to be sub-50% when he’s sharing the ice with the corpses of Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Oshie, etc for so much time. Of course his on ice numbers are still second best on the team behind only TVR (his D partner) so even then citing those numbers is kind of a weird way to criticize Sandin.

There’s a big difference between putting up eye-popping xG when you’re a third pair guy playing garbage minutes and doing it against real comp 20 minutes a night, as Hand Knit pointed out Sandin of the last three years is absolutely the “one of these things is not like the others” in those lists.

-e- don’t think I had the right tone, just gonna snip this part

Koopa Kid fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 12, 2023

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I’m actually gonna dial this back a little, I’m not trying to trash the player cause he does a lot of good things on the ice and Caps fans should be excited to add a young NHL guy. I just looked into this run he’s on because of the lol Leafs talk and I don’t think we’d be having this conversation if he wasn’t having the luckiest week and a half he’s ever had.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The fact that Vegas has managed to pull off all their weird bullshit and keep on humming in a league where most GMs are too conservative to even move UFAs they’re not going to extend is impressive

https://twitter.com/mikeystephens81/status/1635296374026809346?s=20

So the odds that Keefe puts Simmonds into the lineup G1 against Tampa despite not trusting him to play at all in the regular season are, what, 80%? Maybe 95?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

Who's coming out? Right now, 12th forward is Steeves, SDA or whatever so might as well throw in Wayne. But come playoffs, ROR should be back, they don't have to exile Holmberg anymore and hopefully Knies forces something which puts Simmonds at 15 at best.

Playoff bottom 6 probably going to be Kerf-Kampf-Jarnkrok, ZAR-Accari-Lafferty. Kampf/Acciari need to play C, Kerf and Jarnkrok PK, Laf is becoming a Keefe guy and ZAR isn't coming out for toughness reasons.

We're talking about a guy that scratched Jason Spezza, who had played 71 games last season, to start Kyle Clifford. The precedent is both recent and strong that it doesn't matter how much of a roster stalwart someone is when Keefe wants his punchers in.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

What Tanner Jeannot does to a mf

I'm not putting Tampa above playing 5D chess and acquiring a guy because they know other meathead coaches will compromise their rosters in response out of a desire to play tough or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/fakehockeyteam/status/1635357192563073024?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

Hey Rachel Doerrie’s writing stuff again. I wonder if most of these anecdotes about owner interference come from her recent experience working with a particular team