Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I’m pretty sure Canucks ownership have a ban on owning more than 1 pick per round. I was so close to thinking they had a long term plan.

Not to mention it’s going to gently caress with tanking. What is the advantage of doing this now compared with on the draft floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Like so many Canucks trades and decisions (OEL the exception), the actual trade in isolation is fine. The timing is always 3 years early.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Wait so the Canucks are giving up a draft pick that'll be like top 15 (probably) for Hronek? He's good but uhhh

If the Canucks held the pick yes it would likely be around 15th 2023. Now that they have traded it, congratulations to Detroit you just won the 2024 lottery!

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Simplex posted:

They gave up the Islanders conditional pick they got in the Horvat trade. It's going to be a mid to late first this year.

Yes, but the condition is it goes to 2024 if NYI are bottom 13. Not super likely but the islanders could be a lottery team with a Sorokin season ending injury. They could be this year still with him playing well.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

So the Canucks have are stuck going for it next season, with:
One star centre.
A centre who is actually a winger.
4 or 5 bottom line centres, half of these are probably actually wingers

About a dozen wingers who also seem to be actually really good when playing with Petey. “Middle 6” when not. Assume they will play the next ones up for a contract with Petey, and will then sign them to inflated contracts. Act surprised when said middle 6 wingers fail to put up points when being centred by a 4th line centre - and thus will buy them out.

One star defender
Another good defender who probably isn’t what Hughes needs in a partner.
Couple of ok 6/7 guys
A year older Myers/OEL for 15 million

Demko - maybe broken maybe fixed?

Yep. This is going to work.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

If you are holding someone out for trade reasons but can’t say (I’d say a wise decision on this case, to say and not go through would make Canucks Twitter explode), surely you go with illness and not a week to week injury.

Surely it’s more likely the Canucks doctors were looking at an X-ray upside down or something.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

At this point Im convinced the Canucks medical team are just some quack chiropractor and Duncan Keith's crystal healer.

It’s a legit question given Sutter while under team control was treating covid with horse drugs.

Edit: can anyone explain why OEL’s buyout starts with a year where you pay virtually nothing? https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/oliver-ekman-larsson
That seems like a trap perfectly designed to lure short term thinkers in…

VOTE1 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 3, 2023

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

grack posted:

The actual reason for this is that Sutter is a screaming loving moron.

Yeah but he’s a hockey player, teams controlling medical treatment generally seems like a good thing (Eichel case maybe the exception). But in that case the team was able to stop the player getting the treatment, we’re the Canucks just ok with him doing it?

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Thanks for that.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

It took the Canucks to March to be involved in a 2-1 game.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Well I’m about to go to bed (australia), when I wake up if JT Miller, OEL and Myers could all be on other teams that would be great.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Wippersnapper posted:

I don’t want the Canucks to win a Stanley Cup, I just want them to stop being embarrassingly stupid. How is this such a low bar and yet so unachievable?

If you take away the goal of actually winning the cup, the Canucks new management is actually pretty competent. Does trading a first for a RD help win a cup, probably not. Does it help them back into the mushy middle where they can play meaningful games in March, absolutely.

Given how poo poo the west is, I’d say the Canucks are good for 7-10th in the west for the next few years ( if they get even slightly above league average goaltending). Won’t win a cup, but it will make money, which is the actual goal.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

Is it okay to be pro-LGBT but be against wearing Pride jerseys if you don't feel like being a walking billboard for anything (ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, corporations, politicians, etc.). I am a human being, not a billboard.

If you’re playing for free, pretty sure that giant logo on the chest is a corporation, usually owned by a billionaire.. yes you’re very very good at hockey, but a substantial part of a nhl players salary is to be a billboard and sell stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

He's a good player but everyone recognized this is an far outside the norm. A lot of goals are just randomly going in for him at the moment driven primarily by Petey playing out of his socks well. Kuzmenko is probably a 25 goal a year guy moving forward, but that's still a great deal at $5.5m. He's got excellent hands, is pretty quick and scores all his goals from just outside the crease. It's not like he's a sniper goalies don't have a read on yet. Most of his goals are tap-ins in front.

One thing that will change is he will eventually stop getting so much space. I imagine most teams opposition scouting of the Canucks this year involved laughing at whatever dumb thing was on the news cycle for that week and then noting 40,43 pretty good and that’s about it. Once players have seen him/ video coaches have done more tape on him he’s going to no longer get so much open ice so close to the net.

Of course if he does draw heaps of attention that isn’t a bad thing, might mean Petey gets a bit of space back for himself.