Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ghost Bear might be really good for Carolina

if Tony DeAngelo could crush it for them I expect that he will be even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I thought Hronek was having a breakout season for Detroit? what happened?

**I mean it looks like a great trade to me for Vancouver.. Hronek will easily return that package in the future if he keeps his play up, and he could be a piece of their top 4 for 5+ years to come

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Man the thing that had me sick about the Stars potentially grabbing Chychrun was I thought for sure they'd have to give up one of their blue chip prospects.. I guess not (though the Stars don't have a 1st round pick in 2023 to trade so I guess it wasn't happening anyway).

Chychrun was the only player out there that I was really concerned about dropping the likes of Thomas Harley or Mavrik Bourque on, so I'm happy in a way that's off the table now and hopefully the Stars can roll forward with their system intact.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

a shorter and slower version of Denis Gurianov. Great!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

It's going to be so awesome for Texas hockey fans to have an in-state rivalry, Houston and San Antonio have always crushed the attendance numbers for their AHL teams (back when Houston had a team granted) and it's bizarre that the NHL hasn't seriously explored expansion into a metropolitan area of more than 7 million people up to this point.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

58 of his 124 points are on the powerplay. Probably doesn't help.

That said +/- is one of the most meaningless stats there is. One of the best +/- totals of this century is this dude in 2009-10

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/schulje02.html

Absolutely nobody should have considered him for the Hart or even the Norris ( he got some votes for the latter)

for most of his career McDavid has been pretty notably a poor player without the puck (but not nearly as bad as Draisaitl is) but he's largely turned that around this year and has been solid without the puck in addition to being the best player in the league with it.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

This is flat out wrong. At 3.03 goals against per 60 it is McDavid's 4th best 'actual' preventative season. 16/17 was his best with 2.14 goals against per 60 followed by 2.26 in 21/22. 2.72 GA/60 is 3rd best in 2017/18 then we reach this year which is roughly in line with 20/21s 3.07 GA/60. Finally 15/16, 18/19, and 19/20 seasons Conor had a truly bad 3.3 goals against per 60.

In terms of his expected outcomes it ranks as his 5th worse on a per 60 basis, but I'll spare the yearly split.

It's his best season ever by xG +/- at 5v5 play, his 5v5GA/60 over his career is almost entirely lined up with his on ice save percentage as well as the quality of the team and is effectively meaningless, I don't know why you're quoting it. Connor McDavid didn't have Jack Campbell playing alot of minutes behind him in 2016-17, the Oilers had an actual competent goaltender that year for once.

I also think comparing player performance on different years is problematic if you don't account for context based influences like linemates, the overall strength of the team, and what system the team is playing. The Oilers players this year under Jay Woodcroft might in general have higher xGA/60's than previous versions of the team under Dave Tippet or Todd McLellan because those coaches are known to prioritize limiting shot quality against whereas Woodcroft has (at times at least) seemed to lean more to a system that sacrifices structure to generate more offense, and the Oilers are now the 3rd best team in the league at generating xGF at 5v5 play whereas a few years ago they were middling or below average.. I don't think any of that stuff reflects on the effort level or the focus of the players, I was relaying what has been conveyed by people who follow the Oilers and have watched McDavid progress over his career into being a better overall player.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

McDavid is gonna win a cup real soon but I want it to be clear that even when he does he (and the entire city of Edmonton and everything Edmonton adjacent) is worthless trash.

you honestly think the Oilers are going to win a cup soon?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Ugh this took so long I forgot my freaking point. Oh right

1. Anyway you slice it Conor McDavic is a bottom 1/3rd forward in actual goals against as well as expected goals against. Whether this hurts or helps the Oilers cause of 'winning' is up to you. I remain of the opinion I'd prefer the super star outscore teams significantly 5v5 and score sick powerplay goals. YMMV.

Do you agree that McDavid's xGA numbers and specifically his rankings relative to the rest of the league have improved significantly based on the data set you have provided over the time period of the last 2 years compared to what he had done previously and that he's actually doing the best out of the 4 comparable forwards you have selected in 2022-23?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Apparently Matt Murray played a game for the Stars the other night? :confused:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=176241

**It's kind of funny how the first instance in the internet era of two players with identical legal names playing the same position during the same season happen to be two goaltenders, when there are so many more forwards or defenseman.

I'm sure it's happened before at some other point in time way back when, but probably nobody cared when you didn't have tables to populate with numbers ripped out of public databases.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 8, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Probably to prevent players from trying to kick the puck in the net because their shoes have sharp blades on them and that could lead to some injuries?

When I was refereeing local hockey when I was younger this is what they told us.. specifically kicking the puck in with your skate was banned to try and disincentive a situation where a player who's stick is tied up is kicking at a puck in the crease that a goaltender is trying to reach for with their glove hand.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Oilers are good awoooooo

I'll be the judge of that next Thursday evening when my Stars are in town to kick their rear end. So hyped up, my first Dallas game in a long while.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I love that a professional athlete got duped by the guy on YouTube who did poo poo loads of steroids and then said he was buff because he ate raw meat and slept on the ground.

well yeah when you put it like that it sounds like you'd have to be crazy to think he was legit, but you left out the submersing yourself in cold water once a day and touching trees and grass with your hands to commune with nature

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

yeah it's confusing that it's something that is apparently "not criminal" in nature but a violation of team rules.. and also involves 16 year old players being suspended for the rest of the season, but a relatively light suspension for the manager and coach (5 regular season games is a slap on the wrist in my opinion).

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Scruffy the janitor posted:

Is Otter broken? It feels like the stars have been giving up a whole lot of goals

yeah he has like a .880 save percentage since the start of February..

I mean luckily they've scored 4 or more in 10 of their last 12 games so it hasn't completely sunk the team lately, but man is it hard to look past right before playoffs. He might be out of gas, especially as he's played every single game but 1 since Wedgewood went down with injury.

Oettinger has been a very up and down goaltender throughout his career.. his track record was pretty much 2 amazing weeks followed by 2 bad weeks during his time in the AHL and in his first year with the Stars.. He caught absolute fire during the tail end of 2022 including the playoffs and for the first couple month of this season which kind of broke that trend, but this latest stretch will have people questioning whether he's truly arrived as a #1 goalie again. Hard to speculate how much of the performance issues are fatigue related and how much is your typical wild fluctuations in play that you get from virtually every non elite goaltender.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Stars just had their pride night and Evgeni Dadonov wore the jersey, no mention of any "legal problems" for him back home in Russia

It's complete bullshit lol. They are making it up out of whole cloth to pretend to have a reason to not do the pride night outside of "our players are bigots"

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I used to give Dallas so much poo poo for being literally the only team one year not to make even a twitter post in support of Pride or Hockey is for Everyone, they used to have the worst track record out of any team on these subject matters. Blows me away they had a pride night go off without a hitch yesterday night and all the players including Jamie loving Benn of all people vocally supported it.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Apparently the player is too afraid of the government to wear the Pride jersey but not afraid that the government will take action against him or his family for publicly stating that he's afraid of them to the western media? Like if you were actually afraid that the Russian government might hurt your family wouldn't you just say "uhhh can't wear the jersey, religious beliefs" like all the rest?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I will say I was loudly proclaiming that Florida won the trade because they acquired a star player in his young prime for two pending UFA's they likely wouldn't keep any longer than the next season anyway (massive upgrade in asset under team control). The perception however was that Calgary did waaaaay better than expected in the deal because they were perceived to have no leverage at all and there were rumors going around that they were going to end up having to trade Tkachuk for like.. Denis Gurianov and a 1st round draft pick or some other garbage 5 cents on the dollar style package, and Florida was mocked for giving up "way more" than they necessarily had to given Calgary's desperate position.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I can see it now: Friday night. Buffalo @ Columbus in a win and get in game for them against the worst team in the league.

Sabres get clowned 8-2 and miss the playoffs, Columbus falls to second in the draft order.

Quote this post when it happens.

that happened to Dallas like 12 years ago.. during one of the bankruptcy seasons.. Chicago had 97 points and lost their last game of the regular season earlier in the day to leave the door wide open for Dallas at 95 points to make the playoffs with a win at home against an awful Minnesota team that had lost like 17 of it's previous 20 games. Dallas lost the game 5-3 and missed the playoffs.

I think that was probably the game that single handily crack pinged the brains of what was left of the Dallas Stars fanbase from the 2000's and sent them into the abyss lol

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

lol that Hartman hit was complete trash and arguably a hit on a defenseless player / an attempt to injure. Ehlers was not looking to hit Hartman there, and Hartman was the one who completely changed his trajectory to drive his shoulder in Ehlers chin. Ehlers was obviously back checking there attempting to get back into a play that was already heading up the ice towards his own blueline. At no point was Ehlers eligible to be hit in that position. Throw the book at Hartman, what a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

^^oh what the hell

Cocaine Bear posted:

Nm

E: since I'm here, Stars are 1 point ahead on Colorado with only one remaining. Unfortunately, Colorado has the tie breaker since Dallas just refuses to win in OT. Stars need a win tonight and for Colorado to only take 2 points total in their next 2. Colorado has Winnipeg tonight and Nashville tomorrow so it's possible they lose one of those in regulation, but I'm not banking on it. Dallas did best the snot out of the blues last night but the back to back doesn't help either. Honestly not sure who I'd rather play between the Wild and the Kraken. Minnesota has faltered a bit down the stretch but they're still playing well. Either way, if they get out of the first, they're likely playing the avs which would be a fun series again.

GO STARS!

This is actually wrong apparently, I just found out today myself that the first tiebreaker now is Regulation wins only - not Regulation + OT. So Dallas actually has the tiebreaker on Colorado as the Avs only have 34 regulation wins to the Stars 38.

The Stars will win the central division if they beat St. Louis (again!) and Colorado loses in any fashion to either Winnipeg or Nashville

Actually came here to post this:

https://twitter.com/BruceLeVinePuck/status/1646316608971784193

The king of US hockey! Sorry Auston Matthews your time in the sun is over.

**Everyone cheer for Jason Robertson to score 7 points tonight so he can claim the all time franchise single season point record from the hands of Bobby Smith of the Minnesota North Stars!

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 13, 2023