Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Please save the remaining fun trades for Thursday night at the earliest, I am busy all day tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

What the gently caress

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mike Works posted:

WE ARE IN 6TH LAST IN THE LEAGUE, LET'S RETOOL ON THE FLY BABY, GOTTA GET RID OF OUR CAPTAIN BECAUSE WE SIGNED THIN BLUE LINE GUY, OH gently caress GOTTA TRADE THIN BLUE LINE GUY THAT CONTRACT IS TOO BIG WHO GAVE HIM THAT

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He's not even signed long term we have to figure out how to pay him and Pettersson with all the piss rear end contracts on the books after next year. Why would you ever trade for a guy who got bridged? He'll be pissed and want his money, doubly so on a new team he has no loyalty to.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

HE COST LESS THAN HRONEK??????????

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

Why the gently caress didn't the Canucks go for him?

The difference is the 2nd can become a top 10 protected first if they make the ECF THIS YEAR WHICH THEY WILL NOT DO. That's the total difference in value between the trades.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

"Wow our team has so many holes in the lineup because we repeatedly fail to hold onto draft picks to develop good young players in critical positions! I guess the only solution is to trade more draft picks to fill those holes!"

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

btw hronek is also hurt

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tarbrush posted:

I have missed the Hronek trade between threads, what was it?

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1631048553299599364?s=20

i stopped feeling anything anymore i hate my team so much

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thinking about how the Canucks are already over the cap for next year

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wippersnapper posted:

Being a Canucks fan is an emotional rollercoaster. Just today I told someone how happy I was that they finally seemed to be embracing being bad but hey uhh…

I say this admitting I know nothing about Hroneck and he might be good but if the Islanders miss the playoffs ugh

He's an offensive 2nd pairing guy who will no longer be a first pp unit guy in Vancouver who is weak defensively. He's a 2nd unit PKer on an average PK team. He's a poor possession player and generally tries to lead the breakout, so you can't really pair him with Hughes. Other than the incredibly facile "he shoots right" what niche does he fill? So does Tyler Myers and Ethan Bear. He's far closer to them in talent than Hughes.

His numbers are going to fall off a cliff in Vancouver, but because of past production they'll sign him to a 6x$6.75m extension this summer. He doesn't pair well with Hughes on paper at all, so once again we have another middle pairing guy making too much money without a clear role.

What they want is Erik Cernak who, while similar on paper, is actually good and fills a real need. What they got is Damon Severson. This reeks of Canucks management seeing him having strong games in those back to backs against the Canucks last month and thinking "there's our solution!"

Allvin made a huge point about trading Horvat for the highest first round he could get, then unloaded it immediately without even knowing what it became. Why didn't he just take the best package if he didn't intend to keep the pick? Raty clearly sucks so he can't have been the centerpiece or christ our pro scouting is worse than I thought. What is the direction of this drat team because I don't think anyone knows anymore.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Please god may this be the pens clearing space for one of the Canucks salary mistakes I can't take any more hockey misery

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1631084653372137472?t=oGd-t77x9Jvq2y2xACZnYg&s=19

Boy I can't wait to be kicked in the stomach again!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

heehee posted:

i loving hate the canucks.

Same

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Pens have cleared out $4m of cap space in the past hour

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I hate my team so God drat much

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Pens can't afford Boeser anymore

Like that's it, that was the Canucks deadline folks.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

No it does not Mr allvin unless it's the return on a Boeser or Miller trade. No one, and I mean no one, is in favour of you accelerating the rebuild again.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

O/U on "trickle in after the deadline" references on tradecentre set at 4.5

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

VOTE1 posted:

Well I’m about to go to bed (australia), when I wake up if JT Miller, OEL and Myers could all be on other teams that would be great.

Sweet dreams, I am sorry for the nightmares when you wake.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Dreger just said live on air it was multiple high picks. A chance to get the biggest mulligan in league history and they said no. loving Christ.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Vancouver turning down a bounty for JT MILLER.

Calgary yet to make a trade this entire season and gonna miss the playoffs.

A GOOD DAY

There are no hockey gods

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

There are, but they are cruel and uncaring and have been personally spurned by aquilini

What must I do to win back their favour?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

Sacrifice your first round pick in Stanley Park

I will begin construction of the pyre and hope this is an Abraham/Isaac kinda deal

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I wonder what "multiple high picks" for Miller meant. I can't imagine Hextall is insane enough to pay two firsts so Miller, so it was probably a first and a second and Vancouver was not going to do any retention.

If there was a first round pick offered for Miller in any way you take it in a second that's so insane they said no.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Miller would have been a fun addition. The contract is forever but I wouldn't have minded that because the Pens will suck in a few years anyways and they could always flip him again with retention after Crosby and Malkin retire.

Miller to his hometown team was a fun win-win scenario. They will not get another shot to trade Miller now. How did the Canucks blow that? I am in awe at the absolute idiocy management has shown. They are worse than Benning at this point. How did I have even a second of optimism?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I wouldn't completely close the door on that. If the Pens get bounced in the first round or fail to make the playoffs at all they might try to do something big in the off season.

I doubt Hextall survives another quick exit so no, that was it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

heehee posted:

i am in actual physical pain because of the canucks

I have transcended to a higher plane of suffering than mere physical pain. This is a relentless, piercing anguish previously unknown to humankind.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

What is worse and yet also more reprehensible than dogshit garbage? Covid virons? The Canucks are that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Number19 posted:

It’s amazing to me that once again the Canucks management believes that are a couple of pieces away from contention. Every year they are just a couple of pieces away. No one is fooled and the rest of the league knows how badly run this team is and are happy to take advantage of it.

The only thing which will work is for the fans to walk away and they seem like they are getting ready to do that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po4adxJxqZk

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/BatchHockey/status/1631762842885169152?t=nKwOQ85w08Kp_x2WaPLv3Q&s=19

GM discovers only two uses of draft picks

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

What else would you do with draft picks as a rebuilding team other than "draft hockey players"

I'm assuming they can be used to shoot back smug replies to reporters who ask about frequently raised concerns among the fanbase. Allvin needs a real PR guy because he comes across as an aloof, unlikeable jerk when you put a mic in front of him. Tbh that's likely accurate to his personality.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Why should anyone care what non NHL fans think? The game can either grow or not but it won't really have any effect on the league outside putting money in the owners' pockets.

NHL fans are always so worried about perception or what non NHL fans think and really who gives a poo poo.

Ah I see, putting the best player in three decades in the crappiest pro sports market in North America is good because he's on your favourite team. Got it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The mindset of "gearing up to make the playoffs" is such a frustrating trap bad teams get into. The Sens and Sabres are improving, that's fantastic. But they aren't in the playoffs yet. It's a natural tendency for people to project upwards except, while there will be some measure of internal growth, other players will be injured or noticeably decline. Hockey is generally little more than a zero sum game.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say Ottawa or Buffalo will make the playoffs next year, but neither is anywhere close to being a consistent threat. Look at what Detroit is doing. They are in a very similar position yet Yzerman was sold and was adamant he wasn't going to deviate from that. He recognizes that improvement is very much not linear and staking too much on one surprisingly successful season can completely derail forward momentum (see everything the Canucks have done since the bubble).

There are just 16 playoff teams, literally just half the league these days. If you can honestly look at the rosters of every team in your division and say "we are one of the top three on paper" then you can probably proceed with the reasonable expectation of making the playoffs. If you aren't, you're in the wildcard race at best. If you haven't been a regular in the playoffs to that point, you're not likely to suddenly make the necessary jump to a contender straight away. There's a couple years of playoff heartbreak before that point.

Playing well for 25 games shouldn't make anyone lose sight of the bigger picture. If Ottawa en Buffalo squeeze in this year and then challenge for a divisional spot next year, then party is on. Otherwise, caution should very much be the name of the game with those franchises. It sucks to keep waiting, but what's one more year when you're waited ten?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

Flames got booed off home ice and have a 3% shot at Bedard now so things are going well.

The first trade of 100pt scorers in league history destroyed two franchises simultaneously. I guess we're not going to see another one now.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tomanton posted:

So what's up with Jack Campbell exactly? At the start of the year I heard he was Bad, but then he was Good for awhile and now he is Bad again apparently

He is a backup goaltender with the yips being paid $5m a year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Why have Florida struggled so much this year? They seem to have come out on top of the Tkachuk/Huberdeau trade and Bob/Knight have provided seemingly perfectly adequate (albeit unexpectional) goaltending. Their offence has been good with only Bennett and Reinhart seeing any sort of significant drop from last year (and even then it's not like they fell off a cliff or anything). Their GAA is somehow 23rd in the league but aside from the loss of Weegar their D is pretty much the same as last year.

What's going on? I know they overreacted and fired Brunette and replaced him with Maurice who isn't great but there's got to be more going on there. I can't believe coaching can be solely responsible for a drop of what looks to be 30 standings points year over year. Were they just playing way over their heads in 2022?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

No not really. Maurice just really is that bad. He was a mediocre coach on the best day of his life and the game passed him by a decade ago.

There's only so much a coach can do in hockey. This isn't the NFL where playbooks can have a significant impact on team performance. A bad coach can harm a roster a bit, but it doesn't override talent completely. The most direct input a coach can have is line combinations and usage, and there's nothing to suggest Maurice is doing anything outlandish there. Even a system will have a minimal impact and takes more than a few months to implement. Plus if it's not working the players will just default back to what did. I also don't think Andrew Brunette was anything special coaching wise. There's something larger going on than just coaching.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I rather think coaches are like goalies--mostly fungible at the NHL level, but if you don't have an NHL-competent one it is really painful, which causes them to be overrated as a group.

Florida has a totally NHL-incompetent coach. What you say is true as a rule but they are the exception.

Maurice isn't a great coach by any stretch of the imagination but he's had success in the past including quite recently with Winnipeg. Maybe he just doesn't mesh with the players in Florida but it's not like he drives high end rosters into the toilet everywhere he goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hellebuyck was really propping him up in Winnipeg for the couple of playoff years. As for high end rosters, this is the first time he's ever had one. (If you buy that this is actually a high end roster and not just insanely lucky last year.)

Even if you take a more favorable view of Maurice than I do, he is what he has always been--if you give him .380 talent, he'll go .500, and if you give him .620 talent, he'll go .500. It's the same thing I said the day they hired him, that they'd win right about half their games this year because that's what Paul Maurice teams almost always do unless they get great goaltending. Lo and behold, today they are 31-33.

Maurice had a .576 P% with Winnipeg including three seasons over .600 (they had 52 wins with him in 17-18!). He's a lot of things but he certainly hasn't been a guy that's only managed a .550 record each year. It's apparent he's not meshing with Florida, but it's just narrative to say that he always drags down good teams.