Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Ghost Bear might be really good for Carolina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They're about to trade Tyler Myers to the Penguins and Hronek's to replace him in the lineup

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mike Works posted:

WE ARE IN 6TH LAST IN THE LEAGUE, LET'S RETOOL ON THE FLY BABY, GOTTA GET RID OF OUR CAPTAIN BECAUSE WE SIGNED THIN BLUE LINE GUY, OH gently caress GOTTA TRADE THIN BLUE LINE GUY THAT CONTRACT IS TOO BIG WHO GAVE HIM THAT

Sometimes I hate the thread title length limit. This is one of those times.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jim Rutherford does not like having draft picks, and the higher they are the more he hates having them

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Are you not allowed to like top-5 protect another team's pick when you trade it to a third team, or are you and Rutherford just didn't bother about it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm... surprised Hextall didn't top that for Chychrun and morbidly fascinated to see what he's about to pay for J.T. Miller or Tyler Myers.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I feel like the Canucks getting Bedard is the cruelest thing that could possibly happen for Canucks fans everywhere, most prominently Connor Bedard.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Blues just moved Pareyko like yesterday didn't they

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

that's so brutal. it's the most Canucks thing ever to start making a few decent acquisitions, flirt with a bit more of a rebuild, then just make an awful "rebuild on the fly" trade. pure lucy-pulling-away-the-football.

also Hextall should be fired on the spot for that. that is inexcusable not to find a way to get that one. i would be so pissed if I was Sid/Malkin.

If Arizona really made not taking any salary back an absolute requirement then there was nothing Hextall, or almost any other buyer-team GM, could do.

I am getting a little panicky that the Penguins really are about to trade for Tyler Myers. The Canucks suddenly acquiring a RD for no apparent reason has made my blood pressure spike

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Can you imagine the horror of Dumoulin/Myers

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Did I mention the rumors that Jeff Petry is in play?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

With the signing all the old guys and then trading away our good young defenseman on a great contract for an ancient one on a bad contract, I'm starting to think Hextall doesn't have a loving plan for what he's doing

I'm starting to think they're mostly not Hextall's decisions.

e: no I'm lying, I have always assumed they are not Hextall's decisions and there is very little evidence that I am wrong. Just about every roster decision the Pens have made the past two years has Brian Burke written all over it.

Anyway, Granlund. He is not better than Blueger, for more than twice the price, and his skillset both strengths and weaknesses is exactly what the Pens already have too much of.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 2, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

You are wrong because Burke would be torching first rounders left and right. Every single move has been so ponderously conservative with a 'we can't torch the future for this year' written all over them while Sid and Geno get closer and closer to retirement. It's 100% Hextall. You think Brian Burke would resign the floaty, enigmatic, and often disengaged European winger? Come on.

You mean the one they just got rid of?

Yes it is probable that the reluctance to part with first rounders is Hextall's influence. Definitely. But if you look at the actual players the Penguins have discarded, acquired, and re-signed the past couple years, almost every transaction has made the team older and slower. That's Burke all over. I feel pretty confident that as time has gone on Burke has gotten more and more involved and eventually The Athletic will publish a 15,000 word piece about how much he and Hextall hated each other by the end.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

<--- still vehemently approves of the Penguins not trading draft picks for vets that don't move the needle

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pens fans have lost their minds. We've reached the final tantrum spiral stages of Boatmurdered. All burn.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm at least glad they didn't trade for Tyler Myers.

Yet!

e: or extend Dumoulin. Yet!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Can't speak for the rest of PAS that's going batshit right now but as for me, they won three Cups in the Crosby era. Even if they never get near another Cup in my lifetime, that'll kinda suck but still totally worth it for the ride from December 2015 to June 2017. And just the privilege of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang all playing for my favorite team their whole careers at the same time. Most hockey fans will live long lives and die without ever being that lucky. So yeah the next ten years are going to be, to put it very mildly, Not Fun, but there's still Youtube and the SAS archives to relive the glory days on command.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to spend the rest of this season rooting for my favorite hockey team, Whoever's Playing The Bruins. They're having a real bad year.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Sure but like, it's not just "this era". I was born in 1990 and in my lifetime no one has more cups than Pittsburgh. Some of the greatest NHL players of all time were Penguins in that time period. Pittsburgh is probably the most successful franchise (in terms of on-ice performance) of the last 30+ years but trading a nothing draft pick for a guy who will probably be perfectly fine sends the fanbase into histrionics

Despite the unfortunate last 5 years, that would still be the Red Wings. But yeah the Pens are right there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lemieux returning in 2000 was the most insane loving thing. I was in college and was friendly with a hockey playing Pens fanatic girl at the time. So great.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Bure and the Sedins and Luongo were cool and good but... yeah. :(

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Blueger is a competent and versatile bottom six forward. Doesn't do much creating or finishing but he can drive play and has a clue in his own end. Good depth pickup for a playoff team. The Penguins were making him look worse than he is because he's been playing on lines where none of the three players can create and or finish and often also with the indescribably play-dragging corpse of Brian Dumoulin, and also were taking a lot of D starts.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

like Eric said, and also he was a huge part of the Penguins PK so if the Knights are trying to give Karlsson easier assignments they should be able to free him up to focus on the offensive duties

The Pens just blithely discarded Blueger to replace him with Granlund, meanwhile Dumoulin will continue playing 20+ a night, and I won't at all be surprised if their PK is bottom 5 in the league the rest of the way. In fact I'll be pretty surprised if it isn't.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

And yeah, I've defended Burxstall insofar as the Pens' window is firmly closed now and it's stupid to trade draft picks for veterans now. But like everyone else I cannot comprehend the point of acquiring Mikael Granlund at all. He does absolutely nothing the Penguins need.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nah, he won't. Someone else might, but Hextall will be fired this spring. My biggest fear though is that Hextall gets fired and Burke doesn't.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

McGinn is not as good as Blueger

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah if Pastrnak decided to hit the open market and get every last dollar he could, even with the rampant collusion in the NHL, he'd get $13M/year easy

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Really loving glad we nickel and dimed franchise legend Evgeni Malkin so that we could eventually bring in Mikael Granlund to make one million dollars less than him in cap and put out on ice impacts worse than Jeff Carter.

I hope Granlund proves me wrong but I don't think he will

Even if Granlund ends up playing better than I expect him to, it still won't make the Pens a better team. That's what gets me.

Ultimately though none if it matters if they're not willing to get rid of Dumoulin. They cannot be a good team with him in the lineup.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Bruins winning the Cup is only a foregone conclusion if Linus Ullmark continues to be vintage Dominik Hasek all the way through late June. (He won't.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Real shame Teddy Blueger is off the market now

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Awesome, the oldest team in the NHL gets even older

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Vancouver: "no, we need a center"

Also Vancouver: trades a high 1st for a defenseman

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nice of Rutherford to save the Pens from their lame duck GM's flailing stupidity though, Rutherford owed them a solid after the debacle of his last couple years there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Getting the band together for one last hurrah.

Now do Phil Kessel

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The level of betrayal I felt when the Canucks announced they'd refused a Get Out Of Miller Free card plus a couple picks tore something away from me that I'll never be able to recover. It tore away my ability to respect anything, and it tore away my ability to feel human.

(Bottom line, Rutherford just gave him that contract less than a year ago and no way in hell was he going to admit this soon that he'd made a gigantic mistake)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

The only bit of news we've heard about FSG's thinking at all is that they asked Hextall what his plan was (he allegedly told them he didn't have it in writing and that it was in his head :laffo: ) and they also apparently really like Mike Sullivan and were impressed with him when they met him.

I love Sullivan as a coach but if he's going to gain significant control over personnel that's a bad moon rising IMO. It might be time for him to move on.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If the Pens really offered 2 firsts then they had to be insisting on significant retention. Had to.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

T-Bone posted:

Man the Pens having their dad's trip during the deadline has gotta be weird. Poor McGinn dad

Was Sami Kapanen gonna be there?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Always great how the fans of every single team not in the top four in its conference at any given time passionately believe the GM is an idiot and borderline criminal and should be fired a month ago.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

After reading that article, I looked at the Flyers CapFriendly page and saw that they acquired a UFA rental in Brendan Lemieux and didn't trade UFAs JVR and Justin Braun. They have their own 1st this year, but their 2nd was traded for Ristolainen. They have an extra 3rd from trading Justin Braun at the deadline last year, as well as from the Giroux trade, but they traded their own 3rd away in the DeAngelo trade. They also have an extra 4th (Brassard) and 6th (Patrick Brown) this year. They also traded their 2nd and 5th next year.

Oof, that's a rebuild?

Never fear, Chuck Fletcher has a plan. It's a secret plan. In fact it's so secret that not even he knows what it is. But it's gonna blow your mind like whoooooaaaaa. You're in good hands, Flyers fans.

e: god loving drat it why is every post I make either the 40th or the 1st post on a page :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tampa continues to somehow stay lowkey but legit the dirtiest team in the league