Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Danny LaFever posted:

Holmes drafts are always fun. Four drafts now and I really have no idea what to expect. He moves up and down the board, takes guys earlier than consensus and then grabs guys that fall.

His body of work says he's one of the best in the business at it. I'm curious how the British Columbian Uni lineman pans out, because they paid a lot for him and he probably won't play this year, so people are going to question it. Hope Fraley can work his magic because his measurables and athleticism are ridiculous. I'm also curious how Fipps will use that safety/rb/special teamer they got. The new ST rules could turn him into a real weapon.

I'm also surprised Mahogany fell that far. Maybe his medicals scared teams off, otherwise that one could make some other teams look stupid.

The thing with the draft is that I feel like a good 90% of players that bust just got stuck with a lovely system or coaching. Detroit (at least on offense and ST) has great coaches, so the players are hits. This is the year to see if the D coaches are any good. They literally have no more excuses. The defense has talent and depth in every spot, if they can't make it work then they don't deserve jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Wondering what the timeline is for Brodric's development.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Is Bryce Young not worth DJ Moore, Darnell Wright, Tyrique Stevenson, Caleb Williams, and a 2025 second-round pick???

Only time will tell. Im sure somebody is still on the fence about this trade.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Parallelwoody posted:

Wondering what the timeline is for Brodric's development.

He was drafted as a project, but if he can't get in the rotation this year then that's a red flag.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

This is the first draft in my time as a Lions fan where you’re looking at these picks and thinking “oooo it’s gonna be fun to see how this guy develops!” rather than “gently caress we really need these 4th and 5th rounders to step up and fill a hole year 1..”

Feels like this is how real teams use the draft. With the exception of the 2 CB’s, this feels like a class of fun swings (that could of course pay off massively in the future)

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm bored and simultaneously trying to ignore Monday's approach and procrastinate on house chores, so here's my projection for the Packers depth chart on Week 1.

Names are listed in order of starter --> backup --> third-string backup. Starters bolded, rookies in italics, UDFAs and players I don't think will make the final 53-man roster excluded. Ages as of the start of the season in parentheses after the name. Unsurprisingly, the roster is staying extremely young, so we might have another slow start to the season ahead of us. On the other hand, someone made a good point that our rookies are unusually old compared to who we've brought in the past few years.

Speaking of those 11 rookies, I'm projecting that 10 make the roster and 2 are Week 1 starters. Defense in particular is tough to gauge given the switch from a 3-4 to 4-3. It'll be fun to look back at this after training camp to see all the things I got wrong.

QB (3): Jordan Love (25), Sean Clifford (26), Michael Pratt (22)
Even if Pratt has a good training camp and preseason, I doubt we cut Clifford. If not, then we probably cut Pratt and move him to the practice squad.

RB (3): Josh Jacobs (26), MarShawn Lloyd (23), A. J. Dillon (26)
Maybe Dillon nominally gets the second slot in the running back depth chart, but I think he's already kind of washed and that Lloyd will get more carries than him this season. If it's really bad, I could even see us keep Wilson instead of Dillon, or maybe sign a street free agent after roster cutdowns.

WR (6): Jayden Reed (24), Christian Watson (25), Romeo Doubs (24), Dontayvion Wicks (23), Malik Heath (24), Samori Toure (26)
At this point, I don't think Watson is our #1; he might actually be behind Doubs. I was a little surprised we didn't draft a rookie here, but the whole position group is so ridiculously young that it makes sense. I'm assuming we're going to have one or two guys regress, so maybe one of them don't make it and Melton or DuBose does instead.

TE (3}: Luke Musgrave (24), Tucker Kraft (23), Tyler Davis (27)
Not much to note here. Maybe Ben Sims goes on the practice squad.

OT (4): Rasheed Walker (24), Zach Tom (25), Jordan Morgan (23), Caleb Jones (25)
I expect Travis Glover to go on the practice squad, although if Dillard doesn't make the roster then Glover probably does. Unless Morgan looks incredible from the get-go, I don't think they'll move Tom inside to start the season. However, I do expect Tom to be the center and Myers to be benched by midseason.

OG (4): Elgton Jenkins (28), Sean Rhyan (23), Royce Newman (27), Andre Dillard (28)
About the only player I don't expect to move is Jenkins, which is funny because he was kind of the prototype for our current fascination with versatile o-linemen. I think they're going to try to resurrect Dillard as a guard, which he's done a bit of before.

C (2): Josh Myers (26), Jacob Monk (23)
Long-term, the plan has to be replacing Myers here. I'm skeptical that'll happen by Week 1 though.

DT (4): Kenny Clark (28), Devonte Wyatt (26), Karl Brooks (24), Tedarrell Slaton (26), Colby Wooden (23)
Guessing we would put Colby Wooden on the practice squad.

DE (5): Rashan Gary (26), Lukas Van Ness (23), Preston Smith (31), Kingsley Enagbare (24), Brenton Cox Jr. (24)
Maybe wishful thinking for Van Ness to become a bigger part of the edge-rush rotation than Smith this year, but fingers crossed.

LB (5): Quay Walker (24), Edgerrin Cooper (22), Isaiah McDuffie (25), Ty'Ron Hopper (23), Eric Wilson (29)
I'm assuming that we're playing mostly nickel and only have two linebackers as regular starters.

CB (6): Jaire Alexander (27), Carrington Valentine (23), Eric Stokes (25), Keisean Nixon (27), Corey Ballentine (28), Kalen King (21)
Can't wait to see if the magical hamstring injury prevention technique we discovered works for Stokes and Watson. I'm excited about King and believe he'll stick.

S (5): Xavier McKinney (25), Javon Bullard (22), Anthony Johnson Jr. (24), Kitan Oladapo (23), Evan Williams (23)
I think Johnson Jr was decent enough last season in limited action to hang on to what's otherwise a total overhaul of the position. Also, I don't expect the talk about some of these safeties moving to corner to pan out unless King fails to make the roster or we have multiple injuries at corner.

LS (1): Matthew Orzech (29)
K (1): Greg Joseph (30)
P (1): Daniel Whelan (25)
I'm guessing Carlson does not bounce back.

Would love to see post-draft projections for other teams in the division! This was fun to think through.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Unfortunately Minnesota was in desperation mode. They had to get a QB. I'm not sold on JJ. Everything about him screams smug prick who's had it easy. I would be unsurprised if he was overwhelmed when he is finally asked to run an NFL offense.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Darth Brooks posted:

Unfortunately Minnesota was in desperation mode. They had to get a QB. I'm not sold on JJ. Everything about him screams smug prick who's had it easy. I would be unsurprised if he was overwhelmed when he is finally asked to run an NFL offense.

He's engaged to his high school sweetheart and played hockey. if thats not #character i dont know what is

Danny LaFever posted:

Holmes drafts are always fun. Four drafts now and I really have no idea what to expect. He moves up and down the board, takes guys earlier than consensus and then grabs guys that fall.

His body of work says he's one of the best in the business at it. I'm curious how the British Columbian Uni lineman pans out, because they paid a lot for him and he probably won't play this year, so people are going to question it. Hope Fraley can work his magic because his measurables and athleticism are ridiculous. I'm also curious how Fipps will use that safety/rb/special teamer they got. The new ST rules could turn him into a real weapon.

I'm also surprised Mahogany fell that far. Maybe his medicals scared teams off, otherwise that one could make some other teams look stupid.
In the free press it said he he's going to be a RB/ special teamer, not a safety. Which is the opposite of what was in Dane Brugler's guide, which said he was an in the box safety who played like a scud missile, to paraphrase.

Also quoted Brad Holmes as saying Rakestraw "I kinda felt the dog exuding out of him" which is a great quote

I'm learning to just accept whatever they do in spite of the ignoring conventional positional stuff and all that. The character and loving football first philosophy seem to have worked. Since so much of football is about the synergy of a lot of guys and not just individual brilliance, it really seems to makes sense. Plus you want players who work with the style of your coach

When I saw the Mahogany pick I was like, that's a good team esque "we found a guy no one else found neener neener " pick. Like SF and Philly with the rugby guys

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 29, 2024

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Dejan Bimble posted:

He's engaged to his high school sweetheart and played hockey. if thats not #character i dont know what is

He just needs to form cordial but emotionally guarded bonds with his coworkers while absolutely refusing to make any actual friends as an adult and he'll truly be one of us

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cognac McCarthy posted:

He just needs to form cordial but emotionally guarded bonds with his coworkers while absolutely refusing to make any actual friends as an adult and he'll truly be one of us

Talk to them about local sports for 10 years and not know the names of their wives or kids, or have ever spend a second with them outside of work, yeah

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

surf rock posted:

I'm bored and simultaneously trying to ignore Monday's approach and procrastinate on house chores, so here's my projection for the Packers depth chart on Week 1.

Names are listed in order of starter --> backup --> third-string backup. Starters bolded, rookies in italics, UDFAs and players I don't think will make the final 53-man roster excluded. Ages as of the start of the season in parentheses after the name. Unsurprisingly, the roster is staying extremely young, so we might have another slow start to the season ahead of us. On the other hand, someone made a good point that our rookies are unusually old compared to who we've brought in the past few years.

Speaking of those 11 rookies, I'm projecting that 10 make the roster and 2 are Week 1 starters. Defense in particular is tough to gauge given the switch from a 3-4 to 4-3. It'll be fun to look back at this after training camp to see all the things I got wrong.

QB (3): Jordan Love (25), Sean Clifford (26), Michael Pratt (22)
Even if Pratt has a good training camp and preseason, I doubt we cut Clifford. If not, then we probably cut Pratt and move him to the practice squad.

RB (3): Josh Jacobs (26), MarShawn Lloyd (23), A. J. Dillon (26)
Maybe Dillon nominally gets the second slot in the running back depth chart, but I think he's already kind of washed and that Lloyd will get more carries than him this season. If it's really bad, I could even see us keep Wilson instead of Dillon, or maybe sign a street free agent after roster cutdowns.

WR (6): Jayden Reed (24), Christian Watson (25), Romeo Doubs (24), Dontayvion Wicks (23), Malik Heath (24), Samori Toure (26)
At this point, I don't think Watson is our #1; he might actually be behind Doubs. I was a little surprised we didn't draft a rookie here, but the whole position group is so ridiculously young that it makes sense. I'm assuming we're going to have one or two guys regress, so maybe one of them don't make it and Melton or DuBose does instead.

TE (3}: Luke Musgrave (24), Tucker Kraft (23), Tyler Davis (27)
Not much to note here. Maybe Ben Sims goes on the practice squad.

OT (4): Rasheed Walker (24), Zach Tom (25), Jordan Morgan (23), Caleb Jones (25)
I expect Travis Glover to go on the practice squad, although if Dillard doesn't make the roster then Glover probably does. Unless Morgan looks incredible from the get-go, I don't think they'll move Tom inside to start the season. However, I do expect Tom to be the center and Myers to be benched by midseason.

OG (4): Elgton Jenkins (28), Sean Rhyan (23), Royce Newman (27), Andre Dillard (28)
About the only player I don't expect to move is Jenkins, which is funny because he was kind of the prototype for our current fascination with versatile o-linemen. I think they're going to try to resurrect Dillard as a guard, which he's done a bit of before.

C (2): Josh Myers (26), Jacob Monk (23)
Long-term, the plan has to be replacing Myers here. I'm skeptical that'll happen by Week 1 though.

DT (4): Kenny Clark (28), Devonte Wyatt (26), Karl Brooks (24), Tedarrell Slaton (26), Colby Wooden (23)
Guessing we would put Colby Wooden on the practice squad.

DE (5): Rashan Gary (26), Lukas Van Ness (23), Preston Smith (31), Kingsley Enagbare (24), Brenton Cox Jr. (24)
Maybe wishful thinking for Van Ness to become a bigger part of the edge-rush rotation than Smith this year, but fingers crossed.

LB (5): Quay Walker (24), Edgerrin Cooper (22), Isaiah McDuffie (25), Ty'Ron Hopper (23), Eric Wilson (29)
I'm assuming that we're playing mostly nickel and only have two linebackers as regular starters.

CB (6): Jaire Alexander (27), Carrington Valentine (23), Eric Stokes (25), Keisean Nixon (27), Corey Ballentine (28), Kalen King (21)
Can't wait to see if the magical hamstring injury prevention technique we discovered works for Stokes and Watson. I'm excited about King and believe he'll stick.

S (5): Xavier McKinney (25), Javon Bullard (22), Anthony Johnson Jr. (24), Kitan Oladapo (23), Evan Williams (23)
I think Johnson Jr was decent enough last season in limited action to hang on to what's otherwise a total overhaul of the position. Also, I don't expect the talk about some of these safeties moving to corner to pan out unless King fails to make the roster or we have multiple injuries at corner.

LS (1): Matthew Orzech (29)
K (1): Greg Joseph (30)
P (1): Daniel Whelan (25)
I'm guessing Carlson does not bounce back.

Would love to see post-draft projections for other teams in the division! This was fun to think through.

Lions

QBs: Jared Goff, Hendon Hooker, Nate Sudfeld
No surprises here. I am interested to see (re: read about and watch a highlight or two) what Hooker does in the offseason.

RBs: David Montgomery, Jahmyr Gibbs, Craig Reynolds, Sione Vaki?
No need to fix what ain't broke here. The thunder and lightning will continue. Vaki played both sides of the ball at Utah out of necessity (he was a safety primarily) but some people seem to like him more on offense. He will probably be a ST gunner primarily. Jake Funk, Jermar Jefferson and Zonovan Knight are employed by the Lions organization.

WRs: Amon-Ra St. Brown, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Jameson Williams, Kalif Raymond, uhhh Tre'Quan Smith and Antoine Green ?
Really would've liked to see a receiver taken in the draft. DPJ did very little last year but is expected to replace Josh Reynolds' production. Jamo is hopefully ready to take the leap. Lif is a return man and versatile receiver. Beyond that top four it's a crapshoot. Preseason fan favorite Tom Kennedy is around. Maurice Alexander and Daurice Fountain exist. Will probably get someone off waivers or something to fill out this room.

TEs: Sam LaPorta, Brock Wright, James Mitchell
Same as last year.

OT: Penei Sewell, Taylor Decker, Colby Sorsdal, Dan Skipper
Also same as last year. I don't expect Giovanni Manu to see the field as a rookie unless injuries demand it. Connor Galvin was a practice squad guy last year.

OG: Kevin Zeitler, Graham Glasgow, Kayode Awasika, Christian Mahogany
Zeitler was a prize of free agency to replace Jonah Jackson. Glasgow is the backup center as well and Frank Ragnow getting hurt is inevitable, so I think Mahogany will be thrown to the wolves.

C: Frank Ragnow
See OG

DE: Aidan Hutchinson, Josh Paschal, John Cominsky
Paschal and Cominsky had great 2022s but injury-riddled disappointments last season. Another area where more help might still be sought but hopefully they can bounce back.

DT: D.J. Reader, Alim McNeil, Levi Onzuwurike, Mekhi Wingo, Brodric Martin
Reader was one of the big FA signings and should hopefully form a nasty interior with McNeil

OLB: Marcus Davenport, James Houston, Mathieu Betts
This is where we hope to see a much-improved pass rush. Davenport was a cheap signing hoping to regain his old form. Houston was an absolute terror as a rookie and injured for the vast majority of last season (also was in the doghouse because he can really only rush the passer). Betts is a wildcard who led the CFL in sacks.

ILB: Alex Anzalone, Derrick Barnes, Jack Campbell, Jalen Reeves-Maybin, Malcolm Rodriguez
A bunch of solid if unspectacular guys. Campbell will be looking to live up to his draft status. JRM is a special teams ace who played shockingly well when called upon to play defense late last season.

CB: Carlton Davis, Emmanuel Mosley, Terrion Arnold, Ennis Rakestraw, Amik Robertson, Kindle Vildor
The revamped CB unit is impossible to predict. Two offseason signings (Davis and Robertson), two rookies, and a big 2023 signing who came back from injury only to immediately be injured again. I'm projecting the veterans to start over the rookies, but expect to see plenty of all six of these guys. Brian Branch also technically played slot corner and Arnold has the versatility to play safety. Vildor may be most remembered for a ball bouncing off his face in the NFC championship and falling down against the Cowboys to allow a 92-yard touchdown, but he was otherwise decent and re-signed for a reason. Khalil Dorsey could also make the squad as a special teamer.

S: Kerby Joseph, Brian Branch, Ifeatu Melifonwu, Sione Vaki?
Joseph was apparently playing hurt much of the year and hopes to be a ballhawk at FS. Branch was the highlight of the secondary as a rookie. Melifonwu balled out late in the season after converting from corner.

K: Michael Badgley
P: Jack Fox
LS: Scott Daly

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 29, 2024

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Darth Brooks posted:

The Gendo-era doom and gloom poo poo sucks a lot, but I am also having a real tough time being excited about the pick. Maybe the coaching staff and being thrown into NFL practices will light a fire in him, but he feels like another version of the same QBs the Vikings have had since the Favre year("s").

Also I will say Sean Payton has the overall lead in Payton v. MN, but his "actually I'm the puppet master" schtick around them moving up one spot to get JJ is very funny.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
So, who will be the bravest of them all and make the 2024 thread?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Dexo had the most posts, thus he must be recognized as the winner of the thread. He should have the honors.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
:effort:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Henchman of Santa posted:

Lions

QBs: Jared Goff, Hendon Hooker, Nate Sudfeld
No surprises here. I am interested to see (re: read about and watch a highlight or two) what Hooker does in the offseason.

RBs: David Montgomery, Jahmyr Gibbs, Craig Reynolds, Sione Vaki?
No need to fix what ain't broke here. The thunder and lightning will continue. Vaki played both sides of the ball at Utah out of necessity (he was a safety primarily) but some people seem to like him more on offense. He will probably be a ST gunner primarily. Jake Funk, Jermar Jefferson and Zonovan Knight are employed by the Lions organization.

WRs: Amon-Ra St. Brown, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Jameson Williams, Kalif Raymond, uhhh Tre'Quan Smith and Antoine Green ?
Really would've liked to see a receiver taken in the draft. DPJ did very little last year but is expected to replace Josh Reynolds' production. Jamo is hopefully ready to take the leap. Lif is a return man and versatile receiver. Beyond that top four it's a crapshoot. Preseason fan favorite Tom Kennedy is around. Maurice Alexander and Daurice Fountain exist. Will probably get someone off waivers or something to fill out this room.

TEs: Sam LaPorta, Brock Wright, James Mitchell
Same as last year.

OT: Penei Sewell, Taylor Decker, Colby Sorsdal, Dan Skipper
Also same as last year. I don't expect Giovanni Manu to see the field as a rookie unless injuries demand it. Connor Galvin was a practice squad guy last year.

OG: Kevin Zeitler, Graham Glasgow, Kayode Awasika, Christian Mahogany
Zeitler was a prize of free agency to replace Jonah Jackson. Glasgow is the backup center as well and Frank Ragnow getting hurt is inevitable, so I think Mahogany will be thrown to the wolves.

C: Frank Ragnow
See OG

DE: Aidan Hutchinson, Josh Paschal, John Cominsky
Paschal and Cominsky had great 2022s but injury-riddled disappointments last season. Another area where more help might still be sought but hopefully they can bounce back.

DT: D.J. Reader, Alim McNeil, Levi Onzuwurike, Mekhi Wingo, Brodric Martin
Reader was one of the big FA signings and should hopefully form a nasty interior with McNeil

OLB: Marcus Davenport, James Houston, Mathieu Betts
This is where we hope to see a much-improved pass rush. Davenport was a cheap signing hoping to regain his old form. Houston was an absolute terror as a rookie and injured for the vast majority of last season (also was in the doghouse because he can really only rush the passer). Betts is a wildcard who led the CFL in sacks.

ILB: Alex Anzalone, Derrick Barnes, Jack Campbell, Jalen Reeves-Maybin, Malcolm Rodriguez
A bunch of solid if unspectacular guys. Campbell will be looking to live up to his draft status. JRM is a special teams ace who played shockingly well when called upon to play defense late last season.

CB: Carlton Davis, Emmanuel Mosley, Terrion Arnold, Ennis Rakestraw, Amik Robertson, Kindle Vildor
The revamped CB unit is impossible to predict. Two offseason signings (Davis and Robertson), two rookies, and a big 2023 signing who came back from injury only to immediately be injured again. I'm projecting the veterans to start over the rookies, but expect to see plenty of all six of these guys. Brian Branch also technically played slot corner and Arnold has the versatility to play safety. Vildor may be most remembered for a ball bouncing off his face in the NFC championship and falling down against the Cowboys to allow a 92-yard touchdown, but he was otherwise decent and re-signed for a reason. Khalil Dorsey could also make the squad as a special teamer.

S: Kerby Joseph, Brian Branch, Ifeatu Melifonwu, Sione Vaki?
Joseph was apparently playing hurt much of the year and hopes to be a ballhawk at FS. Branch was the highlight of the secondary as a rookie. Melifonwu balled out late in the season after converting from corner.

K: Michael Badgley
P: Jack Fox
LS: Scott Daly

Lions hopefully have gone from worst secondary to a pretty good one. I know rookie corners rarely perform, but Arnold could definitely have some moments.

It just shows that they get the North has caleb, dj moore and odunze, love and that wr room, plus anyone throwing the ball to Jefferson, who almost single handedly beat them last year. With injuries being assumed it will be nice to have several decent cbs, and it seems like they really want to play man, as part of the team's whole "grit" ethos. Arnold and Rakestraw can do that.

Reader at DT hopefully lets whoever is playing DE opposite hutch get some sacks, since he'll be doubled on every pass play.

Zeitler hopefully plays close to Jonah Jackson's level while not missing 50% of his games. As we know, Goff with time to throw is a top 10 QB. Goff with time to throw to a Jameson Williams who improves his route running, with improvements from La Porta and Gibbs, and baby you've got a stew going. I do worry about Goff losing his security binkie in Josh Reynolds. Maybe the loss will get Williams and Gibbs more involved?

Would love for them to find an UDFA kicker who can actually make FGs beyond 35 yards.

Oh yeah and Vaki is going to be a RB when not playing special teams. Here's Brugler's write up. Another guy the Lions can use for weird gadget plays is not bad in my eyes.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 29, 2024

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

surf rock posted:

Toure was invisible last season, I think Melton showed more than enough that he's got the inside track on Toure this season. He's had two seasons to show a flash, whereas Melton came in and immediately produced in December and then brought in a TD against the Niners. So far Toure seems decent for one big catch in a game when the defense completely loses track of him / forgets he exists, then vanishes again once they start paying attention to him again. I frankly expect him to be a roster cutdown casualty.

Watson is really hard to project here. Even with his hamstring he's still a deep threat, if he actually for real did fix his ham then I think he's back to #1 status. Reed, Doubs, Wicks all have knacks for getting open but none of them can completely loving blow a game open like Watson can. It all depends on his health.

I forget who said it but I read something this weekend that the Packers are going to be playing with primarily two linebackers as you said. The neat thing about this group of linebackers is that you can mix-and-match which two are playing at any given time to the offensive look while still keeping the nickel on the field. I would be surprised if at least 4 of these LBs weren't consistently game-day active.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Alright I got an idea I'll try to make the thread this week.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I wonder if Christian Mahogany calls it morning mahogony.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Lions hopefully have gone from worst secondary to a pretty good one. I know rookie corners rarely perform, but Arnold could definitely have some moments.

It just shows that they get the North has caleb, dj moore and odunze, love and that wr room, plus anyone throwing the ball to Jefferson, who almost single handedly beat them last year. With injuries being assumed it will be nice to have several decent cbs, and it seems like they really want to play man, as part of the team's whole "grit" ethos. Arnold and Rakestraw can do that.

Reader at DT hopefully lets whoever is playing DE opposite hutch get some sacks, since he'll be doubled on every pass play.

Zeitler hopefully plays close to Jonah Jackson's level while not missing 50% of his games. As we know, Goff with time to throw is a top 10 QB. Goff with time to throw to a Jameson Williams who improves his route running, with improvements from La Porta and Gibbs, and baby you've got a stew going. I do worry about Goff losing his security binkie in Josh Reynolds. Maybe the loss will get Williams and Gibbs more involved?

Would love for them to find an UDFA kicker who can actually make FGs beyond 35 yards.

Oh yeah and Vaki is going to be a RB when not playing special teams. Here's Brugler's write up. Another guy the Lions can use for weird gadget plays is not bad in my eyes.

Badgley has a leg but erratic accuracy. Patterson was the kicker who could not get it further than 45 yards.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dejan Bimble posted:

He's engaged to his high school sweetheart

That just means he likes to stick with what he knows and isn't afraid to take risks; sounds like someone who doesn't want to learn!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

SKULL.GIF posted:

Toure was invisible last season, I think Melton showed more than enough that he's got the inside track on Toure this season. He's had two seasons to show a flash, whereas Melton came in and immediately produced in December and then brought in a TD against the Niners. So far Toure seems decent for one big catch in a game when the defense completely loses track of him / forgets he exists, then vanishes again once they start paying attention to him again. I frankly expect him to be a roster cutdown casualty.

Watson is really hard to project here. Even with his hamstring he's still a deep threat, if he actually for real did fix his ham then I think he's back to #1 status. Reed, Doubs, Wicks all have knacks for getting open but none of them can completely loving blow a game open like Watson can. It all depends on his health.

I forget who said it but I read something this weekend that the Packers are going to be playing with primarily two linebackers as you said. The neat thing about this group of linebackers is that you can mix-and-match which two are playing at any given time to the offensive look while still keeping the nickel on the field. I would be surprised if at least 4 of these LBs weren't consistently game-day active.

X: Wicks
Slot: Reed
TE1: Kraft
TE2: Musgrave
Z: Doubs

Watson will have to find his place again. It's kind of known through league circles that Wicks is about to pop off in a big way.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

IcePhoenix posted:

I mean yeah that's the hand sign of the Dork Order

https://x.com/silvernumber1/status/1784673210065195085?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

ZombieCrew posted:

I wonder if Christian Mahogany calls it morning mahogony.

I heard someone pronounce it like Ma-honey and if that's true I will be sad.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Bearts projected 53 (as close as I can get)

✅added/improved
QB: Caleb Williams (R), Tyson Bagent, Brett Rypien
I have no strong opinions one way or another about this position

✅added/improved
RB: D'Andre Swift (25), Khalil Herbert (26), Roschon Johnson, Khari Blasingame
I expect a RBBC between these two. I think they'll keep Khari on the active as FB/RB versatility (I don't think Seattle used a FB much if all) and move Travis Homer off the 53

✅added/improved
WR: DJ Moore (27), Keenan Allen(32), Rome Odunze (R), Tyler Scott, Velus Jones, Dante Pettis
Keenan will move to slot a lot but he'll be WR2 on the depth chart. This unit could use a run/downfield blocker but that's such splitting hairs. Will they let Rome return punts???

❓changed (no clue if this is good or bad)
TE: Cole Kmet (25), Gerald Everett (30), Stephen Carlson
Cole stays, but the Getsy's TE's are out and the Waldron TE's are in

🔁basically the same
OT: Braxton Jones (25), Darnell Wright (23), Larry Borom, Matt Pryor, Kiran Amegadjie
I think Kiran will stick on the starting 53 as a flex guard/tackle depending on injuries but I'll list him here. There's no reason he can't compete with Borom for swing tackle responsibilities

🔁basically the same
OG: Teven Jenkins (26), Nate Davis (28), Ja'Tyre Carter
I still like this unit, Justin's pocket movement and overall awareness put them in more bad spots than they earned. Carter can also play Tackle if needed

✅added/improved
C: Ryan Bates (27), Coleman Shelton
Both newbies, no clue

🔁basically the same
DE: Montez Sweat (28), DeMarcus Walker (30), Dominique Robinson, <DE not on the team RN>, Austin Booker
This unit is looking a little suspicious. I think between now and week 1 they will add a reliable rotational vet. I don't think Austin Booker is gonna be ready for pro snaps this year

❌lost players
DT: Andrew Billings (29), Gervon Dexter (23), Zacch Pickens (24), Byron Cowart
Also looking pretty suspicious, Dexter and Pickens were fine enough as rookies though

🔁basically the same
LB: Tremaine Edmunds (26), TJ Edwards (28), Jack Sanborn (24), Noah Sewell, Amen Ogbongbemiga
Good enough

🔁basically the same
CB: Jaylon Johnson (25), Tyrique Stevenson (23), Kyler Gordon (24), Terell Smith, Jaylon Jones, Josh Blackwell
This unit rules. I think they like Blackwell a bit better than Greg Stroman

S: Kevin Byard (31), Jaquan Brisker (25), Elijah Hicks, Jonathan Owens
so does this one

LS: Patrick Scales (36)
K: Cairo Santos (33)
P: Tory Taylor (R)
Meme punter

the D Line is kinda old with bad depth, but this roster is night and day better than it was 2 years ago at every single position. This team is too talented to not be competitive every week, I have no clue how well they'll do this year but I expect .500 ball

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 29, 2024

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

GNU Order posted:

Bearts projected 53 (as close as I can get, I think they will add a DE, and bump a WR or TE though)

the D Line is kinda old with bad depth, but this roster is night and day better than it was 2 years ago at every single position. This team is too talented to not be competitive every week, I have no clue how well they'll do this year but I expect .500 ball

I don't think Tonyan nor Lewis are under contract with the Bears at the moment. I think the third TE is Stephen Carlson?

I also kind of wonder about center. They seemed excited about signing Ryan Bates, but Coleman Shelton actually has 30 starts at center the past two seasons and presumably can actually snap the ball. Low bar, I know, but it was an issue last year.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Wonder how this roster, especially on offense, compares to the rosters other 1:1 QBs have stepped into

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Ummagumma posted:

I don't think Tonyan nor Lewis are under contract with the Bears at the moment. I think the third TE is Stephen Carlson?

I also kind of wonder about center. They seemed excited about signing Ryan Bates, but Coleman Shelton actually has 30 starts at center the past two seasons and presumably can actually snap the ball. Low bar, I know, but it was an issue last year.

We traded for Bates first and I expect him to start, but they're only spending a couple mil on Shelton on a one year deal where we have plenty of cap to spare. This team regularly goes without having any players who can snap the ball so I'm more than happy having two of them

And yeah you're right about the TE's

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

brugroffil posted:

Wonder how this roster, especially on offense, compares to the rosters other 1:1 QBs have stepped into

The 2023 Bears were a whole lot closer to what Burrow, Lawrence, Luck, etc had to work with.

I can't think of any other situation off the top of my head where the team holding the #1 overall didn't actually earn it by being the worst in the league, or paid out the nose to get it via trading up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I cannot believe Caleb Williams invented a hand symbol that fans of non-NFL teams called the Bears have been doing for 100 years.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

GNU Order posted:

Bearts projected 53 (as close as I can get)

✅added/improved
QB: Caleb Williams (R), Tyson Bagent, Brett Rypien
I have no strong opinions one way or another about this position

✅added/improved
RB: D'Andre Swift (25), Khalil Herbert (26), Roschon Johnson, Khari Blasingame
I expect a RBBC between these two. I think they'll keep Khari on the active as FB/RB versatility (I don't think Seattle used a FB much if all) and move Travis Homer off the 53

✅added/improved
WR: DJ Moore (27), Keenan Allen(32), Rome Odunze (R), Tyler Scott, Velus Jones, Dante Pettis
Keenan will move to slot a lot but he'll be WR2 on the depth chart. This unit could use a run/downfield blocker but that's such splitting hairs. Will they let Rome return punts???

TE: Cole Kmet (25), Gerald Everett (30), Stephen Carlson
Cole stays, but the Getsy's TE's are out and the Waldron TE's are in

🔁basically the same
OT: Braxton Jones (25), Darnell Wright (23), Larry Borom, Matt Pryor, Kiran Amegadjie
I think Kiran will stick on the starting 53 as a flex guard/tackle depending on injuries but I'll list him here. There's no reason he can't compete with Borom for swing tackle responsibilities

🔁basically the same
OG: Teven Jenkins (26), Nate Davis (28), Ja'Tyre Carter
I still like this unit, Justin's pocket movement and overall awareness put them in more bad spots than they earned. Carter can also play Tackle if needed

✅added/improved
C: Ryan Bates (27), Coleman Shelton
Both newbies, no clue

🔁basically the same
DE: Montez Sweat (28), DeMarcus Walker (30), Dominique Robinson, <DE not on the team RN>, Austin Booker
This unit is looking a little suspicious. I think between now and week 1 they will add a reliable rotational vet. I don't think Austin Booker is gonna be ready for pro snaps this year

❌lost players
DT: Andrew Billings (29), Gervon Dexter (23), Zacch Pickens (24), Byron Cowart
Also looking pretty suspicious, Dexter and Pickens were fine enough as rookies though

🔁basically the same
LB: Tremaine Edmunds (26), TJ Edwards (28), Jack Sanborn (24), Noah Sewell, Amen Ogbongbemiga
Good enough

🔁basically the same
CB: Jaylon Johnson (25), Tyrique Stevenson (23), Kyler Gordon (24), Terell Smith, Jaylon Jones, Josh Blackwell
This unit rules. I think they like Blackwell a bit better than Greg Stroman

S: Kevin Byard (31), Jaquan Brisker (25), Elijah Hicks, Jonathan Owens
so does this one

LS: Patrick Scales (36)
K: Cairo Santos (33)
P: Tory Taylor (R)
Meme punter

Borom got a massive raise for service time reasons, beyond his ability he is probably getting cut the moment Kiran shows any ability.

Booker will almost assuredly get snaps, but probably just on extremely obvious passing downs. Against QB's where they don't have to worry about contain. Where they like move Gervon to the Nose, Demarcus Walker inside and Sweat and Booker on the outside.

Defensive Line is fine, so long as Montez sweat doesn't get hurt. If Montez Sweat gets hurt everything and everyone is hosed. Gervon was really really really good last year, when he had someone on the outside allowing him more single teams in the middle. I wouldn't mind them rolling the dice on a year of Carl Lawson.

Bates is also guard playable, he's going to likely be the backup guard whether he wins or loses the center competition. Poles loved his upside as a center, but even if he fails at that he will be a good backup guard. Also will probably move to guard when if Tev/Davis get hurt next year, or Davis is mid again. Shelton was a league average center last year(masive upgrade), good at pass pro, suspect at Run blocking.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
All I ask of the defensive line situation at this point is that their inevitable veteran FA signing is someone other than Yannick Ngakoue. I don't care if there aren't a ton of particularly appealing alternatives; just don't make me watch that man in a Bears uniform for another season

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

SKULL.GIF posted:

The 2023 Bears were a whole lot closer to what Burrow, Lawrence, Luck, etc had to work with.

I can't think of any other situation off the top of my head where the team holding the #1 overall didn't actually earn it by being the worst in the league, or paid out the nose to get it via trading up.

It's the first time ever where a team got a future #1 overall via pick. Expectations should be sky high.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

I cannot believe Caleb Williams invented a hand symbol that fans of non-NFL teams called the Bears have been doing for 100 years.

me and the boys throwin' up the bear claw in the elevator on the way to fight Lo Pan

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Hopefully the Bears' offense will be able to just outpower their meh defense. At least 41-38 losses are a lot more fun to watch than 10-7.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Their defense last year was pretty good by the end.

Their defense wasn't the reason they lost games, and it was unchanged for the most part.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Hopefully the Bears' offense will be able to just outpower their meh defense. At least 41-38 losses are a lot more fun to watch than 10-7.

What if they start winning games 38-10

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

At this point if Caleb beats the Packers once I'm building a statue.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If he’s any good I think splitting is pretty possible.

Though Bears fans are coping that this QB will do it the Packers fans are coping the defense will be good this time we promise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Dexo posted:

At this point if Caleb beats the Packers once I'm building a statue.

What if he does it while playing for the Vikings?