Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
What a disastrous outcome of that Claypool trade - give away a top 2nd rounder, get a guy who gets you >20 receptions, is a horrible presence in the locker room and trade him for something less than a 6th round pick. Wild.

Overall I actually like the philosophy animating Poles's moves, but the execution....the execution is not so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

watched the highlights of the bears game. lol, lmao, etc.

I was there in person, only my second game at Soldier Field ever. When Bagent came out nobody knew what the hell was going on and we thought that Fields was possibly pulled for bad play.

The Bears continue to innovate in terms of how bad and dysfunctional they can be. I've never seen a pro team be so bad at snapping the ball in a shotgun. It's just inexplicable. I don't know if there are other teams in the league where getting to 100 total yards of passing is an open question week in week out.

It would be very Bears to not even have the luxury of having the rest of the season to evaluate Fields, but have him miss a big chunk of time and keep the annoying question marks floating around. Ugh.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Kyle Orton is probably the best example here, he ended up having a respectable pro career. Not a star, not a franchise QB, but a serviceable starter for several years and that’s not bad for a *fourth round pick*

All the 1st round Bears QBs though… I don’t think coaching was really the issue there. You have obvious busts like Cade McNown, and then guys who’s talent wasn’t really there, like Rex Grossman (would anyone say he was “ruined” by coaching?). Trubisky was over drafted at his slot and people were saying it at the time.

Honestly when it comes down to it, there isn’t a huge history of Bears taking blue chip Qb talent and ruining it, they simply haven’t drafted that many QBs that highly. Justin Fields would be one, however, though he did slip from a higher projection in the draft, which may say something about how other teams evaluated him.

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 19, 2023

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I'm extremely pumped for this week in Chicago sports radio when the absolute dumbest people on earth will call for Tyson Bagent as franchise QB

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Dexo posted:

I'm just hoping against hope that Getsy sees the counter to this offensive gameplan, and gens up a double move.

As I'm willing to bet anything that they are gonna start playing the under routes.

Bagent hasn't really displayed the ability to complete a pass further than 8 yards, so that could be a problem.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

There's no precedent for it and they'd never do it, but it would be cool if they demoted Eberflus to DC and hired a real headcoach. Guy does know what he's doing on that side of the ball.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

There'll be the usual idiots but I think even if Bagent does "well" and the team wins a couple games while he plays his game of averaging 3 yards per attempt, it's not gonna change anything by the time the next draft rolls around and they (probably) draft Caleb Williams.

It's at least a little different from the Orton v. Grossman or Cutler vs. Whatever Schmuck Is Playing controversies because there's very likely to be a much better prospect coming along in 7 months

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/1716533005139722529

God yeah Fields would have had a TD on this play lmao.

Obviously they probably would have cared more about against fields probably But god drat the entire left side of the field is open

Maybe, even odds that he scores a TD or hops in the pocket until he gets sacked

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I'm glad Bagent came down to Earth because its going to lower the temperature of stupid in Chicago, but man. That was a rough game. Turned off the 4th quarter.

At least with Fields back we'll get some level of intrigue for the final 8 games (assuming he doesn't get injured again, which is a big assumption), but man. They're pretty drat depressing. Not a lot of bright spots in the 2023 Chicago Bears other than likely having two top 5 picks for 2024.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Oh no.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Jesus Christ what a nightmare. Cool that this year has been a dumpster fire of dumpster fires

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Bizarre, bad team makes puzzling decisions

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

good morning I am thinking about Velus Jones and laughing

The amount of fucks ups to opportunities to gently caress up are astounding. Like he barely gets playing time and he still manages to average a huge gently caress up a game.

Just an astonishingly bad pick

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I think its bizarre to criticize Bagent for being hesitant because he's really just been gunning it with confidence, whether or not it enters into a defenders arms or not. I chock up his interceptions mostly to lack of arm strength and being fooled on coverages, mostly.

On the bright side, the fun thing about this Thursdays game is that whoever wins, we, as fans, win. So that's nice. (Please don't subject us to more Bagent starts, please come back Justin so we can at least see you play a little bit more)

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

GNU Order posted:

I'm getting so sick of caring about the Bears. Be entertaining today PLEASE

With Fields out I feel no juice in this game. There's almost nothing at stake with the Bears holding both picks (I guess we hope they win and put the Panthers in better contention for the 1st overall), and another game of the Tyson Bagent Experience provides me with nothing interesting to even scout out.

I guess we want to see if Sweat changes the performance of the pass rush. Uh...hoping Darnell Mooney continues to build on his last game? If Bagent can secure for himself more of a career as a back up? I dunno. I'm at a loss.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I am happy for Detroit and I am especially happy for David Montgomery who always played hard for a moribund team.

They're absolutely going to murder the Bears this coming week and poor Justin Fields coming back from injury

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I am hyped for Fields' return and every game I got excited about this season the bears shat the bed real hard so I am ready for the disappointment.

Fields coming back and (hopefully) playing these last 7 games are the most interesting things left to us this year. There's a little bit of scouting you can do on some of the rest of the players, but we generally know what we got. All that's left is to see if there is something worth salvaging with Fields (a slim chance, maybe), and making a decision on him.

So, even if we are expecting a shellacking, at the very least we get a chance to see Fields play and sink or swim against one of the best teams in the league.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

OH drat this is going super great so far

The most important thing is that Fields is playing well but....I'll definitely take some interceptions!

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

ok what the hell is going on with the offensive line - you can't just have free rushers shoot through every running down

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

The Lions are tring to give the game to the Bears and the Bears are like no, no thanks - please have it

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

That's.....17 passes at or behind the line of scrimmage. How does that happen??

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

The thing most frustrating about being a Bears fan is that, from mid-season on, this season became entirely oriented around seeing what you have with Justin Fields - and we lose 4 games of that, then we get tantalizingly strong play coupled with maddening erratic play coupled with an OC who wont even call a game to allow us to see what Fields can do.

So we remain stuck completely in the mud of being unable to see if the dude is even The Dude.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Dexo posted:

Look, he might not have it anymore for the pros I don't know.

But that dude has had success wherever he has gone. He's a complete loving weirdo, but he's one that has won and been successful p much every year wherever he has gone.

If he wants, you absolutely talk to him, and see what he's looking for.

Not saying you have to hire him, but it's laughable considering that dude's resume to not at least interview and think strongly about hiring him if he wants to be there.

Bears have had too many nice guy lovely coaches. I'd be fine with rolling the dice on an rear end in a top hat who seemingly does get results wherever he goes. Even if it is just a fire that burns out quickly.

Actually that’s a good point - the Bears always do have mumbling nice guy coaches who don’t inspire a lot of confidence. Even the GOOD ones are soft spoken nice guys, like Lovie.

When was the last time they had a red rear end angry guy? Wannstedt? Fuckin…Ditka??

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

trevorreznik posted:

John fox yelled a lot

But there's already a man who knows the city and would be a great cultural fit for angry yeller...

I had totally excused the memory of the John Fox years from my brain. I think those may be the nadir of my fandom, just complete hopeless awfulness. Jay Cutler marching to his retirement… a procession of the worst quarterbacks you can possibly imagine.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

He accomplished more in a few years in San Francisco than the Bears have in 38 years.

Hey, thats not fair

He's accomplished approximately the same amount in 4 years than the Bears have in 38 years. (Play in a couple NFC Championship games, lose a Super Bowl)

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

trevorreznik posted:

*puts on Veteran of 2004 Bears QB wars hat*

I had a talk with my uncle about Erik Kramer while watching Mahomes on Sunday. It was bleak as we tried to figure out how to replicate that success from...30 years ago.

I was there....I was there 19 years ago. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Craig Krenzel starting 5 games and failing to hit a 50% completion percentage. Rex Grossman tearing every ligament in his leg....Jonathan Quinn....Chad Hutchinson. I was there! I was there!!!

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Feels good to get a win against an actual good team, dang.

It was a fascinating game because the team did everything that usually gets it a loss : squandering turnovers, failing to score in the red zone, letting a good offensive team hang around, and still won.

And on top of it, Fields had a very Fields day: moments of brilliance surrounded by plays where he held onto the ball waaaay too long, balls sailed over open receivers and some magnetic running plays. It was really a C+ game from him - not awful, but not amazing, and probably not good enough if you’re going to have the first overall pick. I feel for the guy, because he’s really a great dude. But I dunno if you can commit to him if this is the ceiling of his play.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I'm a total Football Sicko because now I'm leaning towards the option of "Draft a QB with the 1st overall and Keep Fields next year"

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

My heart can't handle another 'win and in' game between the Bears and Packers after Chris Conte Fell Down, so I'm positive that will happen to us again.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I just went to check the score, saw Tommy Devitos stat line, and laughed.

The spirit of Kyle Orton lives on

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

it is incredible to me that Fields is playing at almost the exact level to make it impossible to figure out what to do with him and drive everyone insane, congrats to Talk Radio

He had pretty much the perfect Fields Game on Sunday. He did enough with his legs, he had more than a few highlight throws, and he won the game. He also missed receivers high all day, took one unbelievably unnecessary egregious sack, caused a holding penalty holding onto the ball forever, and even had a near fumble on a scramble.

If this is What He Is, its probably, IMO, not good enough to not utilize the 1st overall on a QB. But if you think this is his floor and he's only going up from there, it's a much more difficult question.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Gonz posted:

*in crazed old mountain man voice*

I watched Dobbs on the Cardinals this year! I warned everybody! Nobody listened! He’s horrible!

It's wild how consistent the 'back up quarterback comes in for some spot starts and is inexplicably good because nobody has tape on him and then immediately reverts into a pumpkin within 3 games' is - and Dobbs was that guy and people did have tape on him!

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I refuse to get into the "Bears will ruin whoever they draft" mindset because if that's the case, we'll never win another Super Bowl again barring a totally over the top improbable Generational Defense situation like 85 or the 2000 Ravens. And maybe that thought is what keeps the Chicago Meatballs happy but it doesn't make me happy. I also think it's magical thinking.

But I do have a lot of brain damage from Bear QB Madness and I do feel an affection and attachment to Fields that is at least around "Well the guy is at least serviceable and why gamble that on the slim chance we'll find something better." Plus the prospect of trading the 1st overall again for a thieves ransom sounds delicious.

But then on the other hand there's the chance Fields is who he is, and this is the ceiling of his play, and we'd be passing on the chance to draft the next Andrew Luck or whatever. It's an amazing dilemma.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

xbilkis posted:

I don’t think any fanbase has ever fretted more about potentially moving on from a QB/coach combo that took 30 games to cobble together its first two-game winning streak, and also one of those wins was a miserable zero-TD performance against a team playing a soon-to-be-benched backup

Oh I think Eberflus should have been fired immediately following the Denver game and there is nothing that he could do from then on that would make me want to retain him. The fact the team was visibly unprepared for the season was all I needed to see to be done with him. And no matter how well they're playing now, I don't care. If he wants to stay on as a DC, thats fine.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

trevorreznik posted:

I mean, yes. He's worse than last year, when he put together the second greatest rushing season ever and could have been #1 if not for injuries. I wanted him to be the greatest, not merely very good.

He is averaging 25 fewer yards on the ground per game and 50 more yards in the air per game. I'll take that tradeoff.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

The international games typically suck rear end and are played at annoying times so thank you, George, for standing against them.

Re: Cam, he still wants to play ? Surely he could get a starting job somewhere in this NFL - the land of Josh Dobbs, Tommy Devito and Joe Flacco at age 38.

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 14, 2023

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

When do games start appearing on Saturday?

Thats my favorite time of the NFL season. College football is done (or at least on break), the NFL starts running games on Saturday, and then we soon get playoff football.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I know it makes everyone angry but I think Poles has been, on balance, very good at player acquisition.

The Claypool trade was a clear loss, and Velus Jones sucks, but beyond that? I like a lot of what he’s done.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Chicago Bears selected Mitchell Trubisky to be their franchise quarterback.

Lots of QBs bust, it is what it is. But to select him at 2nd overall in the same draft that the best QB of his generation was picked is the real kick in the nuts.

It's insane how bad he looks out there. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

GNU Order posted:

The Bears drafted the most accurate college QB in the modern era, who also secretly runs a 4.4 40, and failed him from day one. Stuck him to a lame duck regime with no help, and then handed him over to a staff who wants to do the opposite of what he’s good at. Instead of going heavy play action, we do quick shot screens and goofy rear end QB runs that everybody is ready for

They should get rid of the draft, the worst teams in the league shouldn’t be allowed to ruin the best young players

Fields's downsides have been exacerbated by coaching and but his primary problem - a poor internal clock when it comes to pass rush - is not something easily changed by good or bad coaching. His positive qualities (rocket arm, amazing legs, pretty drat good accuracy when he plants) are all still there. When he was in college he almost always had a clean pocket and he had receivers running free - but scouts still were alerted to his potential weakness in the face of pressure :

"A slower operation time and a lack of a twitchy trigger will require him to work with better anticipation and pressure recognition pre- and post-snap. He takes more sacks than coaches will be comfortable with but he also digs his way out of holes and creates explosive plays. "

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/justin-fields/32004649-4576-9504-963d-c33127e80752