Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I like that the team outlooks range from "no playoffs" to "quick playoff exit." No hope allowed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Get the gently caress over to New York, Rodgers, and fulfill the destiny your father predecessor laid before you

Also: Chicago is insane if they don't trade down at least twice. Getting gifted the #1 pick while having a potential franchise QB already on the roster was a huge deal.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I kind of get the feeling Gutekunst is gonna double-dip or even triple-dip at tight end next month. He's done it at a few other positions in previous drafts, and this year's tight end class is not only exceptionally deep but also exceptionally varied. The Packers have literally no one at the position (unless you count Josiah Deguara, but I won't blame you for forgetting he existed) on the current roster.

These are the times I remember him doing that:

2018: Jaire Alexander + Josh Jackson (CB) = Jaire is great and Jackson sucked

2018: J'Mon Moore + Marquez Valdez-Scantling (WR): MVS was good and Moore sucked

2022: Christian Watson + Romeo Doubs (WR) = Doubs was great early and then faded; Watson started slow but became great

2022: Sean Rhyan + Zach Tom (OG) = Tom was decent for a rookie; Rhyan got suspended for substance abuse

It's a big investment, but we've always got at least one decent player out of it (and most of these are mid-round picks anyway).

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Rodgers-2-Jets picking up steam!

I'm guessing the return is pick #13 this year and a conditional fourth-rounder next year that can escalate up to the second-round based on performance.

Rodgers is too old and expensive to get a bigger return, especially after Broncos Country (Let's Ride!) Russ poisoned the well.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I'm going to revise my earlier prediction: GB will only get #13 and a conditional 2024 mid-rounder if they also agree to keep a bunch of Rodgers' salary.

I'm also predicting that Rodgers has a Favre-like trajectory with New York: he looks great for half of the season, picks up a bad injury, and then flops in the divisional round of the playoffs. He retires after two seasons with the Jets.

Finally, I'm predicting a 6-11 record for the Packers where Love looks OK™ after the first third of the season, but not good or bad enough to make the extension decision easy.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Soooooooooooooooo...

The Lions should absolutely sign Lamar Jackson, right? This feels like a golden opportunity for Detroit.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

tinstaach posted:

I really don't know, Goff played this well to close out the season, and the NFL's a cutthroat league, but I don't know if you can tell your QB "Hey man, you were so good last year that we're pretty sure you can't keep up this level of play next season, so we're gonna toss you into the street". It's a move you'd make in Madden but it might affect your team chemistry or how free agents see you as a destination.

I don't know how to square what the Lions have been building, and talk about continuing to build, with changing quarterbacks. And with the draft picks involved it's not just is this team better with Lamar or Goff, it's is this team better with Lamar or Goff and the #1 corner and like the #3 DT in this year's class.

Why couldn't he have just sucked rear end like he was supposed to and made this decision a lot easier???

Nobody is going to be like "oh man, I thought I was gonna play with Goff this year, but now I'm stuck with Lamar Jackson, gently caress this poo poo" lol

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

His arm delivery looks so similar to Rodgers and the passes are obviously smooth and accurate, but he looks stiff setting up for the throw and he doesn't do the little hop like Rodgers does (not that he should, but Rodgers does it to help prevent leg injuries). Wonder how he'll perform in live action, if that little pause before he throws will still persist.

From what I've seen, Love's three biggest struggles are:

1.) Decision making with pressure in his face
2.) Not being a willing runner when the play breaks down
3.) Deep ball accuracy (really small sample size on this in particular, admittedly)

It's probably not possible to know whether he's improved on those until the season starts, and even if he's on the right trajectory, it's gonna take time.

Looking at Rodgers in 2008, I felt it was pretty clear during his first season that he was going to become an above-average starting QB. Ultimately, he went for 28 TDs, 13 INTs, about 4,000 yards passing, and a completion rate of 63.6%, rushing for another 200 yards and 4 TDs. There were some very underwhelming games during that stretch, though.

We'll see what Love can do. I'm skeptical, but he seems like a great guy and I want to root for him. We got our championship out of Rodgers and we're not getting another one from him, let's move on.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Benjamin Disraeli posted:

Pretty sure those guys are all FA's already. Saw one guy question if maybe they'd package Bakh in, in which case sure go ahead but we better be getting a 1st or 2.

Oh, that'd be super interesting. Bakhtiari was excellent last season after he shook off the rust, but that's a massive contract and I'm never going to feel confident about his health again. Probably a bad idea to move on unless we can bring back Yosh and feel very confident about Tom's development (or Jones or Walker I guess, but I don't think they got any playtime so I doubt it).

Also, compensatory picks for the draft:

Bears: 7th round
Packers: 5th round + 7th round
Vikings: 6th round

eh

surf rock fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 10, 2023

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Gonz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCOcjHap5R0

2 British guys reacting to Barry Sanders doing Barry things.

I don't need an excuse to watch Barry Sanders clips, but watching them while listening to a couple of Brits say "he's done well there, hasn't he?" after each run is even better.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Woof, big trade. Congrats to Bears fans for getting a lot of value out of that pick. Two firsts, two seconds, and a low-end WR1 is nothing to sneeze at.

Y'all should be sending Lovie Smith a nice gift basket after he handed you that pick, especially given the org loving him over.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Moore's contract also isn't bad at all in this crazy new world of WR contracts:

2023: $19,965,000 guaranteed, $25,040,000 cap hit (pre-June 1 cut dead money: $35,700,000)
2024: $1,110,000 guaranteed, $20,925,000 cap hit (pre-June 1 cut dead money: $10,860,000)
2025: $0 guaranteed, $20,925,000 cap hit (pre-June 1 cut dead money: $4,875,000)

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I know it's too early to be confident about this stuff, but how were Poles' draft picks from 2022? Did he knock it out of the park?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Now if they can teach fields to throw a ball

I still think Fields is a good passer, and I believe that the next stage of his evolution will be teams respecting him more as a runner and figuring out how to slow it down (not stop him, but make it less of a get-out-of-jail free card). If he can respond to that through the air like I expect, he's the next Lamar Jackson. If not, he's going to be smack-dab in that purgatory of "this guy will win some games, but I'm not sure he can go deep in the playoffs unless everything's rolling his way."

I dunno, I think this is the most excited Bears fans should be since the Super Bowl season. This is a franchise that looked completely dead in the water at the end of the 2021 season.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Dexo posted:

Velus Jones showed some things when he was forced to be a reciever after everyone was hurt. Needs to work on that whole catching thing tho lol.

Okay the one player I do remember is Velus Jones and you cannot possibly sell me on that dude, jesus christ

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I watch a lot of NFL and engage with a lot of NFL-related content and I had literally never heard of this guy until people in this thread started talking about him a couple of days ago, so I feel like this probably is not that big of a deal, but my sympathies anyway

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

How much cap space could Chicago roll over to next season, incidentally? I know there's a cap floor; can they roll over anything unspent above that point?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

New trade goal, inspired by Chicago:

- Jets get: Rodgers and Cobb
- Packers get: Elijah Moore, 3rd-rounder, peace and quiet

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

God, I hope this trade happens and he breaks his collarbone three games into the season. loving LEAVE

Unrelated: I love how much Detroit fans fell in love with Jamaal Williams. He's a rad dude and he should make a circuit around the NFC North and become the one thing we can all agree on (in addition to Saving Big Money and hating Ohio).

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Packers beat writer estimating the Rodgers compensation:

https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/1636089861483446276

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

That's not the point, the point is that the Packers have that option, and if the Jets don't offer enough the Packers can threaten to go full scorched earth.

Rodgers declaring he wants to be a Jet didn't eliminate Green Bay's leverage, it actually maximized it. Put yourself in New Jersey's shoes for a moment, you have a Hall of Fame QB saying he wants to go to your team and take you to your best shot of a Super Bowl since the Namath days. What price are you willing to pay? And what happens if you go "That's too expensive"?

"I need the most expensive quarterback you have."

"...No, that's too expensive."

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Packers signed Tarvarius Moore, which probably means there's a healthy chance Rudy Ford doesn't return.

https://twitter.com/AndyHermanNFL/status/1636821357987020839

lol, imagine if the Packers had put the slightest effort into improving special teams during the decade when it would've mattered

Gonna be thrilling when we have a top-10 special teams unit (excuse me, "we-fense") and bottom-15 offense and defense

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

The Journal-Sentinel surveyed four anonymous league personnel execs to estimate what the Jets will pay for Rodgers. Their answers:

- 2023 second or third-rounder and a 2024 conditional dependent on Rodgers not retiring

- 2023 second-rounder, 2024 first-rounder, and a player

- 2023 first-rounder and 2024 conditional dependent on making the playoffs

- 2023 third-rounder, better if the Packers take some of the cap hit

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I'd figured the packers were banned from doing this because we never loving did it

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Falconer posted:

Yeah, the Pistons are again godawful, the Wings briefly looked OK before limping to mediocrity by season's end, the Tigers are already shaping up to have the kind of season that franchise records are made of (and not good records)...

The hellworld we live in where the Lions of all teams are the only sign of hope right now.

The Tigers are absolute garbage, but I've got legit hope for the Pistons and Red Wings. I don't follow hockey super closely but I think Yzerman is a genius and will get us where we want to go eventually. I've been following the Pistons a lot more closely, and this was always going to be a tank season once Cade went down at the start. If we get Wembanyama or even Scoot or Miller, I think we could be a play-in team next season and be a legitimately good team in 2-3 years. The Cade/Ivey/Duran core is super promising.

Also, I'm not a Lions fan, but this is the first time in 30 years y'all look like actual contenders so you should really revel in that. As a Wolverines fan, the past couple of years have also been terrific on the football and hockey side (basketball not so much).

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Real talk, you just know that Dan Campbell is shooting dice in alleywalls across Detroit and I love him for it

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

FINALLY. Rot in hell New York you jackass

Alright, here were my pick predictions:

- March 7: "I'm guessing the return is pick #13 this year and a conditional fourth-rounder next year that can escalate up to the second-round based on performance."
- March 7: "I'm going to revise my earlier prediction: GB will only get #13 and a conditional 2024 mid-rounder if they also agree to keep a bunch of Rodgers' salary."
- March 14: "Elijah Moore, 3rd-rounder"

And a prediction from beat writer Tom Silverstein on March 15: "I'm thinking a 3rd this year and a conditional 3rd that could be as high as a 1st next year depending on play-time or achievement in '23. Maybe a player thrown in."

And estimates from a survey of four league personnel execs by the Journal Sentinel on March 17:

- 2023 second or third-rounder and a 2024 conditional dependent on Rodgers not retiring
- 2023 second-rounder, 2024 first-rounder, and a player
- 2023 first-rounder and 2024 conditional dependent on making the playoffs
- 2023 third-rounder, better if the Packers take some of the cap hit

----------------

So, looking at the actual trade, it's a little tough to compare because we don't know if the Packers are keeping any of the Rodgers salary. Assuming they're not because that hasn't been mentioned in the reporting, though, I think this is a little worse for Green Bay than my first prediction and the second league personnel prediction, but better than the others. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this, and especially with the 2024 pick not being contingent on performance.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Dexo posted:

yeah they did better than I thought they would, considering the Jets had the leverage in being able to wait, knowing the Packers have to get rid of him, with no other team giving offers.

Well, it was such a goofy situation because neither team gave themselves an out. The Packers could have theoretically kept a benched Rodgers but that would be extremely stupid, while the Jets could have traded up for one of the big four quarterbacks in this draft. It would've been pretty expensive since they weren't in the top 10 to begin with, but I'm not sure it would've cost more than that to get to, like, #7 or whatever. But they threw out all of their leverage by saying that Rodgers was the plan and signing his buddies.

So, both teams had all the leverage and none of the leverage. I did think the Jets could just wait the Packers out, but I guess not.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Yeah, same. My first and only av gifted to me by Soothing Vapors (rip).

Man if he thought he was treated badly by the Green Bay press.

Are there any good receivers in the draft? If there is, Comedy Option says Packers draft him at #13 because Love Needs Weapons.

In the 2023 Goon Draft, we're finishing up the fourth round. I was drafting for the Packers and selected the following:

#15: Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State University
#45: Luke Musgrave, TE, Oregon State
#78: Keeanu Benton, DL, Wisconsin
#116: Quan Martin, S, Illinois

If I had picks #13 and #42, I still would've grabbed JSN for #13, and I would've added Will McDonald IV (EDGE, Iowa State) with the extra pick at #42.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if he sucks then that isn’t terribly different than what they would have with Rodgers.

Because last year he sucked

Also, if Love sucks, it feels unlikely that Gute will sit back and be like "let's give it another year or two." I think he cuts bait and moves on next draft in that scenario. Whereas if we were drafting, saying, Will Levis this year, we probably give him 2-3 years before moving on (if he didn't pan out).

So, it kind of gives us two bites at the find-a-successor apple in a short timespan. That's still not very many bites so we could fail, but it's better than one.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Wright? Really?

Good for Fields that the Bears are finally investing in the line, but why draft the guy who can't pass-protect in space when you have a quarterback scrambling all over the place?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

alright I'm not thrilled about Van Ness for Green Bay but at least we didn't draft loving Gibbs lol

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

The Packers haven't had a good defense in ~25 years

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

adaz posted:

by year in scoring defense from 2010.

pre:

okay, we had one, arguably two, good defenses

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

This is about the first pick, not whatever's about to happen:

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1651762086492483584

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Jen X posted:

Odd lions picks but if they’re good the lions will be satisfied

If you hit on every pick in the day one and day two rounds and periodically people in the day three rounds, you're gonna be just fine regardless of what positions you're valuing because there are so many busts. So yeah, if they both end up being above-average starters they probably won't be broken-hearted.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 28, 2023

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I wonder if the Packers could get Branch and one of Mayer/Musgrave/Washington/Hyatt in the second round. I think one of those is probably available at #42, but I think we'd have to move up from #45 to the mid-30s for Branch.

If the Lions get one of JPJ/Turner and the Bears get one of Tippmann/Torrence/Avila/Mauch today, their drafts both start to look a lot better.

edit: if we stay put and Branch is gone by #42, I'd want to wait until the third or even the fourth to address safety. Other players I'd be interested in for the second round: Bergeron, Dawand Jones, JPJ, Benton, Ojulari, Keion White, Adebawore.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 28, 2023

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Sexy Rexy had the arm, but he didn't have the help, and that made all the difference

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Maybe you can categorize draft picks in the following ways, and that the lower you go the worse it gets:

1.) We drafted a guy we're thrilled about, who fills a need, and plays at a premium position <-- hooray
2.) We drafted a guy we're thrilled about and who fills a need, but who doesn't play at a premium position
3.) We drafted a guy we're thrilled about who doesn't fill a need but who plays at a premium position
4.) We drafted a guy we're thrilled about who doesn't fill a need or play at a premium position
5.) We drafted a guy we don't love but who fills a need and plays at a premium position
6.) We drafted a guy we don't love who doesn't fill a need but who plays at a premium position
7.) We drafted a guy we don't love who fills a need but who doesn't play at a premium position
8.) We drafted a guy we don't love, who doesn't fill a need, and who doesn't play at a premium position <-- this probably never happens

Obviously, we can't know who teams are actually excited about and who they're just trying to talk up because the board didn't fall their way, so it's all academic anyway.

Looking at the Lions picks yesterday, though, I think one falls in category #2 and the other is in category #4, so that's sub-optimal but not terrible. People's complaints about it basically boil down to "when you're picking that high, you should be able to find someone to hit that #1 scenario," but everyone's saying it's a weak draft anyway in terms of top-end talent so maybe not this year.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

MJeff posted:

Give me more Iowa guys. More! MORE!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Can I interest you in a Kaevon Merriweather at safety? Riley Moss at corner? John Waggoner at EDGE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Hand Row posted:

Packer fans gonna freak if Branch falls to them and gets picked lol

At the moment, I'm hoping for either Washington or Musgrave at #42 moreso than Branch.