Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Final predictions for the division:

- Bears draft Caleb Williams then trade back and draft Byron Murphy
- Vikings stay put and draft JJ McCarthy
- Packers draft Cooper DeJean
- Lions draft Kool-Aid McKinstry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
smart guy

https://twitter.com/CALEBcsw/status/1501235055246471169

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Bears should be pretty thrilled about their draft. Williams was the obvious pick at #1 and Odunze is cool. Yeah, they would benefit from trench help but you can't do everything with one pick.

Meanwhile: I'm a Michigan fan so I'm not actively rooting for McCarthy's downfall, but at no point over the past couple of years did I feel that McCarthy was even a top-three reason while we were winning games. Good luck?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Skepticism about McCarthy aside, at least you guys didn't draft Bo loving Nix at #12 lol

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Combined, the Minnesota Vikings have traded:

- 2024 second (for pick 23, which became 17)
- 2024 fourth (for pick 10)
- 2024 fifth x2 (for pick 10 + pick 17)
- 2024 sixth (for pick 23, which became 17)
- 2025 second (for pick 23, which became 17)
- 2025 third (for pick 17)
- 2025 fourth (for pick 17)

in exchange for upgrading their first-rounder and acquiring another first-rounder, which turned into:

- JJ McCarthy
- Dallas Turner
- 2024 sixth
- 2024 seventh

As always with a quarterback: if McCarthy works out, it doesn't matter. If he doesn't, this is terrible even if Turner is great. Who knows!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I'm kind of gagging about the number of picks that the Vikings have traded, but I also wouldn't complain if the Packers bundled like four picks together to move either #41 or #58 up into the end of the first round.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Well, Detroit could not have possibly imagined getting Arnold, even if it did cost a third-rounder too.

I don't really think that Green Bay was about to pick them, but who knows? Also, there were other picks before Detroit too before they moved up. Congrats Lions fans

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

lol, well, nevertheless

edit: shout-out to Daltos for saying he's gonna be a really good left tackle and plays like Bakhtiari before I hurl myself in front of a train

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

What's wrong with Sean Rhyan? I thought he was good last year.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

It does seem extremely unlikely that the white corner out of Iowa wouldn't go to Green Bay.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Wishlist for some of our eight picks (lol) today in descending order:

Jaden Hicks (S)
Either Rattler or Milton III (QB)
1 Edge
1 DL
1 CB
1 WR
1 IOL
1 K

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Caught up on the day three selections! Overall, Green Bay drafted the positions I wanted but not the players (aside from a couple). I don't know poo poo about poo poo though, so that's fine. I've got Dane Brugler’s guide, so I'm gonna share his info about each of our 11 picks.

Round 1, No. 25: Jordan Morgan, OT, Arizona (#29 overall / #2 OG / 1st-2nd round projected)

SUMMARY: A four-year starter at Arizona, Morgan was a constant at left tackle in offensive coordinator Brennan Carroll’s zone-based scheme (Carroll is the son of Pete Carroll and was the assistant offensive line coach for the Seattle Seahawks from 2015-21). After Arizona won a combined five games during his first three seasons on campus, Morgan helped lead the program’s turnaround in 2023 (Arizona won 10 games in a season for just the second time since 1998). A quick-footed blocker, Morgan displays range and aggression in the run game and gets on top of rushers quickly in his jump sets when he uses well-timed hands. His struggles in pass protection come when he is overaggressive with his kickslide and gets too far up the arc, which can create a two-way go for rushers and open the door for inside counters. Overall, Morgan struggles to anchor mid-slide versus power, but he is a balanced mover who is well-schooled and physical in all phases. Though he can survive at tackle in the NFL, his skill set projects much better inside at guard, similar to Matthew Bergeron.

Round 2, No. 45: Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M (#46 overall / #2 LB / 2nd-3rd round projected)

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Texas A&M, Cooper lined up as a Will linebacker in defensive coordinator DJ Durkin’s 4-2-5 base scheme, also seeing snaps wide as a nickel or on the defensive line. Although 2023 was a forgettable season for the program, the Aggies’ defense ranked top 10 nationally and Cooper was the catalyst, leading the team in tackles, tackles for loss, sacks and forced fumbles (only prospect in this class who can say that). An above-average athlete for his size, Cooper beelines to the football with outstanding closing burst and aggressive tackling. Though he has elite arm length, he can be better at shooting his hands to escape blocks. Overall, Cooper has some undisciplined tendencies and will run himself out of plays, but he is a fast-flowing linebacker who can run and cover. He has the explosive traits to be a regular on special teams as a rookie and grow into a three-down linebacker role in the NFL.

Round 2, No. 58: Javon Bullard, S, Georgia (#53 overall / #2 S / 2nd-3rd round projected)

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Georgia, Bullard played the field safety role in head coach Kirby Smart’s 3-3-5 base scheme, and he also saw reps in the box and slot. The lowest-ranked recruit in Smart’s 2021 recruiting class, he played the “STAR” nickel position in 2022 before moving to free safety. He didn’t allow a touchdown in coverage during the 2023 season. With his swagger fitting up the run, Bullard is assignment sound as a down safety, where he can quickly diagnose, drive and make plays at the football. He has the eye balance to rapidly read routes, although his timing will need to be pristine to cover NFL receivers and tight ends. Overall, Bullard doesn’t have ideal size or length, but he is ultra-instinctive and makes his presence felt at all three levels of the field. His skill set fits best as a hybrid nickel defender who can handle box duties, disguise his intentions and drop into space.

Round 3, No. 88: MarShawn Lloyd, RB, USC (#91 overall / #5 RB / 3rd round projected)

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at USC, Lloyd was the top back on the depth chart in head coach Lincoln Riley’s RPO, spread (multiple-run) scheme. After three years at South Carolina, he transferred to the Trojans and had a productive 2023 season (led the team in rushing in 11 of 12 regular-season games), finishing as one of only five FBS running backs to average more than 7.0 yards per carry. With his vision and dynamic cutting skills, Lloyd is a shifty runner with the short-area explosion and lateral agility to leave defenders diving at air (20.87 percent of his carries resulted in a 10-plus-yard gain). He frequently springs free because of the creativity he shows with the ball in his hands, although he relies too much on his east-west options and needs to be more consistent finishing runs. Overall, Lloyd doesn’t have the profile of a high-volume back, but he can spark an NFL offense with his mix of patience, burst and promise as a pass catcher. His tape gives me flashbacks of a thicker version of Duke Johnson when he was coming out of Miami.

Round 3, No. 91: Ty'Ron Hopper, LB, Missouri (#11 LB / 5th round projected)

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Missouri, Hopper played Will linebacker in defensive coordinator Blake Baker’s 4-2-5 base scheme. After struggling to find a regular role at Florida, he transferred and averaged 5.8 tackles per game in two seasons with Missouri, earning All-SEC honors as a senior. With his initial quickness and rangy speed, Hopper aggressively responds to ball carriers and pass catchers and closes in a hurry. However, he lacks the play strength desired for an every-down role and needs to improve his block awareness. Overall, Hopper needs to be more consistent at the point of attack and as a finisher, but he is a fast-flowing athlete with the pursuit skills and blitzing talent to find a home in the NFL. He projects as a run-and-chase rotational linebacker with the skill set for special teams.

Round 4: No. 111: Evan Williams, S, Oregon (#15 S / 5th-6th round projected)

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Oregon, Williams was a versatile safety in head coach Dan Lanning’s balanced scheme. After four years at Fresno State, he transferred to Eugene for the 2023 season and led the Ducks in tackles, finishing his college career with 45 starts. Although he has the size of a free safety, Williams has the mentality of a box safety, with his disciplined run support and eagerness to drop the hammer. Though he reacts well to front-facing throws, he has a tough time locating the ball downfield, and his coverage busts lead to big plays for the offense. Overall, Williams doesn’t have playmaking instincts in the deep half of the field, but he is an energetic field presence with a trigger and toughness that are easy to appreciate. He projects as a backup strong safety and core special teamer in the mold of Alohi Gilman.

Round 5, No. 163: Jacob Monk, OL, Duke (#10 C / 6th round projected)

SUMMARY: A five-year starter at Duke, Monk switched between right guard and center in former offensive coordinator Kevin Johns’ scheme. The highest-ranked recruit in the Blue Devils’ class five years ago, he earned a starting role from the get-go (played tackle for the first time as a true freshman) and then showed off his versatility between guard and center, depending on where he was needed (earned All-ACC honors in his final three seasons). Monk has graceful movements out of his stance (second-best 10-yard split among centers at the combine) and processes his surroundings quickly (coaches rave about him as a teammate and worker). His hands have moments where they are all over the place, and he gets himself in trouble when he lunges in attempts to answer power. Overall, Monk doesn’t have elite size and strength, which puts more of a premium on his technique, but his foot quickness and football IQ belong on an NFL roster. He projects best as a backup center who can fill in at guard in a pinch.

Round 5, No. 169: Kitan Oladapo, S, Oregon State (#11 S / 4th-5th round projected)

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Oregon State, Oladapo was a versatile safety in defensive coordinator Trent Bray’s hybrid 3-3-5 stack. A former walk-on at cornerback, he transitioned to safety in Corvallis and earned All-Pac-12 honors each of the last three seasons. Oladapo confidently reads run/pass and aggressively drives downhill with competitive urgency to make impactful tackles. His average twitch and build-up speed out of transitions will be more noticeable versus NFL receivers, but his route awareness helps keep him stay connected in coverage. Overall, Oladapo doesn’t have ideal top-end speed or rangy ball skills for deep coverage, but he is a good-sized athlete who trusts his sightlines and enjoys making noise in the run game. He projects best as a down safety who can also earn his paycheck on special teams.

Round 6, No. 202: Travis Glover, OT, Georgia State (#20 OT / 6th-7th round projected)

SUMMARY: A five-year starter at Georgia State, Glover lined up primarily at left tackle in former head coach Shawn Elliott’s balanced offense. With 57 career starts (second most in school history), he showed steady improvements over the years and played his best as a super senior. He continued that momentum with standout weeks at the Hula Bowl and Senior Bowl. A big-bodied blocker, Glover transfers his immense body force into his hands to jolt at contact, and he often goes back for seconds with his punishing mentality. Though he appears heavy at times in space, he relies on his length to reassert himself and save his feet from the quicksand. Overall, Glover isn’t an explosive athlete, and achieving leverage will be a constant battle for him, but he also isn’t a slug and looks for ways to unleash his power in all areas. Given his experience at both tackle and guard, he can provide depth at multiple spots on a team’s depth chart.

Round 7, No. 245: Michael Pratt, QB, Tulane (#8 QB / 3rd-4th round projected)

SUMMARY: A four-year starter at Tulane, Pratt thrived in former offensive coordinator Slade Nagle’s scheme. After not playing football until high school, he showed steady improvements each season with the Green Wave, throwing a touchdown pass in 44 of his 45 games and breaking Patrick Ramsey’s school records for passing yards and passing touchdowns. Pratt is very clean in his setup and delivers a quick, accurate stroke, showing the ability to feather passes in between levels of the defense. Though he operates with rhythm from the pocket, he needs to continue developing his feel to spot the rush and hasten his process when needed. Overall, Pratt might not have the high-level physical traits to carry an NFL offense, but you don’t see panic in his game, and he has natural sense for where to go with the football. He projects as a quality NFL backup with starting upside in the right role.

Round 7, No. 255: Kalen King, CB, Penn State (#26 CB / 5th-6th round projected)

SUMMARY: A two-year starter, King was an outside cornerback in former Penn State defensive coordinator Manny Diaz’s split-coverage scheme. He put himself on the NFL radar with a standout 2022 season (No. 3 in the FBS with 21 passes defended) and looked like a future first-round pick. However, cornerback is a volatile position, and King’s 2023 tape exemplified that. He managed just two passes defended in his final college season (although, he saw fewer targets) and struggled against the top opponents on his schedule, most notably in a tough matchup again Ohio State’s Marvin Harrison Jr. Growing up with a twin who shared the same passion for football meant King had a lifelong competitor, which helped develop his tenacity and toughness. Though he is a springy athlete, his twitch can be negated by below-average long speed and underdeveloped route anticipation versus savvy receivers. Overall, King is a fluid athlete with the aggressive play personality desired for the position, but his inconsistent tackling, coverage spacing and feel for when to take chances will continue to result in volatility in his game. He is viewed as a possible safety candidate by several NFL teams.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I'm bored and simultaneously trying to ignore Monday's approach and procrastinate on house chores, so here's my projection for the Packers depth chart on Week 1.

Names are listed in order of starter --> backup --> third-string backup. Starters bolded, rookies in italics, UDFAs and players I don't think will make the final 53-man roster excluded. Ages as of the start of the season in parentheses after the name. Unsurprisingly, the roster is staying extremely young, so we might have another slow start to the season ahead of us. On the other hand, someone made a good point that our rookies are unusually old compared to who we've brought in the past few years.

Speaking of those 11 rookies, I'm projecting that 10 make the roster and 2 are Week 1 starters. Defense in particular is tough to gauge given the switch from a 3-4 to 4-3. It'll be fun to look back at this after training camp to see all the things I got wrong.

QB (3): Jordan Love (25), Sean Clifford (26), Michael Pratt (22)
Even if Pratt has a good training camp and preseason, I doubt we cut Clifford. If not, then we probably cut Pratt and move him to the practice squad.

RB (3): Josh Jacobs (26), MarShawn Lloyd (23), A. J. Dillon (26)
Maybe Dillon nominally gets the second slot in the running back depth chart, but I think he's already kind of washed and that Lloyd will get more carries than him this season. If it's really bad, I could even see us keep Wilson instead of Dillon, or maybe sign a street free agent after roster cutdowns.

WR (6): Jayden Reed (24), Christian Watson (25), Romeo Doubs (24), Dontayvion Wicks (23), Malik Heath (24), Samori Toure (26)
At this point, I don't think Watson is our #1; he might actually be behind Doubs. I was a little surprised we didn't draft a rookie here, but the whole position group is so ridiculously young that it makes sense. I'm assuming we're going to have one or two guys regress, so maybe one of them don't make it and Melton or DuBose does instead.

TE (3}: Luke Musgrave (24), Tucker Kraft (23), Tyler Davis (27)
Not much to note here. Maybe Ben Sims goes on the practice squad.

OT (4): Rasheed Walker (24), Zach Tom (25), Jordan Morgan (23), Caleb Jones (25)
I expect Travis Glover to go on the practice squad, although if Dillard doesn't make the roster then Glover probably does. Unless Morgan looks incredible from the get-go, I don't think they'll move Tom inside to start the season. However, I do expect Tom to be the center and Myers to be benched by midseason.

OG (4): Elgton Jenkins (28), Sean Rhyan (23), Royce Newman (27), Andre Dillard (28)
About the only player I don't expect to move is Jenkins, which is funny because he was kind of the prototype for our current fascination with versatile o-linemen. I think they're going to try to resurrect Dillard as a guard, which he's done a bit of before.

C (2): Josh Myers (26), Jacob Monk (23)
Long-term, the plan has to be replacing Myers here. I'm skeptical that'll happen by Week 1 though.

DT (4): Kenny Clark (28), Devonte Wyatt (26), Karl Brooks (24), Tedarrell Slaton (26), Colby Wooden (23)
Guessing we would put Colby Wooden on the practice squad.

DE (5): Rashan Gary (26), Lukas Van Ness (23), Preston Smith (31), Kingsley Enagbare (24), Brenton Cox Jr. (24)
Maybe wishful thinking for Van Ness to become a bigger part of the edge-rush rotation than Smith this year, but fingers crossed.

LB (5): Quay Walker (24), Edgerrin Cooper (22), Isaiah McDuffie (25), Ty'Ron Hopper (23), Eric Wilson (29)
I'm assuming that we're playing mostly nickel and only have two linebackers as regular starters.

CB (6): Jaire Alexander (27), Carrington Valentine (23), Eric Stokes (25), Keisean Nixon (27), Corey Ballentine (28), Kalen King (21)
Can't wait to see if the magical hamstring injury prevention technique we discovered works for Stokes and Watson. I'm excited about King and believe he'll stick.

S (5): Xavier McKinney (25), Javon Bullard (22), Anthony Johnson Jr. (24), Kitan Oladapo (23), Evan Williams (23)
I think Johnson Jr was decent enough last season in limited action to hang on to what's otherwise a total overhaul of the position. Also, I don't expect the talk about some of these safeties moving to corner to pan out unless King fails to make the roster or we have multiple injuries at corner.

LS (1): Matthew Orzech (29)
K (1): Greg Joseph (30)
P (1): Daniel Whelan (25)
I'm guessing Carlson does not bounce back.

Would love to see post-draft projections for other teams in the division! This was fun to think through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Thanks to the Lions and Bears posters who did their roster projections too! Really fun to read.

Also, I don't think most folks are putting the Packers above the third or fourth tier of teams for this upcoming season. Here's my ordering:

S tier (dynasties): Chiefs
A tier (championship contenders): 49ers, Lions, Ravens
B tier (puncher's chance contenders): Bengals, Bills, Cowboys, Eagles, Jets, Packers, Rams, Texans
C tier (playoff contenders): Bears, Browns, Bucs, Dolphins, Falcons, Jaguars, Seahawks, Steelers
D tier (puncher's chance at playoffs): Cardinals, Chargers, Colts, Saints, Vikings
F tier (regular season only): Broncos, Commanders, Giants, Patriots, Raiders, Titans
P tier (Panthers): Panthers