Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

xbilkis posted:

It's so funny because whatever Z-tier color guy was working today's game was immediately like "Yeah pass rushers in 2023 are just not gonna get tricked on the playaction on this play" and Getsy has called it, seen it not work, and continued to call it so many times

you gotta establish the sack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

adaz posted:

Goff is playing well but he's no Stafford. There's a reason he was traded away, he just can't create like Matt and he doesn't have that elite arm talent. Surround him with a solid group and one of the better OCs in the league though and yeah he's playing great. He really is, probably the best QB in the division although Kirk is actually having a great year too.

Lions have an interesting decision coming up next year ,.I think that's the last year on his contract.

Also the last year on Stafford's contract in LA, if you want to plan out some fairytales

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

He's signed through 2026, OP.

Strictly true, but those last two years are not designed to be played under I'm p sure

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hah, fair. I looked at it on OTC - if he is still playing at a high level after 2024 the numbers are pretty team friendly, which is why I felt like mentioning it.
2024: $49,500,000
2025: $50,500,000
2026: $49,500,000

Yeah, the fairytale is that LA give up on him and Detroit call him up for that one last ride. It's wildly unlikely, but fun to think about.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Kirios posted:

Hey, Lions fans…

Texans fan here, so I largely understand what you’ve gone through over the years. What’s…it like being a fan of a historically awful team and to finally see them become top tier finally?

I’d imagine it must feel incredible.

Remember how it felt when you thought Matt Schaub was something? That, but with Jared Goff.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

MJeff posted:

Okay, but Case signed with the Vikings to be their backup QB in March, then he became their starter. That's not what I mean. I'm not talking about a guy who signed as the backup, had a full offseason, camp and preseason as the backup, then had to take the starting job. That's what your backup is for.

I'm talking about a guy who did his offseason, camp, preseason all preparing to play on one team (or just spent the offseason on his couch, I guess) and then during the season, went to a different one, like Baker did last year. It seems like an extremely rare thing, I always assumed because QBs kind of need all of that time in camp to learn the offense and it's not really a plug-and-play thing so I was wondering if there was any precedent for it.

You son of a bitch you made me remember Josh Freeman, who was the Bucs starter in 2013 before he got cut halfway through the season, signed for the Vikings, started against the Giants a week later, got concussed, then failed to displace the combined might of Christian Ponder and Matt Cassel on the depth chart.

soggybagel posted:

Which is to say, this still could also be a disaster but maybe it'll be fun? Or it could be a disaster and fun!

Ah yes, The Joe Webb Experience

Vando fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 1, 2023

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I don't know why in this day and age there isn't some fancy electronic system for reporting eligible so you're not relying on a ref to correctly discern between two large men on critical plays. The number of times they call penalties on the wrong lineman for false starts every week pretty much proves they can't do this task reliably.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Even if some Packers players got selected to the Pro Bowl they won't be going because they'll be prepping for the Super Bowl that weekend.

I didn't know so many of them were Lions fans!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

IcePhoenix posted:

I would like to state that the Vikings not paying Kirk a contract like that is the opposite of getting hosed. Which makes it even funnier because the Falcons didn't even need to tamper.

You best believe that the Vikings will be insisting that losing Kirk is crippling to the team and really truly the only way to make it right is to provide some compensation which could be used to acquire a starting quarterback and oh would you believe it, that usually involves first round picks :getin:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The Vikings have managed fewer than 5 wins like once in the past ~40 years, and that required trying to use the ghost of Donovan McNabb as QB.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Wild to think how close the Vikings were to getting Luck that year though

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

St. Blaize posted:

I can see a lot of fans confusing entertaining for good when it’s really only the exciting plays that get stuck in your head

Ah yes I see you're familiar with The Joe Webb QB Experience

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

ZombieCrew posted:

Have you considered that all the qbs ever drafted by the bears were just not that good to begin with? Qbs are elusive for the bears just as playoff wins are for the lions. We're due.

The Vikings have it as bad if not worse than the Bears for drafting QBs, but they're at least better at picking up serviceable free agents I guess

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

trevorreznik posted:

C'mon, you had Culpepper

That was 20 years ago, this is now also ancient history

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If Bridgewater is a hit Trubisky is a hit

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

IcePhoenix posted:

draft position matters

Not for "is a QB good" type questions, sure the expectations may have been higher but if they perform roughly the same they're still just as good as each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

SirPablo posted:

Wtf Harrison Smith? Why? Dude is upstanding.

I guess he did stand next to Andrew Sendejo a bunch