Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Braxton Jones is pretty simple.

He is good at moving his feet and like the technical parts of blocking.

Dude just desperately needs to put on strength and weight so he can't get bull rushed. It's like his only glaring flaw.

For a 5th round rookie out of an FCS school, I thought he held his own well. I wouldn't hand him the starting job or anything, but replacing him would be low on my priority list.

Bears need an OG, OT, CB, and entire defensive line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Thielen will be 33 next year and is not the same receiver he was. That is a terrible contract however.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That seems like a really good trade. That 2024 1st is going to be really valuable too.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

surf rock posted:

I know it's too early to be confident about this stuff, but how were Poles' draft picks from 2022? Did he knock it out of the park?

Pretty bad. Gordon was a 2nd who turned out to be one of the worst corners in football. Jones was a 3rd who will probably not even be on the active gameday roster next season.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Moore is on a really cap-friendly deal too for the next 3 years. So they can really dump a ton of money into OL and DL in free agency.

Interested to see who they go with at #9. I doubt Carter falls that far (although they have draft capital to move up if he is on the board at #6 or #7. There's some elite corners that should be available like Porter Jr and Gonzalez from Oregon. Wouldn't have a problem with them trading down again if Levis is on the board and someone like the Commanders or Lions are desperate to move up to get him.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Velus Jones showed some things when he was forced to be a reciever after everyone was hurt. Needs to work on that whole catching thing tho lol. Braxton Jones showed he has the skill to be a pretty decent left tackle, Homie just needs to live in the weight room.

Shout out to Lovie Smith, you a real one.

Receiving group is pretty good right now and I just don't see how he sees the field without some injuries. Right now he's #5 on the depth chart and that's before they make any moves in the offseason. If he could play special teams I can see him being active, but he can't catch punts.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

Now to start a prayer circle that the Panthers pick Richardson and keep Darnold as a bridge QB so that 2024 first can land as high as possible

I was actually kind of against trading with Carolina specifically because I thought they were having a really good offseason and plugging in Young/Stroud at QB in such a trash division could have them competitive very quickly. However, looking at their offensive situation now that Moore is gone…yeesh. At least they still have that trash division thing going for them

I can't see a path where the Panthers are not in the bottom 10 of the league next year. Rookie QB and they just traded away their #1 receiver. I don't think they have much cap space either. If anything, they probably overachieved a little last season.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

adaz posted:

It wouldn't surprise me to see Chicago extend him and give him a huge base salary this year. They have a bunch of cash they _have_ to spend and it's better to do that and make him happy then blowing it on street free agents

He still has 3 years left. I think they'd be happy extending him but I also feel like Moore probably wants to be a free agent at 28 instead of 30.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Velus Jones and DJ Moore are the same age.

Jones wasn't even a good wide receiver in college. It was a bad pick from the start and hopefully just chalking it up to Poles 1st draft jitters or something. He needs a strong draft this year though.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

I think Carolina has the best coaching staff in the league and their pick will be below the bears next year

They are one of the least talented teams in the league. Their offense should be worse next year, their defense was already bad, and they don't have a ton of cap space to improve. No matter who is coaching that team, I just don't see how that pick isn't in the top 10 next year.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

One added bonus of the trade is that if Fields doesn't pan out, the Bears will have two good 1st round picks next season to find another QB. It's a nice hedge they will hopefully not have to worry about.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I would not be sad if they traded down again. Someone like Levis might be on the board at #9. There's good options for the Bears, but it seems like you can get similar value at 12 or 16 if you wanted to add some more draft capital down the road. Like is Skoronski that much better than Paris Johnson or Broderick Jones?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

how the gently caress are the panthers going to be decent next year lol.

Like I'm not deeply entrenched in their roster, but uh, they lost their best reciever, and will be starting a rookie QB, with no running game.

Their defense also sucks and they have no cap space. I just don't see a scenario where they win more than 6 games next year.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

His name is Skoronski. He belongs on the bears

I don't know much about him besides seeing someone say he has short arms.

RD Mangles, would you be happy with your fellow Wildcat protecting our lord and savior Justin Fields?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Someone wake Poles and tell him all the good players are being signed by other teams.

This hurts.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1635343192697749507?t=_iNZlLouJ6j4MmPWh5MfJw&s=19

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sataere posted:

Just because you have a ton of money doesn't mean you need to overpay. Wait for the first wave of free agency to pass and get value. That is what good teams do.

The Super Bowl champs just signed Taylor and the 49ers just signed Hargrave. The good teams seem to be trying to add the good players and not worrying about value.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

GNU Order posted:

If this clears the way for Lamar in GB I'm loving done with this stupid sport

Don't even joke.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

i didnt think kyler gordon was that bad, lol

He was like the worst corner in football. Might be worse than the Velus Jones pick which is saying something.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This seems like a really good deal for the best Center in free agency. Hope there is someone else lined up for the Bears.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1635365278593982465

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Guessing that means Whitehair is getting cut.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Basically got Edmunds, Edwards, a 2nd, and a 5th for Roquan.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think the linebackers will matter much as long as the line is trash, but hoping there is some help on the way there.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That 49ers line is going to be incredible.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sataere posted:

This makes me feel better about the move. He's a huge upgrade from Morrow. Also should be familiar with the defense since Leslie Frazier was your DC. I don't hate this move.

It's a lot of money at a position where you usually don't invest much. And it doesn't fix the Bears biggest weaknesses on defense. Bears still need 3 d-linemen and a corner to make that defense semi-competitive.

I would much rather have Hargrave, but maybe he wanted to go to a winner or the Bears have other plans for the line.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Another good DL off the board.

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1635381240793817099

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

They do neeeed a 3 Tech tho.

They need someone who can get pressure on the edge too. I just don't think the linebackers matter when you are running practice squad caliber players up front.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

GNU Order posted:

Or he finally gets moved back to center.

He was always a center. James Daniels was always a guard. I have no clue why the Nagy regime moved them in the first place, and they were clearly wrong about it because James Daniels was one of the best guards in the game last season

Whitehair can't snap in shotgun and the market for good centers seems to be cheap (can't believe they missed on Pocic). My guess is it's Patrick's job to lose or they draft someone.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Edmunds fits the system of a coach that will probably be fired in 2 years better than Roquan did I guess.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Get me Dre'mont Jones and I'll be happy. This draft has so many good edge rushers that they can take a couple shots in the 1st or 2nd round. I just can't watch dudes like Mike Pennel anymore.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

poo poo

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1635451944507670528?t=rvOR5Q_NGW0kWIVJV8vBRg&s=19

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Love to create a ton of cap space and then not sign any good players with it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

"SMH we gotta fire poles, he gave out all these bad contracts two years ago, and now the Bears are hosed when they have to resign Fields" - Alt Universe Nirwad in 2 years

They went 3-14 last year man

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Not to mention the teams that "win" free agency, are teams that find and sign value deals and overperform them.

Teams like the 49ers and Chiefs don't know what they are doing signing stars for big money.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Yeah, I'm well aware. It's Monday. Free Agency isn't over, trades are still available, etc etc.

Freak out and lose your mind when we have a more complete picture.

Like man the Bears signed the starting LT and LB that started the entire year a couple of years ago during training camp lol.

The stars are mostly gone. The whole point of having a QB on a rookie deal is you can spend on stars at other positions.

You have $100 million in cap space and dont bother improving the worst offensive and defensive line in football.

We will see how it pans out for them next season.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

NFL superstars like Dre'mont Jones and Mike McGlinchey - there isn't a football fan alive who doesn't know these names

I get passing on McGlinchey at that price tag. Jones is really good though and that's a really fair deal. Going to go out on a limb and say he would be an improvement on Mike Pennel and Armon Watts. But I guess we will see.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sataere posted:

Hargrave is closer to a star than Brown.

True. Brown is only 26 and was one of the best interior pass rushers in football last year.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

surf rock posted:

How much cap space could Chicago roll over to next season, incidentally? I know there's a cap floor; can they roll over anything unspent above that point?

They can rollover around $23 million to next season if they wanted to. They had a $9.5 million rollover this year but lost $4.5 million of that to a bonus they had to pay out to Riley Reiff (:lol:).

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

With respect to Lance, I don't think they spent $50 million guaranteed to have Edmnuds play the Mike. Pretty sure he will be in the Darius Leonard role.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Hasn't Randall Cobb been washed for like 3 years now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

How was Northwestern so bad?

https://twitter.com/ggabefootball/status/1635786128077778946?t=yR0UuZF27EilNAE-DP0foQ&s=19